PDA

View Full Version : Directions: Red River Gorge Hang Out Nov. 16-18

headchange4u
11-04-2007, 12:44
I thought I would post the directions to the hang out in it's own thread so it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

I am assuming that you can find your way to the Slade exit off the Mountain Parkway. I am giving the route to the shortest hike in to the camp site. There are longer routes you can take. If you want a longer hike in send me a PM and I will give you directions.

From the Slade exit:

Turn toward the Shell gas station (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Shell&near=Slade,+Ky+40376&ie=UTF8&ll=37.796017,-83.700886&spn=0.047951,0.079823&z=14&iwloc=A&om=1) and Hwy 15 when getting off the exit. Make a right onto Hwy 15 South/East. You will go about 3.5 miles until you see Tunnel Ridge Road on your left (gravel road). Turn left onto Tunnel Ridge and drive about 1 mile until you see the Gray's Arch parking area on your right (point A on the map).

After parking at Gray's Arch, walk out of the parking lot and turn left on Tunnel Ridge Road and walk about 100 yards and you will see the Sheltowee Trace your left (Trail 100, point H on the map). Take the Sheltowee Trace until you come to a fork in the trail. You want to take the left fork onto Rush Ridge Trail (Trail 227, point O on the map). Follow Rush Ridge for about a mile and you will come to the Rough Trail (Trail 221, point D on the map). Make a right onto Rough Trail. Not long after hiking on Rough Trail you will come to a steep rock. Be careful here. Trail continues straight after rock. Follow it downhill until you come to a creek. This is the location of the hang out.

RRG use white diamond blazes except for the Sheltowee Trace which uses a turtle.

GPS Waypoints:

A = Gray's Arch Parking Lot = 37.80808 N 83.65621 W
H = Tunnel Ridge Rd/Sheltowee = 37.80724 N 83.65621 W
O = Sheltowee/Rush Ridge = 37.80767 N 83.65327 W
D = Rush Ridge/Rough Trail = 37.81917 N 83.64659 W
Camp site = 37.81554 N 83.64133 W

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TrailMap005.jpg

A group of us will be meeting at the Shell Station, right off the Slade exit, at about 1:00 p.m. on Friday. Plan for night time temps in the low 30's, possibly upper 20's.

Be sure to pick up an overnight back country pass at the shell station (about $3.00).

If you have any questions send me a PM.

Doctari
11-04-2007, 15:12
Great directions!!

I was just down @ RRG (I really NEEDED a solo hike!) & was in a similar valley; same orientation creeks & etc, The temp didn't get below freezing, but I was C O L D AM the next day (Fri nite, Sat AM) so come prepared!!! Thankfully, I did.

Looks like I MAY be able to come Fri & Sat.

Doctari.

headchange4u
11-04-2007, 15:36
Looks like I MAY be able to come Fri & Sat.

Doctari.

That's great!!!!

Who else is pretty sure they are gonna make it and what days do you plan on attending? I would like to get a rough head count.

I wouls still like to do the hot dog dinner on Saturday night. As I said in the planning thread, I will bring the hot dogs. We'll als need:

Hot Dogs - headchange4u
Buns - hooch
Paper Plates (burnable) - Cerberus
condiments - skskinner
side items - Doctari
chips - ridgepsycho
desert - GrizzlyAdams

What else?

As mentioned there is also a fire ban in the RRG at the moment. We have had some rain in the past few weeks and things weren't that dry when I went on a day hike last week. It was kinda damp in the valleys. I think we may be able to build a small fire to cook with as long as we keep an eye on it. Honestly I can't imagine not having at least a small fire at night to sit around. I will still bring my wood burning stove just in case.;) :D

rigidpsycho
11-04-2007, 16:51
I should be able to come and if I do I will bring chips. What kind does everyone like. I will be getting them for free(getting them from Friend who work for Frito Lay) He is gonna give me enough for at least 10 people. I will be coming down sometime early Saturday.

Nest
11-04-2007, 17:26
I'll be there the whole weekend, and meeting at the Shell Station. Guess I will bring the plates unless someone already has them.

