PDA

View Full Version : Working with the SuperShelter and a UL

Bazzer
10-10-2007, 21:22
I have just purchased a SS and when putting it and the pad under my HH UL I am having problems getting the hammock to set like it does without the SS. I have tried to put the guys as far out as I can, I have rigged the shockcords as HH suggest, but the hammock is still bunched up inside the SS undercover. It looks like to me that the SS is smaller than it needs to be. Is this possible? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Barry

BillyBob58
10-10-2007, 21:46
I have just purchased a SS and when putting it and the pad under my HH UL I am having problems getting the hammock to set like it does without the SS. I have tried to put the guys as far out as I can, I have rigged the shockcords as HH suggest, but the hammock is still bunched up inside the SS undercover. It looks like to me that the SS is smaller than it needs to be. Is this possible? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Barry

I think that is a common problem with the SS, it does tend to narrow the hammock some. Make sure you don't have it drawn to tight on the suspension attachments. That will make the UC longer and more narrow and act sort of like hanging with to little sag.

I have sometimes doubled back thru the side exit hole for the doubled up ( at least double) elastic. IOW, doubled up elastic thru the pad loop and out the undercover in normal fashion. But don't go to the stake yet. First, back towards the hammock, over the top of the undercover, down and back out the undercover exit a 2nd time, then to the stake or tarp d-rings. This might help.

I have also thought about attaching one of those super light weight Grip-Clips to the undercover and running an extra line ( elastic maybe) from the UC to the ground or tarp side d-rings. But I haven't tried this yet.

MacEntyre
10-17-2007, 13:44
Of course! Maybe I can eliminate the entrance cutting my left leg like a rope by easing the UC tension.

When I left mine rigged with SS and pad, so I could use it for a couple of days, the entrance migrated up the left side, from my POV lying down in the hammock.

EDIT: I hung the hammock, slacked off the UC, looped the tie-outs over the edge of the UC, and staked the tie-outs a bit tighter than I did before. Much better! Now there is far more room on the asymmetric diagonal, where I belong. The entrance doesn't feel as much like a rope under my leg. The UC entrance still migrates up, away from the hammock entrance.