PDA

View Full Version : Any other Hangers in Newfoundland, Canada ?

BLUEFIN 774
09-14-2010, 22:00
I am trying to organize the first Newfoundland Hammock Forums get together and hang. I am looking to see if there are any other hangers in Newfoundland and if they are interested in a summer 2011 weekend hang.

vitamaltz
09-14-2010, 22:35
I sure wish I was in Newfoundland. I've never been closer than Cape Breton, but it's high on my list.

BLUEFIN 774
09-15-2010, 15:23
Vitamaltz, if you get the chance you should visit sometime.

Anyone else out there ?

BLUEFIN 774
09-15-2010, 19:54
Bump.......Anyone ?

storm1
09-15-2010, 19:56
we're not in nfld but there's a group of us hanging in nova scotia.

here's a link to our local geocaching forums where you will find the hammock hangout section. hope to see you in there.

http://forum.atlanticgeocaching.com/

BLUEFIN 774
10-23-2010, 21:18
Hey gang,

I'm not having much luck finding another hanger in Newfoundland. I spoke with one member here on the forum but he does not have a hammock yet. I think I may be the only one hanging here in Newfoundland. :(

If anyone is interested, please contact me.

sturgeon
10-25-2010, 17:33
I think I may be the only one hanging here in Newfoundland. :(

But look at it positively...You're the King of the Island!:D

Geek
10-25-2010, 18:19
maybe us Nova Scotia hangers should take a road trip to NFLD next summer..

BLUEFIN 774
01-19-2011, 17:59
I'm thinking I may have to head over to Nova Scotia for a Nova Scotia / Newfoundland Group Hang. :D

Red Wing
01-19-2011, 18:41
But look at it positively...You're the King of the Island!:D

"I'm themost wanted man on my island!"

"You mean Ireland?"

"...yeah.. it's mine"

Quote gave me a good chuckle.

easyriver
01-19-2011, 18:42
I would love to visit Nfld again. Been there four times for trips. Just new to hanging so likely all my hangs will be in NS for now. Whereabouts on the rock you located?

BLUEFIN 774
01-19-2011, 20:27
I'm in Mount Pearl, Next to St. John's.

storm1
01-19-2011, 20:46
hey BF...let us know when you're heading our way. did you get my pm?

easyriver
01-19-2011, 20:50
Wonderful place St John's. Been there several times, including about three trips whilst in the Cdn Navy. Hope to get back again someday.
Cheers.

Bushman of yukon
01-19-2011, 21:06
Hey gang,

I'm not having much luck finding another hanger in Newfoundland. I spoke with one member here on the forum but he does not have a hammock yet. I think I may be the only one hanging here in Newfoundland. :(

If anyone is interested, please contact me.

Don't feel bad bro, I think I'm the only hanger in the Yukon...well...and my wife hehe :(

BLUEFIN 774
01-19-2011, 21:18
hey BF...let us know when you're heading our way. did you get my pm?

Hey Storm1, I did and will email you.

BLUEFIN 774
01-19-2011, 21:22
Don't feel bad bro, I think I'm the only hanger in the Yukon...well...and my wife hehe :(

Hey Bushman of yukon,

Maybe we should have a sub group of lone hangers on the forum ;) Even my wife will not try the hammock. She says "I don't want to pretend to be homeless and hang from trees."

I guess we are the only ones in our areas.

Danalex
01-19-2011, 21:33
I had a great time at the George Street Festival this summer :thumbup1:

For those who haven't had the pleasure .....

" George Street is located in downtown St. John's, Newfoundland. It is the number one party spot and consists of the most bars per square foot in all of North America. If you are ever planning a trip to Newfoundland, you should plan it around the 'George Street Festival', a party you will never remember but won't forget (I'll let you think about that lol). The festival lands on the last Thursday of July and ends the following Tuesday night. Another great time to visit George Street is 'Mardi Gras Festival' (Halloween Weekend). Friday Night of Mardi Gras is the Bead Competition and Saturday Night is the Costume Competition. Both of these festivals cost 15 dollars a night and has outdoor live entertainment until 11ish. The street is closed off for people 19+ during the festivals and allow you to drink on the street until 2am (outdoors! in public! ...great isn't it lol) PLUS the 15 dollars you pay gets you into every bar on the street without paying individual cover. Are you intrigued yet? You should be :)

Bushman of yukon
01-19-2011, 22:50
Hey Bushman of yukon,

Maybe we should have a sub group of lone hangers on the forum ;) Even my wife will not try the hammock. She says "I don't want to pretend to be homeless and hang from trees."

