PDA

View Full Version : Question about HH Insulation Systems

jeepjeepwhat
08-31-2010, 10:25
I was researching the Henness Hammocks undercover systems. I noticed they said it does not work with a closed cell foam pad. What is the ressoning behind this? The videos show them using their open pad system, but why couldn't I use a third party closed cell foam pad instead of an open cell foam pad.

http://hennessyhammock.com/specs_undercoverandunerpad_small.html

Thanks in advance.

MacEntyre
08-31-2010, 10:34
The HH SS OCF Pad is open cell, and therefore it can be cut and sewn like a sail, to have a belly in it... so it fits. It's the fit that makes the simple HH SS so effective. Tough to do that with closed cell foam.

You can try a CCF pad inside the hammock, and it will keep you warm, but you probably won't like it much.

- MacEntyre

BillyBob58
08-31-2010, 12:31
I was researching the Henness Hammocks undercover systems. I noticed they said it does not work with a closed cell foam pad. What is the ressoning behind this? The videos show them using their open pad system, but why couldn't I use a third party closed cell foam pad instead of an open cell foam pad.

http://hennessyhammock.com/specs_undercoverandunerpad_small.html

Thanks in advance.

The HH SS OCF Pad is open cell, and therefore it can be cut and sewn like a sail, to have a belly in it... so it fits. It's the fit that makes the simple HH SS so effective. Tough to do that with closed cell foam.

You can try a CCF pad inside the hammock, and it will keep you warm, but you probably won't like it much.

- MacEntyre

Don't know if you had looked at their Deep Jungle system which also came with a pad, which is reflective and I guess also CCF, but not OCF like the SS. The DJ is a double layer hammock ( with pad pocket) and it will work with other CCF pads.

Unlike the SS with it's formed OCF pad, which the UC snugs up nicely against, keeping breezes and rain out. So like MacEntyre said, the UC will hold a small part of a pad up against you, but it won't curve around your body like the HH OCF formed pad does so sweetly. But, I have to admit that I have put light, narrow ccf pads underneath the OCF pad, and I'm pretty certain I got a noticeable warmth boost.

However, another problem with a pad is it might be too heavy, and cause the UC to sag, so that the pad is not even in good contact with your body at any point. So clothing or down or other lightweight products, that can be shaped to your body, work best under the HH pad and on top of the Sil-nylon UC. But you might want to try some ccf pad-in-the-UC experiments when you have a safe, easy bail out option. Especially if in addition to the HH pad or other insulation.