PDA

View Full Version : Think this will work for huggers?

4x4Dragon
08-25-2010, 22:46
My local outdoors store has the 6ft packs of the following for like $1.98 each:

http://www.coghlans.com/images/productBig/270.jpg

Think it will work after removing the buckle and sewing some reinforced loops?

Just Jeff
08-25-2010, 22:54
I had some like that...they have a very loose weave and were pretty easy to break. If these have a soft feel and a loose weave, they're probably the same thing. I wouldn't use them.

But it's hard to say for sure w/o seeing the actual strap.

4x4Dragon
08-25-2010, 23:00
I had some like that...they have a very loose weave and were pretty easy to break. If these have a soft feel and a loose weave, they're probably the same thing. I wouldn't use them.

But it's hard to say for sure w/o seeing the actual strap.

ok, i'll check the weave on them next time i'm in the store. thnx

Just Jeff
08-25-2010, 23:05
If you want cheap webbing that's suitable for tree huggers, go to Big Lots or Walmart and look for polyester cargo straps with the big buckles. They'll have the working loads and material on the packaging...get polyester with a working load over 700 lbs and you'll be fine. My Big Lots had them for about $5/pr, IIRC.

Just cut off the buckles and sew on some loops.

Veto 65
08-26-2010, 05:14
If the strap doesn’t have a load rating I don't use it for anything else but securing gear.

slowhike
08-26-2010, 06:26
Another note... Wal-mart sells 1" webbing by the foot in the sewing section (or at least they used to), but I'd stay away from it for suspending the hammock. It has worked at times but broke on me. Probably just a lesser quality.
I was using it as full suspension going from tree to hammock. You might get by w/ it as a tree huger, but I think I'd go w/ something a little more substantial.

Youngblood
08-26-2010, 08:46
If the strap doesn’t have a load rating I don't use it for anything else but securing gear.

That would be my advise as well. Polyester straps of sufficient rating can be gotten easily and at reasonable prices. There are plenty of applications for webbing that does not require it to be as strong as what we need and there is plenty of that out there.

When you look at the risk versus rewards for taking that kind of chance, I don't see taking the gamble. Even if you use it a couple of times and it is okay, without knowing its breaking strength and knowing you have a safe margin to use it with, you are still essentially playing Russian roulette with it each time you hang with it. In a simplified way, the larger the safety margin, the more time(s) you should be able to use it without problems.

SGT Rock
08-26-2010, 08:53
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Highland-12-ft-x-1-in-300-lbs-light-duty-endless-ratchet-tie-down/_/N-26bs?counter=8&itemIdentifier=207487_0_0_

Get yourself a couple of these and cut the long straps to your desired length.

eflat7
08-26-2010, 08:57
I just got a couple of ratchet straps with a 1500 lb rating for 15$ at wally world. Not to hang with, but could be use for such. Definitely wouldn't risk it.

JohnSawyer
08-26-2010, 08:57
I have those straps, and I would never consider hanging from them...

I've used HarborFreight tie-down straps... they're occasionally on sale for less than $5. I've also used Walmart polyester GG ribbon, I paid something like $0.50/yd..

AHE and others have good webbing relatively cheap, and it's a known product.

Here's the Strap I used at harborfreight: they're polyester, inexpensive, and bright yellow so you won't forget them on the tree...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-15-ft-ratcheting-tie-down-47708.html

GroundHog
08-26-2010, 12:15
Or go with orange..

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-1-inch-x-15-ft-ratcheting-tie-down-set-90984.html

Pitch
08-26-2010, 12:28
Do not use Poly Propylene straps...

That's the same stuff the cheap floating-roap is made out of (the waxy feeling stuff you find in Olympic swimming pool lanes with the floats).

It looks like the buckle is made of plastic too???

Don't do it :)