PDA

View Full Version : Full hammock Setup for ~13 oz and $360

SGT Rock
08-08-2010, 18:43
I got to thinking about this on another thread: what someone could do to make a one pound kit.

So here are some pieces one could buy and only have to know how to tie a couple of knots to make a SUL hammock.

- Hammock: Grand Trunk Nano7 - without the biners. 4.91 ounces ~$70

- Suspension: 6' Dynaglide Whoopie Slings from www.whoopieslings.com. 0.64 ounces $18.55. Arrowhead Equipment also sells them but I don't know the weight.

- Toggles: Arrow toggles from www.whoopieslings.com 0.18 ounces $4

- Tree Straps: Variety of sources. Your pick... ~2.00 ounces. ~$15

- Hammock Ridge-line: 1.75mm utility line from Arrowhead Equipment. Length will vary based on your comfort and how you tie knots, but 9' of line would probably be a good start. ~0.21 ounces $2.25

- Stuff Sack: Medium cuben stuff sack from www.Zpacks.com. 0.25 ounces $12.95

- Tarp Ridge-Line and Strings: 50' of yellow and 50' of black 1.25mm spectra cord from Zpacks. You won't need all this but they sell it in 50' lengths. you need about 26' of black and 40' of yellow. 0.32 ounces for the ridge-line and 0.35 ounces for the tarp strings. $25.90

- Tarp: To exactly replicate my tarp you need a 7'x9' cuben tarp from Zpacks.com with 16 tie out points. That would be 4.45oz for $210. There are other tarp options out there if you don't want the rectangle.

So far to get all that you only need to know a couple of knots and have some cash. It would get you at about 13.31 ounces for the hammock, suspension, weather protection, and storage - for about $360 not including shipping from these various places.

The only hole in buying one at this point would be getting the net. I have been approached by one cottage gear maker that wants to try it. I wish him luck and won't out who it is until he decides he can do it. If someone makes a clone, I have no idea on price, maybe $40? And the weight should be about 2.54 ounces which is what mine weighed when I first made it before I started trimming it down.

I hope that helps some of you out there.

Just Jeff
08-08-2010, 19:33
Rock - I'm gonna move this post from your old thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20115) and start a new one, and stick it. This is great info for folks concerned with weight.

Or folks complaining that hammocking is so much heavier than tenting.

SGT Rock
08-08-2010, 19:41
LOL, I thought I lost my mind when I saw a thread I started with this title. Now I understand.

SGT Rock
08-08-2010, 20:37
Update: the unnamed party has allowed me to name him. Papa Smurf (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/member.php?u=4211) will make a bugnet sock on limited basis. As ordered, no stock. No price set yet. The hole is disappearing.

wirerat123
08-09-2010, 09:31
FYI, Nano7 for $45.

http://www.solunar.com/Nano-7-Hammock-P43651.aspx?afid=4

That'll save someone a few bucks for whoopie slings and such!

SGT Rock
08-09-2010, 09:43
Sweet deal. At that price one could buy a Nano7 just to play with it.

abeldanger
08-09-2010, 12:15
Save $25 by buying the Nano there and save $120 by going with the Spinn tarp from MLD (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=149) and this ultralight package is supercheap at $215.

wirerat123
08-09-2010, 12:32
Save $25 by buying the Nano there and save $120 by going with the Spinn tarp from MLD (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=149) and this ultralight package is supercheap at $215.

Wow. At a savings of $145..

That's a sweet setup for a very reasonable price. And I bet if we look hard enough we could save a few more bucks.

If I had the cash I'd consider purchasing this setup no doubt. It would bring my weekend load from 17 to 20 lbs down to 15 to 18lbs.

beep
08-09-2010, 14:11
FYI, Nano7 for $45.

http://www.solunar.com/Nano-7-Hammock-P43651.aspx?afid=4

That'll save someone a few bucks for whoopie slings and such!

Not to take this thread way off topic, but what weight fabric does the Nano-7 use to get to a "300 lb" rating and weigh so little?

ih8mice
08-09-2010, 19:11
I believe it's 1.1 ripstop.

My nano 7 seems a lot thinner than my 1.1 blackbird though. It's pretty close to being see through...although that my just be an effect of the color.

Redwood Guy
08-09-2010, 20:08
Not to take this thread way off topic, but what weight fabric does the Nano-7 use to get to a "300 lb" rating and weigh so little?

+1 for this question. "300 lb"... that seems mightly questionable.

SGT Rock
08-10-2010, 05:58
I don't weigh 300 pounds so I wouldn't know.

wirerat123
08-10-2010, 08:14
I wouldn't doubt it. I know a 260lb man that used a silk hammock he made. And used it for a couple of years. Don't get me wrong, he was like a mother nursing her baby when he was handling it and using it, but it worked.

The weight savings are mostly in the dimensions on this thing. It's shorter. You will have to sacrifice a little comfort to save this weight. But for a fastpacker, adventure racer, and thru hiker, that might be a small price to pay. It's 7' long by 4' wide. That's quite a difference from most other camping hammocks.

