PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hangout 2008 Planning

headchange4u
10-22-2007, 11:04
2008 Hammock Forums Winter Hang Out

January 25-27

Mt. Rogers, Va

-81.49858 36.65392

Temps: Average conditions for January at the Mt Rogers National Rec Area are 23L to 43H with 3.5" precip. January is the average coolest month. (Monthly Averages (http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/24375))
- Prepare for single digits, snow and freezing rain (WOOHOO!!)
- Snow shoes not needed

Directions, Parking, Trail -
i will lay out some basic info on getting to wise shelter.
hwy 58 in VA. will take you to the entrance to greyson highlands state park.http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/graysonh.htm
GHSP phone#... (276) 579-7092
area ranger... (276) 783-5196

when you enter the park, it's all up hill & for a good ways.
1st you will come to the check-in booth which will be un-attended this time of year.
there's a fee for overnight parking & you'll find envelopes there to put your cash or check in. it has a tear-off to put on your mirror or dash w/ a number that matches the number on your payment envelope.
this just lets the rangers know that you paid the parking fee for that vehicle. you don't have to put the info about arrival/departure date, & destination if you don't want.
the cost is $8.00 for a two night stay (per vehicle).
as you continue up the park road you will pass the entrance to the picnic area on the right. keep going.
a little ways farther, you will turn into the paved road leading to the camp ground. these are easy to see because of the normal, brown park signs.
as soon as you turn onto the campground road, you will see the gravel parking area for overnight backpacking on the left, but unless you plan to hike in by a longer route, keep going on the camp ground road.
as you begin to enter the campground, you will see a small building (divided by a breezeway) on the right, w/ a sign that says "country store".
strait across, on the left, is the parking area that will get you closest to wise shelter.
last time i was there, they had a port-a-john in that little parking area, but i don't know if they leave those out all year or not.

at the back-side of the parking lot, you'll see a wide, multi-use trail (like a forest service road) that you'll follow by foot.
there are a couple trails that go off of that trail, but the main trail is obvious & you just stay on that.
you will cross two creeks that are not deep but just wide enough that they could make it a challenge to keep your feet dry... depends on the water flow & if there is snow or ice on the rocks.
after 20-30 minutes, the AT will cross the trail/road that you have been walking.
take a left on the AT. you'll soon cross a creek on a wooden foot bridge (w/ hand rails) & a couple minutes later be at wise shelter.
the whole walk took me about 40 minutes.

extra note...HOI told us last year about a short cut on the trails that saved us from having to make that last creek crossing.
when you see the 2nd wide creek just down the trail in front of you, there will be a zig-zag pony gate up on the bank to your left.
if you go through the gate & continue up the hill, you will come to the AT near wise shelter in about 5 minutes.
there may not be much of a trail to see, but just go strait up hill away from the road through an area that's mostly open w/ grass & a few shrubs.
if there's any snow on the ground & others have already used that path, it will be easy to follow their tracks.

Saturday Dinner: Community dinner on Saturday if you're interested...hot dogs on the fire. Please bring something to share if you plan on eating. There's a parking area pretty close to the shelter so you can keep a cooler in the car, then go get your food Saturday evening. Sign up to bring...
- Hot Dogs - GrizzlyAdams
- Chili - skippy
- Buns - slowhike
- Dessert - NCPatrick CC cookies
- Paper Plates (burnable) - Dutch
- Napkins or Paper Towels - mixinmaster
- Condiments - rstms
- Potato Salad
- Chips - blackedoutcoupe

BillyBob58
10-22-2007, 11:18
Time for the pre-planning for the 2nd annual Hammock Forums Winter Hangout.

Last year it was held at Mt Rogers (http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/mr/), in Virgina, at the end of January.

Questions that need to be addressed are:

.............I had thought about the the Smoky Mountains or perhaps the Big South Fork (http://www.nps.gov/biso/). If you have a suggestion for a spot please speak up.....

Either of these sound good.

slowhike
10-22-2007, 11:20
i'll vote for mt rogers area!
and jan or feb either one should work for me.
bad weather??? what's that:eek:

Cannibal
10-22-2007, 11:20
1. I don't know enough good spots to have a suggestion. But, if you're asking, southern areas work better for me.

2. The weekend of Jan. 19th is Martin Luther King Jr. weekend so that means a three day weekend for a lot of people; easier to travel. Ask the banker about paid holidays; anybody need a list of dates the Federal Reserve is closed? :p

3. Isn't bad weather part of the fun? What else would people whine about after the hang. :D

NCPatrick
10-22-2007, 11:25
Mt. Rogers was fun, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions...

I attended MAHHA in Maryland and will attend the upcoming hangout in RRG in Kentucky, 6 hours North and then 6 hours NorthWest. It would be nice to be somewhere farther South (it is Winter, after all) or Easterly. Off the AT? or the MST?

The timing worked well for me last year, right after the lull that happens after the holidays.

But I'm pretty flexible overall.

kohburn
10-22-2007, 11:40
I could probably pull off a mount rogers trip (had to look up the address : 3714 Highway 16, Marion, Virginia, 24354)

would be my first trip in the dead of winter for sure.

Ewker
10-22-2007, 11:57
You can do the Smokies if you stay at one of the campgrounds. The only ones open in the winter are Smokemont and Cades Cove. The non-rationed campsites have a limit to the number of people who can stay there so if you have to many to sign up you may be screwed.

Big South Fork or Red River Gorge would be nice..Mt Rogers is nice but it gets old after a while.

jlb2012
10-22-2007, 11:58
please don't schedule the 2008 winter hang the same weekend as SORUCK - which for the last 6 or so years has been MLK weekend

the conflict between the Gathering and MAHHA really was a problem - lets not repeat it

dixicritter
10-22-2007, 12:14
please don't schedule the 2008 winter hang the same weekend as SORUCK - which for the last 6 or so years has been MLK weekend

the conflict between the Gathering and MAHHA really was a problem - lets not repeat it

Ditto... I was about to ask the same thing. Rock and I have already committed to being at the SORUCK which will be held MLK weekend we've been told. Very difficult to choose between two events we want to attend. :D

FanaticFringer
10-22-2007, 12:15
Smokies sound good to me.

kohburn
10-22-2007, 12:17
any interest in hanging along the coastline instead of in the mountains?

Peter_pan
10-22-2007, 12:19
Smokies can be an issue on requirements to use the shelter etc....

Mt Rogers is well sited for good turn out.

Pan

Cannibal
10-22-2007, 12:25
Why couldn't SORUCK (whatever that is) and the hang be combined? The site for the 2007 SORUCK spoke about stealth sites .8 miles from the very well planned and scheduled events of SORUCK. What's to stop the HFers from having a party in a party? This seemed to be the method used at TrailDays, most of the hangers were in a 'gated community' of trees.

Just thinkin 2 birds with one stone and all that. I'm probably missing the whole point, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Ewker
10-22-2007, 12:33
Mt Rogers is well sited for good turn out.

Pan

so is Big South Fork and RRG

Coffee
10-22-2007, 12:57
I'm in for where ever provided I ever finsih up my hike. But hey, I'll already be packed.

neo
10-22-2007, 13:06
the bigsouth fork gets my vote,i can definately make it there:cool: neo

headchange4u
10-22-2007, 13:09
I just wanted to throw a couple of thoughts out there: I liked the short, mile or so hike in to the campsites at Mt Rogers. I also liked the fact that there was a shelter available for a central social gathering area.

Pan,

What are the restrictions on the shelters in the Smoky's? I know some are enclosed in a fence for bear protection, but I don't think bears would be a problem in Jan/Feb. Do the restrictions still apply?

HOI,

What are the dates of the SORUCK?

headchange4u
10-22-2007, 13:11
Maybe slowhike or another mod can modify this thread into a poll so we can vote on a location. So far we have:

Smoky's (prpbably need to narrow that down, geographically speaking)
Mt Rogers
Red River Gorge
Big South Fork

Any others?

Coffee
10-22-2007, 13:14
I was told that they took the lunch box cages down in the smokies. Too many people where standing inside and feeding the bears.

Is there any truth to the stories I heard that allows people to hammock at the shelters instead of tenting, even when they are not full?

GrizzlyAdams
10-22-2007, 13:19
Why couldn't SORUCK (whatever that is) and the hang be combined? The site for the 2007 SORUCK spoke about stealth sites .8 miles from the very well planned and scheduled events of SORUCK. What's to stop the HFers from having a party in a party? This seemed to be the method used at TrailDays, most of the hangers were in a 'gated community' of trees.

Just thinkin 2 birds with one stone and all that. I'm probably missing the whole point, but thought I'd throw it out there.

I didn't know what a SORUCK was until this thread. Google is my friend (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=403953&postcount=27).
Sounds like an event you'll will want to be at as you prepare for the thru-hike.

Shoot, sounds like an event I'd like to be at even though there are no thru-hikes in my near future. I have a son though who is eyeing that for 2009, once I am relieved from shelling out for his college tuition. (hmm, sounds to me like I'm the guy who ought to be getting a break here...)

Grizz

Peter_pan
10-22-2007, 14:17
I just wanted to throw a couple of thoughts out there: I liked the short, mile or so hike in to the campsites at Mt Rogers. I also liked the fact that there was a shelter available for a central social gathering area.

Pan,

What are the restrictions on the shelters in the Smoky's? I know some are enclosed in a fence for bear protection, but I don't think bears would be a problem in Jan/Feb. Do the restrictions still apply?

HOI,

Last I heard.... Smokies camping was restricted to the shelters.... meaning in the shelter unless it was full.... lot of ranger there also, and large groups are discouraged.... perhaps Sgt Rock or one of the Smokies locals can clarify the issue.

