PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Lost Ranger as TQ

Jsaults
09-22-2010, 15:35
Anyone using one in a hammock?

I have one that is my primary fall/spring bag for (shudder!) t__t camping, used with an Air Core pad. I am going to try using it, sans pad, when I hammock at Raystown Lake in PA in October. My 3/4 Crows Nest will be my under-insulation.

One advantage of the BA LR is that it is generously cut (I believe it is a 72" girth bag) so I have high hopes.

Any successes? Failyres?

Jim

Barefoot Child
09-22-2010, 15:51
I have a BA Lost Ranger sleeping bag and used as a TQ several times...worked great. If you get into it it won't seem to so voluminous in the hammock, and will help to keep it in place, didn't bother zipping it though...just used it the same way you would a TQ. BA sleeping bags are a natural for a Hammock TQ if you ask me. Slowhike was using one (may still be using it) and had the zipper removed. HYOH/YMMV

Have fun and enjoy....you don't have to buy a TQ if you don't want to. Use the money for something else....like buying flowers or candy for your girl! :D

Triptease
09-22-2010, 15:53
If it's what you already have then I would go with it.

If you are looking to buy a new bag, I would choose something that
a. Is a lighter option (the BA Lost Ranger Long is 3 lb, 3oz)
b. Has bottom insulation that the BAs don't have so that it can be unzipped as used as a quilt
c. If you are looking for a BA bag, I'd go with the Summit Park. It's only 5 oz heavier but has much more room to roll around in and layer underneath. I'm a bigger guy too and had the Lost Ranger when I was a ground dweller and ultimately went with the Summit Park which was much more comfy.

Jsaults
09-22-2010, 19:29
other's experiences.

I also have a VERY old Marmot Grouse (barrel-shaped) that will zip open to form a YQ, but I suspect it is not quite as warm. Since my next excursion is to a COE campground I can take both for comparison.

Jim