PDA

View Full Version : whoopie slings in uk?

trekkingnut
08-11-2010, 13:53
as far as i can make out... whoopie slings in the usa, from the official site are 18usd for a paid. now when i type in whoopie slings on google shopping uk it tells me that they are 80gbp a pair... thats about 130usd!!! that cant be right...

does anyone know where i can buy them in the uk? i feel like branching out...

Gailainne
08-11-2010, 14:04
.....i feel like branching out...

Oh very good, cleaning up beer from my keyboard now. I've made a few, you do need a decent fid or equivalent, the single wire fishing leaders make a great draw needle.

To be frank if you buy the dyneema (sk75, 78 etc) here and the wire and spend time getting it wrong till you get it right, its cheaper to get Opie (or not now :() but theres a few guys on here who will do them for you, to your specification.

If you want to set up on this side of the pond, good on you, go for it.

Stephen

turnerminator
08-11-2010, 14:05
I suggest making your own, they are dead easy-I made mine in minutes and I'd never spliced braid before.

I may be wrong, but I don't think anybody sells hammock oriented whoopie slings-they are all for forestry use.

trekkingnut
08-11-2010, 14:09
they do look pretty fricken heavy duty, im going to learn how to make them regardless. be useful thing for work to be honest.

thanks for the info guys, ive got some climbing chord lying around thats going to be my first victim tonight.

Gailainne
08-11-2010, 14:10
I suggest making your own, they are dead easy-I made mine in minutes and I'd never spliced braid before.

I may be wrong, but I don't think anybody sells hammock oriented whoopie slings-they are all for forestry use.

Or marine, a chandlers here will make them for you, I got a set made, but it wasn't cheap. Like I said before I wouldn't say it was cheap unless you already had the Amsteel (sk75), or equiv handy.

T the biggest problem I had was stopping it fluffing, when you cut it, in the end I used a scalpel with a new blade, that did the job :cool:

turnerminator
08-11-2010, 14:25
Or marine, a chandlers here will make them for you, I got a set made, but it wasn't cheap. Like I said before I wouldn't say it was cheap unless you already had the Amsteel (sk75), or equiv handy.

I forgot about the marine side! durr! :lol:

I have really good local supplier for English braids and Marlow-they are cheap too and carry the entire range. I made mine out of 2.0 mm 900kg stuff,and as usual, went overboard and made them out of 15 ft lengths-I can hang between telephone poles! (almost)

T the biggest problem I had was stopping it fluffing, when you cut it, in the end I used a scalpel with a new blade, that did the job

I find that a sharp pair of scissors, keeping tension in the braid over the scissor blade cuts the stuff ok.

trekkingnut
08-11-2010, 14:29
is it possible to get a lot of tension on them? like if i wanted to set up the tarp on its own kinda thing...

Gailainne
08-11-2010, 14:31
2.0 mm 900kg stuff Eh? my 4mm stuff is rated to half that, what are you using!

Gailainne
08-11-2010, 14:41
is it possible to get a lot of tension on them? like if i wanted to set up the tarp on its own kinda thing...

I don't see how, I use 3mm dinghy dyneema with a hitchcraft (2:1) advantage solid pulley for my tarp suspension, a truckers hitch would serve the same purpose, or maybe a bungee prussik'd somewhere to create tension.

Ray Mears Evenk knot is another good way of tensioning a tarp line.

trekkingnut
08-11-2010, 14:46
I don't see how, I use 3mm dinghy dyneema with a hitchcraft (2:1) advantage solid pulley for my tarp suspension, a truckers hitch would serve the same purpose, or maybe a bungee prussik'd somewhere to create tension.

Ray Mears Evenk knot is another good way of tensioning a tarp line.

ok... well ill have a long hard think and see whats going on.

relatives are going over to the states for two months soon and i have a list of hammock stuff as long as my arm to bring back and they are getting pretty fed up.... whoopie sling isnt THAT heavy.. heheh... pretty please! just one more thing! haha

turnerminator
08-11-2010, 14:52
Eh? my 4mm stuff is rated to half that, what are you using!

English braids dynamic line 2.0 mm. I thought it was a typo, so I phoned the factory and its been tested at 920 kg. Its pre-stretched SK75. FYI, English braids own Marlow ropes.

I got it from here.

http://www.cygnus-sails.com/

I still use the evenk knot, I find it much easier to tie my tarp to my poles when Im ground dwelling.

Gailainne
08-11-2010, 15:21
**** thats impressive, dynaglide is just over half that breaking load which is sk 75 for the sameish dia 1.8 versus 2.0

trinni
08-13-2010, 02:55
Liros D Pro Magic (SK75) is only rated to take 380 daN at 2mm dia, 900 daN at 3mm. My whoopieslings are made out of 5mm dia rope which is rated to take 2600 daN (just in case...)

TheDen
08-13-2010, 05:05
Best price I've seen on them is here: http://hammockgear.com/shop/suspension-2/whoopie-slings/

And using 2.5mm Amsteel, the rating is pretty nuts. 5mm seems overkill unless an elephant is joining you camping... ;)

Young hanger
10-18-2010, 16:12
I suggest making your own, they are dead easy-I made mine in minutes and I'd never spliced braid before. they are very easy to make i made mine out off the same 2mm rope and they worked well. i think anyone could make them as i am 14 and have never spiced anything ever. i started a thread about the sk75 http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21874. the site is http://www.nauticalrope.co.uk/index....nqq1f8pc6iv636

trunks
10-18-2010, 18:36
I got my marlow from here:

http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/marlow-excel-d12-special-offer-lengths.html

I ordered the 2.5mm black, then bought some 2mm from nautical rope to use for the prussiks. Strong as hell and much cheaper than importing from the US

James T