PDA

View Full Version : What don't you like about the ENO DN?

natureboy68
09-17-2010, 22:57
with all the posts glowing about the ENO DN-which is great!
what are some negatives about the DN? besides the obvious suspension, which is easily swapped out...gander mountain has the double for $59.99 might pick one up to test out, get some ides before i DIY...after my walmart "equip" debacle, hopefully this will be a little bit higher quality?

mercop
09-17-2010, 23:00
It is my first and only hammock. I sleep in it in my yard a few days a week and used it all week at Scout camp this summer. I don't have anything bad to say, take into consideration that I have nothing to compare it too. I am just glad that it holds all 300 lbs of me.- George

nacra533
09-18-2010, 07:34
It was my first, before making many DIYs. I still use it a lot. It is very comfortable due to its size. I don't know of any negatives that are not easily fixed.

I added ring buckles to mine to use strap suspension. I had to re-tie the black line at the end to allow the ring buckles. This is how the knot is tied. It looks confusing, but it's really just 2 loops and a slip knot on the end.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/4/6/8/img_0243_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=10670&c=member&imageuser=3468)

For "real" camping, I prefer to use a black bishop sack, but have not made one for it. If I do, I will cut the stock stuff sack off.

When it's very windy, it tends to flap a lot because it's large. It's pretty easy to put a hand or foot on the offending part of the hammock to stop it.

The ENO bugnet is heavy and does not setup quickly, especially if you have an UQ. All of your UQ adjustments have to be made through the zipper. I would pass on it if you are capable of making your own. The net is very well made.

anthonysaudiojournal
09-18-2010, 08:18
I've had mine for a few months now and got the ENO Doublenest on sale at R.E.I. for$49.00. I swapped out the suspension for Whoopie Slings and attach them with Tree Huggars from AHE. I also bought a pair of Jacks R Better Dutch Clips. The whole setup works great.

I also have a Hennessy Exped Assym with a 2QZQ Zipper Mod that is my go to overnight camping hammock. The Eno is mainly my dayhike hammock because it's sooo tiny and there's just no excuse for not taking it. It's basically the size of a grapefruit. I got so tired of taking breaks sitting in the dirt.
I don't know if I would do a real backwoods hang with it, although I guess you could. The lack of bugnet and tarp would be an issue. If you had a decent sized tarp it would probably be just fine.

One last thing, the hang angle is more critical. At first I had it strung too tight and it just didn't lay right. I hung it with more sag and it's great now.

mercop
09-18-2010, 09:40
I put a USGI bug net ($10) over it. It was plenty big enough. I just put elastic around the end and bunched it up. Also used a GI Issue poncho before getting my tarp.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/mercop/IndependenceDayScoutCamp294.jpg?t=1280276200

nine16ths
09-18-2010, 09:54
I'd say that ENO stuff is well-built at the expense of weight. I specifically bought an ENO set-up to start with because of that, but then I'm not an UL hiker/backpacker.

I can't say that I dislike anything about the DN; I like it for what it is: a huge! gathered-end. The only reason not to get one if you're going to get a good price is if you want features that it doesn't offer.

natureboy68
09-18-2010, 19:10
i did it! i pulled the chute and got the ENO DN!
first thing i will do is swap out the suspension for tree straps, marlin spike/toggle and whoppie slings, i have an el cheapo 8x10 poly tarp, and this time of year i wont need a bug net...just gotta figure out some insulation choices...

Trooper
09-18-2010, 19:25
Nothing wrong with an ENO Double. I'm sure you'll love it as is, and the new suspension will only help. It is my favorite hammock for the back yard, and the stuff sack holds a beer. For camping though, the Warbonnet Blackbird is in the pack.

For insulation, try a CCF pad. Lots of options from the simple blue ones or military versions in OD green. I like the Thermarest Ridgerest-the large is wider which helps in a hammock.

nine16ths
09-18-2010, 20:30
...For camping though, the Warbonnet Blackbird is in the pack.

For insulation, try a CCF pad. Lots of options from the simple blue ones or military versions in OD green. I like the Thermarest Ridgerest-the large is wider which helps in a hammock.

Trooper, do you use the Thermarest Ridgerest in your WBBB?

Trooper
09-18-2010, 20:38
Trooper, do you use the Thermarest Ridgerest in your WBBB?

