PDA

View Full Version : Molly Mac Gear IX Hammock Sock

MacEntyre
08-01-2010, 18:03
MollyMacGear web site (http://www.MollyMacGear.com) is updated with information on the Molly Mac Gear Box (http://www.MollyMacGear.com/box.html) and the IX Hammock Sock (http://www.MollyMacGear.com/new.html).

The IX Hammock Sock was first described in this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13387&highlight=SEEP+hammock+sock).

- MacEntyre

Harpo63
08-01-2010, 18:11
Just what I was looking for... so conceivably... using the IX sock, you could use your 3 season quilts in the winter? or a 4 season UQ and a 3 season TQ?

MacEntyre
08-01-2010, 18:50
Just what I was looking for... so conceivably... using the IX sock, you could use your 3 season quilts in the winter? or a 4 season UQ and a 3 season TQ?
Yes!

I used mine with the PeaPod in 13*F and had to ventilate the PPod. I used it at Mt Rogers in 8*F with four layers of IX and was toasty.

It is amazing how much warmth the top provides.

- MacEntyre

Wolverine
08-01-2010, 19:01
I've watched a couple of your videos the last few days. I have just a few questions about the IX 3/4 UQ. I've worked hard to get my ENO DBN just right, so I don't want to end up sleeping like a Taco. I've seen the ENO Ember, and I'm just not convinced about the fit. What type of cut is the 3/4 IX UQ? Is it a differential cut? Does it also have draw cords at each end in addition to the long axis? Would it be possible to get a custom made UQ, I'm thinking about a outside layer of ripstop followed by Ix then polyester poncho liner, and then a final layer of ix? Good job on your video presentations. I've read a lot of your posts, it's good to put a face to a name. Thanks.

MacEntyre
08-01-2010, 19:33
What type of cut is the 3/4 IX UQ? Is it a differential cut?
Yes! That guarantees a tiny separation of the layers, which is necessary with IX.

BTW, the bottom of the IX Hammock Sock is differential cut as well.

Does it also have draw cords at each end in addition to the long axis?
There are no drawcords at all! The IX UQs are heavily darted, so they have the right shape from the beginning. At each end are long loops of shock cord tied to the corners. All you have to do is adjust the tension to get rid of any gaps.

Would it be possible to get a custom made UQ, I'm thinking about a outside layer of ripstop followed by Ix then polyester poncho liner, and then a final layer of ix?
I'll provide a custom cover for the existing IX UQs, but I am not set up to add insulation other than IX.

What you have described sounds like an AHE KAQ with the IX option (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1134818). Check them out!

Good job on your video presentations. I've read a lot of your posts, it's good to put a face to a name. Thanks.
You are entyrely welcome! Thank you!

I've said recently that the Baby Orca, the 3/4 IX UQ with black breathable nylon outer cover, is my favorite... but I am sure that when the snow flies, the IX Hammock Sock once again will be my favorite. I used it a lot last winter. I'm looking forward to using it in conjunction with the Baby Orca, as well as my Vintage Speer Snugfit and Speer IIIA Hammock!

It's funny... I never use a bugnet in the summer, but I always use a sock in the winter!

- MacEntyre

texashanger
08-02-2010, 13:16
will the hammock sock work with a WBBB, or is there a custom model for the WBBB?

Also, using the sock would you also need an IX UQ or would you just use some other form of insulation (old sleeping bag, etc.)...

MacEntyre
08-02-2010, 14:22
will the hammock sock work with a WBBB, or is there a custom model for the WBBB?
I've figured out how to make UQs that fit WB hammocks, and work for everyone else as well! The IX Hammock Sock I just made is for a Traveler, and will work for all gathered end hammocks... unless you want to use the Blackbird tie outs.

When I made the IX Hammock Sock for the Traveler, I also made another one for the Blackbird that allows you to use the tie outs. It uses Paul Gibson's BBO for a top. I did not want to make a one piece sock, and then put slits in it for the tie-outs, which would not allow the SEEP to close completely. So, I made it for use with the BBO top.

So, Yes! I have an IX Hammock Sock for the WBBB, and it uses the BBO for a top!

Also, using the sock would you also need an IX UQ or would you just use some other form of insulation (old sleeping bag, etc.)...
Depends on two things:
1) how many layers of IX are in the sock, and
2) how cold is it!

An IX Hammock Sock with one layer of IX (plus a Torso Heater, which I put in everything) may get you to freezing by itself. Three layers of IX in the Sock should get you to zeroF.

- MacEntyre

Harpo63
08-02-2010, 15:07
When I made the IX Hammock Sock for the Traveler, I also made another one for the Blackbird that allows you to use the tie outs. It uses Paul Gibson's BBO for a top. I did not want to make a one piece sock, and then put slits in it for the tie-outs, which would not allow the SEEP to close completely. So, I made it for use with the BBO top.

So, Yes! I have an IX Hammock Sock for the WBBB, and it uses the BBO for a top!

Umm... Im trying to picture this... The WBBB IX hammock sock is basically the BBO and IX UQ combined- sewed together or two seperate pieces?

MacEntyre
08-02-2010, 15:19
The WBBB IX hammock sock is basically the BBO and IX UQ combined-
No, it is the BBO plus the IX Hammock Sock without the top. The lower portion of the MMG IX Hammock Sock is made like a dory, with a bottom and two sides, radically shaped so they come together at the ends.