I'd bet it still sleeps much better than the ground.

Info of the Nano 7:

The Nano 7 hammock from Grand Trunk is an extremely lightweight hammock. It is perfect for relaxing on day hikes or in the backyard. It is also the perfect choice for those wanting to camp overnight as the Nano 7 would be the lightest backpacking hammock on the market. Constructed of sturdy but light ripstop nylon the Nano 7 is durable as well as light. The included stuff sack is attached for convenience and when packed the Nano 7 is about the size of a softball. Carabiners at each end simplify set up.
Sleeps 1
EASY to OPEN - Just grab the Nano in one hand and pull the red carabiner.
300 lb capacity
Weighs 6.7 oz
Size - 9'x4'
Material - 1.27 oz RipStop nylon
Color - Gray
Pack Size - 7"x4"
Ultra lightweight hammock
Carabiners on each end for easy set up
Stuff sack is attached so you can't lose it
Triple stitched for strength and reliability
Strong and durable RipStop nylon
Hang Kit is NOT included.

Just Jeff
08-10-2010, 09:09
Have y'all heard about the breathable cuben? It may double the price of this setup, but lower the weight a bit.

SGT Rock
08-10-2010, 13:24
I've not heard of it.

The Spinn tarp would be a nice weight and money saver. I think if one wanted to go even lighter than this you could make a cuben diamond tarp. I sketched one out and figured it in at about 2.8 ounces. You could probably set up the Zpacks 5'x8' tarp as an asym for $140 and 2.9 ounces.

Wentworth
08-10-2010, 20:28
Breathable cuben? This opens so many possibilities!

MedicineMan
08-10-2010, 20:35
JustJeff--links to the newest miracle fiber?
I'd bet co's like Western Mountaineering will be all over this.
Wonder who among us will offer the first TQ and UQ with it.

angrysparrow
08-10-2010, 20:49
I haven't seen specific info, but it is hinted at.

Cubic Tech's Products page mentions (http://www.cubictechnology.com/Product_Information.html) gas permeability. And Ron Bell hinted about it here (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=33734).

Shug
08-10-2010, 20:56
Mighty and a Right Goodie SRGT. Rock.......
May have to whip up a cuben tarp and smoke a Cuban cigar under it.
Shug of the Impressed

Just Jeff
08-10-2010, 23:52
Yeah - I haven't seen any specifics about it yet, and I searched CubicTech's page for it. Nothing more than what AS linked to. It shows up in a few threads at BPL.

Not sure I'd be willing to pay the cost, but we'll see. For example, a Yeti UQ doesn't use all that much material, so you might save an ounce or two by doubling the cost of the quilt. Worth it? That's about a hundred dollars per ounce! A full-length and full-width quilt would save some more weight, though.

CrankyOldGuy
08-13-2010, 15:05
How often is a bug net really necessary? They seem to be the heaviest part of the set up. I usually camp in the southern Apps. My tents had bug nets and my HH has one but I've tarped a few times w/o and was fine after using bug spray.

I haven't used Permethrin, but if clothes and hammock are treated and you're using a max DEET spray, wouldn't you be OK? I heard that black flies are devils with wings but I've never had to deal with them.

Just Jeff
08-13-2010, 19:50
Different people have different tolerances...if you're comfortable sleeping outside w/o a bug net, you're a bigger man than I!

I don't use bug nets in the winter, and I very rarely used one in the Monterey/Big Sur area year-round...but I don't think I'd camp in SC without a bug net except when it's cold.

CrankyOldGuy
08-14-2010, 13:14
We do have our share of bugs, especially on the coast. When the sand gnats are out, you'll see people run one hand down one arm, switch hands, repeat and then fan a hand in front of their face. It's a semi-unconsious attempt to keep them at bay. We call it the "Low Country Wave".

Get up in the North Carolina mountains and biting bugs (except red bugs) just aren't that bad.

PapaSmurf
08-15-2010, 09:23
I'm still testing & tweaking, but last week I sent out a SGT Rock style bug net that weighed 1.82oz. (including the stuff sack). I'll be posting full updates as soon as I get them.

moski
08-15-2010, 09:52
I'm still testing & tweaking, but last week I sent out a SGT Rock style bug net that weighed 1.82oz. (including the stuff sack). I'll be posting full updates as soon as I get them.

This sounds very interesting !
1.82oz is very light and it makes me very curious.
I just ordered the WB bug net , that one weighs 7.5 oz.

Is this a Nano-7 bug net only or will it fit others as well ?

Looking forward to the updates.

PapaSmurf
08-15-2010, 15:59
Is this a Nano-7 bug net only or will it fit others as well ?

This was a net just shy of 120" long x 41" deep. Sizes could be adjusted, but obviously the weight would also change.