Hooch
11-04-2007, 17:26
Who else is pretty sure they are gonna make it and what days do you plan on attending? I would like to get a rough head count.

You know I'm going to be there. :D Wouldn't miss this for the world! I'm getting all excited that I get to hang in the backcountry 2 weekends in a row! Boo-ya! (Insert dancing banana here!) I'll bring the buns, so mark me down. HC, U still riding with me? If you are, I'll get up with you to figure out a time to pick you up to head down to the Gorge. See y'all there! :D BTW, thanks for starting this tread, most excellent idea!

headchange4u
11-04-2007, 17:38
I edited the list above to reflect the items people volunteered to bring.

Hooch,
Still riding with you.

rigidpsycho,
I'll eat any kind of chips. The best kind are free.... :D

Hooch
11-04-2007, 17:42
I edited the list above to reflect the items people volunteered to bring.

Hooch,
Still riding with you.

rigidpsycho,
I'll eat any kind of chips. The best kind are free.... :D Cool, I'll shoot you a PM or give you a call after I get back from my section in NC with DevilDoc. I don't see the edit on the list, didn't take maybe?

headchange4u
11-04-2007, 18:01
List is now fixed.

Doctari
11-04-2007, 18:44
OK, provided I have gas money :rolleyes: Im in :D :D

Don't know what to bring food wise tho. At Mt Rogers the tater salad & cole slaw were,,, chilly. Maybe a thermos of Soup? I got a BIG thermos, I think. Or maybe a few 2 ltr bottles of soda??

GrizzlyAdams
11-04-2007, 19:27
I'll be there Friday and Saturday night. I'll bring dessert .

Grizz

NCPatrick
11-04-2007, 19:31
Hmmm... things are beginning to look a little dicey for me (long story interesting only to me). If I can still come, I can bring the ketchup.

Mule
11-11-2007, 02:07
That's great!!!!

I wouls still like to do the hot dog dinner on Saturday night. As I said in the planning thread, I will bring the hot dogs. We'll als need:

Hot Dogs - headchange4u
Buns - hooch
Paper Plates (burnable) - Cerberus
condiments - NcPatrick (ketchup maybe)
side items - Doctari
chips - ridgepsycho
desert - GrizzlyAdams

What else?

As mentioned there is also a fire ban in the RRG at the moment. We have had some rain in the past few weeks and things weren't that dry when I went on a day hike last week. It was kinda damp in the valleys. I think we may be able to build a small fire to cook with as long as we keep an eye on it. Honestly I can't imagine not having at least a small fire at night to sit around. I will still bring my wood burning stove just in case.;) :D
I would like to bring something too, any ideas? Looks like most of the main stuff is listed. Maybe more hot dogs, whatever. Please give me some hints, as long as it doesn't weigh over 40 pounds.
Mule

Buckybuck
11-11-2007, 06:41
Won't be there, but I was there a couple of weeks ago. May be old news to you, but here's a link to a downloadable Garman format topo map of the area:

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/RRGTopo.htm

Mule
11-11-2007, 10:28
I am planning on being there. Is the plan to stay Friday and Saturday nights? I am that new guy who has trouble keeping the entrance to my HH on the bottom.

rigidpsycho
11-11-2007, 10:58
I'm also gonna bring a freezer bag of homemade chili that we can use on the dogs.

Hooch
11-11-2007, 17:30
I would like to bring something too, any ideas? Looks like most of the main stuff is listed. Maybe more hot dogs, whatever. Please give me some hints, as long as it doesn't weigh over 40 pounds.
Mule Since NCPatrick isn't able to come, you could bring the condiments if you like. I guess ketchup, mustard, etc would be just fine. :D

Mule
11-11-2007, 17:59
Hooch, thanks, I will. Also I will bring onions if no one else is. Hey, not that it will make a difference, but how old are the hikers that are going this weekend. You know, I am almost 61. I may have to catch up with you while you all hike at your pace. That's cool. Steve

Mule
11-11-2007, 18:00
And also, how many are going? I am guessing somewhere around a dozen? Mule

