PDA

View Full Version : DownMat in a hammock?

wabi
07-31-2010, 21:27
Saw an Exped DownMat at this link (http://www.rei.com/product/780361) on REI's site.
Just curious as to whether an inflatable pad would work in a hammock (I have a DD Frontline w/double bottom).

Just Jeff
07-31-2010, 22:06
Search the site a bit...there are dozens of threads about inflatable pads, and the Downmat in particular. I've used the Downmat 7 with no SPE or anything down to the teens. It's warm into the 20s, and acceptable in the teens.

slowhike
07-31-2010, 22:12
Yep, I sleep on one every night in my hammock. I use it partly inflated so it conforms to my body if I'm sleeping on my side or back. It's great for me!
If you enter Exped in the HF search box you will get about 20 pages of threads. I'd go to the "last page" & start there to find some of the earlier threads about using them. Just be sure to look at the thread titles & find threads that seam to be about using that kind of air mat.

doheir
08-03-2010, 08:02
I use an Exped Downmat 9 in my JRB Bridge Hammock. Coldest so far is down to zero degrees in the winter, and it's been OK. The newer models have a better pump, and my older one with the inflating stuff sack is kind of a bother.

You may need the largest one - mine is 25" wide, and I wouldn't want to go narrower in the winter because the pad wraps around you somewhat.

Doug

Festus Hagen
08-03-2010, 08:56
It's one thing if you already *have* a pad or what have you, but I can't think why you'd want to spend this much for a pad to use in a hammock unless you're thinking of "plan b" (sleeping on the ground because of park rules or being above the tree line).

DD's very own underblanket (http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/underblankets) is a pretty nice piece, should cost about the same as the Downmat you linked to, and should work great with your Frontline (as it does with my DD Traveler). Used together with a sleeping bag, I've slept blissfully down to -13F, and adding a CCF pad or two in the double-bottom of the DD is always an option just in case it gets COLD ;-)

Don't get me wrong; there are lots of better UQ choices especially if you are backpacking (the DD is about as heavy and bulky as my synthetic 15 bag) but for the money it's great IMO.

wabi
08-05-2010, 16:21
Tried my old self-inflating mat between the bottom double layers of the DD hammock and quickly found this is NOT the way to go. :scared:
Mat shifted every time I moved during the night. The CCF pad stays in place when I use it. Guess the SI mat is too slick.

The DD underblanket may be a better option for my budget. ;)