What is your ridgeline length for your Nano-7? I don't own one, but I'm guessing that it would have to be close to the same as a 10ft gathered end (98ish) because of the width of this hammock.

SGT Rock
08-15-2010, 18:37
1.98 ounces is very respectable. I've been working out some math in my head and may end up coming up with a slight tweak to my net to make it less likely to have net drooping down on your face at night. But I gotta go get more tulle and play with it.

FWIW, I agree, I rarely need a net.

PapaSmurf
08-15-2010, 18:56
I'm thinking next time I may add a small mitten hook to the head end. This should allow a person to reach overhead and hook to the suspension cord with one hand bofore cinching down the drawstring.
Drawback is that it adds yet another step to getting out. Time is an important factor for me when I wake up with a full bladder.

SGT Rock
08-15-2010, 19:09
I've added a couple of loops on the top to connect to my ridge-line which is non-structural so I can take it off, slide it through the loops, then put it back on again so that it keeps the net oriented correctly and prevents it from twisting up.

I'm working on a angled back cut. The top should be about 2" longer than the ridge-line before finishing and the bottom should be about 8" longer so that when the hole closes up the top won't sag and the bottom will still have enough material to close up around the hammock. It would probably save a few grams of weight too.

SGT Rock
08-15-2010, 19:11
Also, FWIW, I tried making a similar net with nanoseeum from thru-hiker. So far it hasn't gone well. What I think the issue could be is stretch. Tulle seems to stretch enough that it gives and takes where it may need too with the hammock. With nanoseeum it doesn't seem to do that - the hammock feels confined. I think to make one out of nanoseeum it would have to be bigger than a tulle version to compensate.

PapaSmurf
08-15-2010, 20:40
I'm working on a angled back cut. The top should be about 2" longer than the ridge-line before finishing and the bottom should be about 8" longer so that when the hole closes up the top won't sag and the bottom will still have enough material to close up around the hammock. It would probably save a few grams of weight too.

That's the same thing I was gonna do. I'll start with those dimensions & see how well it closes.

I'm also waiting on some samples of 108" wide Black Tulle. If it looks as good as the 54" stuff I've been getting from Joann's, I'll order a roll. My goal is to eliminate the 60" x 24" strip from the bottom and cut the whole net out of one piece of fabric. This would also allow the option of increasing the depth of the net (weight penalty, of course) clear up to 53" or so. The other thing I'm playing with is a lightweight polyester ribbon edging. I wanna try a couple & see what kinda weight versus strength it adds to the net.

So many possible options.

SGT Rock
08-20-2010, 15:17
I recently made a modification to the kit with a new, improved, and lighter bug net. here is a thread on it: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21063.

So easy I even sewed this one myself.

Flatland
09-09-2010, 00:22
Just got the Grand Trunk UL 12oz hammock in the mail, along with an order for the MLD UL hammock tarp...with an approximate total of 8.21ounces with the suspension (whoopies and tree huggers, using a found stick for marlin spike and hitch) and tarp. that will bring me to a total of 20.21 oz, decent by any but the most hardcore ultralighter's standard! I realize that the Nano7 is ~5 oz lighter but seriously, for the average doofus bumbling around in the woods, is that REALLY significant???

CrankyOldGuy
09-09-2010, 08:40
Just got the Grand Trunk UL 12oz hammock in the mail, along with an order for the MLD UL hammock tarp...with an approximate total of 8.21ounces with the suspension (whoopies and tree huggers, using a found stick for marlin spike and hitch) and tarp. that will bring me to a total of 20.21 oz, decent by any but the most hardcore ultralighter's standard! I realize that the Nano7 is ~5 oz lighter but seriously, for the average doofus bumbling around in the woods, is that REALLY significant???

If you cut the labels off...

beep
09-09-2010, 10:16
Significance is in the eye of the one with the scale!

Part of the drill for going toward lightweight is to reduce weight where possible. Only the pack wearer can say what weight is "light enough"!:)

SGT Rock
09-09-2010, 11:15
Absolutely. I guess it depends on what you are searching for. There are a few of us that like to challenge ourselves with how light we can go and still do it in fun and comfort. At that level saving 5 grams on a piece of gear can be considered a good thing.

That said, I'm glad you are happy with your rig. That is the ultimate goal in any gear.

Flatland
09-09-2010, 11:19
I agree...when I hiked in college my pack was probably 4-5 times heavier than it is now. I had never heard of light or ultralight camping, and was lugging around a 7 pound Kelty external frame pack and a car camping bag that probably weighed just as much! Now I consider my base weight (8-12 pounds) to be great for me. Although it's always nice to do a day hike or trail run and just carry a day pack that weighs even less.

Still, I like Sgt. Rock's challenge of trying to put together a sub-pound set-up...maybe I'll get there at some point.

ikemouser
09-09-2010, 11:36
Rock just a thought, maybe you could use it somewhere. Its the lightest biner that will support us guys less than probably 250lbs. Its the micro 3, it weight 8g has a 400kg breaking strength. I look to replace my dutch clips with them. Im too lazy to do a toggle, prefer just to clip it. Thought you might be able to find some use for it somewhere.

nice setup.