Only once. It worked fine, but I've got an underquilt now.

gunner76
09-19-2010, 18:59
I just came back from the Hot Springs Hang and Hoop Cheese used his and said it worked just fine for him.

chiefams
09-19-2010, 19:50
for $60 I'd look into the warbonnet traveler. I liked the lay better (as compared to a singlenest) plus it already has the suspension with it. my 2 cts

coolkayaker1
09-21-2010, 13:37
The DN has too much fabric for one person, in my opinion, even laying diagonally, it's too much 'flap", as others (Big Jim, et al) have posted about here. Loads of flapping fabric hitting you in the face. Good for two, though, as my wife and I use it together. I prefer the ENo single nest for one person.

That said. I concur with chief--I'd get a WB Traveller any day over a ENO DN again.

Cannibal
09-21-2010, 13:49
I hate to say it publicly, but Genuine Draft prefers the TrekLight and ENO Doubles to anything else I have. That, sadly, includes her Blackbird and Traveler. :confused: Neither of us are bothered by the 'loose' material. Probably because the hammocks we sleep in at home are wider still than the Doubles, so we're used to wide hammocks. Honestly, we don't notice the extra material at all. I assume it's due to the very hard diagonal we sleep on normally. It's also very nice when we do want to sleep in the same hammock to be able to do so with relative comfort in the Doubles.

Still, that is probably the most common complaint about the double sized hammocks. Just isn't an issue in my world, but I'm far from somebody that is considered 'normal'. :cool:

I'd probably be more inclined to list their weight as my biggest issue with them. For backpacking, they are on the heavier side.

Jerry
09-21-2010, 14:06
I have an ENO SN and love it, I made a bug net and use a wallyworld tarp ( for now ) never had problems with it at all....spent a week on the KT with it over the spring....would do it again....

Jerry the Hiker

Just Jeff
09-21-2010, 14:43
The suspension is obvious, but very easy to change out so I wouldn't really count that either.

I was ok with the extra material, but I didn't think it was needed to get the flat lay. And if it's not needed, then why carry it?

The main reason I got rid of mine is b/c I just didn't find it as comfortable as my $4 DIY models. It's a great hammock, but I was expecting a little more since it's so popular here, and it didn't pan out for me.

spidennis
09-26-2010, 10:16
Usually the extra material on the double isn't a problem, unless I'm in the wind.

During the Texas Water Safari I was at the finish line at Sea Drift and had the double eno strung up over the pick-a-nick table under one of the small pavillions. It was really blowin' hard and I got whipped to death! It was tough getting any sleep but I did mange it, some. Should have broke out the blackbird instead, but it was hot and the skitters were blown back into whatever cover so I thought the eno was perfect, and it would have been, if it was a bit calmer, but then the skitters would have been out .....

gunner76
09-26-2010, 12:59
The DN has too much fabric for one person

For me its just fine. But I am a big guy. I have spend many an afternoon "conducting sleep tests" in my back yard. Of course I am laying in it at an angle (feet on on side and head towards the other.

Flackfizer
09-26-2010, 19:07
I have an ENO DN and it is pretty nice. The flaps don't bother me since I just use them as a sort of blanket. I have two mods though. One was mentioned earlier and that was swapping the heavy cheap rope end ties for a good amsteel whoopie. The second was getting out the old seam ripper and pulling off the heavy strap and buckle that cinches tight the stuff sack. It offends my moderate light/ultralight sensibilities.

Soular
10-03-2010, 19:12
My biggest complaint was with the terribad slap straps that I originally bought with is. Yes, I know this is not a stock option, but the straps in general were by biggest complaint. Easy enough to rectify though, I ordered extra suspension straps when I ordered my wbbb. Problem solved. My DN is by farmy most oft used hammock.

coolkayaker1
10-06-2010, 00:59
...I still use one. Even in Gunner's nice photos above, I find with too much fabric for my taste (I also have to put my arms behind my head just to keep it out of my face, and of course, diagnonal lies are mandatory in a hammock--seems not to help much in a DN). Something about the extra fabric is way up on the sides, i.e. the gathered end curves it way up so it becomes hard to manage. If the extra fabric were flatter (for instance in a wide spreader bar type hammock), it'd be very manageable and useful. That's my idea of it, owning both DN and SN.

That said, I do use it for certain circumstances. Here's Mrs. Coolkayaker1 reading cross-wise on an ENo DN this summer--we take bicycle-built-for-two rides (aka tandem Trek aluminum) all summer in Chicagoland and find a good hang here and there, even in the parks. (P.S. Yep, those are good old Slap Strap Pros. The stretchy thangs!)

