PDA

View Full Version : First hammock--NX-250 under quilt question

gtshouse
09-02-2010, 00:01
I finally made my decision and ordered my first hammock, a NX-250. Being new to all of this, I have many questions, some of which will probably be answered when I have the hammock in hand and can get a feel for how it works.

One thing I would like advice on before the hammock is even delivered is bottom insulation. After much reading here on the forums, I have decided to go ahead and get an under quilt instead of going the pad route.

So, NX-250 owners, which under quilt will fit this hammock the best? I am not planning full-on winter camping, but mid 30 temps are very possible. I know I can always go with Clark's Z-Liner, but I am kinda concerned about gaps/cold spots in the pockets. I would like some ideas about which, uh, aftermarket under quilts fit best and attach easily without mods.

Thanks!
greg

bigbamaguy
09-02-2010, 09:18
gtshouse:
Not a 250 owner, I have the NX-200. I have a KAQ New River from Paul at Arrowhead Equipment. It is a synthetic UQ that fits my 200 well. It also has loops that allow for it to be attached to the loops on either side of the bugnet entrance. Look at my avatar and you can see the KAQ deployed on my 200.

Jsaults
09-02-2010, 11:55
a 3-season 3/4 underquilt from Adam at Hammock Gear. When It arrives I will post a review (I have a NX-250 , but wanted insulation I could use on my Hennessey as well).

Jim

gtshouse
09-02-2010, 23:10
a 3-season 3/4 underquilt from Adam at Hammock Gear. When It arrives I will post a review (I have a NX-250 , but wanted insulation I could use on my Hennessey as well).

Jim

That Crow's Nest does look nice!

molawns
09-03-2010, 15:04
I've camped in my NX-250 before where low temps were in the upper 20's F, and I didn't use an underquilt at all...I simply had the pockets stuffed with extra gear, kept the WeatherSheild zipped shut and had a thick 20 degree sleeping bag inside with a fleece sleeping bag liner underneath it (using it like a pad). I was also wearing merino wool underwear and an "outer layer" of military BDU trousers and a long sleeve cotton flannel shirt. I also was wearing a wool watch cap and wool socks. I was warm and toasty all night long! No UQ was necessary.

Keep in mind, this was South Florida...but our upper 20's seem a bit colder due to the high humidity levels. That's about the coldest I'd personally care to camp in, without extra protection (like a UQ).

Your mileage may vary, but I thought I'd share my experiences with you. Camping without a UQ is possible given the temp range you expect.

gtshouse
09-03-2010, 17:02
Your mileage may vary, but I thought I'd share my experiences with you. Camping without a UQ is possible given the temp range you expect.

Thanks for sharing molawns.

gtshouse
09-10-2010, 23:35
I ordered a summer Crowsnest, overstuffed, from hammockgear. It should arrive before too long.
Jsaults, have you had a chance to try yours out yet?

Jsaults
09-11-2010, 13:59
Adam's prediction is for it to arrive end of next week or so (ordered the 1st, with a two weekish delivery time).

I have a week-long trip planned October 3-9th and that may be the first actual time I get to spend full nights with it.

Jim

Miguel
09-11-2010, 14:41
I've been using Mac's IX UQ all summer down to high 40s-low 50s. I love it because of it's very low weight and how it matches up with the NX 250 so beautifully. I have some pics of it installed if you'd like to see them. I run the attachment loops of the UQ over the attachment points of the hoop rods...then to bungees to the main hammock suspension straps.. It seals the end of the UQ very well.

I suppose any UQ could be suspended that way. BTW...I haven't heard too much positive feedback about the Clark UQ system. Besides it proprietary and therefore can't be used with any other future hammock you may buy. I'd stick to a conventional UQ.

Miguel

Miguel
09-11-2010, 14:45
Here are some pics of the IX with the Clark 250.

gtshouse
09-11-2010, 18:54
I looked hard at the Clark UQ. The reason I liked it is the same reason I didn't like it...custom made for that hammock only. I decided to go with a UQ I could use with another hammock as well.

Jsaults
09-11-2010, 19:18
I can use it with my HH as well.

Jim