SGT Rock
09-09-2010, 11:54
That is awful darn light.

MedicineMan
09-09-2010, 15:56
Rock is a hero. He not only shows how lightyou can go but exactly how to do it and alternatives based on economics. In his way he constantly gives to the hammocking and hiking community, and if you time it right he'll feed you the trail too.
Thanks to him and his boss my bugnet is now less than 2 ounces.
I haven't used the nano-7 on the trail yet--still getting up the nerve. It would help to hear another 200 pounder say yes the little nano works at that weight range.

tiger1dd
09-09-2010, 18:39
Different people have different tolerances...if you're comfortable sleeping outside w/o a bug net, you're a bigger man than I!

I don't use bug nets in the winter, and I very rarely used one in the Monterey/Big Sur area year-round...but I don't think I'd camp in SC without a bug net except when it's cold.

True that! SC is home to almost any type of "creepy-crawly" and "flying varmit" that you can think of. North Carolina (At least the southern part) isn't much better, either.

Flatland
09-09-2010, 18:56
Rock is a hero. He not only shows how lightyou can go but exactly how to do it and alternatives based on economics. In his way he constantly gives to the hammocking and hiking community, and if you time it right he'll feed you the trail too.
Thanks to him and his boss my bugnet is now less than 2 ounces.
I haven't used the nano-7 on the trail yet--still getting up the nerve. It would help to hear another 200 pounder say yes the little nano works at that weight range.

Absolutely! Thanks for the info, Sgt. Rock and others. I was really stoked to find this thread and see how light a hammock set-up could be as well as being affordable (all in all I spent about $140 on the whole set-up). Some UL and SUL gear is insanely expensive, though it seems there are always economic corners to cut. I actually found the GT UL hammock while looking at Nano7s on Amazon after perusing this thread. At $25 cheaper and only ~7 oz weight penalty, I figured why not? Although I'm way more weight obsessed than your typical "traditional" backpacker, I'm not as concerned with it as some of the BPL crowd. I am, on the other hand, highly impressed by folks like Francis Tarpon who can do a ridiculous thru-hike with ~8 pound loads. Amazing...

SGT Rock
09-10-2010, 07:38
Rock just a thought, maybe you could use it somewhere. Its the lightest biner that will support us guys less than probably 250lbs. Its the micro 3, it weight 8g has a 400kg breaking strength. I look to replace my dutch clips with them. Im too lazy to do a toggle, prefer just to clip it. Thought you might be able to find some use for it somewhere.

nice setup.

Do you have a link for a US source for this? I did a Google search for Micro 3 Carabiner and only got European hits.

Young hanger
09-12-2010, 04:32
does any one know how much a maccat micro would way in cuban.

Buffalo Skipper
09-15-2010, 08:26
I am hoping I missed it somewhere, but is there a chart somewhere to compare hammocks, including size, weight, weight limit and the other pertinent data? I have been trying to put this together for myself, but some models (often the ones I think I might like to consider) are missing some of this information on the manufacturer's sites.

JayBow
10-02-2010, 17:40
Appologies if this link has already been posted (I scanned through the thread and didn't see it...), but the GT UL is >$17 at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Trunk-Ultralight-Hammock-Forest/dp/B001AIHB76/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1286058485&sr=8-3

Alan Burd
10-02-2010, 18:26
Sgt Rock

How does Tyvek compare to Cuban for weight per sq ft.

jeepcachr
10-03-2010, 20:30
Sgt Rock

How does Tyvek compare to Cuban for weight per sq ft.
Tyvek 1.8 oz per square yard. Tyvek is not ultralight but it is cheap and it's tough.

Cuben comes in several different weights, .74 oz per square yard is a popular one for weight and durability.

Ghost Ranger
10-08-2010, 21:04
Check cuben supplies at quest outfitters. Look under products and click on coated fabrics. Weights are .74, .48.and.33. I like the lightness and especially the part about not sewing by using tape instead that they sell. No need to seam seal. I have not used these products yet but there are lots of possibilities. Want to hear about any experience anyone may have on this.

CrankyOldGuy
10-11-2010, 10:52
OK, we're at 13 oz. What about fitting it out for Fall hanging with quilts? Any magic of the light weight/low cost variety?

jeepcachr
10-12-2010, 09:29
OK, we're at 13 oz. What about fitting it out for Fall hanging with quilts? Any magic of the light weight/low cost variety?
Light weight, low cost, high quality

Choose 2

CrankyOldGuy
10-12-2010, 13:22
I HATE it when people use that one on me! (Because I use it on my clients!:cursing:) I suppose it would be light and low cost.

jloden
10-18-2010, 17:00
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to SgtRock for putting this list together and for his article on the Nano 7 over at hikinghq. I was looking to dip my toe in the water with hammocks... the low price on the Grand Trunk Nano/UL and the light weight sold me on giving it a try, especially after I saw this post! Before I knew it I'd accumulated most of the gear SgtRock's list :D

Rolloff
02-04-2011, 14:40
Thanks Rock and the rest. I'm still up in the air about what way to go. Everyone else seems to only want the Caddy or the Vette, but this thread is different and helpful. I'm 5'6" and about 165#. Since I can probably get by with, shorter and narrower, why not go lighter too! Especially when $$'s as well as grams are in question.

