PDA

View Full Version : Have I missed anything

Ryvr
08-27-2010, 09:12
Gonna be going on my first ever hammock canoe trip, ( have done this trip many times over the last decade or so, but never in a hammock). I have made some major modifications already but being new to all this, I can't help but wonder if I'm missing that one mod that could make or break the trip.

I purhcased an ENO Double Nest Onelink System I have already swapped out the slap straps pro (but not until after I experienced my first 3 feet of stretch). Currently using whoopie slings and polyester tree huggers.

I have swapped out the ENO tarp for a War Bonnet one, and am in the process of add self tensioning guide lines. And have made my own rectangular underquilt.

I am have read several posts on adding a fixed ridge line and can decide if this will add to comfort or what the appropriate lenght should be? I was thinking 101"?

Is there anything I have missed?

Thanks in advance.

Cannibal
08-27-2010, 09:16
Sounds like you've got yourself a nice rig there! :cool:

Ridgelines won't necessarily help your comfort, just the consistency of the hang. If it's consistently bad, well that doesn't help the comfort. They are handy, but not a needed item. If you decide to make one, yeah, 101" is a pretty standard length. I find I like mine just a bit shorter on some hammocks and longer on others. I think my ENO with a ridgeline has a 100" length.

goodcaver
08-27-2010, 10:41
mmm... overquilt or sleeping bag :) I'm sure you've thought of it, just didn't list it :) Bug protection? Looks like you're good to go!

BlueSkies
08-27-2010, 11:01
If you are thinking about a ridge line ... I put an adjustable one on my double nest. You could make one [whoopie style] or pick one up from Arrowhead Equipment, or whoopieslings.com. I found that it does simplify my set up especially if I have to go to trees that are a little farther apart than I would like.

Ryvr
08-27-2010, 14:35
yeah sorry, I do have all the other camping basics, including sleeping bag and the guardian bug netting that comes with the onelink.

Gonna look into an adjustable ridge line but maybe not for this trip.

thanks again for the replies. I really hope this is a great trip and I almost want some weather so I can see how the hammock stacks up against the old tried and true tent.

Bunk
08-27-2010, 19:54
I use slap straps with my hammock and haven't experience a stretch and I'm 250lbs...I suppose it's good that I'm looking into changing my suspension system...I'd rather not deal with that problem!

Ryvr
08-28-2010, 14:22
yeah and im not even kidding when I say 3 feet of stretch, and I'm 275lbs. Get rid of those things, they are absolute garbage!