7.billybob58
8.fishbone
9.cerabus
10.tnhillbilly
11.cerabus mom visited a little while

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1903&c=18

Shadowmoss
10-28-2007, 20:24
It was proven *cough* that two people can inhabit a Treklight double hammock.

Ummm, I think other things happened this weekend, too. I'm sure I had fun.

Did I mention that 2 people fit into a Treklight double? :)

Nest
10-28-2007, 21:03
It was proven *cough* that two people can inhabit a Treklight double hammock.

Ummm, I think other things happened this weekend, too. I'm sure I had fun.

Did I mention that 2 people fit into a Treklight double? :)

I was thinking earlier that if anyone saw that, they probably thought TNHillbilly was starting some odd adult magazine involving hammocks.

I also realized we didn't try to lie flat like in a Hennessey. Wonder if laying diagonally would get rid of that ridge between the two people and make it a little easier to move around.

Shadowmoss
10-28-2007, 21:27
*shadowmoss fluffs hair and tries to look nonchalant *

Well, obviously we need to do more testing. :)

TNHillbilly hasn't even posted his pics of us yet...

Note to self: make sure his Mom isn't around this time...

Nest
10-28-2007, 22:11
Yeah, moms ruin everything. I don't even live in my parents' house anymore and I still can't get away with anything.

tnhillbilly
10-29-2007, 05:37
I haven't produced my pictures yet because I'm still having a little trouble with just how the blackmail note should read. The somewhat tame picture that Neo posted just doesn't show exactly how far this hammock research experiment went off course. However I sure enjoyed meeting everyone and had a great time, looking forward to the next get together. Any way I wanted to say thanks to all that came and shared their experiences, equipment, and ideas with me. It was a great help to this newbie. Of course my sweetie may not be too happy now that I think I need more accessories and equipment. Guess I'll have to scratch the new boat off my Christmas list and add some hammock stuff. tnhillbilly

Shadowmoss
10-29-2007, 07:20
It was great to see all the cool things tnhillbilly had in prototype. Thanks for the windscreen aka metal printing press plate. Billybob58 is a cool dude, and I was glad he brought his netless HH for us to check out. Skinny Badger aka Lurker was fun, and it was neat that he just hopped on his motorcycle and rode over to play with his new hammock with us.

Fishbone will be forgiven (this time) for not bringing any instruments to strum around the campfire. And, anyone heard from peanut? It think she was getting 100 miles to the gallon of oil in her van (really!). Hope she made it home ok.

And Judy, aka cerberus' Mom, is a really neat lady. I enjoyed talking to her. It was funny how the phrase 'oh, ummm, that's my Mom' can still make my heart stop in the right situation, though. :)

Rocksee, we'll have to party again sometime.

NCPatrick
10-29-2007, 07:30
Sounds like y'all had fun! Thanks for posting those pictures...

neo
10-29-2007, 10:45
i still have more pics i will post :cool:

i am going to start hosting a summer ky/tn hangout at land between the lakes at sugar bay lake access/camping area,a 3 day camping pass is $5.00
but i always get the $15.00 pass good for a year from date of purchase
this place is located on the north/south trail,you can hike or mountain bike
and bring your kayak or canoe for fun in the lake:cool: neo

neo
10-29-2007, 10:58
It was great to see all the cool things tnhillbilly had in prototype. Thanks for the windscreen aka metal printing press plate. Billybob58 is a cool dude, and I was glad he brought his netless HH for us to check out. Skinny Badger aka Lurker was fun, and it was neat that he just hopped on his motorcycle and rode over to play with his new hammock with us.

Fishbone will be forgiven (this time) for not bringing any instruments to strum around the campfire. And, anyone heard from peanut? It think she was getting 100 miles to the gallon of oil in her van (really!). Hope she made it home ok.

And Judy, aka cerberus' Mom, is a really neat lady. I enjoyed talking to her. It was funny how the phrase 'oh, ummm, that's my Mom' can still make my heart stop in the right situation, though. :)

Rocksee, we'll have to party again sometime.

i just talked to peanuts,she made it home about 10:00pm last nite:cool: neo

cavediver2
10-29-2007, 11:13
I might be up to the sugar bay camp out that is a little closer to me post dates when you can and I will see if I can make it. I am going right now to look where that is in relation to where I is.

neo
10-29-2007, 11:16
:) saturday nite dinner was great,i brought barbeque pork shoulder
tnhillbilly made a really good peach cobbler in his dutch oven
peanuts made a cherry and a black berry cobblers seved hot
with a gallon of vanilla ice cream i picked up in town,last time
we had a hangout rain man made us all a campfire pizza
rainman did not make this trip,he fell of a ladder earlier in the week
we sure missed him:cool: neo

cavediver2
10-29-2007, 11:17
I might be up to the sugar bay camp out that is a little closer to me post dates when you can and I will see if I can make it. I am going right now to look where that is in relation to where I is.

Microsoft streets and trips does not list it in there or not sugar bay might need a town name to find it.

neo
10-29-2007, 11:18

i have a good friend that lives in metropolis ill that plans on coming to this hangout,:cool: neo

neo
10-29-2007, 11:28
Microsoft streets and trips does not list it in there or not sugar bay might need a town name to find it.

here is some info,i hope it helps:cool: neo

its on the ky lake side,this is a very ledgable map

http://www.lbl.org/LBLGeneralMap.pdf

Nest
10-29-2007, 18:08
TNHillbilly, just tell you wife that if you get a double hammock yall could use it together. It would bring you closer together. Also, the testing in the double hammock was a scientific experiment. Very professional. Besides, you wre the one touching our butts through the bottom.:eek:

Thanks to Billybob for bringing the netless Hennessey. My mom just ordered one today. She said the talked to Hennessey, and it was the last one.

cavediver2
10-29-2007, 18:10
That is very do able. in private message tell me how it is maybe I know them and we can car pool down there. I do a lot of fishing in that area. Might even bring my boat down and put in somewhere down there.

Keep me in mind I am camping this weekend at the quarry where I teach diving at.

BillyBob58
10-29-2007, 18:11
:) saturday nite dinner was great,i brought barbeque pork shoulder
tnhillbilly made a really good peach cobbler in his dutch oven
peanuts made a cherry and a black berry cobblers seved hot
with a gallon of vanilla ice cream i picked up in town,last time
we had a hangout rain man made us all a campfire pizza
rainman did not make this trip,he fell of a ladder earlier in the week
we sure missed him:cool: neo

Poor Peanuts made a 9 hour drive one way! She was way tired.

We got the ice cream when Neo rode with me to town, showing me the way, so I could pick get some food items. Because I brought nothing except some dessert and apple fritters for breakfast. Partly because I almost didn't make it at all and was a last minute arrival. Then, after gorging on two helpings of barbeque and side items AND two helpings of cobbler and ice cream, Neo cracks the whip and forces several of us to go for a multi mile hike up and down the hills in the dark! :eek: I guess he was wanting to make sure I didn't get to fat from my over-eating.

But I'm sure glad I made it, because I met a bunch of fun, cool folks who happen to share my new hobby. And though I still don't have "real" names straight ( heck, I didn't even get/hear many real names), I now have their user names matched with a face. Unfortunately, Ewker had to leave before I got there. But I did hear that he managed to stay up off the ground, so that's good. And I only just now realized: that extremely sweet lady Shadowmoss is the same person who uses the signature "Bad spellers of the world Untie! ", which has always cracked me up!

I also got to see and/or try out lot's of hammocks and accessories which I had previously only seen in pictures. Fishbone's JRB NS/UQ and Tarp, Cerberus' Potomac UQ, Shadowmoss' Treklite (I think) and SNUGFIT( boy, she must be rich or something- or at least a true stay warm in a hammock fanatic- it gave me UQ envy :D ). Peanut's Eagle nest and of course the Claytor and camo SG Neo tarp. And it was really cool to have Skinnybadger ( a "lurker" only, so far, at this forum) show up on a motor cycle and show us his new, never opened HH ULBP, basically saying "hey, guys, what do I do with this?"! But he made it thru the 43* night ok. That sure is a smarter way to learn all about hammocks than was my method of trial and mostly error 10 miles from the trailhead on a 22* Sept Wyoming night at 10,000 feet!

Also, it was just a plain beautiful area with lot's of hammock perfect trees and just right temps and great color changes on the drive up on the Natchez Trace, a straight shot north east on the Trace from my house to the park 2 1/2 hours later. Almost no traffic both ways, and nice scenery.

I'm glad Neo put this together ( thanks, Neo! ) and glad all the folks were able to make it. I almost had to cancel, and I'm glad I didn't. I had a good time, particularly meeting all the nice people who belong to all of the user names.
Bill

PS
I thought Skinnybadger, Fishbone and I were off in the HH ghetto, every body in the other larger section, where the campfire and cooking/pot luck was, were in top loaders! But then Shadowmoss, I think it was, told me that TNHillbilly was also in an HH, which I did not see. I thought they had banished us HH bottom loading lowlifes to the less desireable part of the woods. :D ;)

tnhillbilly
10-29-2007, 20:38
Cerberus, I was not touching butts just adjusting the underquilt. You know that thing has to fit snug to keep away the cold spots. Although I'm not sure there were any cold spots when you two were in there. Also if it was cold how come Shadowmoss had skin showing where shirt should have been? I knew I shouldn't have left you two to get more batteries for my camera. I'm glad Peanuts got home ok, her old van was having issues. It was really nice for her to make that trip to be with us. Also how did the even newer than me guy, skinny badger, make it his first night in a hammock? I enjoyed all the good food, conversation, and fellowship. I'm glad everyone made it home safe, since I haven't heard otherwise. I had a great time. tnhillbilly

Nest
10-29-2007, 20:51
Cerberus, I was not touching butts just adjusting the underquilt. You know that thing has to fit snug to keep away the cold spots. Although I'm not sure there were any cold spots when you two were in there. Also if it was cold how come Shadowmoss had skin showing where shirt should have been? I knew I shouldn't have left you two to get more batteries for my camera. I'm glad Peanuts got home ok, her old van was having issues. It was really nice for her to make that trip to be with us. Also how did the even newer than me guy, skinny badger, make it his first night in a hammock? I enjoyed all the good food, conversation, and fellowship. I'm glad everyone made it home safe, since I haven't heard otherwise. I had a great time. tnhillbilly

On a serious note with two in a hammock, it is surprisingly comfy. I think the key is the weight of the two people should be a little close. If both people are close to the same weight then the balance isn't thrown off. You were also right about shifting so that your hips aren't side by side. That spread out the weight, and made it feel like two hammocks. So if anyone is wondering, it would be doable for an overnight or weekend campout to save weight or money on gear. The only problem would be if you move a lot in your sleep. I think both of us almost fell asleep laying there, so that was proof enough for me.

I heard that Skinny Badger didn't even need the Walmart blue pad Shadowmoss offered, or the SPE that he was offered. He had two pads of his own, so he must have done pretty good. I enjoyed talking to him, a real nice guy. Hope he gets active in the forums.

BillyBob58
10-30-2007, 21:18
I think skinny badger had a little trouble with cold shoulders, and a little trouble staying on the pad, but overall he made it OK. Especially considering it was his first attempt.

neo
10-31-2007, 08:49
I think skinny badger had a little trouble with cold shoulders, and a little trouble staying on the pad, but overall he made it OK. Especially considering it was his first attempt.

:) skinny badger it THE MAN.he got his hammock in the mail last thursday,next he did a hammock search and found hammock forums,he said if i had not posted so many threads about my hangout he would not have found it.i he rode up to the hangout saturday afternoon on his motor cycle
i helped him hang his hammock,he is alright,:cool: neo

his hammock had never been out of the bag till saturday,come back any time,
every one that showed up at the hangout are truly wonderful people
thanks everybody for making this hangout a success.

Cannibal
10-31-2007, 09:07
i still have more pics i will post :cool:

i am going to start hosting a summer ky/tn hangout at land between the lakes at sugar bay lake access/camping area,a 3 day camping pass is $5.00
but i always get the $15.00 pass good for a year from date of purchase
this place is located on the north/south trail,you can hike or mountain bike
and bring your kayak or canoe for fun in the lake:cool: neo

neo- where exactly is this?

Ewker
10-31-2007, 09:13
it was nice seeing everyone again, sorry I missed some folks who came in Sat. I had my granddaughters birthday party to go to. No way I could miss that and still be alive today.

angrysparrow
10-31-2007, 09:19
neo- where exactly is this?

Search on Google Maps for 'Cadiz, KY'. Just to the west of it (on the KY/TN border) is the Land Between the Lakes national recreation area. I've been there several times. Very very nice place.

http://www.lbl.org/Home.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Between_The_Lakes_National_Recreation_Area

NCPatrick
10-31-2007, 09:32
On a family trip once our car broke down on 24 near Cadiz and we had to spend 2 nights in Cadiz, we visited a lodge area near the lake while waiting for repairs. I agree, it's a very nice place.

(Turns out the car was just out of gas, but the gas gauge was broken so we didn't know... this after having the car towed from Cadiz to Hopkinsville to a shop there).

Cannibal
10-31-2007, 09:35
Search on Google Maps for 'Cadiz, KY'. Just to the west of it (on the KY/TN border) is the Land Between the Lakes national recreation area. I've been there several times. Very very nice place.

http://www.lbl.org/Home.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Between_The_Lakes_National_Recreation_Area

Thanks. Too many hits for 'Sugar Bay Lake'; I gave up.

Ewker
10-31-2007, 10:25
Cannibal, try the link Neo posted..scroll down about a 1/3 of the way

here is some info,i hope it helps:cool: neo

its on the ky lake side,this is a very ledgable map

Cannibal
10-31-2007, 10:29
Cannibal, try the link Neo posted..scroll down about a 1/3 of the way

Missed that one competely :o , thanks.

neo
10-31-2007, 11:01
Missed that one competely :o , thanks.

this map has it all,scroll down,sugar bay is on the ky lake side of about 1/3 rd
of the way down:cool: neo

peanuts
11-01-2007, 12:12
hello folks.... yep.... i did make it home.....next time, i will fly in...... no more driving more than 3-4 hrs for me....i had a wonderfull time, even tho i was soooo tired....i need to get away again..... it was nice putting faces to names.
p.s. neo, my dad is doing ok now...thanks for calling

neo
11-01-2007, 12:21
hello folks.... yep.... i did make it home.....next time, i will fly in...... no more driving more than 3-4 hrs for me....i had a wonderfull time, even tho i was soooo tired....i need to get away again..... it was nice putting faces to names.
p.s. neo, my dad is doing ok now...thanks for calling

:) thats great news peanuts about your dad doing better,next time we will go into town earlier for breakfast,it was great getting to meet you,thanks for bringing the cherry and blackberry cobblers for saturday nite,they were yummy:cool: neo

BillyBob58
11-03-2007, 13:33
I got a few pics also:
Here are Cerberus and Neo still enjoying hammock comfort well into mid morning on Sunday. It was a 43* night, and Cerberus is still asleep on top of his Potomac quilt (left) and Neo is out like a light on the right, on top of a pad in his Claytor and under his 12x12 SG.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/9/IMG_0610.jpg

Here is Shadowmoss' Snugfit and lawn chair under, I believe, a HH hex tarp.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/9/IMG_0608.jpg

Sunday morning: Fishbone is already up and has his HH/NoSniveller quilt torn down, Left to right, my HH Explorer with SuperShelter and Mac Cat deluxe awning style, my HH net-less Safari with hex tarp removed, background SkinnyBadger's HHULBP.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/9/IMG_0605.jpg

Skinnybadger ( on left with his ULBP background) and Fishbone getting ready to leave.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/9/IMG_0606.jpg

That's all the pics I got, I don't know why I didn't take some more. A few minutes after taking this last pic I was bumming a cup of coffee from Shadowmoss ( with water heated on Peanut's stove?, or Shadowmoss' stove- not sure) and eating apple fritters. Then it was time for the drive home!

Nest
11-03-2007, 16:43
I always sleep in. It will take me 8 months to do my thru hike next year because I will sleep in every morning.

Thanks for taking that picture of my hammock with me in it though. Now I can see how little undercover coverage I could get around the top if I don't have the cold weather part attached. I'll start using that from now on.

BillyBob58
11-03-2007, 19:19
I always sleep in. It will take me 8 months to do my thru hike next year because I will sleep in every morning.

Thanks for taking that picture of my hammock with me in it though. Now I can see how little undercover coverage I could get around the top if I don't have the cold weather part attached. I'll start using that from now on.

You're welcome. What "cold weather part" are you referring to?
Bill

Nest
11-03-2007, 20:56
You're welcome. What "cold weather part" are you referring to?
Bill

Look at how my underquilt ends at the top compared to Shadowmoss' underquilt. See how mine doesn't cover the entire hammock, and if I lie at an angle my head could be unprotected. At the corners of the Potomac there is a shock cord loop on one side, and a mitten clip on the other. You wrap the shock cord around the top of the hammock and clip it to the other side. Not very strong shock cord. What it does is pulls up the four corners so that the entire hammock is covered. The shock cord goes over the top and bottom of the hammock where it gets real skinny, so it isn't even in the way and doesn't affect the hammock at all. Just covers the whole hammock.

BillyBob58
11-03-2007, 22:42
I think I understand. Next time you set it up that way post a pic for me, if you have time.

Nest
11-03-2007, 22:47
It isn't so much about time as it is remembering. I always carry a camera when I go on trips, but I never take pictures. If I remember I will take a picture next time.