I guess we are the only ones in our areas.

Haha! Homeless eh? :lol:

easyriver
01-20-2011, 08:13
It is the number one party spot

You forgot to mention about "Kissing the Cod" :lol:

storm1
01-20-2011, 17:40
[QUOTE=BLUEFIN 774;392641] Even my wife will not try the hammock. She says "I don't want to pretend to be homeless and hang from trees."
QUOTE]

i had sent you a link to my youtube channel...have her check out the video of my wife's first hang.

she's hung a few nights since and likes it more everytime. one night in keji, a raccoon went under her hammock while she was in it

Danalex
01-20-2011, 20:30
You forgot to mention about "Kissing the Cod" :lol:

I didn't get a chance to 'kiss a cod' but the girl I met was kind of 'fishy' looking :lol:

BLUEFIN 774
01-24-2011, 20:02
Hey Gang,

Still looking for Newfoundland hammockers........I really think I may be the only one here. :(

BLUEFIN 774
03-01-2011, 21:14
Am I really "The King Of The Island" ?

Is there anyone else out there in Newfoundland that likes to hang in the trees ?

I'm starting to believe my wife when she tells me I am the only one around here that is strange enough to go camp in a hammock. :(

The Nova Scotia / Newfoundland hang may have to happen next summer....as there seems to be no one else here and I have a busy schedule this summer.

Photo from my camping trip to Bloomidon Provincial Park in Nova Scotia. August 2010.

Bubba
03-02-2011, 00:07
On the bright side you have a whole province to yourself.

BLUEFIN 774
03-02-2011, 00:10
:)I guess I do. That means more room for me. I don't have to rush around finding the best hanging spots.:)

Bubba
03-02-2011, 01:15
I'd love to go to the Rock someday. Been there as a kid. If ever I do I'd love to go for a hang. All we'd need is some screech and we'd be set:D

BLUEFIN 774
03-02-2011, 02:12
I'd love to go to the Rock someday. Been there as a kid. If ever I do I'd love to go for a hang. All we'd need is some screech and we'd be set:D

Sounds like a plan if you ever get down here.

BrianWillan
03-02-2011, 11:32
:)I guess I do. That means more room for me. I don't have to rush around finding the best hanging spots.:)

Hey BlueFin

I guess you will just have to start posting trip reports of all the great hanging spots and scenery on Newfoundland and entice people to either stop lurking, or convince everyone else to have a destination group hang. :D

Cheers

Brian

easyriver
03-02-2011, 22:28
That seems awful strange to me that you are the only guy there that "hangs". I've been there 3 times on vacation (tent trailer) and I just know there are lots of places where a guy could pretty well do what they wanted (hang-wise). Seems like such a waste, all those wonderful spots and nobody "hanging". I can hear them trout rising from here!

BLUEFIN 774
03-03-2011, 13:47
Hey BlueFin

I guess you will just have to start posting trip reports of all the great hanging spots and scenery on Newfoundland and entice people to either stop lurking, or convince everyone else to have a destination group hang. :D

Cheers

Brian

Hey, Brian

Sounds like a good idea.

BLUEFIN 774
03-03-2011, 13:51
That seems awful strange to me that you are the only guy there that "hangs". I've been there 3 times on vacation (tent trailer) and I just know there are lots of places where a guy could pretty well do what they wanted (hang-wise). Seems like such a waste, all those wonderful spots and nobody "hanging". I can hear them trout rising from here!

Hey Easyriver,

It is hard to believe I am the only one. As soon as Paul @ AHE has the Tenkara fishing rods set up in the store, I plan on taking one with me for some trouting and hammocking. Can it get any better than that ? :D

easyriver
03-03-2011, 14:22
Can it get any better than that ?

NOPE, Don't think so! :lol:

keg
04-22-2011, 11:53
Not from NF but planning to backpack Gros Morne (north rim/long range traverse) this July.

As an aside, any idea if you can hang the whole way along or am I packing my tent?

BLUEFIN 774
04-22-2011, 12:54
Not from NF but planning to backpack Gros Morne (north rim/long range traverse) this July.

As an aside, any idea if you can hang the whole way along or am I packing my tent?

Hey keg,

I have not hiked that trail but here is a link with more info.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nl/grosmorne/activ/activ2e.aspx#combined

BLUEFIN 774
10-03-2011, 08:22
Hey gang,

Am I still the only Newfoundland hanger ?:(

It is lonely here when I have a group hang and one MBD Mini-Atomic is the only stove required because it is just me there.:scared:

easyriver
10-03-2011, 08:39
Am I still the only Newfoundland hanger

That's terrible, all those great places to hang over there. Man I can still hear the trout jumping from here!

Just got a Potomac UQ for my HH from AHE. Fits real good, as it should, because it was designed for a HH!

Try the Tenkara Gear yet?

BLUEFIN 774
10-04-2011, 13:05
That's terrible, all those great places to hang over there. Man I can still hear the trout jumping from here!

Just got a Potomac UQ for my HH from AHE. Fits real good, as it should, because it was designed for a HH!

Try the Tenkara Gear yet?

Hey easyriver,

The AHE gear rocks. I did get a little time with the Tenkara, just not enough this summer. I like it a lot but didn't catch any trout the weekend I used it. Weather was very cold and windy.

I may head over your way for the spring hang "Betwix Blackflies and winter" is that what it is named ?

easyriver
10-04-2011, 13:57
I may head over your way for the spring hang "Betwix Blackflies and winter" is that what it is named ?

Yep, thats what they call it. Long way off though! I haven't been to a Group Hang yet myself.

BLUEFIN 774
11-14-2011, 21:38
Hey gang,

Just trying to find another hammock hanger in the beautiful Province of Newfoundland & Labrador in Canada.

Please tell me there are others here.

easyriver
11-15-2011, 09:06
Still lonely over there I see Bluefin. :( That is terrible. I just found out that I MAY be coming over next summer with a Photo Club I belong to. Destination Gros Morne. Where you located?

bodhran4me
11-15-2011, 10:16
If ya don't have any Hangin' Buddies ya might jus hafta make yer own. I'm not talking like Frankenstein, rather bringing some tenters 'into the light'.

Have a few friends try out your rig or see what Hennessy has left from their 'scratch, dent and demo sale' and get a spare rig for a 'homeless' buddy.

Also setting up at a campground is a great way to introduce folk to the Hangin' Lifestyle. The people there are already 'outdoorsy' folk and likely to be intrigued. Let them try 'er out, tell them about the forums here and let nature take it's course. I have been seing more of the string hammocks at the campgrounds but these folk might not realize that they can stay in a hammock all night, get a good nights rest and still not get eaten alive.

Get a 100 copies of dejoha's The Ultimate Hang and drop them from a low flying plane onto George St. at 2 A.M. Kinda like WKRP and the turkey give away, just less messy. You could follow up by selling them on the street and when the guy (or gal) wonders what the heck they bought the night before they would have the book as a reference. Ok, maybe stick wit the first two.

Seriously though, those not familiar with the comfort and quick set up of a hammock may have either never considered or disregarded the hammock as being uncomfortable or to 'fiddly'. I had never considered a hammock until I stumbled across Shug's videos while reviewing camp stoves. What intrigued me was the set up time and the comfort. I always woke up sore (bad back) and usually with a headache from being on the damp uncomfortable ground. Those videos and this forum convinced me to purchase my first hammock. I remember seeing a hammock set up at a provincial campground and thinking it looked cool, but uncomfortable and cramped and that it would kill my back,not having any support. I never did actually see the person that had the rig, otherwise I might have come around sooner.

So go forth and be a fisher of hammockers! Tell them of the peace and rest of a comfortable nights sleep and the glory of watching the dawn of a new day from the safe cocoon of a hallowed hammock, free and unfettered by the walls and poles of the misbegotten tent. Pull them up from their soggy ground dwelling ways and have them join us in the warm sunshine amongst the trees and the fresh, free air in the warm and tender embrace of nylon and overstuffed down.

BLUEFIN 774
11-15-2011, 20:52
Still lonely over there I see Bluefin. :( That is terrible. I just found out that I MAY be coming over next summer with a Photo Club I belong to. Destination Gros Morne. Where you located?

Hey easyriver,

I'm in Mount Pearl, just outside St. John's on the opposite end of the island. Gros Morne is a beautiful place. Bring lots of memory cards an batteries for the camera. I think I will have to go to Nova Scotia for one of the group hangs there.

If ya don't have any Hangin' Buddies ya might jus hafta make yer own. I'm not talking like Frankenstein, rather bringing some tenters 'into the light'.

Have a few friends try out your rig or see what Hennessy has left from their 'scratch, dent and demo sale' and get a spare rig for a 'homeless' buddy.

Also setting up at a campground is a great way to introduce folk to the Hangin' Lifestyle. The people there are already 'outdoorsy' folk and likely to be intrigued. Let them try 'er out, tell them about the forums here and let nature take it's course. I have been seing more of the string hammocks at the campgrounds but these folk might not realize that they can stay in a hammock all night, get a good nights rest and still not get eaten alive.

Get a 100 copies of dejoha's The Ultimate Hang and drop them from a low flying plane onto George St. at 2 A.M. Kinda like WKRP and the turkey give away, just less messy. You could follow up by selling them on the street and when the guy (or gal) wonders what the heck they bought the night before they would have the book as a reference. Ok, maybe stick wit the first two.

Seriously though, those not familiar with the comfort and quick set up of a hammock may have either never considered or disregarded the hammock as being uncomfortable or to 'fiddly'. I had never considered a hammock until I stumbled across Shug's videos while reviewing camp stoves. What intrigued me was the set up time and the comfort. I always woke up sore (bad back) and usually with a headache from being on the damp uncomfortable ground. Those videos and this forum convinced me to purchase my first hammock. I remember seeing a hammock set up at a provincial campground and thinking it looked cool, but uncomfortable and cramped and that it would kill my back,not having any support. I never did actually see the person that had the rig, otherwise I might have come around sooner.

So go forth and be a fisher of hammockers! Tell them of the peace and rest of a comfortable nights sleep and the glory of watching the dawn of a new day from the safe cocoon of a hallowed hammock, free and unfettered by the walls and poles of the misbegotten tent. Pull them up from their soggy ground dwelling ways and have them join us in the warm sunshine amongst the trees and the fresh, free air in the warm and tender embrace of nylon and overstuffed down.

Hey Bodhran4me,

All good ideas there. The first two ideas are really good. The book drop at 2 A.M. on George Street, probably not so good...most would be too full to even notice. ;) Most of my buddies have 35 ft travel trailers and 3000 watt generators for weekend "camping" It is hard to convert them. :lol:

I'm sure I can get someone to try a hang. In the meantime I will watch others at the group hangs via video posts here on HF.

BrianWillan
11-15-2011, 22:43
Hey BlueFin

Perhaps you need to think about this in a different light. If you find a group of people that are backpack/hiking campers, first, it might be an easier time to show them the ways of the hammock. I know meetup.com and facebook are good places to find local groups of people.

If your buddies are hauling RV's and have generators and call that camping, HYOH and all, but they may be beyond help in terms of them trying out hammock camping.

Have fun. Can't you convince any of your family (wife/kids/relatives) to join you on a backpacking trip?

Cheers

Brian

BLUEFIN 774
10-19-2012, 19:52
Hey gang,

Apparently I'm not the "Lone Newfoundland Hammock Hanger" anymore. :)

There is another here on the Forum living in Newfoundland. There is a chance of having a Newfoundland hang. :)