PDA

View Full Version : anyone know of an UQ that will work with HH safari deluxe?

leeinmemphis
09-12-2010, 19:58
Hey everyone,

My son has recently joined scouts so it looks like we are going to be camping several times a year. I have a HH safari deluxe and am looking for an underquilt for it. I would like a 3 season uq if possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

tiger1dd
09-12-2010, 20:28
Hey everyone,

My son has recently joined scouts so it looks like we are going to be camping several times a year. I have a HH safari deluxe and am looking for an underquilt for it. I would like a 3 season uq if possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm not really an UQ or HH expert, but I can tell you this:

WHEN IN DOUBT: DIY!

hangnout
09-12-2010, 20:37
Just about all of the quilts from the vendors on HF will work. 1st decision is if you want a full length UQ or a shorter UQ used in conjuction with a pad under legs.

leeinmemphis
09-12-2010, 21:44
I'm thinking that I am wanting a full length. I'm typically a "cold" sleeper and use more blankets than others.

wisenber
09-12-2010, 22:00
Hey everyone,

JacksRBetter makes the Nest (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hennessy%20Style%20Under%20Quilts.htm). I believe that was the first UQ made for a HH. It has a slit for the bottom entry. while there are many excellent UQ vendors on here, I believe JRB is the only one making a full length UQ with a slit for HH entry/exit. They make 3 and 4 season versions.

questtrek
09-12-2010, 22:20
Anything by Hammockgear.com ... Stormcrow makes some great stuff! ..

more
09-13-2010, 00:50
JacksRBetter makes the Nest (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hennessy%20Style%20Under%20Quilts.htm). I believe that was the first UQ made for a HH. It has a slit for the bottom entry. while there are many excellent UQ vendors on here, I believe JRB is the only one making a full length UQ with a slit for HH entry/exit. They make 3 and 4 season versions.

I used to use a HH Safari and I do have a JRB Winter Nest now and they work fine together. The safari seems like it is exceptional because it's so big, but your body will still gravitate to the lowest areas which are wrapped up by your underquilt. It just makes the quilt look smaller is all.

leeinmemphis
09-13-2010, 13:14
I used to use a HH Safari and I do have a JRB Winter Nest now and they work fine together. The safari seems like it is exceptional because it's so big, but your body will still gravitate to the lowest areas which are wrapped up by your underquilt. It just makes the quilt look smaller is all.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to do some more looking around tonight and try to get something ordered in the next day or so. Thanks again!

split
09-13-2010, 16:40
I have a Safari Deluxe as well. I'm going to try to rig something with an old down sleeping bag. Any suggestions?

BillyBob58
09-13-2010, 16:44
Thanks for the info! I'm going to do some more looking around tonight and try to get something ordered in the next day or so. Thanks again!

I have attached a JRB MW4 and it fits fine,, as did a MMP IX. The only thing is, because the glorious Safari is so long, you might have to rig up an elastic/bungee attachment point that is in towards the middle a bit, so you don't over stretch the bungees. But as long as you don't pull it way too tight, it is going to wrap around your body like any other quilt with any other hammock. More or less.

Also, caution with any quilt lateral tie out points, such as on my MMP IX quilt designed specifically for a HH Explorer. Again, since the Safari is wider, if you run its guy out lines through the tie out points on the quilt, it might be a bit tight once you get in. But you don't really have to do that anyway.

Ain't the Safari grand?!

leeinmemphis
09-14-2010, 13:03
Thanks for the info everyone. I called JRB today and had about a 45 minute conversation with them about what all I needed to get comfortable. They took alot of time going through various subjects and I really do appreciate them doing that. I ended up ordering two nests. One for me and one for my son. Thanks again!!!!

wisenber
09-15-2010, 07:17
Thanks for the info everyone. I called JRB today and had about a 45 minute conversation with them about what all I needed to get comfortable. They took alot of time going through various subjects and I really do appreciate them doing that. I ended up ordering two nests. One for me and one for my son. Thanks again!!!!

That's one area the Jacks truly excel. You can always call them and ask. Their willingness to spend the time with someone on the phone to go over all of the various aspects of particular needs never ceases to impress me.