It's Indiana for me, so I will need to add-on the bugnet. Hope I can still get Pappa to make me one when I'm ready.

+a bunch on this one guys.

I finally think I've got a plan. :)

Dragon Rider
02-10-2011, 20:22
I didn't realize that a grand turk nano was so reasonable...however, in the spring I may definitely pick one up for my kids and I to try out and and use at least for around here. I am new to hangin' and just ordered everything I need to make my own gathered end hammock. I will be looking to order material for a tarp as soon as I have the money. Mine won't be the UL dream but it won't be the weight that I used to pack when I first starting hiking. However...I do like having plenty of room to spread out...especially after a 20 mile day...so I will trade a little weight for my "king sized" hammock. BTW, can someone please post the link of how to determine your hammock size...it's something like your height + two feet + something for your stitching + etc...I'm new around these here forum parts and I haven't been able to find the elusive "measurement formula creature" I hear so much talk about. thanks...TTYL

jeepcachr
02-11-2011, 11:06
I didn't realize that a grand turk nano was so reasonable...however, in the spring I may definitely pick one up for my kids and I to try out and and use at least for around here. Many of your big box sporting good stores will sell a hammock bliss style hammock for $20-25. Then all you need to hang is tree straps. If you replace the ropes and the heavy S hooks that come on them they are relatively light weight. Not as light as the Nano but still light compared to other hammocks.

This one is $34 but it's similar to what I'm talking about. http://www.amazon.com/NEW-Ultralight-Included-Portable-Backpacking/dp/B002ZL0AUM

jbphilly
04-29-2011, 15:33
That's incredible. Anybody know what the lightest commercially available hammock with integrated bug net is? I think it might be the Grand Trunk Ultralight Skeeter Beeter which is 19 oz without suspension (but, I believe, including ropes and S-hooks at the ends). If I'm wrong, correct me. It seems though that there'd be demand for one as light as the nano and with a bug net built in. I'd buy it...

JaxHiker
04-29-2011, 15:56
What am I missing? The Nano is listed at 7.4 oz on their site. Not 4.9 oz.

Boothill
04-29-2011, 15:57
That's incredible. Anybody know what the lightest commercially available hammock with integrated bug net is? I think it might be the Grand Trunk Ultralight Skeeter Beeter which is 19 oz without suspension (but, I believe, including ropes and S-hooks at the ends). If I'm wrong, correct me. It seems though that there'd be demand for one as light as the nano and with a bug net built in. I'd buy it...

the hennessy hyperlite is advertised at 13 & 7/8 oz. and 1oz. for the bug netting, that is just the hammock and no rainfly though

booot

jloden
04-29-2011, 15:58
What am I missing? The Nano is listed at 7.4 oz on their site. Not 4.9 oz.

The weight includes the (heavy) carabiners the Nano ships with. If you pull the carabiners out you'll get in the 4.9oz range :)

-Jay

JaxHiker
04-29-2011, 16:28
I gotcha now.

jbphilly
04-29-2011, 16:28
the hennessy hyperlite is advertised at 13 & 7/8 oz. and 1oz. for the bug netting, that is just the hammock and no rainfly though

booot

That's solid. Still I've got the UL Skeeter Beeter and when I swap out its default heavy ropes and s-hooks I'll have the weight right in the pound and a half range minus tarp and insulation.

So what are these bug nets people are making? I would like to have a hammock and tarp setup for 13 ounces. How does the bug net work and is it integrated into the hammock, or another piece? If the latter that seems like some hassle....

Mancat
04-29-2011, 19:04
Sorry I really need to read these posts before responding. Bump I guess.

R00K
05-06-2011, 07:00
I'd go BugSock for full coverage (www.mydiygear.com) or dp's bugnet for price/weight.

Apollo2112
05-09-2011, 12:06
Question - What about stakes? They aren't included in the OP. I would guess the lightest are from Zpacks. 0.2 oz a stake.

PapaSmurf
05-09-2011, 12:29
Question - What about stakes? They aren't included in the OP. I would guess the lightest are from Zpacks. 0.2 oz a stake.

The Vargo stakes at ZPacks stakes are 5.7 grams & 6" long. I'm not sure how thick they are.
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stakes.shtml

The lightest ones are here.
http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/projects/misc/ti-stakes.php

JaxHiker
05-09-2011, 12:33
Poop. I just ordered carbon fiber stakes at 7g each. :( :)

DemostiX
05-20-2011, 15:33
At this time, Amazon and a hunting-oriented vendor that "fulfills" through Amazon both offer the Nano 7 for less than $41. (Amazon's will take a few weeks to ship.) For Central North Americans, standard shipping is free.