Pan

Ewker
10-22-2007, 14:29
why do you have to have a shelter?? There are some non-rationed sites (but they do have a limit on the number of people staying there) within a short hiking in distance.
If you gonna stay in the Smokies just use Cades Cove or Smokemont campgrounds as a base camp and go do some nice day hikes in the Smokies. It cost 14.00 a night to camp at either of those campgrounds

Big South Fork or RRG is still your best choice but then again there isn't any shelters there either :eek: :rolleyes:

NCPatrick
10-22-2007, 14:39
It's really nice to have a shelter to sit in or around when the wind whips up strong at 18 or so degrees F...

Cannibal
10-22-2007, 14:42
Shoot, sounds like an event I'd like to be at even though there are no thru-hikes in my near future. I have a son though who is eyeing that for 2009, once I am relieved from shelling out for his college tuition. (hmm, sounds to me like I'm the guy who ought to be getting a break here...)Grizz

It has my interest; I just get leery about events that are that planned out. Be here at this time, be gone by that time, etc.

I went to a place called Carter's Lake (I think) by Dalton, GA (north of Atlanta) a few years ago. It was really nice and if I remember correctly there were 3 or 4 different hiking trails that ran thru the area. Might be a good place to get together since it is fairly remote, but still accessible by vehicle.

headchange4u
10-22-2007, 14:50
why do you have to have a shelter??

I'm not saying we need a shelter, but it would be nice to a have a spot that had a area for socializing.

slowhike
10-22-2007, 15:11
a shelter would be a nice feature to have, not only for the wind but for any precipitation that may decide to fall during our social time.

we could certainly do a camp ground if that's what the group decides on, but i thought it was kinda neat that it was a short hike in last winter... not to far to allow for getting to the vehicles if someone need to for back up gear or what ever. this may be the first true winter hammocking for some.

i'll look to see if a poll can be added here w/o starting a new thread.

i wish we had a map w/ push pins for HF members locations so we could get a better idea where the more central locations would be. any one know how to make that happen on a computer screen?

from all i've gathered about the smokies, i think we would be going against regulations there.

mixinmaster
10-22-2007, 15:20
I was told that they took the lunch box cages down in the smokies. Too many people where standing inside and feeding the bears.

Is there any truth to the stories I heard that allows people to hammock at the shelters instead of tenting, even when they are not full?

A couple of shelters were still waiting to have there cages taken down this past spring. And I specifically asked a ridge runner the hammock question during my run through the restricted Smokies. We were at IceWater (?) Shelter above the Gap. He said no go. If the shelter is full, they would rather have hammockers then. But if the shelter has room, you gotta stay in them. Hammocks still "leave a trace", he claimed.

mixinmaster
10-22-2007, 15:22
For what its worth, my vote is Mt. Rogers........ It's in my backyard and I'm selfish. Sometimes. :D

Coffee
10-22-2007, 15:24
If not a shelter I would throw in a suggestion for somewhere near a watersourse. Really nice if the plan is to use it as a base camp for a couple days.

If not a base camp than how about 2 different sites that are not that far apart. Something 5-8 miles.

Cannibal
10-22-2007, 15:30
i wish we had a map w/ push pins for HF members locations so we could get a better idea where the more central locations would be. any one know how to make that happen on a computer screen?

I've got MS MapPoint; does exactly that. It's really easy to use I just need to get the city & state listings scraped off the profiles. I'll see what I can do if I get bored tonight.

slowhike
10-22-2007, 15:31
If not a shelter I would throw in a suggestion for somewhere near a watersourse. Really nice if the plan is to use it as a base camp for a couple days.

If not a base camp than how about 2 different sites that are not that far apart. Something 5-8 miles.

plenty of water at mt rogers wise shelter<g>. and plenty of day hiking avalible too!

slowhike
10-22-2007, 15:33
Hammocks still "leave a trace", he claimed.

what kind of novices are putting out there as ridgerunners:eek:

Walking Bear
10-22-2007, 15:37
:mad: I would like to attend one of these events. However, none of the listed sites seem to be within a days drive of Nebraska.

angrysparrow
10-22-2007, 15:48

I've got MS MapPoint; does exactly that. It's really easy to use I just need to get the city & state listings scraped off the profiles. I'll see what I can do if I get bored tonight.

It would be best done with Google Maps. That way, it would be online and easily edited.

Slowhike...since your the mod here, if you have a Google login, go to maps.google.com and 'create' a map and publish it.

Cannibal
10-22-2007, 15:49
:mad: I would like to attend one of these events. However, none of the listed sites seem to be within a days drive of Nebraska.

Depends on how fast you drive! Topeka, KS to Fort Lauderdale, FL 26.5 hours. It can be done, it ain't fun but....

The Ozarks would be a cool spot, but I think you are a little outnumbered on this site.

slowhike
10-22-2007, 15:51

i understand that. it seems that the larger portion of this group (for what ever reasons) seems to be in the south eastern US.
but i hope there will be groups (even one or two) that can get together w/ their hammocks in other places... up north, out west, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, & so on.

slowhike
10-22-2007, 15:53
the poll is ready at the beginning of this thread.

Walking Bear
10-22-2007, 16:01
Cannibal Quote:

Depends on how fast you drive! Topeka, KS to Fort Lauderdale, FL 26.5 hours. It can be done, it ain't fun but....

Did something about like that on a return trip from Maine to do a section hike on the AT a few years ago. 1650 miles in 26 hrs. Average about 70 mph on mostly Interstates. Just keep the doors shut and keep rolling.:cool:
PS No wives:eek:

alex30808
10-22-2007, 16:36
I would like to join in on the hang...so my vote is the Smokies...simply cause it's more local to me...about 5 hour drive or so.

slowhike
10-22-2007, 16:55
It would be best done with Google Maps. That way, it would be online and easily edited.

Slowhike...since your the mod here, if you have a Google login, go to maps.google.com and 'create' a map and publish it.

i looked into that, but it looks like to do a custom map(s) w/ custom markers (letters that would represent member names), it becomes more involved. it sounds like you gotta know stuff about Java & stuff like that:eek:
am i missing a simpler version?

slowhike
10-22-2007, 16:57
I would like to join in on the hang...so my vote is the Smokies...simply cause it's more local to me...about 5 hour drive or so.

i'm not sure if we should have included the smokies because of the regulations???

angrysparrow
10-22-2007, 17:01
i looked into that, but it looks like to do a custom map(s) w/ custom markers (letters that would represent member names), it becomes more involved. it sounds like you gotta know stuff about Java & stuff like that:eek:
am i missing a simpler version?

err...You must be. All that you need do is create a published map and put a pushpin on each city location that contains a hammock forums member that wants to be on the map. It only gets more involved than that if you want more features. You just said you wanted a rough plot of members...

hangnout
10-22-2007, 17:25
The Big South Fork is close to me so that would be great but may not be all that cold compared to Mt Rogers.

BillyBob58
10-22-2007, 17:47
I voted for BSF, but any of those choices will be great if I can get time off. The GSMP or BSF would be closer for me.

headchange4u
10-22-2007, 18:09
I think the map showing member location would be great. I started a test map at:

Hammock Forums Google Test Map
(http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=33.687782,-77.563477&spn=21.09966,47.856445&z=5&om=1&msid=115779655038353105372.00043d1ca5d5c9832ab7d)
I don't see a way for people to add their own place marks. It looks like I have to do it. I added the Red River Gorge, Smokies, Big South Fork and Mt Rogers place marks as well as my own location.

If you want your location noted on the map please email me (headchangestudio(at)gmail(dot)com) with the city you live in as well as your zip code and forum user name an I will put a place mark on the map for you. Please don't PM me because my box is almost full. Put "MAP" as the subject of your email.

neo
10-22-2007, 20:54
why do you have to have a shelter?? There are some non-rationed sites (but they do have a limit on the number of people staying there) within a short hiking in distance.
If you gonna stay in the Smokies just use Cades Cove or Smokemont campgrounds as a base camp and go do some nice day hikes in the Smokies. It cost 14.00 a night to camp at either of those campgrounds

Big South Fork or RRG is still your best choice but then again there isn't any shelters there either :eek: :rolleyes:

:D i am with ya eddie,real hammock hangers dont need shelters:cool: neo

FanaticFringer
10-22-2007, 21:53

And all this time I thought those guys and gals were "Real" hangers.:rolleyes:

slowhike
10-22-2007, 21:56
And all this time I thought those guys and gals were "Real" hangers.:rolleyes:

i guess not:rolleyes:

neo
10-22-2007, 22:24
i'm not sure if we should have included the smokies because of the regulations???

i 2nd that smokies not a great hammock hangout:cool: neo

jlb2012
10-23-2007, 03:59
HOI,

This years dates are January 18, 19 & 20.

Hooch
10-23-2007, 05:33
I'm in for the Big South Fork site, sounds good to me. Is this at an established campground or a backcountry site? Also, if I may, another suggestion is a shelter on the AT; Groundhog Creek Shelter. It's about a 5.6 mile hike in from Max Patch Road, but mostly down hill. I don't know if that's a little farther than anyone wanted to hike in, but it's another option if anyone is interested. If not, then count me in for BSF, but I'm open for whatever the group chooses. :D BTW, I didn't pick RRG because we're already having the November hangout there, so we may as well go someplace different. I'm all for trying someplace I've never been before. After all adventure is my middle name. Well, not on my driver's license or birth certificate or anything, but it sounded good.

slowhike
10-23-2007, 05:54

i wasn't going to bother to re-explain what i had already said but their may be others besides neo & eddie that don't understand the advantage of having a shelter for a group that could be 10 or 15 people in the winter.

for one thing, most of these folks will be driving for hours to get there & this may be the only opportunity they get to hang out & talk w/ some of the others.

if weather conditions are bad, i know how to deal w/ it but the best way for a group to be able to hang out & talk w/o being exposed is to have some kind of a shelter.

we don't have to be near a shelter if that's what the group decides, but i just wanted to add that thought. ...tim

NCPatrick
10-23-2007, 06:49
Where exactly would we camp at Big South Fork? I may change my vote.

