PDA

View Full Version : Replace stock rope with amsteel

BlueSkies
08-05-2010, 02:08
Has anyone replaced the stock black rope that runs through the end channel on the double nest with 7/64 amsteel continuous loops? Not really for any particular reason, if I needed to drop a few ounces in my camping stuff, it's easiest to just skip dinner the night before ...

I have a few loops that I had bought with something else in my head, but ended up not using them in that spot, so I thought maybe I'd just replace those stock ropes, but then got to wondering if the channel would be adversely effected by the much thinner amsteel, acting even more like a saw blade. Thoughts? If you have done it did you rig it differently?

oldgringo
08-05-2010, 04:03
It's done all the time, usually in concert with a suspension upgrade.

bigbamaguy
08-05-2010, 09:25
If you are worried about the integrity of the channel on the ENO DN when you install the amsteel loops, place a section of tubular webbing in the channel then feed the amsteel through that. You would not need mush of the webbing. But like OG said, "no worries, its done all the time." Occassionaly check the channel for wear, just as a precaution.

Bubba
08-05-2010, 14:27
When I first switched to amsteel I used the channels with no problems (now I just wrap it around the gathered hammock end)

thekalimist
08-05-2010, 14:31
i replaced mine on an identical hammock but just girth hitched a chain link around the gathered end. it works like a charm- highly suggested.

not only will you be saving weight youre also saving alot of space as amsteel seems to be quite a bit more packable than cored rope

nine16ths
08-05-2010, 15:32
I just did this last night, in fact. Over the past few days I used only the information/tutorials on this site to create the following out of 7/64 amsteel blue:

2 12" continuous loops/chain links
1 80 - 110 inch "whoopie" ridgeline
2 24 - 72 inch "whoopie slings"
8 soft shackles

additionally, i got my line from reddenmarine.com as mentioned here.

last night I assembled everything with 2 aluminum climbing rings from REI to basically look like this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4441118183_d6f0e00517.jpg

and if you're worried about strength, i'd say, "don't be." before this, i was just using the whoopie slings larks-headed directly through the ENO channel and did several hangs, including some with around 350 lbs swinging in the whole thing (wife, 2 3-year olds, & me). when i re-did the channel last night it looked intact.

Boris Losdindawoods
08-05-2010, 16:15
I just did this last night, in fact. Over the past few days I used only the information/tutorials on this site to create the following out of 7/64 amsteel blue:

2 12" continuous loops/chain links
1 80 - 110 inch "whoopie" ridgeline
2 24 - 72 inch "whoopie slings"
8 soft shackles

additionally, i got my line from reddenmarine.com as mentioned here.

last night I assembled everything with 2 aluminum climbing rings from REI to basically look like this:
and if you're worried about strength, i'd say, "don't be." before this, i was just using the whoopie slings larks-headed directly through the ENO channel and did several hangs, including some with around 350 lbs swinging in the whole thing (wife, 2 3-year olds, & me). when i re-did the channel last night it looked intact.

Congrats! It's ridiculously fun, isn't it?!?!

Boris

BlueSkies
08-05-2010, 19:30
Awesome! Thanks everybody. I'll swap 'em out tonight.

BlueSkies
08-05-2010, 22:53
Nine16ths Did you larksheads around the ring and then feed the loop through the channel and then just do a girth hitch?

nine16ths
08-06-2010, 06:24
Nine16ths Did you larksheads around the ring and then feed the loop through the channel and then just do a girth hitch?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_hitch

same knot, right? unless HF commonly means something different...

But yes, I made a 2-pass/loop version of that knot through both the hammock's channel, and the climbing ring.

GrizzlyAdams
08-06-2010, 07:22
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_hitch

same knot, right? unless HF commonly means something different...

But yes, I made a 2-pass/loop version of that knot through both the hammock's channel, and the climbing ring.

same knot. On the right side of the page you point to it gives alternative names : Cow hitch, Lark's head, Lark's foot, Girth hitch, Ring hitch, Lanyard hitch, Baggage Tag Loop.

And since it's Wikipedia, it must be true, right? :cool:

nine16ths
08-06-2010, 08:39
And since it's Wikipedia, it must be true, right? :cool:

of course. if wikipedia doesn't support my case, then give me 5 minutes and it will!

BlueSkies
08-06-2010, 12:07
Ahhhhh the error of may ways. I always thought of a girth hitch as a one pass version, and a larks head as 2 or more passes ... Can't believe my grandpa did me such an injustice.

[hanging my head in shame]

oldgringo
08-06-2010, 13:03
Disclaimer: I'm no knot maven.

To the best of my understanding, a larkshead with multiple passes becomes a Prusik knot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik

gargoyle
08-06-2010, 14:01
Ahhhhh the error of may ways. I always thought of a girth hitch as a one pass version, and a larks head as 2 or more passes ... Can't believe my grandpa did me such an injustice.

[hanging my head in shame]

Gramps taught you what he knew, revel in it, and raise your head.

BlueSkies
08-06-2010, 14:45
Thanks gargoyle, I was the only 7 year old I knew who could tie a really good bowline. [at least I hope it was a bowline ... maybe it's just a square knot]
:)