PDA

View Full Version : Where to start ....

Bootstrap
11-04-2007, 19:14
I'm considering making a hammock, or buying one cheap (I have a few deals available to me on a Hennessy, with or without bug netting).

I'm trying to avoid trying 7 different options that will all clutter up my closet until I find the right one, but I don't have any real experience with hammock camping. Now maybe that means I just have to try out different things, starting with something simple, cheap, and homemade.

Or maybe that means I should take a deal I could get on a Hennessy without a bug net for really cheap. Or maybe I should borrow a hammock and then decide whether to spring for the Hennessy. Or maybe I should just go ahead and get something with a bug net ....

But I don't know nothing about hammocks. Most use would be for 3-4 day backpacking trips.

Where should I start?

Jonathan

OldnSlow
11-04-2007, 19:28
As a fellow newbee, here are my thoughts, for what it is worth. I wanted to make my own hammock, as I am a cheap guy, but when I realized that I could pick up a HH for less than half of list, I picked up a Safari, without noseeum screen. This helped solve a number of issues, like where to get some reasonable material, proper rope, what thickness of both? It also helps answer some of the absolutely newbee questions like How is this supposed to hang? How should it feel? As I have no other hammock users near me, as far as I know, a pre made, popularly used hammock, in my estimation, would eliminate the question of did I make it right. If you have anybody who currently hangs, that you can hang with, it would be invaluable, as this crowd seems to be genuinely willing to get other people hooked on hanging.

Hope this helps

John

GrizzlyAdams
11-04-2007, 19:34
I'm considering making a hammock, or buying one cheap (I have a few deals available to me on a Hennessy, with or without bug netting).

I'm trying to avoid trying 7 different options that will all clutter up my closet until I find the right one, but I don't have any real experience with hammock camping. Now maybe that means I just have to try out different things, starting with something simple, cheap, and homemade.

Or maybe that means I should take a deal I could get on a Hennessy without a bug net for really cheap. Or maybe I should borrow a hammock and then decide whether to spring for the Hennessy. Or maybe I should just go ahead and get something with a bug net ....

But I don't know nothing about hammocks. Most use would be for 3-4 day backpacking trips.

Where should I start?

Jonathan

My $0.02 worth.

If you buy a commercial hammock you don't have to mess about with hemming, whipping, and so on. One of the things people tend to like about the HH is lying on the diagonal. When people get irritated with the HH it tends to be due to the floor entry, and not being top loading.

A bug bivy you can make for not very much $$, or buy one for the ENO (about the cost of a low-end hammock).

So my advice is to go for the really cheap bugnet-free HH, see how you like it, and if you do you can then deal with the bugnet.

Grizz

slowhike
11-04-2007, 19:49
welcome to HF Jonathan. i'm near the Winston-Salem area & there are a few others near by.
mater a fact, i believe there's at least one or two HF members in your general area. there's a map on the home page that shows HF member's locations.

i would just echo what the others said. i prefer a top loader myself.
some of the local outfitters may carry the eagles nest outfitter (ENO) hammocks. that was my 1st & it's still a great hammock for a good price. nice feeling material too. ...tim

GREEN THERAPY
11-04-2007, 20:11
Hello Jonathan

Most on here have pondered the best way to get started in hammocking and all the previous advice pretty much covers it. From my experience something I read, I believe in this forum was..... Hennesy Hammocks are the "entry drug to hammock addiction", was right on the money. The first step is to decide you want to try .... second step is to purchase something..... third step fill your closet with hammocks and hammock related gear. :D

FanaticFringer
11-04-2007, 20:59
welcome to HF Jonathan. i'm near the Winston-Salem area & there are a few others near by.
mater a fact, i believe there's at least one or two HF members in your general area. there's a map on the home page that shows HF member's locations.

i would just echo what the others said. i prefer a top loader myself.
some of the local outfitters may carry the eagles nest outfitter (ENO) hammocks. that was my 1st & it's still a great hammock for a good price. nice feeling material too. ...tim

The Eno would be a nice first choice. Also consider a Treklight hammock.www.treklightonline.com I have a Treklight double that is very roomy and doesn't weigh much more than the single. Really let's you stretch out on the diagonal. It is virtually identical to the Eno as far as quality and appearance. Nice time of the year to get a hammock without a bug net due to those skeeters, etc. not being a problem in colder weather. You might consider upgrading your suspension system with cinch buckles, webbing, and carabiners. Due a search here for much info. on this. This tarp is pretty popular around here. Nice coverage at a nice price. www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=97247
That being said, I have pre-ordered one of the new JRB Bear Mountain Bridge hammocks. www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm
Here's a thread that talks about it. www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1947&highlight=bear+mountain
I also pre-ordered one of their new cat tarps www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/11%20x%2010%20Tarp.htm
Whatever you do, do check this great site www.tothewoods.net

BillyBob58
11-04-2007, 22:02
So my advice is to go for the really cheap bugnet-free HH, see how you like it, and if you do you can then deal with the bugnet.