Hooch
10-23-2007, 06:58
I'm in for the Big South Fork site, sounds good to me. Is this at an established campground or a backcountry site?

Where exactly would we camp at Big South Fork? I may change my vote.
Hey, that was my question. :eek: Stop stealin' my questions NCP! :p

NCPatrick
10-23-2007, 06:59
Well, it's such a GOOD question. :)

hangnout
10-23-2007, 07:04
http://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

Link to Park page

NCPatrick
10-23-2007, 07:06
The only places listed here are:

Two campgrounds, Bandy Creek (TN) and Blue Heron (KY) are highly developed sites with many amenities while the Alum Ford Campground (KY) offers a limited number of primitive campsites. Two equestrian campgrounds, Bear Creek (KY) and Station Camp (TN) are both highly developed campgrounds operated by concessionaires.

???

Ewker
10-23-2007, 08:17
Bandy Creek has a big group site away from the regular campsites if you wanted to go that way. In BSF you can camp anywhere along the trail. Along Laurel Fork Creek Trail has some really nice places to camp that can hold quite a few folks

NCPatrick
10-23-2007, 08:20
Thanks Ewker.

headchange4u
10-23-2007, 08:22
I know there is a nice area around the O & W bridge on the John Muir Trail.

Ewker
10-23-2007, 08:26
i wasn't going to bother to re-explain what i had already said but their may be others besides neo & eddie that don't understand the advantage of having a shelter for a group that could be 10 or 15 people in the winter.

for one thing, most of these folks will be driving for hours to get there & this may be the only opportunity they get to hang out & talk w/ some of the others.

if weather conditions are bad, i know how to deal w/ it but the best way for a group to be able to hang out & talk w/o being exposed is to have some kind of a shelter.

we don't have to be near a shelter if that's what the group decides, but i just wanted to add that thought. ...tim

Tim, I understand the advantage of a shelter. I also know that tarps can be put up for folks to get under when you have bad weather conditions. Plus if you have people backpacking who are staying at the shelter the last thing they want is a group of 10-15 people hanging out there getting the shelter wet or cooking in it. After the socializing the group would be moving back to their camping area but the problem has been done.

neo
10-23-2007, 11:13
Tim, I understand the advantage of a shelter. I also know that tarps can be put up for folks to get under when you have bad weather conditions. Plus if you have people backpacking who are staying at the shelter the last thing they want is a group of 10-15 people hanging out there getting the shelter wet or cooking in it. After the socializing the group would be moving back to their camping area but the problem has been done.

:D your right ewker i agree:cool: neo

slowhike
10-23-2007, 16:03

ewker, if you & neo want to come & put up a tarp big enough for how ever many people end up going, then be my guest.
sorry to spoil your other reasoning but we didn't wet the shelter, we left it cleaner than we found it.
& when we saw the only other campers that came by that week end, we made them feel right at home, offered to be of any assistance & even spread out from the shelter... but they assured us they had a farther goal to reach.

any thing else?

FanaticFringer
10-23-2007, 16:04
ewker, if you & neo want to come & put up a tarp big enough for how ever many people end up going, then be my guest.
sorry to spoil your other reasoning but we didn't wet the shelter, we left it cleaner than we found it.
& when we saw the only other campers that came by that week end, we made them feel right at home, offered to be of any assistance & even spread out from the shelter... but they assured us they had a farther goal to reach.

any thing else?

I'm sure they'll think of something.......:rolleyes:

hangnout
10-23-2007, 18:46
Big South Fork averages about 1500 ft elevation, Wise Shelter Mt Rogers around 4400 ft elevation. If you want to make sure it is cold for "testing" Mt Rogers would be the best choice. I voted for the BSF because it is almost my backyard but it really is a place better suited for a hiking trip.

tnhillbilly
10-23-2007, 20:57
Just a couple of ideas. Hiking too far will probably keep some newbies from risking problems in the winter without a close backup option. Pickett State Park joins up to the west side of Big South Fork. It has many trails including the John Muir trail. Some of the trails are shorter 1-5 miles. I would think that maybe the rangers there would work with us in using either the campground or backcountry camping areas. Another option moving us a little further east and north and up would be the Cumberland Gap national Park in the area where Tennessee, Kentucky, and Virginia meets. Again long and short trails. Campground but not highly developed and back country sites. I voted for the BSF but these other areas came to mind as possibly meeting our needs as well. Just some food for thought. tnhillbilly

Ewker
10-23-2007, 22:33

any thing else?

based on the pics from last yrs event I wouldn't have wanted to sleep in the shelter with the cooking that went on. There is a picnic table in front of the shelter that should have been used for that.

sorry you don't want to explore other areas

anything else??

Ewker
10-23-2007, 22:36
I'm sure they'll think of something.......:rolleyes:

I don't see you wanting to go to Mt Rogers either. If you are gonna comment make it worth while instead of trying to stir the pot

slowhike
10-23-2007, 22:50
I don't see you wanting to go to Mt Rogers either. If you are gonna comment make it worth while instead of trying to stir the pot

isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black:rolleyes:

Ewker
10-23-2007, 22:57
nope not at all..I am giving reasons to go to another place ..he isn't

GrizzlyAdams
10-23-2007, 22:57
It's unfortunate that the polling mechanism limits a voter to one choice. My guess is that we're trying to assess preference and constraints all at the same time; for those of us on the edge, constraints matter more than preference. I put in for BSF because it's not that far from Knoxville, and I have a business reason that might get me in that area when I want. But I could get to RRG (indeed I'm hoping to drive there in November). The other sites are too far, just as RRG may be too far for the southeastern hangers.

A better picture of what is possible---not just maximizing the number of voters whose highest preference is met---might be obtained if a voter could select the sites that meet constraints and he'd be willing to go to.

My preference is to go somewhere it's OK to build a fire!

Grizz

slowhike
10-23-2007, 23:15
based on the pics from last yrs event I wouldn't have wanted to sleep in the shelter with the cooking that went on. There is a picnic table in front of the shelter that should have been used for that.

sorry you don't want to explore other areas

anything else??

never said i wouldn't explore other areas ewker (just the opposite), i just made a simple commit on considering the possibility of having a shelter to hang out in if the weather turns out to be rough.

if the group decides to hang on top of an exposed ridge, i guess i'll go along.
but i would find a protected place to hang.

and maybe the weather won't be that bad & we wont even want to be under any cover, but i know for a fact that you or neo or most any one wouldn't enjoy sitting out for long in some of the cold winds that blast the mountain sides at times.
if you don't know that, it just shows inexperience.

sometimes i think you just like to sit at your key board & stir people up, but if you keep pokin at me, you wont like the end results. ...tim

slowhike
10-23-2007, 23:19
It's unfortunate that the polling mechanism limits a voter to one choice. My guess is that we're trying to assess preference and constraints all at the same time; for those of us on the edge, constraints matter more than preference. I put in for BSF because it's not that far from Knoxville, and I have a business reason that might get me in that area when I want. But I could get to RRG (indeed I'm hoping to drive there in November). The other sites are too far, just as RRG may be too far for the southeastern hangers.

A better picture of what is possible---not just maximizing the number of voters whose highest preference is met---might be obtained if a voter could select the sites that meet constraints and he'd be willing to go to.

My preference is to go somewhere it's OK to build a fire!

Grizz

i believe i set it up so that you can make multiple votes. let me know if that's what you find.
i'm not sure that an earlier vote can be removed though.

Ewker
10-23-2007, 23:20
never said i wouldn't explore other areas ewker (just the opposite), i just made a simple commit on considering the possibility of having a shelter to hang out in if the weather turns out to be rough.

if the group decides to hang on top of an exposed ridge, i guess i'll go along.
but i would find a protected place to hang.

and maybe the weather won't be that bad & we wont even want to be under any cover, but i know for a fact that you or neo or most any one wouldn't enjoy sitting out for long in some of the cold winds that blast the mountain sides at times.
if you don't know that, it just shows inexperience.

sometimes i think you just like to sit at your key board & stir people up, but if you keep pokin at me, you wont like the end results. ...tim

I made a simple comment also but you decided to pull rank. I have been out in all kinds of weather so no it isn't inexperience on my part, maybe for others it might be. Sorry I speak my mind and you can't handle it

slowhike
10-23-2007, 23:39
I made a simple comment also but you decided to pull rank. I have been out in all kinds of weather so no it isn't inexperience on my part, maybe for others it might be. Sorry I speak my mind and you can't handle it

has nothing to do w/ rank. i just don't like the smart commits & those who don't know when to leave something alone.
so like i told you in the PM, i'd like for you to be part of a more peaceful, respectful, decision making process or don't be part of it.
i can speak my mind when needed too. ...tim

Ewker
10-23-2007, 23:42
like I told you in the PM, I wasn't the one who made the smart mouth comment "anything else" first.

Hooch
10-24-2007, 07:12
Let us not squabble, boys and girls. Play nice, both of you. :p

GrizzlyAdams
10-24-2007, 07:23
i believe i set it up so that you can make multiple votes. let me know if that's what you find.
i'm not sure that an earlier vote can be removed though.

Ah-ha. I see that at the bottom of the poll results it says it is a multiple-choice poll. That's in white letters, so these old eyes didn't see it before. Appears that the multiple choices need to be done all at once though, I'm not finding a way to augment the existing selection.

