PDA

View Full Version : HH Hex Tarp

BillyBob58
10-12-2007, 12:53
I recently got hold of a HH Hex Tarp. It's not bad, really. Doesn't pitch as tight as my MacCat Deluxe, of course, but it pitches pretty tight. And it's quite roomy, a bit larger over all than the MC. This is the heavier version, I think it was 1 lb 9 oz. But the Silnylon version is a bit longer and only 19 oz, and might make a pretty good alternative for light packing. I love the little pockets for storing the guy lines.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/9/IMG_0590.jpg

BillyBob58
10-12-2007, 12:56
You can see I'm pretty tall per my shadow!

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/9/IMG_0591.jpg

BillyBob58
10-12-2007, 13:03
There really is a lot of coverage with this fly. Remember, this is the UL Explorer underneath, which is about a foot longer than the ULBP. It's size is listed as 144" by 120". The lighter Silnylon version is listed as 144" by 132". Wow, that would be a lot of party room!

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/9/IMG_0592.jpg

ZDP-189
10-12-2007, 13:10
Looks good. How much weight does it add over the standard tarp?

Shadowmoss
10-12-2007, 13:21
I like my HH hex. My site has been dubbed the Hammock Hilton at the Hot Springs hang-outs. It's the one with the camp chair under it with the hammock. When I make my silnylon one it will be at least that large, albeit with the corners on to be able to shut it down like the new Speer tarp and other DIY tarps here.

BillyBob58
10-12-2007, 13:49
Looks good. How much weight does it add over the standard tarp?

A lot in the cheaper PU version, compared to the ultralight versions. It is 1lb 9 oz. I think the stock tarp is about 13 oz on the UL Explorer, and less on the ULBP. But the silnylon version of this tarp is 19 oz, so it adds about 6 oz to my stock UL Explorer Asym tarp, and more if your comparing to the ULBP or UL hyperlite, etc.

GrizzlyAdams
10-12-2007, 14:12
I like my HH hex. My site has been dubbed the Hammock Hilton at the Hot Springs hang-outs. It's the one with the camp chair under it with the hammock. When I make my silnylon one it will be at least that large, albeit with the corners on to be able to shut it down like the new Speer tarp and other DIY tarps here.

I'm with you on that. I think if one did an analysis of comfort gain obtained by adding ounces somewhere in a total hammock design, many of us would find very high marginal utility added due to the added extra ounces in a silnylon tarp that take you from just keeping the hammock dry to having a place to live on the trail.

Then there are the folks who clip the tags out of their clothing, and huddle at night under poncho/tarps. No extra ounce is a good ounce for them. They enjoy their reward when carrying their ultra-light-weight packs. (And in comparing their base weights, on the internet ;) )

Grizz (who aspires to be a lightweight backpacker, but is too fond of camp comfort to ever qualify as an ultra-lightweight backpacker).

Rapt
10-12-2007, 14:29
I'm in the same camp as you Grizz... Although most of my travel is by canoe... So when I hike I have that to carry as well...

But there are some things its just not worth giving up. I'll carry a bigger tarp every time. When you're weather bound for days its nice to be able to move about and stay dry...

Cannibal
10-12-2007, 15:03
Ultralight is WAY too much work for me. If I manage to get to "lightweight" I'll be thrilled. When I see something like that tarp it gives me the motiviation I need to keep up the workouts; legs...must...be...strong.

FanaticFringer
10-12-2007, 16:17
I'm with you on that. I think if one did an analysis of comfort gain obtained by adding ounces somewhere in a total hammock design, many of us would find very high marginal utility added due to the added extra ounces in a silnylon tarp that take you from just keeping the hammock dry to having a place to live on the trail.

Then there are the folks who clip the tags out of their clothing, and huddle at night under poncho/tarps. No extra ounce is a good ounce for them. They enjoy their reward when carrying their ultra-light-weight packs. (And in comparing their base weights, on the internet ;) )

Grizz (who aspires to be a lightweight backpacker, but is too fond of camp comfort to ever qualify as an ultra-lightweight backpacker).

My moving from a HH Hyperlight to a JRB Bridge hammock is a good example.
Never slept in a bridge yet ....just assuming it's gonna be goooood.:cool:

BillyBob58
10-12-2007, 16:21
.........Me to!

BillyBob58
10-18-2007, 13:07
I noticed that my hex tarp, though seemingly quite large, measured 132" on the ridgeline, which is only 2" more than my MC deluxe. And 5" shorter than the asym stock fly that came with my Explorer(137"), though the asym fly has way less overage on the sides. I could not find anything measuring the specified 144". I e-mailed HH about this. Ann replied, saying it was supposed to be 11 ft x 10 ft. Which would be 132". She wanted to know where I got the 144" from. Before I could respond, she e-mailed back to say she had found the place on the web site where it said 144", which is an error. She offered me a refund if I wanted to send it back, but I will just keep it.

Rapt
10-18-2007, 14:14
More useful info... Note to self "not big enough!"

Shadowmoss
10-18-2007, 16:11
BB: Thanks for getting the true measurements. I like my HH hex, but am planning on making a silnylon one at some point. Now I know that if I make it 12'X10' or 11' it will be at least as large as my hex poly one. This makes the weights make more sense, too. Couldn't figure out why a 12'X11' silnylon commercially made tarp was pretty close to my poly hex.