The IX UQ is one piece heavily darted. There are no darts in the IX Hammock Sock, but the bottom has layers that are differentially cut, and a Torso Heater inside.

...sewed together or two seperate pieces?
No need to sew them together. They are separate pieces that overlap. The IX Hammock Sock goes right up to the BB netting.

Clear as mud? ;)

Harpo63
08-02-2010, 15:46
clear as mucky mud! Thanks Mac

Harpo63
08-03-2010, 19:13
Hey Mac... I plan to buy a IX UQ for my BB so I can travel light when I go to Africa in October. Id also like a sock for colder weather hangs. Im wondering if the Universal IX UQ and the IX sock bottom half that goes with the BBO are basically the same- Im wondering if I only need to buy the Sock for the BB and use the bottom portion like the IX UQ? Not sure if they are basically the same thing only with the BBO added on top?

MacEntyre
08-03-2010, 19:47
Im wondering if the Universal IX UQ and the IX sock bottom half that goes with the BBO are basically the same-
They are different sizes... the sock bottom covers the entire BB from one end to the other, except the bugnet.

Im wondering if I only need to buy the Sock for the BB and use the bottom portion like the IX UQ?
You could do that, but the sock bottom is at least twice the weight of the Universal IX UQ.

Bunk
08-27-2010, 17:12
Hey Mac,

I first just want to say that I really enjoy your videos. Your innovations are awesome!!!

I was going to go with a down full length underquilt for my cold weather hangs...which for me will be spring, fall, and winter. Living in Ontario and depending on which river I'm on it is common to have warm days and cold nights from August through to May.

After looking at your website and sifting through your innovations I am now starting to lean towards one of your hammock socks. I like the qualities insultex has and the price. I believe one of your socks could make a great 4 season set up with the right amount of insultex layers...and there is my question. I am debating on whether to go with 3 or 4 layers? I'm not too concerned about being too warm as I can flip the sock open for increased ventilation should I have a warm night.

So for temps dipping down to 15-25 degrees celcius am I best going with 3 or 4 layers of inultex built into the sock or should I just get a couple of layers and then buy the seperate IX UQ's. I do like the idea of having them all part of the sock but would like to know what you think?

Whatever I end up with I promise to give a good review while trying it out on a cold Canadian winter night! ;)

One more question...how do you find breathing when the sock is closed? When I was watching your video on it I pretty well started getting short of breath just watching you lay in it with it closed...lol...just wondering? :)

MacEntyre
08-30-2010, 06:14
I first just want to say that I really enjoy your videos. Your innovations are awesome!!!
Thank you very much, Bunk!

So for temps dipping down to 15-25 degrees celcius...
15*C is 59*F... not very cold at all! You need only one layer of IX in the sock. If you are a very cold sleeper, you might need more.

how do you find breathing when the sock is closed?
Do you mean claustrophobia? That's why I made the SEEP 66" long. It is easy to open, and easy to exit.

Bunk
08-30-2010, 11:31
Thank you for the reply Mac!

Ugh...I'm sorry I meant minus 15-20 degrees celcius (so 0*F to -5*F)...what would you suggest?

MacEntyre
08-30-2010, 12:46
...minus 15-20 degrees celcius (so 0*F to -5*F)...what would you suggest?
I think four layers will do fine. I was toasty at 8*F on Mt Rogers with 4 layers of IX under the hammock, inside the single layer IX Sock. Those were four layers of sit pads plus raw IX, not a fitted IX UQ.

You can build four layers into the sock, or you can use a separate Universal IX UQ with one IX Insert. There are two benefits to keeping them separate. First, they can be used independently. Second, you will be able to use other types of insulation (like a down UQ or TQ) with the sock, under the hammock.

Mickey.223
09-14-2010, 11:13
Mac,
I've really enjoyed the Youtube videos and other threads regarding your HS and I'm extremely interested in one of these. I'd like to use it as a supplement to my UQ/TQ solution for when the mercury takes an unexpected dive...and as an emergency insulation in the event my gear gets wet. I think a 2-layer HS will suite my needs for winter temps here in PA. Have you settled on a venting solution to allow the moisture to escape?

Cheers,
Kyle

MacEntyre
09-14-2010, 11:20
Have you settled on a venting solution to allow the moisture to escape?
Yes! It's part of the materials and part of the design. The sock is covered in breathable nylon, and the SEEP does not fasten closed.

Mickey.223
09-14-2010, 11:46
Yes! It's part of the materials and part of the design. The sock is covered in breathable nylon, and the SEEP does not fasten closed.

Oh...sorry. I thought I read in the "op" that you had some condensation build up during a particularly cold night and were actively investigating ways to incorporate vents into the design.

Cheers,
Kyle

MacEntyre
09-14-2010, 14:15
Oh...sorry. I thought I read in the "op" that you had some condensation build up during a particularly cold night and were actively investigating ways to incorporate vents into the design.
I've never seen condensation in the IX Hammock Sock, other than frost from my breath on the inside of the roof.

I believe I have written about incorporating vents, but I can't find any posts on the topic. It's the chemical engineer in me that wants to design a heat exchanging passive vent for a hammock sock... but who has the time?

- MacEntyre