PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Nano 7 Carabiners Safely?

jloden
09-13-2010, 10:17
I've seen a couple folks with Nano 7 hammocks replace the included carabiners in the end-channels with cord. For example Sgt. Rock posted a picture of his:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13829&stc=1&d=1284390907

Can someone enlighten a newbie on how this can be done safely? Sgt Rock mentions he switched to Dynaglide whoopies and wrapped some paracord shell around them to keep it from sawing through the sewn channel. I get the general idea but I am not very familiar with knots and I've never tried a whoopie sling. I'm thinking about trying this but I'm not sure how to duplicate what you see above in the picture, and I don't want to end up on the ground :laugh:

Any other suggestions on what I could do to replace the carabiners? For suspension the only thing on hand I have right now is JRB tri-glides + straps and a pair of dutch clips. I was thinking of trying the tri-glides backwards from the usual use, putting the dutch clips on the tree end, and the tri-glide adjustable buckle where it can be adjusted at the hammock end. That way I don't have to thread the tri-glide each time I set it up. Can I do that safely by putting a knot in the end of the hammock and attaching the strap with a larks head? If so how should I knot or ball the end of the hammock?

-Jay

Cuffs
09-13-2010, 13:40
I ran about a 6" piece of 7/16 tubular webbing thru the channel then ran my whoopies thru the tube of the webbing.

MikeM
09-13-2010, 13:55
I put zip ties through the channels and then wrapped the whoopies behind the knob formed by the fabric.

jloden
09-13-2010, 15:37
Thanks for the suggestions... if/when I switch to Whoopies that gives me a couple ideas. Mike, when you used a zip tie did you just cinch it up and stick the whoopie over/around the lump in the fabric, or did you roll/knot the fabric first to build up more of a knob shape? I like the surgical tubing idea too, that'd be stiff enough to distribute the stress and protect from sawing.

For now what I ended up doing was taking the end of the tri-glides strap and just putting it through the channel. Simple enough, and it's wide enough that I don't feel too concerned about the stress on the seam. It works Ok for an adjustable suspension, if a little heavy - it weighs as much as the Nano itself :p

heyyou
10-08-2010, 22:25
20' of strap! 4.2 oz just for the webbing, add in the metal, and the weight is near what the hammock weighs with nothing in the sewn channel.

I believe the Sgt. has a loop in the end of the yellow cord. Yellow is fed through the outer black shell of some cord where he had stripped out the interior fibers. Black on yellow is in the sewn fabric channel. The yellow tail of B & Y is fed back throught the yellow loop protruding from the end of the channel. To prevent sawing, he placed the whipping on the B & Y, instead of on the fabric, as is commonly done. Just Jeff has whipping instructions at his website.

At the HF Suspension sub-forum, in the Single Line Suspension sticky, on page 3, Grizz has some excellent photos and suggestions for good whippings. Anyone is welcome to post a link there.

jloden
10-09-2010, 11:59
20' of strap! 4.2 oz just for the webbing, add in the metal, and the weight is near what the hammock weighs with nothing in the sewn channel.

[...]

Just Jeff has whipping instructions at his website.

At the HF Suspension sub-forum, in the Single Line Suspension sticky, on page 3, Grizz has some excellent photos and suggestions for good whippings. Anyone is welcome to post a link there.

Yep, the Tri-Glides are heavier than I'd like for the nano... I bought some whoopie slings (just arrived last week) and they're replacing the Tri-Glides for weight reasons. I didn't set out to be a gram weenie per se, but it's just so tempting when your'e starting with such a light piece of gear :D

Thanks a ton for the pointers to whipping instructions (don't know how I missed that on JustJeff's site), that's exactly what I was looking for!

Cranky Bear
10-09-2010, 15:50
For the Nano (or any other channeled end hammock) you don't necessarily have to whip the ends! Unless you want/choose too!?!? On mine all I did was use the outer sheath of 550 paracord and put that over the whoopie (mine are dynaglide) and then just pass the whoopie (with the sheath over it) through the channel and then larksheaded it! Have had a bunch of nights in it without issue!

