PDA

View Full Version : Skeeter Beeter vs. Skeeter Beeter Pro

Buffalo Skipper
09-15-2010, 11:36
G'day all.

I am looking at the GT Skeeter Beeter and GSSB Pro. I am 200# and 6'1". I am wondering if anyone can suggest which may better fit my size. Is the extra 150# buffer worth it? Will the 6" difference in length and width make me more comfortable.

I guess I alone can determine if the extra 8 oz is worth the extra money/comfort/security. But I can ask you for your opinions.

outkastblast
09-15-2010, 14:39
I'm 6'7" and 215lbs (was 252) with the SBPro. It's a bit on the wide side in my opinion. You're far enough away from the upper weight limit of the SB, I'd go with the weight and cost savings.

Mickey.223
09-15-2010, 14:39
I'm a noob myself. But based upon my reading here and in "Hammock Camping" by Ed Speer...here's what I have come up with:

...I am looking at the GT Skeeter Beeter and GSSB Pro. I am 200# and 6'1". I am wondering if anyone can suggest which may better fit my size. Is the extra 150# buffer worth it? /QUOTE]

The static force applied to the supports, the suspension, and the hammock material itself goes up (multiplier) based upon the angle of the suspension relative to the supports. True weight is more dynamic based upon a number of factors so, if I understand it correctly, then yes, the buffer is worth it. Here's the link to the thread/chart: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/7/hammockphysics_original_original.jpg Here is another great chart. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=174812&postcount=18

[QUOTE=Buffalo Skipper;319768]...Will the 6" difference in length and width make me more comfortable. I guess I alone can determine if the extra 8 oz is worth the extra money/comfort/security. But I can ask you for your opinions.

I assume the weight rating is tied to the length...so yes, the 6" would be part and parcel to your weight choice. I'm 5'4" and have an ENO Double Nest that is 9'10". Once I add my peak bag, hang my water bottle on my SRL, and get stuff up and outta my way, I find that it's just the right length. I do have extra room at the foot end, but I imagine another peak bag will soon claim that space. Since you are so tall, I'd imagine the extra length couldn't hurt. Additionally, the wider the hammock the more material for you to get a flat (diagonal) lay. BTW, Amazon has the pro for $59.99 which is the same price for the regular. Campmor has them for like another $20...well worth it to me for comfort and peace of mind. So, if I was 6'1", I would definitely go bigger. Just by noob .02 worth, based upon my own limited (severely) experience and what I've read here. In the end, I don’t really know crap. ;-)

Cheers,
Kyle

wisenber
09-16-2010, 07:40
I'm 6'0 and 200#. I own both. In my experience, the Skeeter Beeter is a bit short for me and is also narrower than the Skeeter Beeter Pro. I just used both again in the past week and noted how much more space was in the Skeeter Beeter Pro. YMMV.

Buffalo Skipper
09-16-2010, 07:51
Thanks all. Looks like I am headed toward the Pro. It still weighs in under 2 lbs, so I guess I cannot complain too much.

wisenber, what suspension and tarp do you use?

wisenber
09-16-2010, 08:09
Thanks all. Looks like I am headed toward the Pro. It still weighs in under 2 lbs, so I guess I cannot complain too much.

wisenber, what suspension and tarp do you use?

I've got all sorts of both. I use my DIY hammock mostly, so the Skeeter Beeters are not my main ones.
As far as a suspension goes, JacksRBetter sells a strap/triglide (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Strap%20Set.htm) package that works well with the s-hooks. It will also work if you change over to a biner on the end.

As far as tarps go. I started off with a Kelty Noah 9 as it is large and relatively inexpensive. It's easy to set up as a diamond needing only a guyline and two stakes. It is heavy (27 ounces) being made of PU coated poly, but that also makes it tougher.

Since then, I've added BackwoodsDayDreamers, Gargoyles, and JRB to my collection. So it really depends on my mood and what the weather looks like before I go out.

Doctari
09-16-2010, 10:03
I'm 5' 7" & the SB (regular) is about as short as I would want a hammock. For ME the longer SB pro is (length wise) more comfortable. I prefer a narrower hammock, but that is ME. Both hammocks are well made, My SB is over 5 years old & has survived my 200 lbs for at least 200 nights a year since I bought it.

wisenber
09-16-2010, 10:15
I'm 5' 7" & the SB (regular) is about as short as I would want a hammock. For ME the longer SB pro is (length wise) more comfortable. I prefer a narrower hammock, but that is ME. Both hammocks are well made, My SB is over 5 years old & has survived my 200 lbs for at least 200 nights a year since I bought it.

It had probably been two years since the last time I used my Skeeter Beeter UL. I tried it earlier this week on a whim. While I "fit" in it fine. I did marvel at how short it is compared to my other hammocks. I don't think I could have gotten sufficiently diagonal if I needed to. Still, it was my first hammock, so it ain't going anywhere.

Buffalo Skipper
09-23-2010, 15:16
Does the SB Pro have tie-outs? This is a narrower hammock than some, and I have heard a few people say it can be "tippy."

rigidpsycho
09-23-2010, 17:11
The SBPro is my hammock of choice. I have never had a problem with it being tippy. I have never had an uncomfortable night sleep in mine.

Buffalo Skipper
09-24-2010, 09:34
Still checking the UPS tracking link. Looks like it is out for delivery, so it should be at my house when I get off work. I don't have any suitable hanging spots at my house, but the place I grew up is 1.5 acres of woodlands on the local bayou. I will be out there first thing in the morning to get it rigged. I'll take a few pics for everyone.

7 hours! :thumbup:

Deadphans
12-28-2010, 22:34
Is the only difference between the Reg and the Pro the load capacity and the weight? So if I was to purchase the Reg I can still expect to see the quality of the Pro? Stitching? Netting, etc. etc. Thanks!

Deadphans
12-28-2010, 22:38
Buffalo how did you like your Pro? I am highly interested in purchasing a skeeter beeter as well. Pro or Reg I am not to sure yet.

Pithy
12-28-2010, 22:44
I have the beeter and wish I had gone with the pro. I'm 5'11" and the reg feels almost too small for me. The difference is not just load capacity, it is also length and width. Get the pro and change out for whoopies and I think you're under the weight of the reg with stock suspension.

wisenber
12-29-2010, 01:19
The Pro is wider and longer. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. I have both, and the plain Skeeter Beeter is a bit short and narrow for me especially when you ad a TQ into the fray.

easy
01-02-2011, 20:34
I have the beeter and wish I had gone with the pro. I'm 5'11" and the reg feels almost too small for me. The difference is not just load capacity, it is also length and width. Get the pro and change out for whoopies and I think you're under the weight of the reg with stock suspension.
Im not sure what whoopies are? What are they?

Deadphans
01-03-2011, 12:40
I am new with whoopies, but saw a few videos so maybe I can newbishly fill you in. They are a different type of suspension which is easily adjustable. All I know is the hammockers who seem to know what they are doing like them a lot...though I am not 100% sure why yet. But I am sure I will figure it out some day haha. Sorry I am not a big help. Possibly weight savings, possibly more reliable, possibly more effective, possibly all the above and then some. ???

http://www.whoopieslings.com/

Buffalo Skipper
01-04-2011, 17:28
Buffalo how did you like your Pro? I am highly interested in purchasing a skeeter beeter as well. Pro or Reg I am not to sure yet.

Sorry to be so long in replying. I now have over a dozen nights in my SB Pro since October, and I love it! wisenber is right that the Pro is larger, and I really like that. I also am 6'1" and 200. I cannot imagine sleeping in anything smaller.

Ask away if you have any questions...

Deadphans
01-06-2011, 17:43
Thanks Skipper! If I have a question I will be sure to ask, thanks again!

Steven

Canadian_Eh
04-08-2011, 02:34
Hey Buffalo,
I've recently put in an order for a SBP (it's on backorder), but I'm looking around for a tarp to use with it. What kind did you end up getting?
REI has 20% off right now for members and was considering getting the Kelty Noah 12. Any other reasonably priced suggestions?

aboyd
04-08-2011, 05:56
I used the Noah 12 with my SBP and it works fine. The Noah 12 is a BIG tarp, but works great as a winter setup. I know Buffalo has a Noah 12 also, but he might have changed now. I also swapped to a AHE Shangri La tarp, but kept the Noah for cold and rainy hangs.

Canadian_Eh
04-08-2011, 10:49
Thanks aboyd!
I think I'll get the 12. It's going to be my first to go along with my first hammock. Can't beat the price for a first timer. I'm also on the west coast of BC, so I'll be seeing a bit of rain up here and have a feeling I will be "living" under the 12 most of the time. Not to mention I'm 6'5" so I think I'll appreciate the size of it.

Buffalo Skipper
04-08-2011, 12:18
Yes, aboyd and I hung out together back in December and we both had the Noah 12. I still have the N12 but I have placed an order for a custom tarp with a local vendor (I will post more as soon as I receive it and test--next weekend). It is a partial cat cut 10x11 made of 1.1 sil. It will have some special features not found on similar tarps.

As I said, I will get the tarp and test next weekend, and post a review then.

Moosehead905
04-15-2011, 13:07
ok guys im on the fence here..seeing i will probably be in this hammock as the Fiance will take the HH explorer deluxe when were out, you guys think the reg.SB would be good for me, im about 5'8'' 180..i dont wanna feel cramped but im not all that big..thanks for any input..gonna order one of them from campmor as soon as i get some feedback. cheers

Buffalo Skipper
04-15-2011, 14:59
For the most part, the bigger, the better. To clarify, the bigger the hammock, the better opportunity to get a flatter lay.

Will you be comfortable in a SB? Sure. Will you be more comfortable in a SB Pro? Maybe.

Disclaimer: I do not have a Skeeter Beeter, only an SB Pro. I am not responsible for comfort levels in any products discussed here, nor do I assume responsibility for weight, suspension, insulation, weather protection, or CBS. YMMV.

Hope that helps. ;)

dammfast
09-29-2011, 09:18
I see this thread has been inactive a while but I have a question that I think you might be able to answer. I currently have the GT Traveler UL. I want a bug net, the BWCA has some nasty skeeters. How does the lay of the SBUL compare to the traveler UL. for $45 buck the SBUL sounds almost too good to be true. I am by no means a weight weenie as most of my hammock use is either on canoe trips, or camping with the family.

Buffalo Skipper
09-29-2011, 11:09
The only GT with which I have any experience is the Skeeter Beeter Pro. Since last October, I have spent 39 nights in this hammock. I cannot say enough good about this hammock. I have modified it slightly, with a ridge line through the bug net, and I have tweaked the set up, and even list night did a little more. It can be used with the bug net, or without the bug net, by flipping it over with the net under the hammock. I have only slept without the net two nights, but will rig it this way tomorrow, when the temps will be down to 50° and below (ie, no bugs). This is just about the longest hammock on the market at 10' 6", though a few others are 6" wider. I get a very comfortable lay in this hammock at 6'1"/195 lbs.

This is a great hammock at a great price. Admitedly I have never seen any other Grand Trunk, so I simply cannot offer any information beyond the SB Pro.

Hope that helps.

Canadian_Eh
10-04-2011, 21:56
Hey Buffalo I'd love to see how you modified it to get a ridge line in there!

Buffalo Skipper
10-05-2011, 13:01
Hey Buffalo I'd love to see how you modified it to get a ridge line in there!

Look at this other thread I have. It pretty much shows how I did this....
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35208

Hope that helps.