PDA

View Full Version : 1mm Insultex receives R rating of 3

MacEntyre
08-06-2010, 07:12
Pedro made me aware of this article (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Innovative-Designs-Completes-iw-1230989362.html?x=0&.v=1) announcing the completion of the development of Insultex House Wrap. I have found nothing that describes Insultex House Wrap, so I do not know how it differs, if at all, from Insultex that we use. I suspect that there is no difference. The testing required by the building materials industry provides some good information for us.

From the article:

...R-Value approaching 3.
Four separate tests showed results of 2.92, 2.71, 2.89 and 2.85. The average result being 2.84.

Water Vapor Transmission - ASTM E-96-05
Insultex®
House-Wrap received 'high' Water Vapor Transmission results.

Pliability Test - Section 3.3.4 of ICC-ESAC 38
Insultex® House-Wrap showed no cracking in extreme cold during this 24 hour test.

Water Resistance - AATCC 127-1998
Insultex® House-Wrap held 55cm of water for a 5 hour period passing the test.

Dry Breaking Force - ASTM D 5034-09
Insultex® House-Wrap passed the 20 minute test.

UV Exposure Test - Section 4.1.2 of ICC-ES AC 38
Insultex® House-Wrap was exposed to UV lamps for 10 hours over a 21 day period. No cracking occurred, passing the test.

Accelerated Aging Test - Section 4.1.3 of ICC-ES AC 38
Insultex® House-Wrap was oven-dried at 120°F for 3 hours, followed by air-drying for 18 hours. Insultex® House-Wrap showed no cracking, passing the test.

Flame and Smoke Test - ASTM E84-09
Insultex® House-Wrap received a Flame Spread Classification rating of 10, and a Smoke Developed rating of 25.

- MacEntyre

WV
08-06-2010, 07:42
Looking at IDI's financial disclosure forms on the web, I found that Insultex was invented in Korea, is manufactured in Indonesia, and is distributed worldwide (except one or two places in the far east) by IDI. They use the same stuff in cold weather clothing, flotation clothing, and now housewrap.

Crash
08-06-2010, 10:58
They use the same stuff in cold weather clothing, flotation clothing, and now housewrap.

IDI makes kids swim wear out of Insultex to replace 'floaties'.
All you Paddlers out there be advised: So if we hang over a stream and fall in, hold onto your underquilt and float on down!

Mac is keeping us from freezing and drowning!
Can other underquilts do that? - LOL:lol:

Hetairoi
08-06-2010, 11:39
IDI makes kids swim wear out of Insultex to replace 'floaties'.
All you Paddlers out there be advised: So if we hang over a stream and fall in, hold onto your underquilt and float on down!

Mac is keeping us from freezing and drowning!
Can other underquilts do that? - LOL:lol:

Do I hear 6 x 1 quilts! It's also a BOAT! :lol:

NCPatrick
08-06-2010, 11:47
Do I hear 6 x 1 quilts! It's also a BOAT! :lol:
That explains the Dory shaped UQ's!

pedro
08-06-2010, 14:31
I spoke to a rep from IDI the other day, and he said that the house wrap had an additional layer of some type of vapor barrier laminated to the regular IX. We didn't get too far into specifics. Hopefully the house wrap will become available, to contractors at least, within another year. IMI does not have an official rollout date. The first batch of the housewrap just got shipped from the factory to IMI and they are not saying who the distributors are going to be yet.
The situation is ALMOST as super-top-secret as Dutch Biners! :laugh: