PDA

View Full Version : wearable quilts

slowhike
11-13-2006, 07:17
on the thread "shamless plug" we were talking about quilts that could be worn around camp in place of other insulated clothing.
i wasn`t sure how to transfer my last post from that thread to this new thread, but if you look at that you`ll get the idea.

i posted 4 photos in the gallery under "images for homemade gear forums directions".
this is an idea i`ve been thinking & talking about for a while so i thought i`d better make an attempt to do it.

what you see in the photos is just a single layer of fabric i got from the $1.00 bin, but decided it`s to heavy to be much use.
on this mock-up, there`s no insulation & no collars for the head hole or the arm holes like i described on the other post. but in the home made gear gallery you can see photos of the collar i used on the top cover of an insulated winter hammock.
the adjustable collar works great. fairly easy to make, light weight, & very effective. ...tim

txulrich
11-13-2006, 09:08
I went camping with the scouts this past weekend. There were clear skies both nights with temperatures in the 40's on Friday and in the 30's for Saturday. I ended up wearing my Nest under my jacket on Friday because the wind was so strong and cutting. I didn't need it on Sunday morning when I woke up because the wind was non-existant.

neo
11-13-2006, 09:12
i have a wearable sleeping bag,its is less than 20 bucks,wieghs less than 3 lbs,doubles as a oversized hooded parka.plus it is camo,i own 2 of them,one desert camo,one woodland camo:cool: neo

me wearing it

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9352&catid=member&imageuser=3462

packed

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9359&c=member&imageuser=3462

SGT Rock
11-13-2006, 09:49
No Sniveler. The Cadillac of wearable sleeping systems.

Ewker
11-13-2006, 10:00
how do you guys sleep in those things. I can't sleep with much on no matter how cold it is.

txulrich
11-13-2006, 12:01
how do you guys sleep in those things. I can't sleep with much on no matter how cold it is.

I used my nest as a top quilt this past weekend. It just lays on top of me. It's so light, you don't even feel it. I make a foot box on the lower end. I pull the drawstrings on the top to fit around my shoulders to keep the drafts out. Tuck in the sides and you're good to go!

I wore polypro tops and bottoms and a pair of socks. I could've used a hat but was ok without it. The polypro is so thin, it's almost like wearing nothing at all. They slide pretty well on the hammock material so it's no problem to move around or turn on my side.

Ewker
11-13-2006, 12:09
I used my nest as a top quilt this past weekend. It just lays on top of me. It's so light, you don't even feel it. I make a foot box on the lower end. I pull the drawstrings on the top to fit around my shoulders to keep the drafts out. Tuck in the sides and you're good to go!

I wore polypro tops and bottoms and a pair of socks. I could've used a hat but was ok without it. The polypro is so thin, it's almost like wearing nothing at all. They slide pretty well on the hammock material so it's no problem to move around or turn on my side.

I am not talking a quilt or sleeping bag laying over you. I am talking about wearing one to sleep in. That seems to confining. Please tell me you don't wear that plus get into a bag or use a quilt.

txulrich
11-13-2006, 14:37
I am not talking a quilt or sleeping bag laying over you. I am talking about wearing one to sleep in. That seems to confining. Please tell me you don't wear that plus get into a bag or use a quilt.

No, no. At night, the quilt is that, a quilt. Though, with special designed features. I would wear it during colder weather as part of my layering during the day (as needed). But at night, it reverts to a quilt for sleeping. As stated earlier, I sleep in polypro longjohns. I would add socks, hat and gloves as needed.

I should also let everyone know that I did a little more multipurpose with my gear this weekend. I take my fleece sweater and use it as a pillow/neck support at night. Because I did forget my hat, I took the bottom of the sweater and pulled it over my head to cover my eyes and ears, then folded it back. I then folded the arms under my neck for the support that I like. I was then able to pull the hem down over my eyes without it being restrictive. It kept my head warmer and had the added advantage of blocking out the moonlight.

Peter_pan
11-13-2006, 15:09
Tx,

Been using a similiar trick for years.... My jacket gets thrown in the head end...most is used as a pillow...some covers the back of the shoulders and a sleeve or some remaining edge covers the head... plus it is warm to put on in the morning.

Pan

titanium_hiker
11-14-2006, 00:15
the quilts are fun to wear- and when you get up, they're right there, ready to be put on.

TH

turk
11-14-2006, 00:32
Tricked out Rock Wren.
Functions as full bag, top quilt, underquilt.
Posted some pics up in gallery.
Working out really well so far. Very happy with it.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=143&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=141&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=146&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

not that I dont want a no snivy... I just need to get an Old rag mountain
first!!

FanaticFringer
11-14-2006, 01:00
Very Nice!!!! Welcome to our forum.

slowhike
11-14-2006, 06:54
nice bag turk. you did a good job making it work as an underquilt.
what`s the weight on that bag, & what do you belive the lowest temps it would keep you comfortable in?

Peter_pan
11-14-2006, 09:05
the quilts are fun to wear- and when you get up, they're right there, ready to be put on.

TH

TH,

Plus they are already warm...

Pan

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 09:32
Tricked out Rock Wren.
Functions as full bag, top quilt, underquilt.
Posted some pics up in gallery.
Working out really well so far. Very happy with it.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=143&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=141&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=146&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

not that I dont want a no snivy... I just need to get an Old rag mountain
first!!

Nice, turk.

Did you modify the bag yourself or wa sit bought that way? Cost?

turk
11-14-2006, 21:25
what`s the weight on that bag, & what do you belive the lowest temps it would keep you comfortable in?

Bag is 27.0oz (starfrit kitchen scale acu. +/- 0.1)
Wish I could speculate as to its temp rating. It is a work in progress.
I primarily use it as a top quilt or in (bag mode) with a JRB nest underquilt
in my BULA. Anything below about 45deg F, I like to switch from top quilt
to full bag mode. I do not yet know how low I can go. Let you know how
it works out in Late November. As a stand alone underquilt, sans any kind
of top covering., I need more test time next year in warmer weather.

Nice, turk.

Did you modify the bag yourself or wa sit bought that way? Cost?

Bag was purchased from Feathered Friends will full zip. Loops to fit the HH
hammocks were compared against my Nest dimensions and installed before
I tried the bag out first time. Cost was around $325-375 CDN something
like that. All i remember was it was a big gouge in shipping costs and
duty fees at the border.

slowhike
12-14-2006, 22:10
ok... i finally got the 1st prototype of my version of wearable quilt made.
it`s not much different than some of the others out there (maybe ugly-er), except for the collars.
i really like the way the collars work. they are insulated & they have a channel sewn into the outer part of the shell that accomodates a small elastic draw cord.
because the draw cord is elastic & on the outside of the insulation, it gently snugs the puffy collar around your neck with out feeling constricted.
same with the arm collars.
you have the choice of leaving them hanging loose, or closing them to retain heat. it`s a really effective method of restricting the exchange of your body heat with the cold air out side.
a couple things i know i will do different on the next one...
1) use a draw string to close the bottom of the bag
2) use a zipper (full length) on the front instead of Velcro. it`s really comical to watch me try to put it on & get the Velcro lined-up & closed.
i really need someone to help me get it on:confused:
also i`ve learned a thing or two about the width needed. that`s part of the problem w/ getting it closed.
i had to add on a strip on one side to make it wider, but it`s still not as wide as it should be.
before i give you the weights remember that this is a first try w/ lots of goofs & changes that can be made to improve the neatness & weight.
i used synthetic insulation... two or three kinds, piecing it together.
i`ll probably use down on the next one.
it weighs 3lbs. it`s the quilt i used recently in the back yard at 14°f.
i believe the next one will be warmer & weigh less. plus, it will be more practical as a wearable quilt.
pictures in the "homemade gear" gallery. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/PC090125.JPG
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/PC140026.JPG
...tim

Perkolady
12-14-2006, 22:19
slowhike,

That's a pretty cool thing you are making there !
I imagine how cozy that neckline would be- nice!

Great job! :) Can't wait to see what's next...

Perkolady

Just Jeff
12-15-2006, 02:27
That looks great, Tim. I'm a big fan of the He-Man pose, too. :D

slowhike
12-15-2006, 06:31
That looks great, Tim. I'm a big fan of the He-Man pose, too. :D

yeah.. i had to make sure no one thought it looked like a dress<g>
but that`s what a couple of my "friends" said anyway<g>

headchange4u
12-15-2006, 10:04
That looks great and very Sci-Fi looking. :)

Frolicking Dino
12-15-2006, 15:50
Slow-hike -- that is a really nice invention!

turk
12-15-2006, 16:15
Slowhike that looks awesome.
With your proposed design improvements I think you have
Feathered Friends one-up'ed for function. Really like that collar idea.
Would love to see a down version. Very jealous of the DIY skills.
Can't wait to see more on this.

If the fit on the proto is a bit too snug, just call this one a "womens version"
and pawn it off as "family gear" :D

slowhike
12-15-2006, 16:45
Slowhike that looks awesome.
With your proposed design improvements I think you have
Feathered Friends one-up'ed for function. Really like that collar idea.
Would love to see a down version. Very jealous of the DIY skills.
Can't wait to see more on this.

If the fit on the proto is a bit too snug, just call this one a "womens version"
and pawn it off as "family gear" :D

yep it is pretty si-fi looking. somebody said "the martians have landed".
next time i got to find some JRB green or something<g>.
the collars are, i belive, worth taking a look at. on a cold night, using the collar in the quilt mode is greatly effective at heat retention.

turk
12-15-2006, 21:45
Yep, everyone looks rediculous in a wearable quilt....
Luckily I found a new marketing strategy for JRB.
Target the celebrity quilt wearers.
http://ehko.info/HQ_jrbfam_col.jpg

cheers;)

slowhike
12-15-2006, 21:58
now that`s cool turk<G>
can you find a picture of chuck norris wearing a no sniveler?

turk
12-15-2006, 23:48
ya, just got off the phone with Chuck, ..said he'd
go for it if we thru in a JRB hood and sleeves.
It was easy endorsement once he knew Yoda was in.

there you go.

headchange4u
12-16-2006, 01:19
The Clint Eastwood is great. Yoda is close second.:)

Frolicking Dino
12-16-2006, 06:58
Turk, thank you for a morning laugh.

Peter_pan
12-16-2006, 07:32
Turk,

You should go into the fashion business.... LMAO.:)

Pan

slowhike
12-16-2006, 10:57
man... that`s great! i gotta learn to do that<g>.

Porkbutter
12-16-2006, 11:19
For My variation of a wearable quilt, I basically copied a no-sniveller, but added a collar for the head hole. I really didn’t care for the no-snag Velcro; it doesn’t have very much holding ability. Plus, didn’t want it right at my neck. The collar is basically just a flap that covers the head hole, and closes with ordinary Velcro a few inches below the neck. I had to prestuff the collar before attaching it, and, as this was the first thing that I had ever used down with, I WAY over stuffed it. No harm done, really. I made a small channel at the top of the collar for a drawstring. The total height if the collar is about 3 ½ inches. Were I to do it again, I would make it a bit taller. The drawstring could be more comfortable too; I’m still playing with that. Being able to snug the quilt up to my neck really does make a big difference in warmth while wearing it. It cuts out the drafts, and the convection losses from under the quilt.
I also made an identical quilt, minus the head hole, for an underquilt.

slowhike
12-16-2006, 11:22
if you were to put the channel for the draw string in the middle of the collar, on the outside, it would be way comfortable.

Porkbutter
12-16-2006, 13:46
if you were to put the channel for the draw string in the middle of the collar, on the outside, it would be way comfortable.

The discomfort isn't on the neck, it is in the front where you want to tie it. I have some narrow flat elastic that I'm going to try. Maybe that will be better. Or perhaps a padded sleeve for the drawstring would be a bit more comfortable. Hmmmmm.

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 02:52
i have a wearable sleeping bag,its is less than 20 bucks,wieghs less than 3 lbs,doubles as a oversized hooded parka.plus it is camo,i own 2 of them,one desert camo,one woodland camo:cool: neo

me wearing it

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9352&catid=member&imageuser=3462

packed

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9359&c=member&imageuser=3462

I got one of these from Neo and have slept in it once already. Thanks for the Christmas gift Neo.

Light and cheap - although I cannot vouch for any temp rating yet. After sleeping in one once I think it could be modified to be both lighter and warmer for the average hiker.

The bag is one of those military "one-size-fits-all" solution. This means the bag is a lot bigger inside than most people actually need thus there is a lot of space inside the bag to warm up. If you were to get one of these bags at that low of a price, you could take the sides in to make it fit more snug and reduce the interior volume which would give you two benefits: less space to heat up inside the bag and less superfluous material for the bag for a lower overall weight. At that low a price it wouldn't be hard for most people to start making mods - not like when you spend $200 on a bag.

Frolicking Dino
12-19-2006, 10:29
Neo & Rock - what sort of insulation does the wearable bag you fellows have use?

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 11:28
Synthetic batting. I haven't measured the thickness but I guess about 3/4"

Frolicking Dino
12-19-2006, 12:06
So I'm guessing it is a lightweight summer bag? I'm seeing some great potential for this item in conjuction with a quilt --- a combo coat, very warm hammock sleep system and toasty morning solution. I might have to make one with down (now that I've discovered the male dino isn't allergic to it after all)

SGT Rock
12-19-2006, 12:44
Well I was thinkng about it Dino. I THINK you could probably take the batting out, quilt it, and then stuff it with some 800 fill.

neo
12-19-2006, 21:03
I got one of these from Neo and have slept in it once already. Thanks for the Christmas gift Neo.

Light and cheap - although I cannot vouch for any temp rating yet. After sleeping in one once I think it could be modified to be both lighter and warmer for the average hiker.

The bag is one of those military "one-size-fits-all" solution. This means the bag is a lot bigger inside than most people actually need thus there is a lot of space inside the bag to warm up. If you were to get one of these bags at that low of a price, you could take the sides in to make it fit more snug and reduce the interior volume which would give you two benefits: less space to heat up inside the bag and less superfluous material for the bag for a lower overall weight. At that low a price it wouldn't be hard for most people to start making mods - not like when you spend $200 on a bag.

:) your welcome sgt rock merry christmas to ya and as always happy hammock hanging to ya:cool: neo

Quoddy
09-12-2007, 16:05
Just got a FF Winter Wren (http://www.featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=84&CatId=1&ProductName=Winter%20Wren) with a 2oz overfill. I decided not to go the full zip route as Turk did since I don't plan to use it as a regular quilt. This ought to work well with a winter hammock system.

slowhike
09-12-2007, 19:46
Just got a FF Winter Wren with a 2oz overfill. I decided not to go the full zip route as Turk did since I don't plan to use it as a regular quilt. This ought to work well with a winter hammock system.

yep, i think that's a great piece of gear. and it looks far better than any thing i've made yet<g>.