Nest
11-11-2007, 20:11
Hooch, thanks, I will. Also I will bring onions if no one else is. Hey, not that it will make a difference, but how old are the hikers that are going this weekend. You know, I am almost 61. I may have to catch up with you while you all hike at your pace. That's cool. Steve

You can keep Hooch company at the rear.:D

Hooch
11-12-2007, 04:50

And also, how many are going? I am guessing somewhere around a dozen? Mule
There is a nice age range, mostly between 30-60 or so. Cerberus is our young buck, so he goes sprinting ahead of everyone to show off anyway. :p No sweat though, I'm sure we'll keep a pretty leisurely pace to the site. Even if we don't, I never leave a brother Marine behind. :D I'm sure HC has a better head count than I do, but I'm guessing around 10 or so, give or take a couple. See ya there!

Mule
11-12-2007, 07:34
Thanks Hooch. I'm looking forward to it. I have also read Thich Nhat Hahn a bit. So, you are a Marine! Happy Birthday Devil Dog.
The age range you describe makes me completely comfortable about the group. For some odd reason I have been imagining everyone as young, extremely athletic and to look something like, oh, say....Mark Spitz or someone resembling SpiderMan, but I look like a slightly heavy-set Walter Brennan, :D No, really, thanks. :) Mule

headchange4u
11-12-2007, 09:58
Yeah I think we may be looking at about 10 people or so throughout the weekend. There is usually a mix of ages at gatherings like this. The hike in should be pretty easy and level until Rough Trail, and then it will be downhill. Since we are camping in a valley, hiking out is up hill either way. :D\

Doctari,

You gonna be able to make it?

Mule
11-12-2007, 10:56
headchange4u
You are not going to believe what I just did... I am having some quilts sent to me from Jacks are Better. They should be here before I leave and in time for me to play with them here at home. This puts to rest all my questions about how to stay warm. The weekend after I am going to do the first 70 miles of the AT. :D

headchange4u
11-12-2007, 11:03
headchange4u
You are not going to believe what I just did... I am having some quilts sent to me from Jacks are Better. They should be here before I leave and in time for me to play with them here at home. This puts to rest all my questions about how to stay warm. The weekend after I am going to do the first 70 miles of the AT. :D

That's great. JRB makes some really nice products. What's model(s) did you get? I'll show you how to install and adjust them at the hang out.

headchange4u
11-12-2007, 11:04
BTW,

Is someone bring a thermometer so we can record the temps?

Hooch
11-12-2007, 11:08
headchange4u
You are not going to believe what I just did... I am having some quilts sent to me from Jacks are Better. They should be here before I leave and in time for me to play with them here at home. This puts to rest all my questions about how to stay warm. The weekend after I am going to do the first 70 miles of the AT. :D Cool, what models did you get? Looking foreard to seeing them this weekend.

BTW,

Is someone bring a thermometer so we can record the temps? I've got one, but it's not recording, just a good old fashioned mercury pack thermometer, so nothing fancy. I went to J&H this morning to get shock cord, bought 20', just in case. I was going to buy my permit there, but they were out of 3 day permits. I'll pop by on Thursday or Friday on my way out of town to see if they have any in yet. If they don't I'll just get mine at Natural Bridge Shell with the rest of the gang.

Ewker
11-12-2007, 11:08
Not that anyone cares but I am out

headchange4u
11-12-2007, 11:22
Not that anyone cares but I am out

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it. You having your hernia operation?

Hooch
11-12-2007, 11:29
Not that anyone cares but I am outDon't be such a pessimist. Actually, I'm very sorry that you won't be able to make it, particularly in light that this whole hernia thing will take away your next couple hikes. Maybe next time, Ewker. All things said, I hope all goes well, you have an uncomplicated postoperative course and are back on the trail as soon as possible. :D

Mule
11-12-2007, 11:44
Cool, what models did you get? Looking foreard to seeing them this weekend.

