PDA

View Full Version : Will I need an UQ at 55 deg.

Backtrack
08-30-2010, 07:13
Hey! I'm very new to the hammock camping. I want to take it on a trip this weekend but it may be chilly. It will get down to 55 at night and all I have right now is a prolite 4 Thermarest and sleeping bag. I'm a medium temp sleeper, will this work or will I need to borrow a UQ? Thanks for your help!

NCPatrick
08-30-2010, 07:16
Howdy Backtrack!

If I were in your shoes, I would need an UQ at 55F. I think most folks feel a bit cool on the backside starting around 70F, give or take 5 degrees or so... I'm a cold sleeper, so it starts feeling cool earlier for me.

just my .02

Just Jeff
08-30-2010, 07:18
You need something under you at 55F. The ThermaRest will work, though you'll be right on the line of cold shoulders. Still worth testing out, IMO - enjoy your trip!

Backtrack
08-30-2010, 08:11
Ok, Thanks for the help!

eflat7
08-30-2010, 09:03
I wouldn't go under 60 without an UQ either. Just my .02 cents. Even with a pad, you will probably get cold with that thing slipping and sliding. I sleep cold, and anything under 55 I will also take a hammock sock.

I'm going out this weekend and can't wait for the cooler weather!

Backtrack
08-30-2010, 11:14
Yep. I heard that the pad likes to move alot and I think that would get on my nerves all night. We are going to do the Roan Mt. section of the AT so the weather might get colder at higher elevations. I hate to say it but I might have to take the tent until I get my hands on a UQ. I would love to make one, but it wont happen this week.

Hope you have a great trip. We are keeping an eye on Hurricane Earl!

BillyBob58
08-30-2010, 11:20
Yep. I heard that the pad likes to move alot and I think that would get on my nerves all night. We are going to do the Roan Mt. section of the AT so the weather might get colder at higher elevations. I hate to say it but I might have to take the tent until I get my hands on a UQ. I would love to make one, but it wont happen this week.

Hope you have a great trip. We are keeping an eye on Hurricane Earl!

No need to use the tent and go to ground!

Don't you have the double layer BB? The pad should stay where you put it. You might have to experiment a bit with how you place it in the hammock, but then it should stay put once you lay on it. If it is a 20" wide model, you might want to take a strip or 2 of CCF, like cut off of a WM blue pad, to place in spots that are off of the pad, like maybe a shoulder. Or you can slip a fleece jacket into trouble spots. But at those temps, I doubt that will be much of a problem.

Using a Speer SPE, with WM blue pad strips in the wings and a Thermarest full length Ridgerest with a TR Ultralight short inflatable ( 1" thick?) stacked, I slept toasty warm a bit below 20 once. And there was no trouble staying on the pads, and no condensation. An UQ has it's advantages and I will usualy go that route. But that SPE and pad set up serves dual purpose ( all set for ground sleeping or sit pad) and bombproof insulation in the hammock. And of course, cheap plus most folks already have it.

But a pad in a single layer hammock and without an SPE can be a whole different ball game, and no fun for most folks.

NCPatrick
08-30-2010, 11:20
I have a synthetic (Climashield) UQ (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2176) you could borrow. It's good down to around 40F, ymmv.

Backtrack
08-30-2010, 20:11
I have a synthetic (Climashield) UQ (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2176) you could borrow. It's good down to around 40F, ymmv.

Thanks for the offer! If all else fails I will send you a message! My aunt has some 1.1 ripstop and 800 down at her quilt shop. I might snag that and rig me up somthing quick. Just trying to figure out the baffle thing. Thanks again!

NCPatrick
08-30-2010, 20:26
Quilt shop, eh? You've got it made diy-wise. :) Just let me know if you need anything. Pics of your quilt too when you finish it.

Trooper
08-30-2010, 20:30
I'll echo Jeff and Billy. You don't need an underquilt, but you will need something. Your WBBB with a double layer is quite adept at utilizing pads. The Prolite and a cheap blue pad will likely be adequate for you.

TinaLouise
08-31-2010, 07:39
I was toasty warm on a pad in my hammock down to just below freezing. I just had to deal with shifting of the pad and cold arms when I touched the sides of the hammock. My hammock is more narrow and you've got a pocket to put the pad in so you should be just fine with what you've got. I ended up putting extra clothes under my arms and that worked out just fine. I now use an UQ and I like it much better. But until I made it, I used the pad. Use what you've got until you've got the time to get an UQ made for you. And please, don't even think of having to go to ground... that's sort of taboo around here and the thought of it tends to give me nightmares.
TinaLouise

Backtrack
08-31-2010, 08:26
I was toasty warm on a pad in my hammock down to just below freezing. I just had to deal with shifting of the pad and cold arms when I touched the sides of the hammock. My hammock is more narrow and you've got a pocket to put the pad in so you should be just fine with what you've got. I ended up putting extra clothes under my arms and that worked out just fine. I now use an UQ and I like it much better. But until I made it, I used the pad. Use what you've got until you've got the time to get an UQ made for you. And please, don't even think of having to go to ground... that's sort of taboo around here and the thought of it tends to give me nightmares.
TinaLouise

Ok! I promise I will never say the tent word again... Thanks for the info!

RootCause
08-31-2010, 09:07
I will also chime in and say you should be just fine with a Thermarest down to the mid-50's. I've taken my Thermarest to the upper 30's, with a 30* sleeping bag. (Wearing fleece, with a poncho liner....) But- don't think you need an UQ, slip that pad between the layers of your Blackbird if you can't get to the quilt shop in time! :cool:

Buffalo Skipper
09-08-2010, 15:39
Backtrack, any word from your trip? I'd like to hear how it went....

Backtrack
09-08-2010, 16:52
Backtrack, any word from your trip? I'd like to hear how it went....

The trip went well, thanks for asking. It was a hard section of the AT but we followed through. My first time sleeping in a hammock was gear changing. It will be hard for me to hit the ground again. My good friend let me borrow a Yeti UQ and it worked well. The low temp on Sat. was more like 46F. Glad I had an UQ! Ready to hit the trail soon.......

ShroominDave
09-08-2010, 19:07
Has anyone tried using a modified Wiggy's bag for a UQ? It seems everyone wants to use down but that stuff loses loft so fast and it does not take well to storing under compression, and pray you don't get it wet. Just a thought as I have a 0 degree Wiggy's bag that keeps me toasty warm when sleeping on a mat on the ground. Don't know how effective it would be as an UQ but I have had horrible experiences with down it the past and swore I would never use the stuff again.

lattie11581
09-09-2010, 23:25
I recently changed after finding this forum. After I woke up in the Adirondacks all wet on a pad I cut up an old sleeping bag (synthetic north face 20*) and made a UQ. I also used the bags zipper for top entry in my HH Eped Asym. It works great but a little heavier than down but didn't cost me anything.:D

lattie11581
09-09-2010, 23:32
Has anyone tried using a modified Wiggy's bag for a UQ? It seems everyone wants to use down but that stuff loses loft so fast and it does not take well to storing under compression, and pray you don't get it wet. Just a thought as I have a 0 degree Wiggy's bag that keeps me toasty warm when sleeping on a mat on the ground. Don't know how effective it would be as an UQ but I have had horrible experiences with down it the past and swore I would never use the stuff again.

My 20* north face UQ (old sleeping bag with polar gaurd 3d) has treated me well into the teens. Had and inch of ice in The cook pot in the morning.. 1st week in april on oswegotchie river in Adirondacks. On top used a big Agnes 30*. I am a very warm sleeper though