For the mid-PM fatighe by cycling harder and longer than I should, I'm trying this for small size and road-side naps, more than for the several saved avoirdupois.

Now, to DIY a tiny suspension.

Acer
07-17-2011, 14:53
I like the carabiners that whoopieslings.com has for 5.50 ea. 23 grams each,,and will hold alot more than 400 lbs. nano 23's

JoelMalone
07-18-2011, 15:26
Great thread. It amazes me how light many of you are able to get everything.

Wentworth
07-20-2011, 06:16
Sticks make pretty light stakes!

CrankyOldGuy
07-21-2011, 11:05
This is all great and exciting, BUT... without insulation it seems that this super light setup is only useful at pretty warm night time temps. Maybe no lower than 75 degrees? What's the lightest weight of an insulation system that'd take you down to the lower 40's or upper 30's?

Cmeadows012
07-28-2011, 18:43
Hey, I'm new to hammock camping and I bought an eno singlenest w/slapstrap pros and I'm just using paracord and a tarp for a ridge line and weather protection. Is that a decent setup??

Joey
07-28-2011, 19:10
This is all great and exciting, BUT... without insulation it seems that this super light setup is only useful at pretty warm night time temps. Maybe no lower than 75 degrees? What's the lightest weight of an insulation system that'd take you down to the lower 40's or upper 30's?

I had a Grand Trunks UL hammock with whoopie slings, 3/4 IX Baby Orca UQ and Z rest pad under me, Z Packs cuben tarp above. LHBR IX for a TQ

hammock 10 oz
UQ 8 oz
Z rest 10 oz
cuben tarp 6 oz
LHBR TQ 14 oz

Total: 3 lbs exactly

I was in 37-42F rain for 2 out of 3 days on a hike with this set up and did just fine. The last day the sun came out and it got up in the 60s and was amazing.

CrankyOldGuy
07-28-2011, 20:47
I'm just under 4 lbs. with my HHHL with under cover and under pad and a 15 oz down TQ. I haven't tried this set up in the 35 deg. range, but I don't think I'd be comfortable. Do you think an IX UQ saves weight without giving up warmth?

CaptainNemo
08-09-2011, 09:33
Great setup! Backpacking Light had a big discussion about how you couldn't get this low with a Hammock. They did use the cuben tarp and grand trunk but it wasn't as light as this. :) I still love BPL.

sandykayak
08-09-2011, 13:44
Apart from a slight fear of claustrophobia in a bug net - especially if I needed to exit quickly and I'm looking for the darned toggle/hook/cordlock, I watched Sgt. Rock's video (in the old thread) at the beginning and am thinking...

with all the time it takes to push the bugnet down, get in, the wriggle it up until you can close it...he would have a 100 skeeters trapped inside!

also, I had a Byers Moskito traveler with white netting (hard to see out) and one with black (definitely the way to go), so ya'll might think of that.

CrankyOldGuy
08-18-2011, 10:42
I've got my Nano 7 and whoopies. I'm hoping that my tarp and UQ show up in time for a trip I have planned next week. This thing wraps up into the tiniest little package! It's less than half the size of my HH and if it weighted any less, it's float away!

jbphilly
10-24-2011, 17:55
Apart from a slight fear of claustrophobia in a bug net - especially if I needed to exit quickly and I'm looking for the darned toggle/hook/cordlock, I watched Sgt. Rock's video (in the old thread) at the beginning and am thinking...

with all the time it takes to push the bugnet down, get in, the wriggle it up until you can close it...he would have a 100 skeeters trapped inside!

also, I had a Byers Moskito traveler with white netting (hard to see out) and one with black (definitely the way to go), so ya'll might think of that.

I'm wondering if there isn't a better bugnet format than one that has to be pulled shut at the ends, since like you said it's awkward and gives bugs lots of time to follow you in. Probably just having an integrated net with a zipper is the simplest thing. Or what about adding a zipper to the bug sock so you can reach just below the hammock, unzip it to step out, hop out, and then zip it back up?

Catavarie
10-25-2011, 03:06
I'm wondering if there isn't a better bugnet format than one that has to be pulled shut at the ends, since like you said it's awkward and gives bugs lots of time to follow you in. Probably just having an integrated net with a zipper is the simplest thing. Or what about adding a zipper to the bug sock so you can reach just below the hammock, unzip it to step out, hop out, and then zip it back up?

