PDA

View Full Version : Arvis - Help!!!

Arvis
08-31-2010, 21:00
Now that the nights are getting cooler, I need to make a decision on an UQ. It seems the more I read the more 'fused I get... had I done my job in IBM with this much indecision, I surely would have been fired... not retired!!!
I have an ENO DN and am pretty sure that I want a full UQ, and since weigth is an important consideration, I am thinking a down UQ. Also, concerned about space required in the backpack.
Is there one that is more compatible with the ENO than the others?
I will appreciate suggestions / recommendations / thoughts... I will seldom camp at less that 20 degrees.
Thanks!!!!

Hooch
08-31-2010, 21:06
Lots of good UQ choices out there. As a former ENO hammocker, I can definitively say that you'll be hard pressed to find an UQ that won't work well with an ENO DoubleNest. Check out Jacks r Better, Te-Wa, Hammock Gear, etc. You really can't go wrong.

As far as synthetic-vs-down, if you want something that will compress to a smaller space in your pack, go with down.

Arvis
08-31-2010, 21:08
Lots of good UQ choices out there. As a former ENO hammocker, I can definitively say that you'll be hard pressed to find an UQ that won't work well with an ENO DoubleNest. Check out Jacks r Better, Te-Wa, Hammock Gear, etc. You really can't go wrong.

As far as synthetic-vs-down, if you want something that will compress to a smaller space in your pack, go with down.

Thanks, Hooch... that is comforting to a Newbie!!!!

Hooch
08-31-2010, 21:09
Thanks, Hooch... that is comforting to a Newbie!!!!Anytime, buddy. :thumbup:

Knotty
08-31-2010, 21:31
Hooch speaks truth. If you want to keep things small you should definitely choose down over synthetic. You retired from IBM...you can afford it. ;)

glassymountain
08-31-2010, 21:37
I have an ENO Double Nest and use the Jacks R Better No Sniveler as an underquilt. It fits wonderfully and packs down very small.

Arvis
08-31-2010, 21:39
Hooch speaks truth. If you want to keep things small you should definitely choose down over synthetic. You retired from IBM...you can afford it. ;)

Yeah, r-i-i-i-i-g-h-t, Knotty!!!! Thanks!

Arvis
08-31-2010, 21:41
I have an ENO Double Nest and use the Jacks R Better No Sniveler as an underquilt. It fits wonderfully and packs down very small.

Thanks, Glassymtn... I will check that, and everything, out!!!

optimator
09-01-2010, 00:32
Lots of good quilt makers here. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Myself, I prefer down :)

Just Jeff
09-01-2010, 07:47
If you really want small, get a partial UQ. Often, you won't need anything under your feet, and when you do you can use your pack or a CCF sit pad. I carry a CCF torso pad as my pack frame and it insulates my legs well in the cold.

beep
09-01-2010, 09:50
Your choice of the "best" UQ is really a personal decision. The only "problem" I see with full-size UQs is the bulk of the packed quilt as compared the packed bulk of a partial UQ. For temps down into the 20s my favorite is the Crow's Nest (3/4 length) UQ from Stormcrow at HammockGear. You'll need to supplement that with a pad of some sort for your lower legs and feet, but there are many candidates for that function ranging from seat pads to Evazote foam to CCF.

I prefer the 3/4 length UQ as my "best" compromise between coverage, weight and packed bulk.