Grizz

slowhike
10-24-2007, 07:29
Ah-ha. I see that at the bottom of the poll results it says it is a multiple-choice poll. That's in white letters, so these old eyes didn't see it before. Appears that the multiple choices need to be done all at once though, I'm not finding a way to augment the existing selection.

Grizz

it looks like i can change the # of votes beside the locations. do you want me to add one to RRG & see what happens?

GrizzlyAdams
10-24-2007, 07:33
it looks like i can change the # of votes beside the locations. do you want me to add one to RRG & see what happens?

sure, although you might end up busy tinkering with this with everyone else who wants to add votes.

Thanks.

Grizz

slowhike
10-24-2007, 07:41
sure, although you might end up busy tinkering with this with everyone else who wants to add votes.

Thanks.

Grizz

OK, vote added to RRG, it just doesn't show your name there.

FanaticFringer
10-24-2007, 15:33

How in the world did you escape my "Ignore" list?????:eek:
Back to ignore you go.:p

Doctari
10-24-2007, 16:22
I voted all, so here I will list them in order of MY preference:

#1: RRG
#2: Big south fork
#3: GSMNP
#4: Mt Rogers.

Some may notice that all are listed in order of closeness to my home :D

Jan of 08 I'm avalable & vote for 1/3-7/08 & 1/24-28/08
Feb of 08 I'm avalable & vote for 2/14-18/08

If at RRG I can make almost any other weekend, at least for 2 of the days.

I may be able to bring a Groundling so we can corrupt him (insert evil laugh here) :p

I Humbly ask: I thought that bad weather was why we had the winter hangout, so why have a "bad weather date"? After all, if 5 degree temps, 50 MPH wind gusts & freezing rain like we had this year isn’t “bad weather” you are scaring me. :D :p :D

Doctari.

Shadowmoss
10-24-2007, 16:28
Tim, Ewker is the site crummugeon. Every site needs at least one. Actually, he and AngrySparrow seem to tag team on that count.

Count yourself lucky, so far we don't have the Lone Wolf, etc. wars that WB has, although I admit that I truly enjoy watching LW get folks excited over there. Basically, leave 'em alone and they will just make single crummugeon remarks here and there to spice things up. Call 'em on it, and it becomes a war with no winners.

In other words, get a sense of humor. Please.

neo
10-24-2007, 16:39
:) why dont we have 4 hangouts,every body go to the one you voted on
because i will only go to the at big south fork,4 hangouts,each group organize their on hangout convenient to them:cool: neo

neo
10-24-2007, 16:40
Tim, Ewker is the site crummugeon. Every site needs at least one. Actually, he and AngrySparrow seem to tag team on that count.

Count yourself lucky, so far we don't have the Lone Wolf, etc. wars that WB has, although I admit that I truly enjoy watching LW get folks excited over there. Basically, leave 'em alone and they will just make single crummugeon remarks here and there to spice things up. Call 'em on it, and it becomes a war with no winners.

In other words, get a sense of humor. Please.

:D whats a crummugeon lol:cool: neo

FanaticFringer
10-24-2007, 17:01
because i will only go to the at big south fork,4 hangouts,each group organize their on hangout convenient to them:cool: neo

That's a really good idea.

Doctari
10-24-2007, 17:01
If smokies: I reccomend one of the following sites:
Campsite #20 on the Meigs Mt. trail. This site used to be an apple orchard pre national park. there are lots of level sites & trees, and 2 streams run thru the area. It's likely about 3 - 4 miles from trailhead on a fairly easy trail. Very pretty site when I was there in 94, but then it is ONLY 3 miles from trailhead.

Campsite #24 it's reservable/restricted, but an EASY hike on a former road near the end of the Little river trail. It has (had) plenty of trees for hanging in the area, is right on the little river at a jct with a smaller stream. In 90 it was VERY HEAVILY USED!

Accross the river from #24 & about 4 miles upstream on the Goshen prong trail is campsite #23, also reservable, but MUCH less used, trees, flat spots, on two streams, etc. But further in from the trailhead. A former homestead, the gate was still there in 90.

Note: All of the above trails start at the Elkmont campground, the road to MAY be closed during the winter.

In RRG: an easy area to reach, on a stream, near a parking lot with a privy is the on the trail to rock bridge. taking the trail to the right of the parking lot, about 100 or so ft past the bottom of the stairs, lots of trees, close to a nice waterfall (creation falls) & the rock bridge.

I like the Wise shelter area in Mt Rogers.

I have never been to BSF.

Hooch
10-24-2007, 17:02
:D whats a crummugeon lol:cool: neo That can be found here (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=curmudgeon). And here (http://www.answers.com/topic/curmudgeon). And here (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/curmudgeon).

angrysparrow
10-24-2007, 17:03

I'm afraid I can't disagree. I am disagreeable at times. But, to be fair, I warn you with the name alone...:rolleyes: But, that doesn't mean I'm not right when I make certain remarks...;)

For what it's worth, I do think that Ewker was wrong when he said

It's not his place to say if something is worth while or not...that's for the 'group collective' to decide...

Also, it seems a real shame to abandon the idea of a central hangout at least once per year. If everyone can't or won't go, then so be it. There will never be full agreement in anything. But, that's not a reason not to have it. Getting as many members together as possible sometimes is a good thing. I would think, though, that it might be good to move it around from year to year. Mix it up so that the burden of travel isn't always on the same members. That's my .02.

bmike
10-24-2007, 17:13

and i'll stay up north here... :(

Cannibal
10-24-2007, 18:02
Also, it seems a real shame to abandon the idea of a central hangout at least once per year. If everyone can't or won't go, then so be it. There will never be full agreement in anything. But, that's not a reason not to have it. Getting as many members together as possible sometimes is a good thing. I would think, though, that it might be good to move it around from year to year. Mix it up so that the burden of travel isn't always on the same members. That's my .02.

I don't think I could agree more with this. There should be a group hang.

headchange4u
10-24-2007, 18:15
I Humbly ask: I thought that bad weather was why we had the winter hangout, so why have a "bad weather date"? After all, if 5 degree temps, 50 MPH wind gusts & freezing rain like we had this year isn’t “bad weather” you are scaring me. :D :p :D

Doctari.

I'm talking impassable roads and huge snow drifts neck high.:D

neo
10-24-2007, 18:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrysparrow
Also, it seems a real shame to abandon the idea of a central hangout at least once per year. If everyone can't or won't go, then so be it. There will never be full agreement in anything. But, that's not a reason not to have it. Getting as many members together as possible sometimes is a good thing. I would think, though, that it might be good to move it around from year to year. Mix it up so that the burden of travel isn't always on the same members. That's my .02

QUOTE=Cannibal;33590]I don't think I could agree more with this. There should be a group hang.[/QUOTE]

WELL NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD TO GO TO THE ONE FARREST FOR THEM,I AM A FULL TIME SINGLE DAD 24/7,:cool: NEO

Cannibal
10-24-2007, 18:28
neo- not wanting to pick a fight here. I can't afford to travel to every hang either; sure wish I could. They are ALL far for me to get to.

All I'm saying is that once a year there should be a group hang. There are lots of regional hangs that move around and get closer to one place or another. But, once a year it would be nice to get as many of us together as possible. A year is a long time to be able to plan for something.

slowhike
10-24-2007, 19:25
i see no reason to abandon the idea of a central hangout at least once per year. it seems like that's what the group wants to do so lets do it!

i understand that everyone can't make it. i would have loved to make it to the MAHHA camp out but just couldn't swing it.
who knows, something could keep me from making this "Annual Hammock Forums Winter Campout.

maybe we could do an annual spring & a fall hang out for the group too?

i still hope as many as can will try to keep getting together for smaller group hang outs. especially those that live farther away from the larger concentration of HF members.

and maybe if we plan far enough in advance, occasionally one or two of the farther members would be able to work it in. who knows, we might even get one from the west coast or Canada, or Hong Kong, Australia or the UK some day:)

bmike
10-24-2007, 19:47
i see no reason to abandon the idea of a central hangout at least once per year. it seems like that's what the group wants to do so lets do it!

i understand that everyone can't make it. i would have loved to make it to the MAHHA camp out but just couldn't swing it.
who knows, something could keep me from making this "Annual Hammock Forums Winter Campout.

maybe we could do an annual spring & a fall hang out for the group too?

i still hope as many as can will try to keep getting together for smaller group hang outs. especially those that live farther away from the larger concentration of HF members.

and maybe if we plan far enough in advance, occasionally one or two of the farther members would be able to work it in. who knows, we might even get one from the west coast or Canada, or Hong Kong, Australia or the UK some day:)

one of the trade guilds i belong to does an eastern and a western conference... in hopes of snagging folks who might not be able to travel far for each event - and these tend to rotate about from north to south in the east and west. they also do regional "rendevous" on a semi irregular basis.

granted, doesn't seem like HF has enough draw to warrant that at the moment... but when a group decides to head north, i'll be a newbie thats game to hang out.

slowhike
10-24-2007, 21:30
one of the trade guilds i belong to does an eastern and a western conference... in hopes of snagging folks who might not be able to travel far for each event - and these tend to rotate about from north to south in the east and west. they also do regional "rendevous" on a semi irregular basis.

granted, doesn't seem like HF has enough draw to warrant that at the moment... but when a group decides to head north, i'll be a newbie thats game to hang out.

i believe you've got a few HF members not to far away mike. just start a thread (under the "hammock campouts" forum) to see how much interest you get.
even if you just do a weekend hike w/ one or two other hammockers, that would be a good learning experience & a chance to put faces w/ names.

slowhike
10-24-2007, 21:33
WOW... i see Turk's even signed up to try & make the trip down! good deal!