You could check out the Hug net (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24029)that Dejoha came up with, if you want UL and easy to use.

mattmacman
01-08-2012, 08:21
Hey guys, im relatively new here (and LOVING it!) so go easy =)
I was just about to pull the trigger on a purchase id being waiting a while for, a WBBB 1.1 DBL, dutch buckles, webbing and whoopies and a MacCat Standard or deluxe tarp (not sure of size yet :confused:) which would come to around 1Kg or a little over 2 lbs.... Then i saw this thread, and i wasn't so keen all of a sudden to rush into the WBBB, im sure it would be great hammock but this setup looks to be shaping up.
As for the hammock's bug protection I would 100% need to be protected from bugs not so much because the bugs are on hormones but more so because everywhere i hike usually has some bugs that would annoy the crap out of you and/or give you some nasty ross river/ dengue.
My question is this, could the bug protection be provided by a sewn in bug mesh that one of the cottage guys could do with a zipper or drawcord entrance?

Or has anyone tried using no bug protection before rather wearing socks, pants shirt balaclava, soaking the hammock in permethrin and putting deet on?

Boothill
01-08-2012, 08:27
My question is this, could the bug protection be provided by a sewn in bug mesh that one of the cottage guys could do with a zipper or drawcord entrance?

i would get ahold of 2Q & ZQ (2Q & ZQ) and talk with them to see if they can do it or not, probably your best bet

boot

Browny
01-09-2012, 08:16
Ive made a bug sock, but am considering the addition of a partial zipper for easier exit/entry as it can be a pain when Im out camping with the son. Shortish zipper would keep the weight to a minimum, while still giving the all round cover of the sock.

Unmighty
04-18-2012, 21:01
WOW!!Now this is cool!!

Cranky Bear
04-19-2012, 09:09
You could probably set up the Zpacks 5'x8' tarp as an asym for $140 and 2.9 ounces.

Has anyone done this? And have pic's as well?

I am looking at doing this but would like to see it first!

CrankyOldGuy
04-21-2012, 09:20
I've got a slightly larger (?) discontinued MLD spinn tarp at 4.8 oz. inc. lines. I can't get it rigged where I feel confident I'll have adequate coverage in blowing rain.

I've tried attaching it to the hammock suspension (whoopies) via a prussik and it sits too high. I've tried using separate suspension system for the tarp, but when I get it nice and close to the hammock, moving it just that much off center leaves it vulnerable (I think).

I'm guessing that this is a common problem with small asym tarps. How do you set one up to overcome this?

survive7713
04-26-2012, 15:55
From some of the looking around that I have done It is actually cheaper to make your own cuben fiber tarps than to by them from someone else.

The downside is that they are time consuming to make.

If you go to the material section on Zpacks.com you can select the weight and length for your DIY tarp

Happy Hanging

survive7713
04-26-2012, 15:57
Here is a really cool site I found that has some interesting info about going lightweight.

Sadly he is a (cough--cough) tarp camper.

The name says it all.

http://lytw8.com/Home_Page.php

Oper8or
07-01-2012, 01:06
Or folks complaining that hammocking is so much heavier than tenting.

That comment alone made me laugh. I feel better now.

drakemon
07-07-2012, 18:51
Thanks Sgt Rock for this thread. I ignored ultralight backpacking for a long time because it wasn't comfortable. I carried the largest Thermarest mattress and also used it on the lakes to paddle around in my swim trunks.

Then I stumbled across a hammock site and bought the ultralight - didn't know there was a nano-7 at the time. I'll be ordering that next. With the cuben tarp I'm loving the idea of ultralight. I'm content with a head mosquito net.

I'd like to see (as a previous poster mentioned) a continued discussion to include the lightest bag and bottom insulation arrangement that would keep you warm down to freezing temps.

SGT Rock
07-11-2012, 06:12
Staying warm is pretty subjective. I've known people that walk around in shorts in the 30s, and I've known people that have on everything they own in the 50s and are still freezing.

For me the lightest thing I've used regularly down to 32F is a DIY 10 ounce pad I've used for years, and a 20 ounce JRB top quilt. Of course my clothing plays into how I feel comfortable.

Darwin S and A
09-27-2012, 10:40
Wooow jsut read this whole thread! TWO YEARS LONG?! Also, was wondering where someone could still find the original gear list at the prices listed? I clicked on the links and they are all broken.

doctor patches
09-28-2012, 14:16
Wooow jsut read this whole thread! TWO YEARS LONG?! Also, was wondering where someone could still find the original gear list at the prices listed? I clicked on the links and they are all broken.

yeah, updated links and maybe include insulation to see where the margins would be with modern gear and pricing?

laziboie
03-31-2013, 21:22
Some more great info, thanks!

Sterwee
06-19-2013, 12:11
All for under a pound? Ridiculous

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2013, 22:28
How often is a bug net really necessary? They seem to be the heaviest part of the set up. I usually camp in the southern Apps. My tents had bug nets and my HH has one but I've tarped a few times w/o and was fine after using bug spray.

I haven't used Permethrin, but if clothes and hammock are treated and you're using a max DEET spray, wouldn't you be OK? I heard that black flies are devils with wings but I've never had to deal with them.