Grizz

As of Friday, I don't think any more are available. Unless, of course, they decide to make some more. I may think about selling mine though, since I have the JRB on the way, I am about to have too many hammocks!

jeffjenn
11-04-2007, 22:30
Jonathan,
I don't have a ton of experience with all the avail. hammocks but I grabbed one of these in camo & think it would be a great first hammock.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84256747

Then you can pick up a SG tarp & be in business. (This was the best price I could find on this hammock, if you are a camo fan they are about $4 more)Also the real weight is 12oz but the steel hooks are about 1oz each.

Nest
11-04-2007, 22:35
As of Friday, I don't think any more are available. Unless, of course, they decide to make some more. I may think about selling mine though, since I have the JRB on the way, I am about to have too many hammocks!

My mom talked to Tom last week, and he said she ordered the last one. He did say he was surprised about the response to them, and asked her why she wanted one. When she told him the pros of netless, he kind of hinted that he will start making them full time.

tight-wad
11-05-2007, 00:57
No, you don't need a bug net this time of year, but you do need some warmth! Lots of ways to skin that rabbit, double layer with pads, SPEs, underquilts, more pads, double layer with air bags, etc. etc. This forum is rife with ideas and pros and cons. Just beware that a simple sleeping bag, no matter what the temperature rating, won't cut it.

Be sure you pick a method and try it before you head for the woods!

Doctari
11-05-2007, 07:23
Another way to try (at least look at) alot of hammocks is to attend one of the hangouts.
Ed Spears Has several through the year. A notable one is on Springer Mt in GA Newyears eve.
There is one at Red River Gorge in KY in a few weeks.
AND a Hang out possibly at Mt Rogers in VA at a date to be determined.
At Traildays in Damascus we have our own "gated community" of hangers, Last year I counted at least 28 different hammock set ups. Um, OK, I counted 28 Hangers, all 28 were different set ups, even the commercial "complete set ups in a box" were modified in some way. PLUS, there were 6 hammock vendors.

Cannibal
11-05-2007, 08:59
Buy one of everything, figure out what you like best, then wait for the next new guy to login and ask about his first hammock and sell him your extras. :D

Just joking, if you're like me you'll never sell them; just start a collection. The HHs are great, but the bottom entry is a challenge for lots of folks. It was my first hammock above $20. But, why get something with a bug net this time of year? Go grab a Trek Light or an ENO for the price of a tank of gas and see if the hangin thing is for you. There will always be sales.

nogods
11-05-2007, 09:23
One nice thing about Clark and Claytor hammocks - they both allow you to return the hammock if you are not satisfied. the Clark return policy is the more definitive - 90 days. the Claytor is a little bit fuzzy - it just states return it if you don't like it.

That gives you a try-before-you-commit option. As it turns out, my son like the Clark and I like the Claytor, so I'll return one of the Clarks.

But had I had the chance to try several commercial hammocks at a hangout, I probably would have concluded that no one commecial hammock offered all that i wanted and I would have either started making my own from scratch, or assembling one from commercial products.

Here is what I would want now:

A hammock at least as large as the Claytor with top entry

A detachable bug net (Clark and Claytor bug nets can be unzipped but not detached) .

A detachable weather sheild/over cover (I made one for the Claytor, Clark has one but it can't be detached).

I want detachable so I can leave the unneeded parts at home. There might be a few cross-over seasons when I have to pack all parts, but most of the year one or both would not be needed.

Outside storage pockets like the Clark (most people who make their own hammocks on this forum advise against sewing anything into the bottom of the hammock, but the Clark pockets are sewn in the bottom so I'm wondering if that is possible - and alternative is the Just Jeff storage hammock: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html )

A 10 x 12 tarp.