Bird Dog
10-24-2007, 22:39
I dont have a dog in the fight because my schedule dictates if I can attend or not. However, if there is a good turn out, the Smokies wouldnt be feasible since there is a limit to the number allowed at a campsite. Let me know what the final word is and Ill try to make it. BD

GrizzlyAdams
10-24-2007, 22:49
Tim-
I see that Mt. Rodgers is a couple of hours away from Blacksburg. I can invite myself to visit folks I know at Virginia Tech and so work in a weekend side-line to Mt. Rodgers. So you can up the count on that one too. Which as of this posting makes 11 votes for MR and 11 for SRB. Just to make things interesting!

Grizz

slowhike
10-25-2007, 05:59
Tim-
I see that Mt. Rodgers is a couple of hours away from Blacksburg. I can invite myself to visit folks I know at Virginia Tech and so work in a weekend side-line to Mt. Rodgers. So you can up the count on that one too. Which as of this posting makes 11 votes for MR and 11 for SRB. Just to make things interesting!

Grizz

we'll do. if you do get a chance to get to mt rogers, it's a beautiful area w/ quite a few open, meadow covered bald mountain tops. one of my favorite places.

Ewker
10-25-2007, 12:06
I am biting my tongue and will not respond to various posts or one PM

since your adding multiple votes add one to RRG

NCPatrick
10-25-2007, 12:09
... Let me know what the final word is and Ill try to make it. BD

I'm with BD. You guys work it out and let me know where you're going to be. I'll try to make it there if I can.

turk
10-25-2007, 18:46
If it ends up being Mt Rogers, I would very much like to attend.
TN works too.

slowhike
10-25-2007, 19:47
I dont have a dog in the fight because my schedule dictates if I can attend or not. However, if there is a good turn out, the Smokies wouldnt be feasible since there is a limit to the number allowed at a campsite. Let me know what the final word is and Ill try to make it. BD

we'll do. good to hear from you BD.

slowhike
10-25-2007, 19:49
I am biting my tongue and will not respond to various posts or one PM

since your adding multiple votes add one to RRG

1 vote added to RRG.

Ewker
10-25-2007, 21:09
1 vote added to RRG.

thank you....

Sasquatch
10-29-2007, 12:34
If its too far south it may be tough to make it for me. Will have to see as we get closer what timining permits.

Just Jeff
10-29-2007, 20:18
I voted for Smokies this time b/c I plan on hitting Mt Rogers with my son before then.

But in the future I think a snowy hang on the Long Trail would be a nice trip, and would be easier on the folks up north.

Kanguru
10-31-2007, 19:08
Gee guys, I probably shouldn't have voted. :eek: I am a nube. Haven't completed my home made gear or even slept in my hammock. Don't know if I'll be properly equipped to hang if it is very cold. I voted for Mt. Rogers because it's close, I sort of know the area and the short hike would allow me options if I needed to be on the ground. I am equipped for cold weather there. You may remove my MR vote if you wish.
Thanks...

slowhike
10-31-2007, 19:16
Gee guys, I probably shouldn't have voted. :eek: I am a nube. Haven't completed my home made gear or even slept in my hammock. Don't know if I'll be properly equipped to hang if it is very cold. I voted for Mt. Rogers because it's close, I sort of know the area and the short hike would allow me options if I needed to be on the ground. I am equipped for cold weather there. You may remove my MR vote if you wish.
Thanks...

no problem. i'll only remove it if you tell me to.
if you give it a shot, we'll try to help you w/ anything you may need... like an under quilt. it would be good to have you join us.
we had a guy join us for his 1st night in a hammock at rogers last winter. we rigged up an extra quilt as his under quilt & he said he actually got a little to warm.
welcome to HF. ...tim

Peter_pan
10-31-2007, 20:16
Thanks...

rstms,

plan to come and post what you need someone will bring it for you... last Jan we came up with a whole hammock camp including insulation for a ground guy to loose his hanging virginity... and that was without any preplanning....

Pan

Kanguru
11-01-2007, 02:10
Thanks! We'll see how things look as time gets closer. Surely I can get in some testing time before then. I think I am going to enjoy hanging though...can't help but be excited when the looking for a campsite doesn't looking "down" first before all else. If Mt. Rogers indeed becomes the location I'll try to be there. Looking forward to seeing all the innovative home made gear.

kohburn
11-01-2007, 08:24
what type of night time temp do we need to prepare for there?

Peter_pan
11-01-2007, 08:28
what type of night time temp do we need to prepare for there?

Seems like we all prepared for minus zero number last year....

Pan

NCPatrick
11-01-2007, 08:35
I'll be more prepared for wind than I was last year.

Doctari
11-01-2007, 09:12
Thanks...

Yea, like Pan said, we came prepared :D . If I can make it, I'm bringing (extra): Hammock (fits to 5' 8"), 12 X 20 "blue" tarp (it's green actually), ropes / webbing for suspension, etc. I figure on leaving all of that in the car, but you never know.

FWIW: We all had a GREAT time!!

GrizzlyAdams
11-01-2007, 09:23
for my part, if I'm coming out (and I'd like to) I'll have to have a good long heads up on the where and the when---I get to go by generating a business excuse for being in the region.

If majority on the poll is an indicator it would seem that Mt. Rodgers has the clear lead. But when? There's the rub. Who / how / when is this decided ?

now I have to get to work on my Climashield lined coyote fur trimmed weather-shield shelled titanium wood-burning stove equipped RVIA approved hammock. And a suppose a pack to carry it.... :)

Grizz

Ewker
11-01-2007, 09:44
unfortunately it looks like it might be Mt Rogers..for those of us who don't want to go there I suggest going to Big South Fork or Red River Gorge.

neo
11-01-2007, 11:04
unfortunately it looks like it might be Mt Rogers..for those of us who don't want to go there I suggest going to Big South Fork or Red River Gorge.

i am think i will host my own winter backpack hangout at big south fork
for those wanting to go on an alternate winter hang:cool: neo

neo
11-01-2007, 11:05
i am think i will host my own winter backpack hangout at big south fork
for those wanting to go on an alternate winter hang:cool: neo

:D it will be fun:cool: neo

tnhillbilly
11-01-2007, 20:32
It's not that I don't want to go to Mt Rogers it's just too far away for me to make that trip at that time. Actually I would like to go to all the places listed and hope to at some point in the future. But I think I may be able to make the BSF area. tnhillbilly

Just Jeff
11-01-2007, 20:46
rstms - come along...I'm sure we can set you up. If you post what you have beforehand, we'll even help you figure out what you need. And even ground dwellers are welcome!

Doctari
11-02-2007, 06:20
SO, When are we going? And where?

Jan of 08 I'm avalable & vote for 1/3-7/08 & 1/24-28/08
Feb of 08 I'm avalable & vote for 2/14-18/08

If at RRG I can make almost any other weekend, at least for 2 of the days.

Doctari

Kanguru
11-02-2007, 18:42
rstms - come along...I'm sure we can set you up. If you post what you have beforehand, we'll even help you figure out what you need. And even ground dwellers are welcome!

Thanks. You guys are great. Currently have my zHammock. Just received my SG 9x9 tarp today and working on a combo under/over quilt like Mirage. Hope to get a test backyard night this weekend. Will certainly stay tuned for more as time gets closer. Should be ready unless it's REALLY COLD and then I can goto ground if need be.

Just Jeff
11-04-2007, 11:29
If you have a sleeping bag rated to those conditions, you should be ok...that big tarp with pads in the zHammock and a big sleeping bag should get you through just fine. Might be bulkier than you want if you bring the extra pads, but at least it'll be safe.

Add in the over/underquilt and you can probably use less thickness/bulk in pads and a thinner sleeping bag.

smithobx
11-05-2007, 11:32
Jeff, What area of Mt. Rodgers are you planning to use for the hang and what are the directions?

slowhike
11-05-2007, 15:27
Jeff, What area of Mt. Rodgers are you planning to use for the hang and what are the directions?

last year we used the wise shelter area.
if the group chooses mt rogers & chooses to use wise shelter (which is a great location in my opinion<g>), here's a description from last winter's planning of how to get to the shelter.

"i will lay out some basic info on getting to wise shelter. check & make sure i have it right.
hwy 58 in VA. will take you to the entrance to greyson highlands state park.http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/graysonh.htm
when you enter the park, it's all up hill & for a good ways.
1st you will come to the check-in booth which will be un-attended this time of year.
there's a fee for overnight parking & you'll find envelopes there to put your cash or check in. it has a tear-off to put on your mirror or dash w/ a number that matches the number on your payment envelope.
this just lets the rangers know that you paid the parking fee for that vehechcial. you don't have to put the info about arrival/departure date, & destination if you don't want.
i'll call to confirm the amount & if it's required this time of year, but i believe the cost is $3.00 per vehicle, per day.
that means $6 for a one night stay & $9 for a two night stay (per vehicle).
as you continue up the park road you will pass the enterance to the picknic area on the right. a little ways farther, you will turn into the paved road leading to the camp ground. these are easy to see because of the normal, brown park signs.
as soon as you turn onto the campground road, you will see the gravel parking area for overnight packpacking on the left, but unless you plan to hike in by a longer route, keep going on the camp ground road.
as you begin to enter the campground, you will see a small building (divided by a breezeway) on the right, w/ a sign that says "country store".
strait across, on the left, is the parking area that will get you closest to wise shelter.
last time i was there, they had a port-a-john in that little parking area, but i don't know if they leave those out all year or not.
at the back-side of the parking lot, you'll see a wide, gated, multi-use trail (like a forest service road) that you'll follow by foot.
there are a couple trails that go off of that trail, but the main trai is obvious & you just stay on that.
you will cross two creeks that are not deep but just wide enough that they could make it a challenge to keep your feet dry... depends on the water flow & if there is snow or ice on the rocks.
after 20-30 minutes, the AT will cross the trail/road that you have been walking.
take a left on the AT. you'll soon cross a creek on a wooden foot bridge (w/ hand rails) & a couple minutes later be at wise shelter.
the whole walk took me about 40 minutes."

if group plans land on mt rogers area, i'll give more details later.

smithobx
11-06-2007, 10:58
Thanks, Slowhike.

