PDA

View Full Version : Quick Baffle Question

skar578
11-02-2007, 22:24
I have never used down gear much due to the high level of responsibility. Now seeing the benefits of down shaping to the hammock, I am reconsidering. I just want to make sure i know the difference between having baffles and being sewn through.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff292/skar578/hammock2.jpg

slowhike
11-02-2007, 22:32
your sketches are correct. but when you say "shaping to the hammock" are you talking about an under quilt or an insulated hammock w/ the shell sewn directly to the hammock?
the later can be risky business... sewing to the hammock any where other than the edges.

skar578
11-02-2007, 22:50
i was talking about an underquilt, where the down lofts around the hanger, opposed to primaloft and other synthetic quilts which come in linear yards.

I dont like th idea of insulated hammocks, where you must carry the down, sometimes you might need less, or other times more.

Just Jeff
11-04-2007, 11:23
Yeah - but another hammock costs about $5 to make so the versatility is still there for summertime. JMHO - I'm biased b/c I like mine! :D

The shell design will have a big impact on how the underquilt hugs the bottom of the hammock, too.

skar578
11-05-2007, 11:16
i would be to, but i dont have the funds for all the quilts you have. grr.