Bootstrap
11-05-2007, 13:48
Hennesy Hammocks are the "entry drug to hammock addiction", was right on the money. The first step is to decide you want to try .... second step is to purchase something..... third step fill your closet with hammocks and hammock related gear.

OK, I just ordered a HH Expedition Asym, no bug netting, for $49.00 (so they *do* still have some!). Has to be shipped from Canada, could take a while. So that's Step 1 and Step 2. Trying to avoid Step 3.

Thanks, y'all!

Jonathan

GrizzlyAdams
11-05-2007, 14:16
OK, I just ordered a HH Expedition Asym, no bug netting, for $49.00 (so they *do* still have some!). Has to be shipped from Canada, could take a while. So that's Step 1 and Step 2. Trying to avoid Step 3.

Thanks, y'all!

Jonathan

good call.

As for avoiding 3, well, it's futile. The only constraints known to work are a) financial, and b) a partner whose willingness to encourage behavior modification goes above and beyond normal mechanisms.

There's a number of folks here who have put zip-in bugnets on HH bags, or clones. There will be lots of help if you got that route.

Grizz

Bootstrap
11-05-2007, 16:51
No, you don't need a bug net this time of year, but you do need some warmth! Lots of ways to skin that rabbit, double layer with pads, SPEs, underquilts, more pads, double layer with air bags, etc. etc. This forum is rife with ideas and pros and cons. Just beware that a simple sleeping bag, no matter what the temperature rating, won't cut it.

The guy at Hennessy suggested I get one of those things you stick on the windshield of a truck to keep the sun from heating the inside in the summer. Think that would work well?

Be sure you pick a method and try it before you head for the woods!

Oh don't worry, I always do that with an equipment I take to the woods. I've been playing with tarps for the last few weeks ;->

Jonathan

FanaticFringer
11-05-2007, 17:03
The guy at Hennessy suggested I get one of those things you stick on the windshield of a truck to keep the sun from heating the inside in the summer. Think that would work well?

Oh don't worry, I always do that with an equipment I take to the woods. I've been playing with tarps for the last few weeks ;->

Jonathan

The car windshield reflector would work but not near as well as a pad.

Bootstrap
11-05-2007, 17:28
The car windshield reflector would work but not near as well as a pad.

A pad ... like a Ridgerest?

Jonathan

cameronjreed
11-05-2007, 17:47
"Hennesy Hammocks are the "entry drug to hammock addiction", was right on the money. The first step is to decide you want to try .... second step is to purchase something..... third step fill your closet with hammocks and hammock related gear"

Funniest and truest thing I have ever read.I guess I could consider myself a TYPICAL hammock addict. I learned about hammock camping, bought an HH Explorer then proceeded to make hammocks out of everything that was not nailed down.
Hammocking addiction leads to other addictions..Like stove making, pack making, etc..
I would like to think that there is a 12 step program somewhere for us, but then again there's NOTHING wrong with us.

Welcome, Bootstrap, to the group. Make a cheap hammock (like Risks $9 hammock) (http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm)

FanaticFringer
11-05-2007, 19:51
A pad ... like a Ridgerest?

Jonathan

The RidgeRest Thermarest is a nice closed cell pad at 5/8" thick. They have a deluxe model which is 25" wide compared to the standard 20" wide one.
The Wal-Mart 3/8" thick 20" wide blue closed cell pad is very popular here either used with a SPE or used to supplement an underquilt. The wrapping on the one I just bought said it was 1/2" thick which is not true. They also carry an egg crate shaped 1/2" thick 24" wide pad that would work.
Do a search on pads here as well as checking these sites out. www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html
www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/SpeerSleepPads.htm

Doctari
11-05-2007, 20:09
"The guy at Hennessy suggested I get one of those things you stick on the windshield of a truck to keep the sun from heating the inside in the summer. Think that would work well?"

That is what I use to lower the temp I can stand IN ADDITION TO my underquilt. It's lighter than my CC pad, & has easily gotten me to 10 degrees below my "normal" 30 degrees with my underquilt. Probably in reality, it makes the 30 degrees more tolerable, for 30 degrees is "what I can stand" not what I'm comfortable with.

For me, the (reflective) truck pad is instead of added insulation to the underquilt is because I don't have anymore room in the pack, & the truck pad fits nicely Outside AND dosn't care if it gets wet. I think it's about 1/8" thick & reflective on both sides. I wouldn't sleep on it on the ground, but it adds a tiny bit of padding & works fine in a hammock.