I've got one, but it's not recording, just a good old fashioned mercury pack thermometer, so nothing fancy. I went to J&H this morning to get shock cord, bought 20', just in case. I was going to buy my permit there, but they were out of 3 day permits. I'll pop by on Thursday or Friday on my way out of town to see if they have any in yet. If they don't I'll just get mine at Natural Bridge Shell with the rest of the gang.
I got the NEST and the NO SNIVELER and four, two sets, of tarp tensioners.
I have an Integral Designs 8 X 10 tarp too that I thought I would bring instead of the small one that comes with the Ultralite Backpacker. What do you think? The big one?

headchange4u
11-12-2007, 11:47
Bigger tarps are always better, IMHO.

Mule
11-12-2007, 11:48
That's great. JRB makes some really nice products. What's model(s) did you get? I'll show you how to install and adjust them at the hang out.
The NO Sniveler and the Nest. Gaud, I love this gear..I have had gear-lust all my life. Now I can loan out my various mats and bags to my son who won't be able to get a Nest for some time. Thanks for the help in setting it up. That's on ene of the big reasons I am coming. I plan to do the first 70 of the AT starting on the following weekend. I am also bringing an 8 x 10 tarp instead of the smaller on that came with the HH UBackpacker. Oh, I am bringing the condiments now too. Mule

Mule
11-12-2007, 11:51
Mule
McPatrick isn't going to make it so I will bring the condoms, I mean condiments! Does anyone play the harp that is coming? Mule

Hooch
11-12-2007, 11:52
I got the NEST and the NO SNIVELER and four, two sets, of tarp tensioners.
I have an Integral Designs 8 X 10 tarp too that I thought I would bring instead of the small one that comes with the Ultralite Backpacker. What do you think? The big one?
Sounds like you've got a good setup on the way to you. I've never used any JRB stuff, but from everything I've heard their stuff is exceptionally well made and their customer service in da bomb. I'm borrowing a JRB UQ from HC for this weekend, so I guess I'll get to give an opinion on it as well. You know those self-tensioning lines are easily made with shock cord. Granted, I don't use them since I followed the cue of Cerberus and went to Figure 9's on my Groundhog stake loops. Anyway, if it were me I'd go with the larger tarp, you don't have far to hike with it and you never know when the extra coverage will come in handy.

Ewker
11-12-2007, 12:43
Hooch and headchange4U, I go tomorrow to see the surgeon with CT scan in hand. From what I have heard I will probably be out of action 6-8 weeks after the surgery. Totally ticks me off since this is the best time of the yr to backpack.

You guys have fun

Hooch
11-12-2007, 12:50
Totally ticks me off since this is the best time of the yr to backpack. I'm finding that out, love it, too! Anyway, good luck with the surgery/surgeon and hope everything turns out ok for you Ewker.

Hooch
11-12-2007, 17:27
OK, provided I have gas money :rolleyes: Im in :D :D

Don't know what to bring food wise tho.
I'll buy ya a tank of gas if you need me to. :D Bring what ya want, we'll eat it! :eek:

headchange4u
11-14-2007, 11:01
I got my Speer Winter Tarp yesterday and Ed sent me a copy of his "Hammock Camping" book. I forgot to tell him that I already have a copy, but the one he sent me is signed so that's cool. If I remember, I will bring my extra copy to the RRG hang out and pass it along to someone else. Maybe we can have some sort of contest, raffle, or fight to the death and I will give the book to the winner. ;)

Manach
11-14-2007, 12:59
Maybe we can have a fight to the death and I will give the book to the winner.

Hammocks, camping, and hand to hand combat?! I can't believe I'm missing this!

Hooch
11-14-2007, 16:22
Maybe we can fight to the death and I will give the book to the winner. ;) Don't get me wrong, I like Ed and all bu tI don't know if I'm willing to fight to the death for an autographed copy of his book. Besides, I already have a copy of his book. Can't we just thumb wrestle or something?