Well if you work outdoors a lot, hardly touch any sugar ever, build a thick skin... and if that doesn't work would you like a bug net?

XTrekker
07-15-2013, 09:56
The only issue I have with this setup is the hammock itself. I like a nice long and wide hammock to roll around in. 10' - 11' of hammock and at least 5' wide. Granted, my first hammock was a bit shorter and not as wide and I slept ok in it, but the first time I laid in a DIY 10' x 65", I was in heaven and slept so much better. Having a hammock this size puts my kit over the 13oz mark without even adding in the tarp but when it comes to comfort it is worth the few extra ounces. Granted, this is just a preference thing. Some people sleep just fine in the GT Nano.

natefoo
08-02-2013, 12:52
Thanks Rock, great info!

tammons
08-12-2013, 19:53
+1 and I agree only 12' long x 5' wide for me - LOL.

I have tested all sorts of lengths, single layer, double layer, short, long, very long, very wide, very narrow, trapazoid cut etc and the one that works for me is the 5x12 dbl layer.

I think my next hammock will be a 12' long double M50 hammock and we will see how long that last. It will weigh 10oz.

That said I would not last 5 minutes in a nano although Loner did most of the AT with one. It eventually failed at around the 2/3 - 3/4 point and he bought a grand trunk ultralight to finish off.

Still I will be at 10 oz for hammock, 3.5 oz for suspension, 12.5 oz for my longer sil tadpole knockoff = acceptable at 26oz and about $152.

I changed my suspension to one very similar to rocks only amsteel, 5/8" mule tape, and I use loops to larks head onto the hammock ends and use 2 whoopie hooks each end. One for the tree strap and one on the hammock loop.

The only issue I have with this setup is the hammock itself. I like a nice long and wide hammock to roll around in. 10' - 11' of hammock and at least 5' wide. Granted, my first hammock was a bit shorter and not as wide and I slept ok in it, but the first time I laid in a DIY 10' x 65", I was in heaven and slept so much better. Having a hammock this size puts my kit over the 13oz mark without even adding in the tarp but when it comes to comfort it is worth the few extra ounces. Granted, this is just a preference thing. Some people sleep just fine in the GT Nano.

MyD0j0
09-03-2013, 17:26
I realize this thread is old. And that I'm new. And really have no clue. Yet.

But when I was a kid, my parents owned a camper that had an awning attached to it. The attachment point was a c-channel attached to the camper that the awning slid down and locked into due to a rounded edge. I notice a lot of bug nets talk about zippers, permanent attachment and I'm sure someone has tried velcro. But I like the idea of a c-channel on the bug net that slides down a 1/16" or 1/8" cord that has been sewn into the hem of the hammock. I'm not sure there is flexible c-channel, let alone that can be worked into a fabric that can be used as a bug net. I don't know how flexible the c-channel would have to be while still being rigid enough to be able to hold the corded hem...

Surely, though such a system would certainly be lighter than full length zipper/velcro while still allowing detachment.

I'm looking to make my own hammock here in the next couple weeks and would like to try such a setup if it's possible. Any attempts/thoughts on such a closure system?

JohannesBrahms
02-22-2016, 00:50
Here's a complete setup for $320 setup that weighs 14 ounces:

Grand Trunk Nano 7 - 139.2g
$66.37 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Trunk-N7-Nano-Hammock/dp/B002WZN77Y?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIJQOLMEHAHYV4K2A&tag=outdoocom-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002WZN77Y

Kevlar Tree Huggers (4ft) - 20.9g
$23.00 from Dutchwaregear
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/kevlar-tree-huggers-pair.html

Titanium Dutch Clips (Pair) - 16.25g
$18.00 from Dutchwaregear
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/dutch-clip.html

Whoopie Slings (2) - 42.88g
$14.00 from Dutchwaregear
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/amsteel-whoopie-slings.html

Continuous Loops (2) - 5.9g
$5.00 from Dutchwaregear
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/amsteel-coninuous-loops.html

61.5 feet of Zing It or Lash It
Hammock Ridgeline (90") - 3.87g
Tarp Ridgeline (30') - 15.48g
Tarp Tie Outs (4x 6') - 12.38g
$16.50 from Dutchwaregear
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/25-feet-of-zing-it.html

Cuben Fiber Diamond Asymmetrical Tarp (10 foot) - 110.85g
$165.00 from Hammock Gear
http://www.hammockgear.com/cuben-fiber-hammock-hex-tarp/

Titanium Stakes (4) - 25.6g
$10.00 from Dutchwaregear
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/titanium-hook-stake-single.html

DIY Tent Stake Sack made from Tyvek - 4.35g
$0.90 from Dutchwaregear
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/tyvek.html

Total = $318.77 and 397.69g (14.03oz)

Note: The whoopies and tree straps will stuff into the sewn-on stuff sack on the nano-7. The tarp comes with its own stuff sack.

chris575
07-30-2016, 20:58
Have you tried looping the whoopies directly through the hammock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk