PDA

View Full Version : General Hangout ??

Cuffs
11-01-2007, 11:12
I like to get people together for camping/hiking etc...

I have yet to attend a hangout...

Are the hangouts car-camp style or short hikes to a hanging destination?

Looking to plan a Central Alabama get-together....

RockStar
11-01-2007, 11:19
How Central? I'm game. :D

NCPatrick
11-01-2007, 11:19
SEHHA in Hot Springs is car camping.
MAHHA and the Winter Hangout are short hikes in.
RRG, coming up November 16, 17, and 18th, is a hike in -- I'm not sure how far though yet.
Not sure about Neo's Tenn. Hangout.

Cuffs
11-01-2007, 11:23
Thanks NCP, that gives me some options!

RS: Looking at Talladega NF or Oak Mtn State Park (just s. of The Ham)

kohburn
11-01-2007, 11:42
anyone want to do a hangout on assateague island? (maryland eastern shore south of ocean city)

I'm working on getting more information about which areas of the island have trees to hang from. (there is actually a section of "forest" on the island) and you have a chance of encountering the wild horses in the back country.

there are campsites 2.5 - 13 miles from the parking lot if you are hiking a tad closer if you are paddling.

http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/upload/backcountry%20regs.pdf

peanuts
11-01-2007, 11:44
mid-tn hangout------drive up to camp...

neo
11-01-2007, 11:52
i have hosted to hangouts this year,the spring hangout was in march and the fall was in october,i am hosting a backpack winter hang in febuary at big south fork:cool: neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=11

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2173

Ewker
11-01-2007, 12:25
Cuffs,

set something up and I will come down and go with you. I can do a backpacking or base camping trip but I would prefer a bping trip.

neo
11-01-2007, 12:30
Thanks NCP, that gives me some options!

RS: Looking at Talladega NF or Oak Mtn State Park (just s. of The Ham)

:) i love hiking in the Talladega NF,me and my 2 boys did some hiking and camping there in oct 2002,we camped at cinnabee lake 1st nite,ate breakfast at cheaha state park next morning,hiked to cheaha falls and camped 2nd nite,we stayed at blue mountain shelter 3rd nite:cool: neo

Cuffs
11-01-2007, 13:10
Youve only touched the surface of TNF, get back out there, theres so much more to see!

neo
11-01-2007, 13:12
Youve only touched the surface of TNF, get back out there, theres so much more to see!

:) your right about that, iwant to hike the pinhoti trail in alabama one day:cool: neo

neo
11-01-2007, 13:15

i bought a really good book called hike america alabama a few years back:cool: neo

http://www.hawham.fws1.com/hikeamerica.htm

Cuffs
11-01-2007, 13:28
i bought a really good book called hike america alabama a few years back:cool: neo

http://www.hawham.fws1.com/hikeamerica.htm

You mean "Hike Alabama" by Joe Cuhaj? Hes a good friend of mine! The latest edition just came out last month! I got my very own autographed copy!

neo
11-01-2007, 13:40
You mean "Hike Alabama" by Joe Cuhaj? Hes a good friend of mine! The latest edition just came out last month! I got my very own autographed copy!

great book,the appalachians mountains really start in alabama,the cumberland mountain aka cumberland platue also starts in bama,from what i have seen north centeral and north east alabama is mountainious and very scenic:cool: neo

neo
11-01-2007, 13:41

his book had just come out when i bought it in 2002,excellent book:cool: neo

headchange4u
11-01-2007, 13:52
RRG, coming up November 16, 17, and 18th, is a hike in -- I'm not sure how far though yet.

The shortest route is about 1.5 miles.

Hooch
11-01-2007, 14:10
The shortest route is about 1.5 miles. Is that from the Gray's Arch parking lot, HC? I think when Doctari and I went and parked at the Swinging Bridge parking lot, it was around 4miles or so in, give or take.

southmark
11-01-2007, 14:42
I like to get people together for camping/hiking etc...

I have yet to attend a hangout...

Are the hangouts car-camp style or short hikes to a hanging destination?

Looking to plan a Central Alabama get-together....

Cuffs, count me in.

NCPatrick
11-01-2007, 14:43
Cuffs, where exactly would you have the hangout? I need to check Google to see if it's within range. It's beautiful country down there.

Cuffs
11-01-2007, 15:06
NC, too many options/choices at this point! I'll be in TNF this weekend and next, so I'll be scoping out both car-camp and bp options...

For mapping purposes, you can look at Oak Mtn. State Park and Cheaha State Park. Those would at least give you rough estimates...

headchange4u
11-01-2007, 15:09
Is that from the Gray's Arch parking lot, HC? I think when Doctari and I went and parked at the Swinging Bridge parking lot, it was around 4miles or so in, give or take.

Yeah from Gray's Arch to Sheltowee to Rush Ridge to Rough trail.

Hooch
11-01-2007, 15:31
Yeah from Gray's Arch to Sheltowee to Rush Ridge to Rough trail.Cool, sounds like a nice stroll in then. We'll have to make plans next week some time to meet up for the drive out and get up with NCPatrick to figure out when and where to meet him. Did you ever go day hike out there to get the GPS coordinates? If not, I'm off most of next week if you have some time and want to do it.

GrizzlyAdams
11-01-2007, 16:29
Cool, sounds like a nice stroll in then. We'll have to make plans next week some time to meet up for the drive out and get up with NCPatrick to figure out when and where to meet him. Did you ever go day hike out there to get the GPS coordinates? If not, I'm off most of next week if you have some time and want to do it.

Hooch & HC4U --- I'm figuring to drive out early enough to join the hike-in party, wonder if I could connect with you all at some point along the road and draft in to RRG behind you. I'm not just sure yet when or where I'm going Sunday a.m. or even Saturday p.m., so I'll drive to the site.

maps.google.com has me approaching Lexington from the west on 64.

Grizz

Hooch
11-01-2007, 16:31
Hooch & HC4U --- I'm figuring to drive out early enough to join the hike-in party, wonder if I could connect with you all at some point along the road and draft in to RRG behind you. I'm not just sure yet when or where I'm going Sunday a.m. or even Saturday p.m., so I'll drive to the site.

maps.google.com has me approaching Lexington from the west on 64.

Grizz
Absolutely, I'll get up with you to figure out times, etc. It'd be my pleasure!

NCPatrick
11-02-2007, 08:34
NC, too many options/choices at this point! I'll be in TNF this weekend and next, so I'll be scoping out both car-camp and bp options...

For mapping purposes, you can look at Oak Mtn. State Park and Cheaha State Park. Those would at least give you rough estimates...

Hmmm... Cheaha is approx. 7 hours from me. Oak Mtn. is farther... well, keep me posted when you figure out where you're going.

headchange4u
11-02-2007, 08:34
Cool, sounds like a nice stroll in then. We'll have to make plans next week some time to meet up for the drive out and get up with NCPatrick to figure out when and where to meet him. Did you ever go day hike out there to get the GPS coordinates? If not, I'm off most of next week if you have some time and want to do it.

My wife and I went for a day hike and I got the GPS coordinates for the Gray's Arch parking lot, but my wife gave up on me after about 3.5 miles so I didn't make it to the camp spot. I can almost pinpoint the camp spot on using my GPS software and a topo map. I will post the coordinates in the RRG thread in the next couple of days as well as detailed directions to the parking lot and camp site.

NCPatrick
11-02-2007, 08:38
Hey, can we move the RRG stuff over to the RRG planning thread, poor Cuffs here is trying to talk about Alabama, and besides we already have the other thread going... (plus I'm having trouble keeping up with both threads). Just asking...

Cuffs
11-02-2007, 09:39
Thank you NCP!!

Nest
11-02-2007, 14:49

That's 2 hours from me. Doable if I am off that weekend.

Hooch
11-02-2007, 15:33
Cuffs, sorry about that. Didn't mean to take over your thread. My apologies. :D

Cuffs
11-02-2007, 15:52
No apologies needed! I understand your excitement about getting out!

dixicritter
11-04-2007, 14:58
Oak Mtn State Park used to be stomping grounds for me growning up... I knew it pretty well, it's been years since I've been there though.

deljohnston
12-26-2007, 17:28
New to the forums and fairly new to hangin' in the trees.

I live just north of Bham but work less than 10 minutes from the main entrance to Oak Mtn State Park, in Helena.

It is rather cold for hanging right now, but this Spring, I could go for a meet up. I would love to see everyone's rigs and learn a thing or three.

:D

FanaticFringer
12-26-2007, 17:42

I live just north of Bham but work less than 10 minutes from the main entrance to Oak Mtn State Park, in Helena.

It is rather cold for hanging right now, but this Spring, I could go for a meet up. I would love to see everyone's rigs and learn a thing or three.

Never too cold for a good hanging. Unless maybe you live in Alaska.:eek: 4 season hammock camping is the way to go. If you have the proper gear and knowledge, you'll be fine.
Welcome to the forum.

Cuffs
12-26-2007, 17:45

Where abouts north of the Ham? I am too! (Gardendale)

deljohnston
12-26-2007, 17:51
Holy crap! I grew up in Gardendale! Class of '89. I live in Fultondale now.

Thanks, Fanatic! For a newbie like me, it is too cold. I don't have the proper gear yet. LOL.

I froze in 45 degree temps with NO UQ, a Thermarest 3/4" pad and supposed 20 degree bag. I knew it was not the right gear, but I had just purchased my first HH and was very anxious to get off the ground for the first time!

sam4msu
12-26-2007, 17:56
Did you all ever do the hang out?? If not and if I am not working the weekend that you plan on doing it and if I have purchased my hammock in time, I would love to join in. I am in the Huntsville area so either of these would be very doable. I am still in the research stages trying to decide which hammock to get. I am down to the Speer or the Hennessey. Tough decision but I am sure that I will be happy either way.

Cuffs
12-26-2007, 18:00
Nothing planned as of yet Sam! But will keep you posted for sure!

skippy
12-26-2007, 18:22
I'm in,I live in Oneonta.Pick a date and place and I will see if I am off work

slowhike
12-26-2007, 18:50
man... there's a lot of you guys in Alabama & near by states!
i hope you guys will be planing some camp outs down there.
if anyone hasn't seen the HF map & want to get your self on there, go to the HF home page to find the map & Headchange4u's instructions for getting on it.

slowhike
12-26-2007, 18:51
and welcome to HF deljohnston. ...tim

Cuffs
12-26-2007, 19:06
Hello Oneonta!

I have a farm just down the road from you in Cleveland! And many work associates in Oneonta too!

Cannibal
12-26-2007, 20:41
It is rather cold for hanging right now

NEVER too cold to hang! It will become a challenge to see "how low can you go". The people on this site inspired this Florida boy, they can convert anyone. Until then, warm greetings and welcome to the forum. :cool: