PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Clip improvements

Dutch
09-15-2010, 17:21
This notice affects all Dutch Clips sold from 06/17/2010 until 10/13/2010 from Jacks R Better, LLC. If you have Dutch Clips repurchased from a private party and are unsure if they are of this origin, you can weigh them on a gram scale. The subject Dutch Clips weigh 12 grams each. The earlier, heavier Dutch Clips weigh 15 grams each and are not subject to this notice.

It has long been suggested that you put a stitch on the loop side of the webbing close to the retention hook. This will do 2 things. It will prevent the clip from falling off, thereby getting lost, and it prevents the Dutch Clip from rotating, which can put excessive pressure on the retention hook. It has been found that if the Dutch Clip rotates like a “C” and the free end of the webbing is resting solely on the retention hook, the retention hook can break at 600 pounds of pressure. If the retention stitch is in place, the Dutch Clip cannot rotate when there is no weight on the hammock. Then the resulting breakage strength is in excess of 1000 pounds.

To prevent future rotation issues, Dutch Clips have been redesigned to prevent the Dutch Clip from rotating and the retention hook holds 1000 pounds of pressure.

Again, a simple stitch will secure the Dutch Clip and prevent the Dutch Clip from rotating. If you would like your subject Dutch Clips replaced with the new version, however just return them to:

Jacks ‘R’ Better, LLC
200-C Commerce Circle
Yorktown, VA 23693

Include your return address and we will send out replacement parts free of charge. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Your friends,
Dutch and The Jacks

Cannibal
09-15-2010, 17:52
Way to handle it Dutch. :thumbup1:

I believe I've got a couple of clips from that time frame, I'll have to pay attention to my hangs. Nice try, but you aren't going to talk me into sending them back. :tongueup::D

canoebie
09-15-2010, 17:57
Class act gentlemen!! Way to exemplify ethics in business. You have my utmost respect.

Mine have been stitched from the get go. Love em.

slowhike
09-15-2010, 17:59
I stitched mine already. No way it can get into an unintended position (or lost), so I'm good.
IMHO that's about as good as it gets from a maker of ultra lite gear... telling you how to avoid unusual issues & improving the already good product to make it near impossible for it to turn in a wrong position.
Thanks Dutch.

Shewie
09-15-2010, 18:00
That sounds about the time I bought mine from the forum shop but I put three or four stitches in my 1" tree straps straight away. Mainly because I didn't want to drop one in the leaf litter and lose it forever, but also because it makes it easier to hoild it in the right place whilst setting up. I use mine with the u-shape pointing up and have never noticed any rotation.

Cracking bit of kit.

Hawk-eye
09-15-2010, 18:09
Most excellent ... and professional approach ... and nope ya ain't getting my previously stitched ... little silver hooks! Work great and tickled to death with them! Even the newer light weight set. Course now if you have a new modified version ... going to have to at least order me a set of those bad boys for my "Dutch Gear Collection"! ;)

G.L.P.
09-15-2010, 18:16
very easy fix that anyone can do...
thanks for taking the time to Fix the problem Dutch....:D

JayS
09-15-2010, 18:19
Ditto the others - ya ain't gettin' my Dutch Clips back!

Seriously, mine are fine and stitched in. We all appreciate your resolution of the issue. You make a fine business man... and you're easy on the eyes! :lol::lol:

(Sorry, couldn't help it...)

optimator
09-15-2010, 18:35
Mine are 15 grams, right on the money. The originals!:D

Brian in so cal
09-15-2010, 18:48
Should the opening of the dutch clip be up when hanging? I am not sure how these should be sewn.

EDIT: I read the description a couple of times and now understand how they are to be sewn. (old age):blush:

Thumbs up to Dutch:thumbup:

Thanks,
Brian

MAD777
09-15-2010, 18:50
I love my Dutch clips! They are all sewn in and they are going to stay that way :)

It's situations like this that really demonstrate why it's better to buy from the cottage industry instead of the big boxes. I should say, just one of the many reasons!

Dutch
09-15-2010, 18:54
Should the opening of the dutch clip be up when hanging? I am not sure how these should be sewn.

EDIT: I read the description a couple of times and now understand how they are to be sewn. (old age):blush:

Thanks,
Brian

I don't think it matters much but I put the opening on the bottom. Here is a vid showing the stitch location (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecAnqu8sWms). what is important is the loop can't rotate to the thick part of the clip. If you can't remove it form teh hook you should be good to go.

Bubba
09-15-2010, 18:55
Good job on solving a potential issue!

I've had mine stitched since I got them so I think I'll be fine. The webbing I use is fairly stiff (from Warbonnet and AHE). If I used the webbing I got from opie (when he used to own whoopieslings.com) I could see my clips rotating (if not stitched) because that webbing is more supple and can bunch up easier than the other webbing.

KP
09-15-2010, 18:55
I stitched mine so I'm sure that I'm good to go. Thank you for being the honest broker and doing your best to keep us from hitting the ground. Gotta love it. Hangers are an awesome bunch.

Barefoot Child
09-15-2010, 19:09
Good on ya Dutch & the Jacks.

My straps have been sewn since the day I received the clips...and you ain't gettin' them back dude. :D

ikemouser
09-15-2010, 19:11
i was going to switch to the micro threes, in no waybc the dutch clip is ineffective, but simply grams. dcs served me great for a long time, and i may be returning to them if these micros are not as fast

Brian in so cal
09-15-2010, 19:21
I don't think it matters much but I put the opening on the bottom. Here is a vid showing the stitch location (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecAnqu8sWms). what is important is the loop can't rotate to the thick part of the clip. If you can't remove it form teh hook you should be good to go.

Thanks Dutch.

Savage
09-15-2010, 19:25
I didn't see a need to stitch mine on my WB straps. The loop is sufficiently small enough and I haven't had any rotation issues, the webbing is really stiff stuff. I feel safe and sound between two trees hanging with my Dutch Clips.

Great work Dutch. I am glad that you are willing to swap out the clips you find to be suspect. Either way, you can't have mine. I might just have to order some more soon.

John

SmokeBait
09-15-2010, 19:50
My 15 gram Dutch clips are worth their weight in gold to me now :) Dutch, you are the best!

SoundWitness
09-15-2010, 20:09
:thumbup::thumbup:HUGE thumbs up!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for clarifying and standing behind your product.

TheWild
09-15-2010, 20:10
My 15 gram Dutch clips are worth their weight in gold to me now :) Dutch, you are the best!

I just got my 15 gram DCs today after a trade (threw them on the scale as soon as I read this thread :laugh:) ... I'm rich too :D

stormcrow
09-15-2010, 20:22
How classy is THAT? Am I surprised? Nope, not in the slightest. This is just the kind of thing you would expect from our Dutch.

Even though everyone has already said it, I would like to chime in by also saying that my Dutch Clips will never see another owner....unless it is my children and then possible their grandchildren. :lol: I have a set of the limited edition gram weenie ones and they hold be up without fail every night.

Thank you Dutch for your contributions to the forum and your enthusiasm for what we are all about here. From bridge skins to Dutch biners, you are always thinking outside the box!

I look forward to seeing you again in a few weeks!

~Stormcrow

SlowBro
09-15-2010, 20:33
Dohh! I can't weigh my DCs without unstitching them.:scared::D
Oh, well don't have to.
Thanks for the update, Dutch
-Mark

bigbamaguy
09-15-2010, 20:43
Wow................I get home from work today and what do I find???????? Its a USPS envelope and what do I find inside but not one but two newly purchased set of Dutch Clips!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have waited for a long time to purchase these and now I have to give them back............I now see that I will make the DC's face in the bucket position and make a holding stitch in the webbing. I will see if I can find a scale to weigh them tomorrow at work

Hawk-eye
09-15-2010, 20:49
.... I look forward to seeing you again in a few weeks!
~Stormcrow

Hmmm ... I'm starting to get the vibe that my "Alien Technology Conspiracy Theory" maybe more than Guinness induced paranoia :scared:

Could this be a meeting of the clan at the mothership?! :scared:

Where's my aluminum foil hat when I need it? :lol:

gunner76
09-15-2010, 20:49
After one fell off and I had to search the yard to find it, I started hand stiching a knot to hold my Dutch Clips in place so I don't have to worry about losing one again. I used waxed dental floss for thread.

I have an extra set of Dutch Clips just in case (just in case I decide I have to get another hammock) :)

Shug
09-15-2010, 20:54
Just back from a 3 night trip and really put my DC through the paces ....bounced, rolled and danced in the hammock. I watched them as I lay there looking for movement. None.
Mine are stitched as well.......
They will always be with me.
Shug

headchange4u
09-15-2010, 20:55
Dutch,

No one could ask for better service. Kudos.

Knotty
09-15-2010, 21:21
Well done sir.

MedicineMan
09-15-2010, 21:32
pic for those of us trapped in cages and have huge firewalls for videos

Just Jeff
09-15-2010, 21:56
Nice try, Dutch...but you ain't getting my DCs back. Mainly b/c I'm too lazy to cut out the stitches, but also b/c I'm speculating. Gonna trade them in for a new car once the market recovers.

dutins
09-15-2010, 22:50
Can you tell us more about the redesign? Pictures of the new design?

Hogg Tyed
09-16-2010, 05:03
Does this apply to the 1 1/2 inch clips as well?

Quad&Boatcamper
09-16-2010, 05:46
Your not getting mine back Dutch. I would like to know when JRB will be getting more 1.5 inch clips in. I need a set of those.

digrat
09-16-2010, 05:47
Two things while we're on the subject of DCs:

1. Very professional of you, Dutch. Kudos.

2. I'm using a loop sewn into the end of my webbing. It seems light and relatively fast (I've only got about 5' of webbing per side). Why would I add weight and complexity by using a Dutch clip?

That's a genuine question, not a forum troll crawling from under its bridge.

G.L.P.
09-16-2010, 07:39
this is just an Evil plan by Dutch to get all the DC's back...
cause we all know DC's will be the new Currency in the future :lol:

Dutch makes a quality product .... And i will use my DC's for many night to come ...

Thanks for coming up with such a cool product Dutch :thumbup:

Just Jeff
09-16-2010, 08:49
I use DCs so that my entire suspension system stays in one piece...no need to have a separate hugger that I may lose. Also, it's quicker in camp b/c I can just wrap around the hugger and clip it, rather than having to pull it thru the loop. Not much difference, but enough to make it worth carrying the DCs in my kit.

Except now I have to choose between DCs and Dutch's Awesome Biners (DABs)...

Poppabear
09-16-2010, 09:02
Mine are stiched and they are staying that way. The only way anyone will get them from me is to pry them from my cold dead hands!

ikemouser
09-16-2010, 09:08
Just for clarification, are you guys putting your dutch clip as far forward in the loop as you can(snug against the inside) then sewing behind it, or are you putting it in the middle and sewing on both sides?

Just Jeff
09-16-2010, 09:09
Far forward. Otherwise you'll be putting stress on the little stitches that you put in...no reason to bother with stitches that strong.

KefWalker
09-16-2010, 09:15
I received my Dutch Clips last week from JRB, tried them out this past weekend, and really liked how quick I could setup (preaching to the choir here). I'm keeping these and ordering a set for my brother. Quality product and excellent customer service--can't beat that combo!

Peter_pan
09-16-2010, 10:14
Two things while we're on the subject of DCs:

1. Very professional of you, Dutch. Kudos.

2. I'm using a loop sewn into the end of my webbing. It seems light and relatively fast (I've only got about 5' of webbing per side). Why would I add weight and complexity by using a Dutch clip?

That's a genuine question, not a forum troll crawling from under its bridge.

Dutch Clips are all about convienence and speed of set up... Same as the old use of full sized carabiners but at a 40-70 percent weight savings depending on model carabiner.

Nothing wrong with your approach, it does have an extra set up step or two as it requires a two part suspension as opposed to possible single continuous suspensions using the Dcs...

Pan

PS There are many good suspension options out there... Some lighter some heavier than other...Some easier, some faster...But all good... It is nice to have options...IMHO there is no single best way...

digrat
09-16-2010, 16:11
Thanks for the info, Pan. It does seem a bit easier than threading the webbing through the loop... Maybe I'll get around to trying them one of these days.

Trout
09-21-2010, 07:57
Great business practice!

gunner76
09-21-2010, 08:12
Like Just Jeff said, place the DC at the end of the loop. I use waxed Dental Floss to sew the knot. I did it because I had one DC fall out of the loop while taking a hammock down and did not notice it until I went to hang the hammock again and had to search for the clip.

MandyDawn
09-21-2010, 09:18
Being a newbie I am not familiar with all of the knots etc. Looping the webbing through the hole was no biggie, but with the DC it is quicker and easier. My significant other sewed it in and got me all hooked up with the "questionable" DC that he received. Both of us used them on our hang over the weekend with not a single issue. Kudos on letting everyone know that they may be a problem with them. If I end up landing on my butt at 3 am I will be sure to let you know =)