PDA

View Full Version : netting

dakotaross
10-17-2007, 15:25
I have a HH Explorer and I'm considering getting a Speer or ENO to save weight. I hike mainly in Ga and NC. I have never had any bug problems, although I've always had either a tent or the HH netting. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with bugs in this region to the point where they wished they had the netting, or was glad that they did?

How about other regions at different times of the year? (ones to avoid if going without netting)

Quoddy
10-17-2007, 15:53
I believe that the netting for the ENO is an option, whereas it's standard on the Speer. Very easy to take off, or put on as needed.

FanaticFringer
10-17-2007, 16:03
I have a HH Explorer and I'm considering getting a Speer or ENO to save weight. I hike mainly in Ga and NC. I have never had any bug problems, although I've always had either a tent or the HH netting. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with bugs in this region to the point where they wished they had the netting, or was glad that they did?

How about other regions at different times of the year? (ones to avoid if going without netting)

I just make sure I have netting in bug (warmer) weather.

warbonnetguy
10-17-2007, 19:57
i've experienced bad bugs in both states in the summer.

check out that mosquito repelling machine that was on some thread recently. maybe someone here rembers what it was called.

slowhike
10-17-2007, 22:30
i hike in the mountains of NC & VA. i've never used a bug net, but there have been just a few times that i wouldn't have minded having one.

mostly it's just pesky flies & gnats but some times a few misquotes. part of it is just being fortunate in the locations & timing. it's probably not a bad idea to have a net option when it's needed.

i like the simplicity & light weight of the speer bug net (attaches w/ velcro), even though i don't really like having to rip velcro apart every time i need to get out or reach out.

NCPatrick
10-18-2007, 06:47
I just heard Sunday morning of someone getting the West Nile virus at an NC beach.

I wouldn't risk or like going bug net-less personally, but some folks aren't bothered (like slowhike). I tend to end up as 'dinner' for the mosquito herd wherever I go. I mostly camp in NC.

The most ferocious mosquito's (misquotes :p) I ever experienced was when I camped on Cumberland Island, GA. many moons ago.

But as always, YMMV.

headchange4u
10-18-2007, 08:19
If bugs are active, I have to have a net. For some reason bugs are attracted to me, especially mosquitos. I have been in a group of 3-5 people and I will be the only one getting bit.

Cannibal
10-18-2007, 08:58
If bugs are active, I have to have a net. For some reason bugs are attracted to me, especially mosquitos. I have been in a group of 3-5 people and I will be the only one getting bit.

I share that trait; sucks (forgive the pun).

Rapt
10-18-2007, 09:36
Heh I'm the opposite... if there's more than just me there, the OTHER person is the one getting bit...

You guys wanna camp together??? :D

slowhike
10-18-2007, 13:38
yeah, i don't seem to be as attractive to the little blood suckers:eek: , but you're right, it's best to be cautious when they're active w/ the west nile & all.
i should be more cautious myself.