GrizzlyAdams
11-14-2007, 16:50
well lemme see, HC4U has two copies, Hooch has one, I have one....it's looking like Cerberus vs Mule. My money goes on age and experience. Two men into the HH Explorer. One man out. Mule knows how to navigate in that thing upside down :)

Grizz

Hooch
11-14-2007, 17:02
It's looking like Cerberus vs Mule. My money goes on age and experience. Two men into the HH Explorer. One man out. Mule knows how to navigate in that thing upside down :)

Grizz I'm with you, Grizz, my money is on Mule. My rule for betting on fights to the death: don't bet against a Vietnam Vet and NEVER bet against a Marine! :D

headchange4u
11-14-2007, 17:11
Big E and ridgepsycho,

Sorry you guys can't make it. RS I hope everything goes well for your daughter.

Catch up with you next time.

Mule
11-14-2007, 19:21
You are all funny as ^(#&.!
The problem with Marines is that they don't know when to quit, as has been illustrated in my inability to refuse to buy anything that comes into a backpacking store. I do not have a copy of the book, however, and fighting for it would be a novel idea rather than buying it...
That night when I turned on my head lamp and saw the bottom opening on top, I thought for a moment that I was Batman. Hanging upside down would be more interesting that having your hammock upside down. I don't know how I didn't rip the bug net right out of it. Anyway, it's likely to happen again this trip so keep your cameras on FLASH.
One if the "Jacks" called me today to apologize. One of his new hires did not sent the quilts overnight but rather Priority mail. No problem. *#&% happens. I will get to test the Super Shelter anyway. If I had the quilts (and they actually may get here tomorrow) I would probably never give the SS a good testing.
I have an Oware large 3/16 foam pad, and an SPE from Speer with just the 1/4 inserts. I have a BA insulated pad and BA Lost Ranger. Which one do you Hanging-Veterans suggest I bring if the quilts don't arrive?
Now you know what the approved first aid is for hypothermia don't you? I was once with my best friend in Colorado. He was on a diet and didn't bring hardly any food and got hypothermia at about 11,000 feet where we camped.
(Knowing it is recommended to get into the sleeping bag with the victim got me cooking every bit of food I had and all the hot chocolate too). I kept feeding him hot stuff. Had he asked me what I would do if the hot food and drink didn't work, I was going to have to tell him he was going to die! But to know I would carry his pack and other nice pieces of gear down the mountain with me as a memory.
Now I am telling this story to be sure you all bring extra food and drink for me if this SS is a bust! ;)
Mule

Nest
11-14-2007, 19:35
Why's everyone betting against me? Besides, no fight to the death necessary. I'll just grab the book and out run all you old farts.:D

headchange4u
11-14-2007, 20:20
Why's everyone betting against me? Besides, no fight to the death necessary. I'll just grab the book and out run all you old farts.:D

Looks like you are the only one who doesn't own a copy of the book. It's kinda yours by default so no violence necessary.:p

EDIT: Sorry I now re-read that Mule doesn't have the book. Game on.

Interesting side note.
I gave three choices, raffle, contest, or the fight to the death. Funny how everyone seemed to gravitate toward the violent option. That says something psychologically, I'm sure.:p ;) :D :p

Mule
11-14-2007, 20:21
That's the spirit! I will flip you for it. Have you practiced falling down lately?
Mule

rigidpsycho
11-14-2007, 20:22
you guys are cracking me up. wish I was going to be there.

Ewker
11-14-2007, 20:28
Cerberus, I have two. If you want one it I will bring it tomorrow night, assuming that you will show up and not pull a Rain Man :eek:

Nest
11-14-2007, 20:30
Looks like you are the only one who doesn't own a copy of the book. It's kinda yours by default so no violence necessary.:p

Interesting side note.
I gave three choices, raffle, contest, or the fight to the death. Funny how everyone seemed to gravitate toward the violent option. That says something psychologically, I'm sure.:p ;) :D :p

Mule doesn't have a copy either. Raffles and contests are boring. Fights to the death are fun.

That's the spirit! I will flip you for it. Have you practiced falling down lately?
Mule

I have fallen from a failed knot, but haven't flipped yet.

GrizzlyAdams
11-14-2007, 20:35
Mule--with me and two hammocking sons, I've got at least three of everything. If your quilts don't show up tomorrow and you want to use an underquilt, let me know and I'll bring one along for you to use.

Grizz

Mule
11-14-2007, 20:55
Mule--with me and two hammocking sons, I've got at least three of everything. If your quilts don't show up tomorrow and you want to use an underquilt, let me know and I'll bring one along for you to use.

Grizz
THAT IS SO NICE OF YOU GRIZZLY, Thanks, but I think I will be ok with the SS and I am bringing my 1.3 pound Atom sleeping bag to put under the hammock, foam pad and space blanket if needed. I probably didn't really need the quilts, but paying attention to many of your comment on many threads, you old-timers must know what is good and you all have them.
Thank you kindly anyway.
Mule

Nest
11-14-2007, 21:14
Mule, do you like that Beach Boys Song? I have it on the MP3 player on my phone, and can play it for the entire hike in for you if you want. Just set it on repeat, and we can listen to Kokomo for hours!!!

Mule
11-14-2007, 21:57
Sounds good. How much water are you all carrying in? Water at campsite?
Mule

headchange4u
11-14-2007, 22:19
Grizz,

You bringing your bridge hammock to this outing? I have yet to see that type of hammock in the flesh.

GrizzlyAdams
11-14-2007, 22:40
Grizz,

You bringing your bridge hammock to this outing? I have yet to see that type of hammock in the flesh.

Absolutely. This will be its coming out party into polite company.

hmmm

well its coming out party anyway.

Grizz

FanaticFringer
11-14-2007, 23:23

hmmm

Grizz

Hey Grizz maybe one day us bridge hammock users can stay here:D
http://hammockbridge.com/home/

Nest
11-14-2007, 23:24
Sounds good. How much water are you all carrying in? Water at campsite?
Mule

On the other thread they said there was a water source there. So everyone else is just carrying enough for the hike in. So I guess bring a filter or water treatment if you want. I would bring something because of the drought.

Nest
11-14-2007, 23:36
Just thought of something. That SHell gas station we are meeting at at 1 pm. What time zone is it there?

Mule
11-14-2007, 23:37
Thanks, That's nice we will have water.

GrizzlyAdams
11-14-2007, 23:38
Hey Grizz maybe one day us bridge hammock users can stay here:D
http://hammockbridge.com/home/

will have to put in as one of the options for the Annual HF Winter Hang.

"All you who want to risk hypothermia on Mt. Rogers for the third year in a row raise your digit-challenged frostbitten hands. OK, those for a hang in a tropical paradise, raise your fist clutching a liter-sized piņa colada",

slam duņk.

Grizz

GrizzlyAdams
11-14-2007, 23:40
Just thought of something. That SHell gas station we are meeting at at 1 pm. What time zone is it there?

That's EST. I cross from CST to EST going from Illinois to Indiana.

Grizz

Mule
11-14-2007, 23:40
Good question. We in Indiana never really know what time it is, we change so much. Here in Indiana it is 11:40 PM. What time will that be at the Shell?

Hooch
11-15-2007, 08:19

hmmm

Grizz So quick to correct yourself. Have you no faith in our "city manners"? :D

GrizzlyAdams
11-15-2007, 13:14
So quick to correct yourself. Have you no faith in our "city manners"? :D

well my apologies then. I've be sure to pack my dinner jacket for the hot dog banquet. ;)

Speaking of which, since our chip guy isn't coming, I'll bring some fat-fried sodium encrusted vegetable slices.

Grizz the health nut

rigidpsycho
11-15-2007, 14:14
hey grizz

I'll bring them to our next hang at the gorge.

Hooch
11-15-2007, 17:02
For those who are attending the RRG Hang tomorrow, I'll see you all there. I'm on the way to work for the night shortly, so I'm outa here. HC, see you a little after 11 and I hope everyone has a safe trip, see y'all around 1300 or so at Natural Bridge Shell. Look for my gray Toyota Matrix with the HF decal in the rear window. :D

Mule
11-15-2007, 17:52
My Cell phone number is 765-614-0500.
If anyone is taking a phone at least for the drive down, here's a number that could hook us up in case someone gets lost. (probably me!)
Mule

Mule
11-15-2007, 23:57
On the way in a few hours, See you all there.
Mule