PDA

View Full Version : best way to attach peak bag?????

wabi
08-17-2010, 20:24
Ordered a peak bag, but now I'm wondering on the best way to attach it in my DD Frontline. The bug net is sewn to the hammock, and the suspension isn't accessible from inside the hammock.

Thinking about sewing a loop of webbing to the bug net at the point where it is sewn to the hammock and attaching to the loop with a carabiner or S-biner.

Any suggestions??????

beep
08-17-2010, 20:26
Ordered a peak bag, but now I'm wondering on the best way to attach it in my DD Frontline. The bug net is sewn to the hammock, and the suspension isn't accessible from inside the hammock.

Thinking about sewing a loop of webbing to the bug net at the point where it is sewn to the hammock and attaching to the loop with a carabiner or S-biner.

Any suggestions??????

You could use a big safety pin...or even a diaper pin!

Barefoot Child
08-17-2010, 21:22
I think that Beep nailed it! KISS.

I have peak bags but a different hammock so I use #0 plastic S-biners and attach them to the wrapping at the end of my hammock, but since you don't have that option, why not just give Beep's idea a go mate.

If you choose a diaper pin you would get a pair (one for spare in the olde' repair kit) of pins, and you could make it be a duck, Mickey Mouse, or some nother cool thingee.

I'm not kidding, I think safety pins with charater heads are really kewel. :D

Cheers mate,
Barefoot Child

Frawg
08-17-2010, 21:29
Could try a small grip clip (http://shelter-systems.com/gripclips/) through the hammock body.

myles to go
08-18-2010, 05:46
Is there a ridgeline inside the bugnet ? If so you could use a small prussic loop around that and slide it to the end to clip to, just a thought :)

Festus Hagen
08-18-2010, 06:14
No internal ridgeline on a DD. I can't remember if there are internal loops at the head and feet, but you wouldn't want to weight them at all even if there are...

Is there a ridgeline inside the bugnet ? If so you could use a small prussic loop around that and slide it to the end to clip to, just a thought :)

Just Jeff
08-18-2010, 07:30
What does the end look like? Does it have any holes (like the Warbonnets) where you can stick a string thru it to tie to the support?

wabi
08-18-2010, 07:42
Could try a small grip clip (http://shelter-systems.com/gripclips/) through the hammock body.

Again the obvious solution escaped me. :o
I have a package of grip clips laying on my workbench. :rolleyes:

Festus Hagen
08-18-2010, 15:59
It's a gathered end with a sewn channel for your rope (or in my case, whoopie) and a full bugnet with zippers.

What does the end look like? Does it have any holes (like the Warbonnets) where you can stick a string thru it to tie to the support?

wabi
08-18-2010, 20:52
Got the new peak bag today (also a ridge line organizer - was shocked at the light weight & quality construction of both items - very nice!).

Removed the suspension from the head, located the center of the hammock, put a short 1/16" shock cord loop through the loop on the peak bag, took one stitch through the hammock material/bug net using my "speedy stitcher sewing awl" and 50# test dacron to secure the shock cord. (not what I'd planned, but it was quick & easy to do)

Replaced the suspension, hung the hammock, stretched a 1/16" shock cord ridge line inside the bug net with the organizer on the shock cord. (the bug net has 2 web strips across - head & foot - w/5 web loops per strip both inside & outside for both suspending the net & hanging items inside) I did stretch the shock cord fairly tight, so it has minimal sag with a few lightweight items in the pockets.

Got in the hammock to check out my work, and it was so comfortable (hung between two shade trees and a light breeze was blowing :D) the work ended for the day.

Looks like I still have several "honey-do" jobs on tomorrow's schedule. :rolleyes:

Outdoor_Nut
08-28-2010, 00:23
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a peak bag? It's not in the glossary. :confused:

Just Jeff
08-28-2010, 08:48
It's a bag that hangs upside down from the head end of the hammock (at the peak). Since the opening is on the bottom, it's easy to use from inside the hammock. And since it hangs at the top, it's out of the way until you need it.

BillyBob58
08-28-2010, 09:00
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a peak bag? It's not in the glossary. :confused:

It's a bag that hangs upside down from the head end of the hammock (at the peak). Since the opening is on the bottom, it's easy to use from inside the hammock. And since it hangs at the top, it's out of the way until you need it.

Thanks for asking, thanks for answering, I was stumped also. So it is for storage inside the hammock? It would, for ex, hang from the loop in an HH RL, with the opening towards you for stuffing clothes(or whatever) in?

Just Jeff
08-28-2010, 09:03
Exactly.

I like to put water in my peak bag. It keeps the heavy stuff out of the WBBB's shelf but it's still within easy reach. People who carry pistols often put them in the peak bag as well.

2Questions
08-28-2010, 09:29
We make them and sell them on our web site. Check it out on the link below. Thanks, ZQ

Outdoor_Nut
08-28-2010, 11:24
I located a picture on one in the gallery- looks like a nice feature. Thanks for the education!:D

mike777
08-30-2010, 23:03
I received 2 peak bags today from 2Q & ZQ. Very nice thread injection ;) and good design. My scale said they were 1/2 oz. I think I'll try using one as a pillow case. Thanks!

Shug
08-30-2010, 23:38
The Peak Bag has become a first string piece of gear for me.
You can see it in action on "Left-Over footage from the 10 PART Hammock How-To Series"!!!!
It is after part 10 .... scroll down.
Shug's Hammock How To. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15516)
Shug

Harpo63
08-31-2010, 07:03
People who carry pistols often put them in the peak bag as well.

Thanks Jeff. Now we know where they are hidden! :tongueup:

optimator
09-01-2010, 01:34

Mine houses a Kimber :D It along with the ridgeline organizer really give you a ton more storage space in your hammock. I need to order a 2nd of both!

Just Jeff
09-01-2010, 07:45

Great thing about a peak bag - quick easy access... :jj: