PDA

View Full Version : Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock

Old River Rat
09-19-2010, 02:28
I am still "hanging out" on the forum, soaking up the wisdom from all you experienced hangers before I start purchasing my gear. I still have to wait until Spring 2011 before I begin to buy. This is good because I have changed my mind several times since wanting to take up hammocking. I have done a DIY gathered end hammock and find it satisfactory. But, in Shug's last video he mentioned a bridge hammock and I began to look in that direction. I think bridge hammocks may be more suitable to the way I like to sleep . . . on my side. I would like to hear from some of you who own the JRB hammock. There was one Youtube video by Eric Kaplan that has brought some concerns to my attention. The stitching is one. His hammock had some pretty bad stitching. The other concern on the video was the use of velcro to attach the bug netting. The JRB website mentions zippers now, so this concern is perhaps remedied. Any information you guy's offer will be greatly appreciated.

DiezelDorf
09-19-2010, 04:07
I am looking forward to hearing some answers because I too am interested in the bridge hammocks and am thinking about purchasing one

GrizzlyAdams
09-19-2010, 07:57
There are a number of BMBH enthusiasts here and I trust they will chime in when they see the thread title.

The bridge hammock shug is using is a DIY one that is wider and shallower than the BMBH. You can learn more about bridge hammocks in general, and this alternative design in particular, by popping over to my youtube channel whose link is found in my signature below. The backstory on bridge hammocks is in the older videos "A Brief History on DIY Bridge Hammocks...". Interestingly, a patent was obtained early in the 20th century on the suspension idea. A couple of years ago a number of us made replicas of hammocks from old patents and I did a video on that one too (but on a different channel, here it is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmiSmcelD1Y)).

I hadn't been aware that JRB changed their netting design to be zippered on three sides with stow-away on the fourth. Great idea!

In my experience (both with the BMBH and DIY designs) sleeping on the side is great, provided that you don't want to curl. The price of a very flat lay in one dimension is that your movements are more constrained in the other (side-to-side) than in a wide gathered end hammock with lots of sag.

The feel of a bridge hammock is different. If you don't have a lot of experience with a gathered end hammock already then it won't seem "strange". Some folks with a lot of gathered end experience under their butt don't take to it, others who highly value support of the back, do.

cheers

DGrav
09-19-2010, 09:05
I've been using my JRB BMBH for about three years now. Prior to that I had used a Hennesy Explorer ultralight for about two years.

The stitching on mine is great.

The velcro is actually omni-tape so it doesn't snag on clothing.

At 6'3" 200 lbs I comfortably sleep on my side.

I can't say enough about how great the BMBH is. I'm constantly shocked that it doesn't get as much attention as other hammocks on here.

Let me know if there are any other specific questions you may have.

Just Jeff
09-19-2010, 09:13
The BMBH didn't fit my style b/c I like to curl up on my side, but the quality was excellent.

Roadtorque
09-19-2010, 10:39
I really like my JRB bridge hammock. I also have a gathered end hammock and find myself using that a lot lately. The only thing I dislike about the bridge is the one thing that makes the bridge possible...the spreader bars. I just dont like putting those long ridged poles in my pack. I'm guessing as the weather cools down into UQ weather I will switch back to the bridge. It is an idiot proof design for hanging under quilts.

Old River Rat
09-19-2010, 11:19
Thanks for the replies so far everyone . . .

Grizz, I liked the video on the vintage hammock. I have added it to my favorites. I am sure when I have the time I will try making some stuff on my own. Especially tarps and quilts.

Roadtorque, Would it be possible to use hiking poles for spreader bars with the BMBH? There must be some ingenious way to do this.

G.L.P.
09-19-2010, 11:22
i had a BMBH and they are very nice hammocks ....well made and can take a beating ....you can't go wrong
;)

Sidewinder
09-19-2010, 13:56
I have a BMBH and a WBBB. I think side sleeping will work with either. Where I find the Bridge shines is when I want to sleep on my stomach. Can't really do that in a gather end. If you don't need to sleep face down, you don't need a bridge. My problem is that I need to start off sleeping face down then I can roll over and sleep any which way. I've been trying to sleep as much as I can in my Blackbird to get used to it so I can use it more.

Don't get me wrong, the BMBH is a fine and wonderful hammock. In some cases like mine, the only option if you want to sleep face down. It is well built, but the drawbacks are in my opinion are the weight, the omnitape, tippy when used with a pad, less room to move around and less storage options. I suppose that if you can use your hiking poles in the setup you could cut down on the weight. I just looked at the site and can't fine mention of the zipper option. I think that is still a thrid party mod.

Good luck in your search!

~ S

Joz
09-19-2010, 14:19
Second what Sidewinder said.

I didn't like the webbing suspension - so I took it out. It is wobbly, especially with my Exped downmat 9. It's also prone to swinging when using as thick a pad as that. The omnitape is a bit of a bother - so now I usually just fasten the top half and let the bottom half lie by itself.

But, I still love it. I haven't treated it very well, to be honest, but aside from the cigarette burn (I know, I should be ashamed of myself. For ashing in the hammock. :cool:) which I fixed with Tear Aid, it shows no signs of wear and tear. I sleep like a baby in it. It truly is a flat wonder of the world.

2Questions
09-19-2010, 14:41
Looks like the Jacks have indeed added zippers to their BMBH.

Here's the detail from their site:
The hammock comes complete with an attached bug net made of no-see-um netting that is zippered on three sides with a double pull zipper. It can be unzipped and tied back if desired when there is no bug threat.

Very similar to our two mods for the BMBH.

BillyBob58
09-19-2010, 17:28
I am still "hanging out" on the forum, soaking up the wisdom from all you experienced hangers before I start purchasing my gear. I still have to wait until Spring 2011 before I begin to buy. This is good because I have changed my mind several times since wanting to take up hammocking. I have done a DIY gathered end hammock and find it satisfactory. But, in Shug's last video he mentioned a bridge hammock and I began to look in that direction. I think bridge hammocks may be more suitable to the way I like to sleep . . . on my side. I would like to hear from some of you who own the JRB hammock. There was one Youtube video by Eric Kaplan that has brought some concerns to my attention. The stitching is one. His hammock had some pretty bad stitching. The other concern on the video was the use of velcro to attach the bug netting. The JRB website mentions zippers now, so this concern is perhaps remedied. Any information you guy's offer will be greatly appreciated.

I am looking forward to hearing some answers because I too am interested in the bridge hammocks and am thinking about purchasing one

The BMBH has zippers now? That is a new one to me, wow! The original net has pros and cons. Ultra light and removable and no zipper to jam or fail are its biggest advantages. Definitely a hassle getting in place and sealed up ( compared to a zipper). There is a learning curve and a couple of tricks that makes it much easier to deal with, but it will never be as easy as a zipper. Still, works pretty good for me all in all. Most of the time I don't seal it on top except on the ends, I just let it drape over the edges. Other times. like if worried about ticks, I have it well sealed on the bottom half, get in and pull it up like a blanket and attach on the head end. Then, while letting it just drape for a while as I seal up the omni tape at my leisure. But no matter, there are zippers now! I may have to get one! but, then I can't save ~4 oz od weight in the winter! pros and cons!

The BMBH is PROBABLY my overall favorite hammock. Each quality hammock design out there has some combination of pros and cons. In at least 2 or maybe 3 or 4 of those items, the BMBH wins ( for me) hands down. But that doesn't mean some of the other hammocks don't beat it in a few other areas, making them more preferred for many folks, and sometimes also for me depending on how I'm feeling that day! ;)

Still, GREAT hammock! I sure would like to try a GrizBridge!