TheHangingTechy
01-12-2011, 10:51
I've had my eno double for about 8 months. It was my first. i bought it for packability and ease of use. Although i would not take it camping. It is just not the right combination of systems IMO. A side note, set up an ENO and/or an HH or other bugnet attached style hammock and see which one attracts more police attention. People do think you are a hobo camping out in nice scenic spots. In the ENO that is less of an issue.

I say less because i have had police called on me before for reading in a park near my house in broad daylight. Person thought i was setting up a tent. Its a day hike use only fo rme. Campus, home, travels. No overnights.

Things I hate:
Stock Carabiners....Should have an option to ship sans 'biners
Suspension (never bought but is terrible)

Mods:
Whoopie Slings coming in the mail soon.
SRL of paracord

Other than that it fits my current needs just find.

Tbull55
01-12-2011, 14:35
I love my DN, of couse I have compared it to nothing. The kids like it also!

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Tbull55/hammock3.jpg

Tbull

Ryvr
01-12-2011, 14:39
Love my ENO DN only complaints besides the obvious would be the floppy sides. (easily remedied with some tie outs) and the fact the material is not ripstop. Somehow I just feel safer in ripstop :).

gunner76
01-12-2011, 17:45
No hammock is "right" for everyone, thats why we have different styles to choose from.

While I love my ENO DN, I would rather camp out in my BB. I also have a Grand Trunk Double Parachute that I use ( I do find the ENO fabric is a bit more confortable that the Grand Trunk ). I agree the stock suspension on the ENO (and Grand Trunk) is a waste and I removed it and changed it out with Amsteel and Ultra Light Chich Buckles from Arrowhead, polyester straps from Strapworks and Dutch Clips.

Of course what ever hammock is set up, my wife or sons will get in (I think they do it just so I have to set up another hammock)

Red Wing
01-12-2011, 21:29
I started on a cheapo grand trunk ultrilight for 20 bucks from sportsmans guide, that started all of this actually. After getting my own (After highjacking my hiking buddies ona dayhike) and doing a few overights with it, I found I need a huge test. I don't just lay there when I sleep, I toss and turn and fuss. One night just rolling over onto my side I heard my Grand Trunk start to rip, just for a second, probablymore stretching than anything but needless to say, it's hard to sleep worrying about falling.

The doublenest took all that worry away for me. I like that I can give it hell while I'm sleeping and it never makes a sound. Love the parachute material, the feel definitely makes you believe the 400lb test rating and I love the extra fabric so I can use it more like a recliner during the day and not have to take my shoes on and off getting all the way in.

I'm not %100 sold on whoopies since I haven't seen them in use in person and hangin myself with suspension looped over a couple knots makes me nervous, so I got some climbing grade aluminum 'beeners but I also planned on using them for reppelling as well so they serve more than one purposefor me.

In fact, I was considering getting another just to have for whoever decides to brave the wilds with me when I go out. My grand trunks have always been a hit, when they get in the DN, it's all over.

Gumbo
01-13-2011, 14:30
When I first started looking into hammock camping, I decided to purchase an ENO one link system with a doublenest hammock, mostly because it was complete setup but with separate components and packed down really well. Weight was never an issue since I'm only ever going to be carrying it from the car to the kayak.

I'm not heavy and have had no issues with stretching slapstraps. I do have whoopie slings that have not been put to use yet though.

I don't anything to compare it to, but I'm very happy with it.

Hangin' Burrito
01-16-2011, 06:07
I own 5 or 6 hammocks and out of all of them, my ENO is the most comfortable. I don't know why, but it just is.:confused::D

bear bag hanger
01-17-2011, 11:42
I like my ENO DN, but since it does not have double skin, like my WBBB, it's hard to sleep with a pad of some sort. It is quite comfortable and with a underquilt and a bug net of some sort works very well.

Yianni
01-18-2011, 14:44
I have the double Nest, its great for lounging but I dont use it for camping

Yianni
01-18-2011, 14:44
Bugs bite right through it in the summer

Yianni
01-18-2011, 14:45
its great for one person, but it's a bit uncomfortable for 2

Matt65
01-30-2011, 20:44
I have had the DN for almost 2 years now. I bought it online for $38. I got it and 6 more of various colors, as well as a couple Singlenest. After reselling the extras on Ebay I was able to get the money I had in mine back.

I have no complaints, only praise. Since converting from a tent I have found myself getting out on the trail more often. Increased comfort, decreased bulk.

pinkgrips236
01-30-2011, 21:16
I'm a big fan of the extra material, especially for the backyard hand.

Without a tarp, I find the extra is great at blocking the harsh Pittsburgh sun in the summer.

:shades: