PDA

View Full Version : Have they changed the suspension yet?

Ursule
08-25-2010, 16:17
So, I've been waiting for a while now, have they changed the suspension yet on the hammocks? I understood nobody likes them, and as I'm ot a handyman, I wouldn't want to mess around with this too much. Is the current suspension OK or still the same?

Barefoot Child
08-25-2010, 18:58
What brand of hammock are you inquiring about?

Cannibal
08-25-2010, 19:07
What brand of hammock are you inquiring about?
It's in the Claytor sub, so I'm guessing the question is about a Claytor. :D

BillyBob58
08-25-2010, 21:31
So, I've been waiting for a while now, have they changed the suspension yet on the hammocks? I understood nobody likes them, and as I'm ot a handyman, I wouldn't want to mess around with this too much. Is the current suspension OK or still the same?

If you are otherwise wanting a Claytor hammock, don't let the suspension stop you. It get's a bad rap here, but I personally don't have a problem with it, and neither does my 220 plus lb son. I only use it on the foot end, I did change it out on the head end. But, I could use it on both ends no problem, my son does.

Most say it is bad to stretch, but we have not had any problem to speak of. In fact, the Claytor No Net with stock suspension on the foot end is one of the LEAST stretchy hammocks I have. But some feel different.

The biggest problem is it sucks water into the hammock like you turned on a hose. But I found this to be easily solved by tying a couple of extra knots into the suspension near the hammock on both sides of the channel. Works fine so far! For a little more complexity, cut the suspension webbing on each side of the channel, leaving enough on each end to tie a bowline knot, or whatever. Tie the knots through a rated climbing ring, or just clip a strong carabiner through the knots. Then tie the left over webbing to the biner or ring, run it around the tree and back to the biner, and tie a slipped 1/2 hitch and another, just like Claytor shows on his web site. Works GREAT!

But get the hammock and use the supplied suspension until you can figure out something you like better. That is, if a Claytor is what you want anyway! ;)

Ursule
08-29-2010, 03:48
Ok, sounds fine to me. Well, first of all, claytor is the only one that ships at a great rate, so I gravitated towards the JH (without the tarp), but it is very difficult to choose, all I know is that I want a hammock that is plenty huge (I'm a small guy but I love big hammocks) and well built, as I do not want to buy a new one the next 5 years! :-)

timetraveler1701
08-29-2010, 09:19
...I dont know if they have changed the suspension.....mine should be here in a week or two ! ........ It shouldn't be hard to convert to the whoopie sling set-up
I will let you know as soon as it arrives....I am so stoked for the gorge rat infestation !

soundmanob
08-31-2010, 11:09
I have not heard they have changed their suspension and I'd be surprised if he changed anything about the design based on passed problems when he did.
I agree w/ BB58, that the standard webbing doesn't deserve the bad rap it's received (Except for the watter prob. and wt.). The head/foot ends on any gathered end hammock is narrowed at its extremes because of how tight it is. The original webbing lessens this effect; it can't be tightened as much because of its bulk. This IMHO softens the shoulder squeeze and mid thigh hump you get with smaller diameter suspension. This is good use for the thick, standard webbing. Lastly, the diagonal lie of a JH is fairly narrow (Compared w/a WBBB,Dbl Nest) so the original webbing makes for a more comfortable lay. A nice comprimise is to change head end with Cinch or Whoopie allow for quick change adjustments and softened hump in the foot end with the original webbing.
When I started swapping out the suspension I first swapped out for the Triangle Cinch Buckle/ Strap and they failed at the welds (At 220 and 175 lbs people). Then the Aluminium Cinch Buckles (which slipped if not perfectly centered). Now I have the Whoopie slings which I think are superior in weight, simplicity and dependability.
A good cinch system I would like to try is Arrowhead Equip w/ chain link. They were out of stock after last sale but check them out...

TheWild
08-31-2010, 13:22
I recently bought my Claytor Jungle and it's still the "good" old webbing suspension... gonna order Whoopie slings for mine ;)

/Wild

Howardt
09-01-2010, 19:49
Hi there,

i got my Claytor Jungle with Tarp today and from my first hang i don't see any problems with the suspension at all. Maybe i will change something cause i'm going to camp a lot in the rain so i'll need something which prevents the rain from running down inside the hammock. But that's just a really bad weather thing i want to do. For summer hanging i would'nt change anything as far as i can see now.

Last thing to say is i am really impressed. The hammock really feels sturdy, is comfortable and i loved it from the moment i opened the package. Same with the Tarp. Great size, sturdy, i love it!

If you struggle which hammock to choose, i would absolutely recommend this one.
Price, Quality, Shipping, Look&Feel, i am completly satisfied.

I hope i can get out asap and try it under real world circumstances :D

TheWild
09-01-2010, 19:57
I hope i can get out asap and try it under real world circumstances :D

Hey Howardt :) (and welcome to HF - I see it's your first post here)

The Claytor JH sure is one cool hammock - no doubt about it! At that price it's hard to beat.

You're welcome to join us for the Danish/German Hang (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21211) if you want to test it with like-minded people - so far it looks like we're 2 Germans and 2 Danes - always room for more hangers ;)

/Wild