Not sure if this help's at all???

jloden
10-09-2010, 20:39
Thanks CB... I ended up trying it this afternoon, worked great. I just like the whipping to keep a little larger loop in the larkshead. Keeps it from bunching up on itself as much.

I couldn't get 550 sheath to fit over the dynaglide though (waaaay too narrow), ended up using some plastic tubing I had instead. Did you have any trouble getting the 550 sheathing on there?

jhunt87
10-09-2010, 21:18
I have dynaglide woopies on mine as well. No sheaths or anything, just through the channel. I have a good number of hangs on it with no signs of wear. Once you are in the hammock it should be static load so if you aren't swinging around in it, you shouldn't get any "sawing"

jloden
10-09-2010, 21:51
Once you are in the hammock it should be static load so if you aren't swinging around in it, you shouldn't get any "sawing"

Awww... what's a hammock without swaying gently back and forth :D

It's probably not really needed, but it's thin cord and the sewn channel is designed for caribeeners to support and distribute the load. Color me paranoid but it makes me feel better :)

Cranky Bear
10-09-2010, 21:57
Thanks CB... I ended up trying it this afternoon, worked great. I just like the whipping to keep a little larger loop in the larkshead. Keeps it from bunching up on itself as much.

I couldn't get 550 sheath to fit over the dynaglide though (waaaay too narrow), ended up using some plastic tubing I had instead. Did you have any trouble getting the 550 sheathing on there?

Either way will work, just remember that if you do the whipping method it "might" shorten the hammock a smidge! It might not be very noticeable to some, but it is to me (might be how I lay in it to begin with?)! I had no problem with getting the 550 sheath over it! Depending on what type of para cord you are using might play/pose a problem!

I have dynaglide woopies on mine as well. No sheaths or anything, just through the channel. I have a good number of hangs on it with no signs of wear. Once you are in the hammock it should be static load so if you aren't swinging around in it, you shouldn't get any "sawing"

Yes you are correct, I only did it as a precautionary thing as the fabric is sooooooooo thin and it didn't add "THAT" much weight:lol:!! Also with it added the diameter increased slightly (I know not much, but!!)which helps a little!!!

oldgringo
10-10-2010, 05:03
Awww... what's a hammock without swaying gently back and forth :D

It's probably not really needed, but it's thin cord and the sewn channel is designed for caribeeners to support and distribute the load. Color me paranoid but it makes me feel better :)

A short piece of tubular nylon webbing should work nicely...be glad to send you some.:)

motorapido
10-10-2010, 06:47
Plastic drinking straws as protectors in the channels? Super light. Tough. SMOOTH. Don't most people just pull the whoopie through without a protective sheath? Anyway I like the straws idea.

jloden
10-10-2010, 20:14
A short piece of tubular nylon webbing should work nicely...be glad to send you some.:)

Oldgringo, that's a great idea and very generous of you. I'll PM you my address - Thanks! Maybe I can repay the favor or send a donation to the forums in return :)

FWIW, regarding the straw... I used plastic tubing I had that in my electrical toolkit. No idea where it originally came from but it's somewhat similar to a drinking straw plastic. The downside with it being slippery is the whipping and the larkshead slide around some. Since it's not flexible, it ends up just getting crumpled and folded over on the ends when the larkshead tightens w/weight in the hammock. Didn't break yet, but a straw probably would split sooner or later.

motorapido
10-13-2010, 06:47
I made a simple, elegant solution yesterday when installing Whoopies on my Nano7. I cut small strips of Tyvek from a mailing envelope from work and used electrical tape to secure it to the short portion of Whoopie that is inside the hammock sewn channel. Tyvek is smooth, slick stuff, and weighs nothing. Surgical tubing was a thought, but that stuff is heavy, and I got my Nano7 since I'm being a gram weenie and trying to keep my entire winter pack for a 4-day trip including food and 2 liters of water to 20 pounds. So I made a Tyvek covering. Nice.