NCPatrick
11-06-2007, 15:50
MLK day is on Jan 21st. Is that the SORUCK(sp?) weekend?

My vote for our winter hangout is for the next weekend, Jan 24 - 27, umm - 2008.

jlb2012
11-06-2007, 15:58
Yes that is SORUCK weekend - see http://www.whiteblaze.net/soruck/ for details

headchange4u
11-20-2007, 18:53
I just wanted to bump this thread back into discussion.

The SORUCK is Jan 18,19, and 20. NCPatrick suggested Jan 24-27. I have to work that weekend but I could probably switch with somebody if that's the dates we pick, so no real problem there. If there are dates that would be better for others please feel free to suggest them.

We also need to decide on location. It has been noted that the Smokies may be out because of the limit on the number of people at a camp site. Maybe the poll needs to be reset or something and the Smokies eliminated as a choice and then we can re-vote.

slowhike
11-20-2007, 22:31
i could change the votes to zero but the names would probably stay & i don't know if it would allow people to vote again for the same place they had already voted for if that's what they wanted.
if every body agrees, we could just start another poll, unless jeff can reset this poll.

Frolicking Dino
11-20-2007, 23:00
And even ground dwellers are welcome!::: Dino peeks out from under down quilts with interest :::

slowhike
11-21-2007, 07:00
::: Dino peeks out from under down quilts with interest :::

it would be great if you could be w/ us my friend!

slowhike
11-21-2007, 21:34
i believe headchange & others are right in that we could run into complications trying to use the smokies for the winter hangout group.

as far as i can gather, there's no way to reset this poll so that everyone can reenter their vote.
the next best thing would be to start another poll. i don't know if we can do that on this thread or not. i'll check w/ jeff.
but that's a decision for you guys (& gals) to make<g>.

headchange4u
11-21-2007, 21:37
Besides the BSF is pretty close to the Smokies; same general area. Check with Jeff on resetting the poll. If it's not feasible I will start another poll and include dates to vote on as well.

Any other suggestions for dates of the hang out?

Just Jeff
11-22-2007, 09:06
I saw a way to edit the poll but I didn't see how to erase everyone's existing votes...not sure if it'll let you vote again or not. Best bet is probably to start another poll and link to it from this thread.

headchange4u
12-17-2007, 11:18
I edited the first post (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=33103&postcount=1) to reflect the location and dates of the Winter hang out. Includes dates and directions to the parking, trail, and shelter.

There is also a list of items for the Saturday hot dog dinner. If you want to volunteer to bring something I will note it on the list.

NCPatrick
12-17-2007, 11:31
I'll bring some chocolate chip cookies...

slowhike
12-17-2007, 17:03
I'll bring some chocolate chip cookies...

are we going to do hot dogs sat eve?
i'm hoping that HOI will be there w/ those bratwurst sausages again!!!;)

headchange4u
12-17-2007, 17:18
are we going to do hot dogs sat eve?
i'm hoping that HOI will be there w/ those bratwurst sausages again!!!;)

Yep. There is a list of who bringing what at the end of the first post.

Sausages? I must have missed those. Dang it.

slowhike
12-17-2007, 17:32

yep... were you one of the day hikers? it could have been then that HOI broke out the sausage:D :o

you can put me down for buns.

Ashman
12-17-2007, 19:52
Is there an intended date for this hang yet?

slowhike
12-17-2007, 20:05
January 25-27
see the 1st post in this thread for more info... & there will be more details (as in directions) to come.

headchange4u
12-17-2007, 20:37
yep... were you one of the day hikers? it could have been then that HOI broke out the sausage:D :o

you can put me down for buns.

Yeah,

Blackbishop, Doctari, Top, and I went for a day hike.

slowhike
12-17-2007, 20:44
Yeah,

Blackbishop, Doctari, Top, and I went for a day hike.

if HOI or someone else brings sausage, we'll be sure you don't get left out this time:o

Kanguru
12-19-2007, 17:32
I am planning to come for Saturday night but won't be sure until pretty close. Rather than commit to bringing something for the hot dog supper then having to bail, would it be possible to contribute some money when there? Maybe could help support the forum if those who brought items did not want to divide the money???

slowhike
12-19-2007, 17:48
I am planning to come for Saturday night but won't be sure until pretty close. Rather than commit to bringing something for the hot dog supper then having to bail, would it be possible to contribute some money when there? Maybe could help support the forum if those who brought items did not want to divide the money???

that should be no prob what so ever. just come on & join us if you can.

GrizzlyAdams
12-19-2007, 17:50

tell you what...I'll bring the cylindrical encasings of animal by-products*...and I'll be going on any day-hike that's in the offing...so you won't miss out this time.

Grizz

*translation : I'll bring sausage, bratwurst if I can find it. I'll be coming directly from Blacksburg I think, which approximates civilization and ought to have a good grocery store somewhere.

mixinmaster
12-30-2007, 20:08
Don't know what thread to post this in, but I'll assume here. I'll bring paper towels or napkins. If nobody else has elected to.

slowhike
12-30-2007, 20:12
Don't know what thread to post this in, but I'll assume here. I'll bring paper towels or napkins. If nobody else has elected to.

yep, HC4U will add you to the list on the 1st post.
glad you can make it.

Dutch
12-30-2007, 20:37
I don't know what I will be bringing but I promise it will be good. I should be getting there Friday evening and leaving early Sunday. If anyone is looking at the same schedule I can offer a ride coming down 81 from southern PA. Does anyone know the approximate head count? It probably is too early to tell.

blackedoutcoupe
12-31-2007, 05:52
well i gues i could bring the chips....and maybe water gate sald .

Just Jeff
12-31-2007, 07:37
I'll bring the water.

J/K - I'll figure something out to bring if I can make it.

slowhike
12-31-2007, 16:42
I'll bring the water.

you'll need to bring enough for everyone:D

skippy
01-02-2008, 18:34
Just wanted to know if the hangout is still scheduled for Mt Rogers in Jan.Been a member on HF since oct. and have really enjoyed the site.I've been hanging for 2 years with just my thermarest and sleeping bag and would really like to see some of you guy's cold weather setups and learn a thing or to.Will be leaving the Birmingham area Friday morning sometime so if anyone from Bama would like to go maybe we could meet up somewhere and ride together

headchange4u
01-02-2008, 18:36
Just wanted to know if the hangout is still scheduled for Mt Rogers in Jan.Been a member on HF since oct. and have really enjoyed the site.I've been hanging for 2 years with just my thermarest and sleeping bag and would really like to see some of you guy's cold weather setups and learn a thing or to.Will be leaving the Birmingham area Friday morning sometime so if anyone from Bama would like to go maybe we could meet up somewhere and ride together

Still on. See post #1 (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=33103&postcount=1) for details.

jlb2012
01-02-2008, 19:42
isn't Cuffs from B'ham area? I'm not sure we could get her up here but that is one possibility

jeffjenn
01-03-2008, 03:41
Is there an actual list of those that are "for sure" going to be there? Just interested to know how many.

slowhike
01-03-2008, 05:52
Is there an actual list of those that are "for sure" going to be there? Just interested to know how many.

no, the poll is just to show favor for a certain location & date.
now that those have been established maybe we could get a better idea who thinks they will be there.

NCPatrick
01-07-2008, 13:09
Ok. Getting psyched up for this! It WOULD be good to get a new list of folks who are going...

GrizzlyAdams
01-07-2008, 13:47
Ok. Getting psyched up for this! It WOULD be good to get a new list of folks who are going...

new poll ?

I'm coming.

headchange4u
01-07-2008, 14:06
Unfortunately it looks like I'm not going to able to make this one. I have to work that weekend and it looks like I'm not going to be able to get anyone to cover for me.

NCPatrick
01-07-2008, 14:12
We can come down there and kidnap you. Then you'd have a reason to be away... I'm sorry you can't make it. I hope you can find a way still though.

Peter_pan
01-07-2008, 15:49
OK.... looks like some of y'all need incentive.....

JRB has found another set of the elusive, rare, long out of production, no longer available Python Skins.... SOOOOO.... the Winter Hang Out Raffle is a go...

Here is the deal.... 100% of the proceeds go to WB/HF....Attroll will likely put the HF banner on the rotating advertsing of WB because of this donation.... So it is win, win ,win...

Ticket donations are $10 a ticket..... Tickets will only be available at the Mt. Roger's Winter Hang Out.... The drawing will be after dinner/cookout on Saturday night.... You don't have to be present to win, but you do have to have a buddy you trust there holding your tickets and collecting your prize(s) :rolleyes: ....You can buy as many tickets as you like.:) These are great odds...just as last years winners. :D

Prizes include:
1 JRB 8x8 Tarp
2 JRB Compession Sacks
1 JRB Compression Sack Large
1 JRB JGH/PC Large B.Orange
3 Pr JRB Micro Biners
3 Pr JRB STL
2 JRB Suspension Systems
1 JRB Quilt TBD
And the extremely rare, virtually extinct set of Python Skins

Prizes are donated by Jacks 'R' Better.

And as always, there will be some new JRB prototype items on display.

See y'all on the 25th.

Pan

headchange4u
01-07-2008, 16:15
The way I racked up on the JRB raffle last year, it's probably a good thing I'm not going to be there. Give others a chance to to get something.:D :p

If I manage to get a JRB Tarp Tent by then I may have to call in "sick".:eek:

skippy
01-07-2008, 17:59
If anybody is making a list you can add my name,and I will bring some chili for the hotdogs if nobody's signed up for it?

headchange4u
01-07-2008, 18:40
If anybody is making a list you can add my name,and I will bring some chili for the hotdogs if nobody's signed up for it?

I added you to the list at the bottom of the first post. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=33103&postcount=1)

I also took my name off the list for paper plates.

Kanguru
01-07-2008, 18:42
I'm planning to be there...especially with the big JRB raffle.

Will bring condiments. Ketchup, mustard, relish. Should 1 medium size container of each be enough for the typical turnout?

Only reason I won't make it is if the weather is really crazy, like snow or ice. I don't have 4x4. May have to go to ground if really cold.

Dutch
01-07-2008, 18:46
Count me in as going and will bring the paper plates and something else. I'm very excited.

NCPatrick
01-07-2008, 20:01
May have to go to ground if really cold.

Sacrilege! We will most likely have enough extra stuff to keep you afloat and warm.

Kanguru
01-08-2008, 08:21
Sacrilege! We will most likely have enough extra stuff to keep you afloat and warm.

Afloat is not the problem. Warm on the other hand... At least I'll fanally get to meet some of you.

Kanguru
01-08-2008, 09:28
By the way...I will probably only be there for Saturday night, so the stuff I signed up to bring will be there in time for dinner.
Thanks

Peter_pan
01-08-2008, 22:54
I'm planning to be there...especially with the big JRB raffle.

Will bring condiments. Ketchup, mustard, relish. Should 1 medium size container of each be enough for the typical turnout?

Only reason I won't make it is if the weather is really crazy, like snow or ice. I don't have 4x4. May have to go to ground if really cold.

We are going to learn, grow, and hang together....and beat the adversities.... Please erase all thought of going to ground and not going at all from these discussions....start testing before you come and bring extra stuff if necessary.... the hike in is only a mile....

Like last year it may be prudendt to have a more accessable plan B location....Any suggestions....There is a row of pine trees behind the troutdale/daleville Econo :D :D Any other thoughts?

Pan

Kanguru
01-09-2008, 02:44
We are going to learn, grow, and hang together....and beat the adversities.... Please erase all thought of going to ground and not going at all from these discussions....start testing before you come and bring extra stuff if necessary.... the hike in is only a mile....

Like last year it may be prudendt to have a more accessable plan B location....Any suggestions....There is a row of pine trees behind the troutdale/daleville Econo :D :D Any other thoughts?

Pan

Thanks for the positive reply. I started hanging as a way of avoiding the hassle of finding the flattest place to put my groundsheet. So far have only tested at home down to high 30's. For me it's not a bad thing to sleep on the ground, just much more versatility hanging. Using a thermarest and winter bag in the hammock is not much more comfortable to me than a flat piece of real estate. I don't camp enough to justify the expense of major winter hanging gear. But, enough...I'm getting way off topic. The way things have been lately with the weather, all will probably be good.:D

slowhike
01-09-2008, 13:05

Pan

i called & talked w/ a ranger for that area to get an idea about hwy 603 that runs east & west from troutdale, north of Greyson Highlands State Park.

that road is a much lower elevation around (3800ft) & is kept scraped because it is a well used road.
but it is often still icy.

they don't scrape the parking areas at the trail heads though. and none of those parking areas are very big (i would guess 8-10 cars???).

just a few thoughts. it's still to early to have any idea how the weather will be. right now it looks fine.
hopefully plan A will work out, but we can still give some thought to a plan B... just in case. that way there wont be any need for scrambling if the weather takes a nasty turn<G>.

blackedoutcoupe
01-13-2008, 18:12
if it gets to bad the out of town people r more than welcome to crash at my house .........oh anybody want marshmallows i was thinking about bringing some

Peter_pan
01-17-2008, 14:32
OK.... looks like some of y'all need incentive.....

JRB has found another set of the elusive, rare, long out of production, no longer available Python Skins.... SOOOOO.... the Winter Hang Out Raffle is a go...

Here is the deal.... 100% of the proceeds go to WB/HF....Attroll will likely put the HF banner on the rotating advertsing of WB because of this donation.... So it is win, win ,win...

Ticket donations are $10 a ticket..... Tickets will only be available at the Mt. Roger's Winter Hang Out.... The drawing will be after dinner/cookout on Saturday night.... You don't have to be present to win, but you do have to have a buddy you trust there holding your tickets and collecting your prize(s) :rolleyes: ....You can buy as many tickets as you like.:) These are great odds...just as last years winners. :D

Prizes include:
1 JRB 8x8 Tarp
2 JRB Compession Sacks
1 JRB Compression Sack Large
1 JRB JGH/PC Large B.Orange
3 Pr JRB Micro Biners
3 Pr JRB STL
2 JRB Suspension Systems
1 JRB Quilt TBD
And the extremely rare, virtually extinct set of Python Skins

Prizes are donated by Jacks 'R' Better.

And as always, there will be some new JRB prototype items on display.

See y'all on the 25th.

Pan

Prize list update....

We have upped the ante this year...The "TBD" quilt will be the top selling....JRB No Sniveller.

Further, there will be one of the original model JRB Weather Shield bottoms... It was a demo, but it is pristine.

Remember, 100 % of the proceeds go to WB and HF support. There is no limit to the number of tickets that you can buy.... Just that you or your buddy must be present at Wise Shelter on Saturday to purchase the tickets and be present at the raffle to claim the prizes.... We don't want to schlep them out, too.... Last year this raffle raised $220 for the sites... That was 1 in 22 odds for some 16 total prizes..... Let's all plan to play and really make this a win- win all around and send a nicer check to Attroll for sites support... Please bring 10s and 20s as rolls of quarters are heavy.... purchase as many tickets as you like.... increase your odds...be a winner.

Pan

slowhike
01-17-2008, 15:49
Prize list update....

We have upped the ante this year...The "TBD" quilt will be the top selling....JRB No Sniveller.
Pan

the ol no sniveller huh? sounds good!

headchange4u
01-17-2008, 18:26
That's a heck of a grand prise. Makes me sorry I wont be there to put my name in the hat.

Tobit
01-17-2008, 19:11
I know I'm jealous.

- JT

slowhike
01-17-2008, 19:50
just a thought... i picked up a pump spray bottle of ReviveX spray on water repellent for outer wear (by McNett), so i can wash & treat my rain gear.
not a bad idea to recheck all your gear (including foot wear) well before going on a cold weather hammocking trip.
all those things work together to help make your hammock adventures GREAT!!!
if you wait until the last minute, part of it wont get done... i know from experience:rolleyes:

Dutch
01-17-2008, 20:54

Now how do I discourage everyone else from coming to increase my chances....hmmm

Did everyone know that wild ponies have chewed through support ropes of hammocks at the Wise shelter?

Isn't there going to be a American Idol marathon on TV that weekend?

There are no trees at the Wise shelter.

I feel gassy, very gassy

Isn't Mt Rogers the sight of an ancient Indian burial ground.

Isn't that where they filmed deliverance? And aren't they are fond of Illinois Professors.

In advance of the Virginia primaries all the candidates will be giving their stump speeches at the hangout.

The acid rain of Virginia eats though sil nylon.

Maybe I'll just stick with the no parking at Mt Rogers because of construction gag that was played earlier.

slowhike
01-17-2008, 23:11
Now how do I discourage everyone else from coming to increase my chances....hmmm
In advance of the Virginia primaries all the candidates will be giving their stump speeches at the hangout.

man... that's the worst one of all:eek: i can deal w/ the rest:rolleyes:

slowhike
01-17-2008, 23:40
hey Pan... is Top going to make it to wise shelter this year?

Peter_pan
01-18-2008, 07:43
hey Pan... is Top going to make it to wise shelter this year?

Slowhike,

Naw.... his wife drug him off to Florida .

You coming in Friday nite?.... We plan on getting there about 1600 hours.

Pan

NCPatrick
01-18-2008, 09:42
I found out I will be able to come Friday as well, so Slowhike and I will carpool. If he can get out earlier than 1600 we'll leave earlier, but it looks like the earliest he can get out of work is 1600. I'll let him speak for himself though... ;)

Kanguru
01-18-2008, 11:43
I found out I will be able to come Friday as well, so Slowhike and I will carpool. If he can get out earlier than 1600 we'll leave earlier, but it looks like the earliest he can get out of work is 1600. I'll let him speak for himself though... ;)

Glad you will be able to make it after all!

NCPatrick
01-18-2008, 12:51
Yes, I didn't want to miss any of it. I'm glad it worked out that I could go.

blackedoutcoupe
01-18-2008, 13:30
one more week ............i will be there early fri. i guess i only live about 45 mins from mt rogers..............safe driving everyone

blackedoutcoupe
01-18-2008, 17:52
well they give 46 for a high friday and a low of 26 nothing on sat yet man i hope i stay warm this will be my first winter hang in my hammock.

slowhike
01-18-2008, 18:56
well they give 46 for a high friday and a low of 26 nothing on sat yet man i hope i stay warm this will be my first winter hang in my hammock.

what are you planning to use top & bottom to stay warm in your hammock?

blackedoutcoupe
01-18-2008, 20:25
well first im gonna lay down my pad then a grivel sleeping bag and then im gonna lug my 12lb ECW military bag in and i also have a fleece sleeping bag liner i got at wally world for 10 bucks ......and proper clothing..........the ECW should keep me warm with nothing else from stories ive been told by soldeirs..........what about firewood

Smee
01-18-2008, 21:58
Accu Weather Forcast for Damascus (it'll be colder up on the mountain).

Friday, Jan 25
High: 33 °F RealFeel®: 36 °F
Mostly cloudy and cold

Friday Night, Jan 25
Low: 20 °F RealFeel®: 28 °F
Mostly cloudy

Saturday, Jan 26
High: 33 °F RealFeel®: 34 °F
Cold with times of clouds and sun

Saturday Night, Jan 26
Low: 17 °F RealFeel®: 12 °F
Partly cloudy and cold

Sunday, Jan 27
High: 39 °F RealFeel®: 29 °F
Partly sunny

Regards,

slowhike
01-18-2008, 23:43
yep, it'll be colder up on the mountain.
this weekend i think we're going to get our coldest temps yet this year.
turk is sending us a cold blast of air down from Canada<g>

slowhike
01-18-2008, 23:55
well first im gonna lay down my pad then a grivel sleeping bag and then im gonna lug my 12lb ECW military bag in and i also have a fleece sleeping bag liner i got at wally world for 10 bucks ......and proper clothing..........the ECW should keep me warm with nothing else from stories ive been told by soldeirs..........what about firewood

i'm not familiar w/ all those particular bags but it sounds like they should be workable.
if you want, we may be able to rig one of the bags on the underside of your hammock to serve as an under quilt.
i googled "grivel sleeping bag" & saw your post about it on white blaze. between that & the heavy military bag & your clothing, you should do fine.
hopefully you'll like it enough that you'll want to invest in a lighter set up by next winter.

fire wood will probably be scarce just around the shelter area, but if several of us walk a short ways up into the woods, we can drag back plenty, no problem.

blackedoutcoupe
01-19-2008, 11:44
well i was gonna convert it over to an underquilt i need a sewing machine ......grivel make some really good ice picks crampons just ice climbing gear really yet i have not sen any sleeping bags yeah i think i will do fine i dont get cold easy .

Kanguru
01-20-2008, 18:14
Here's the latest from NWS. This was from picking a place on the map as best I could where the shelter is...

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 33.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.

Saturday: A chance of snow or rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 27. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Sunday: A chance of snow or rain. Cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

blackedoutcoupe
01-20-2008, 18:19
wow sucky weather man that sucks im keeping an eye on it cuz im just about 25 miles from it

slowhike
01-20-2008, 19:38
i like this one better:)
http://www.accuweather.com/forecast2.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&zipcode=24378&metric=0

Kanguru
01-20-2008, 20:51
I really don't trust any of the forecasts, even NWS, until a day or two before.

slowhike
01-20-2008, 21:32
I really don't trust any of the forecasts, even NWS, until a day or two before.

yeah, i agree. even w/ the understanding they have & the records to see, they are just making an educated guess about what those systems are going to do.
i'm like you, the closer the forecast to the event, the better chance they have at getting it right... or close<g>.

Coffee
01-21-2008, 11:21
Glad to see the cold was up there for you guys too. My thermometer reached it's min temp of 9.7 deg in the Gooch Mountain Shelter in GA 2 nights ago on my last night out. Hopefully next year I can make it.

Coffee
01-21-2008, 11:43
Yeah so I need to learn how to read a calender. I was thinking the campout was last weekend and not this coming weekend. I will try and make it but it is too early to tell for sure.

Just Jeff
01-21-2008, 13:27
Hope to see you, Nate! I'm still planning on going, but with traveling this week I gotta see what work has for me when I get back.

I'd rather have sub-30/snow than mid-30s/rain. Man, 37 and raining is no fun!

mixinmaster
01-21-2008, 13:58

Boy, isn't that the truth....... And can make for some nasty road conditions as it dips back down below freezing......

Coffee
01-21-2008, 14:01
Hope to see you, Nate! I'm still planning on going, but with traveling this week I gotta see what work has for me when I get back.

If it is 30's and raining I will be doing my usual sipping on sweat tea (the container the sipping beverage was repackaged in) in the shelter zero day.

slowhike
01-21-2008, 16:40
Yeah so I need to learn how to read a calender. I was thinking the campout was last weekend and not this coming weekend. I will try and make it but it is too early to tell for sure.

see what happens after living on the trail all those months:rolleyes:
i hope you can make it.

Coffee
01-21-2008, 16:56
see what happens after living on the trail all those months:rolleyes:
i hope you can make it.

Yeah I hardely ever knew what day it was. A lot of my register entries had the wrong date. Plus I noticed you use places as references to time. Saying the city or place you were at instead of 5 days ago or 2 weeks ago.

blackedoutcoupe
01-21-2008, 19:36
well the weather chn. just gave a low of 18 and a high around 30 for fri. and sat is a low of 30 and a high of 40 starting to look good for sat..........only bad news for me ive gotten pretty sick and having to miss work due to strep throat im so miserable right now hopefully il get to feeling better

slowhike
01-21-2008, 19:40
well the weather chn. just gave a low of 18 and a high around 30 for fri. and sat is a low of 30 and a high of 40 starting to look good for sat..........only bad news for me ive gotten pretty sick and having to miss work due to strep throat im so miserable right now hopefully il get to feeling better

sorry to hear that. there's a lot of people getting sick this winter.
take care & maybe you can still make it.

hey Pan & Smee... is Top going to make it this year?

Peter_pan
01-22-2008, 19:35
sorry to hear that. there's a lot of people getting sick this winter.
take care & maybe you can still make it.

hey Pan & Smee... is Top going to make it this year?

Slowhike,

Naw.... He is wimped out in some condo in Florida...

Pan

Marta
01-22-2008, 20:21
I'm hoping the be there, driving up Saturday. If the roads are too icy, I won't make the drive. My son, Ben, may be with me. (He's living in Louisiana now. Some of you may remember him from one of the weekends in Hot Springs.) He has an ENO hammock now that he's used some in LA and TX. VA in the winter will be a bit of a challenge for him.

Marta

slowhike
01-22-2008, 22:24
I'm hoping the be there, driving up Saturday. If the roads are too icy, I won't make the drive. My son, Ben, may be with me. (He's living in Louisiana now. Some of you may remember him from one of the weekends in Hot Springs.) He has an ENO hammock now that he's used some in LA and TX. VA in the winter will be a bit of a challenge for him.

Marta

that's great. i remember Ben from the hot springs campout.
i'm sure you'll have him well equipped.
i hope yall will make it.

Kanguru
01-23-2008, 10:13
This thread seems strangely quiet with the start of the event only 2 days away. Here's the latest NWS forecast...looks maybe a little dryer that the earlier one. Looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing all the great DIY gear, maybe Friday or Saturday for sure.

Friday...Sunny. Not as cool with highs in the upper 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph in the morning...becoming light and variable. Wind chill values as low as 2 below in the morning.

Friday Night...Partly cloudy in the evening...then becoming mostly cloudy. Cold with lows around 20.

Saturday...Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 40s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Saturday Night...Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain in the evening. Lows in the upper 20s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Sunday And Sunday Night...Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 40s. Lows in the lower 30s.

slowhike
01-23-2008, 10:21
yeah, i was just getting ready to post here myself<g>.
hopefully we can avoid much in the way of cold rain.
i was just wondering about getting an update on how many plan to be there so i will know how many buns to bring.
at least a couple or more have had to cancel out so i & others may need to take care of a few items that they were going to be bringing.

slowhike
01-23-2008, 10:25
here's the poll that i believe has the last poll on who was hoping to go.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=32
it may be a little late but we could do another poll to see what peoples plans are now.

Coffee
01-23-2008, 10:48
This thread seems strangely quiet with the start of the event only 2 days away. Here's the latest NWS forecast...looks maybe a little dryer that the earlier one. Looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing all the great DIY gear, maybe Friday or Saturday for sure.

Friday...Sunny. Not as cool with highs in the upper 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph in the morning...becoming light and variable. Wind chill values as low as 2 below in the morning.

Friday Night...Partly cloudy in the evening...then becoming mostly cloudy. Cold with lows around 20.

Saturday...Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 40s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Saturday Night...Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain in the evening. Lows in the upper 20s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Sunday And Sunday Night...Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 40s. Lows in the lower 30s.

I would plan on rain at some or all of Saturday. Unless my luck changes anytime I saw a chance of rain I saw something. You guys can blame me later for bringing my bad weather mojo later.:p

If that is for Damascus I would plan on it being 10-20 degrees colder 3K or 4K feet higher at Wise.

slowhike
01-23-2008, 11:00
yeah, if that weather forecast is for one of the near by communities, wise shelter will be roughly 1000' higher in elevation.

Tobit
01-23-2008, 11:08
You guys are gonna have a blast, I'm jealous. :D

- JT

slowhike
01-23-2008, 11:16
You guys are gonna have a blast, I'm jealous. :D

- JT

i'm looking forward to it. to bad we are so spread out.

Coffee
01-23-2008, 15:22
Bump.

Do I need to bring anything? I would offer to bring stuff for smores, but that didn't work out very well last year.

headchange4u
01-23-2008, 15:35
Bump.

Do I need to bring anything? I would offer to bring stuff for smores, but that didn't work out very well last year.

You (and everyone that will be attending) can check the list in this post (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=33103&postcount=1) at the bottom of the page. If anyone wants to add to or remove their name from the list or change what they will be bringing, let me know and I will make the changes.

Coffee
01-23-2008, 16:25
Thanks. I'll see what everyone else brings, then come up with something.