PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my Clark set-up...

mataharihiker
11-07-2007, 06:30
I went out for an over-nighter along the St Croix River in Wisconsin...just a walk-in campsite but I was alone so it was lovely...temps got down below freezing. There was a little drizzle just as I went to bed and a little snow just as I got up...frost on the tarp. I, unfortunately, went to bed dehydrated and woke up at 2am with frozen feet. I used a full length Exped Downmat 7, GoLite Fur quilt..maybe rated at 32F...I don't remember....I slept in silk longjohns and Montbell down pants and vest with extra clothing stuffed in the pockets...I sleep cold, only weigh 110, have pneumonia all the time due to past health issues so try to not get cold...didn't work but it wasn't the fault of the Clark...

I love that hammock! I disconnected the tarp from the hammock and added lines to the foot end of the tarp. I had 3 lines running to the tree...one for the tarp, one for the netting and one for the hammock body...this gave me what I wanted...the tarp was well above the netting, the netting (I used the supplied bungee cords...added separate lines to each to attach them to their respective tree) well above the body and the body a comfortable sitting distance from the ground.

I tied one side of the tarp closer to the ground to block the wind and used sticks to create a nice porch on the other side like I always do...no problems finding sticks on the ground in the Great Northwoods. I tied the foot ends of the tarp out using reflective lines so it was easy to find in the dark.

I closed up the Weathershield around 3am and that really worked well against the cold...it was 10 degrees warmer in the hammock than it was outside according to my thermometer...I left it open a tad to vent...

I added a mesh pocket on elastic lines to an inside ridgeline...this worked very nicely to hold my glasses and gave me something to attach my ever-present water bottle (I have no saliva glands so much always have water with me)..

This was my first night in the Clark so I expect to fine tune things as I go but I must say the Clark more than met my expectations...

Pictures are on Webshots:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/561328750gZWcWO

slowhike
11-07-2007, 08:08
nice pictures. i always have thought the clark was a nice looking, very complete set up.
the clark w/ it's weather shield, no doubt, was a large part of the inspiration for the silnylon storage end covers i use & also for the way i plan to combine those end covers w/ a travel pod in the middle, ending up w/ something that looks a lot like the clark weather shield.

sounds like you had a pleasant night except for the feet. i would have been tempted to reach over to my stove & boil a pot of water to put into an extra water bottle. then after putting it into a sock, put it in the sleeping bag against my feet.

nogods
11-07-2007, 08:29
Do you leave the bug net zipped up with the weather shield?

I tried just leaving it loose in the foot end of the hammock but it got tangled up in my feet - then I tried stuffing it into a mesh sack and pulling the draw cord tight enough to cause it to hang, but that pulled down on the foot end cover because of the concentrated weight. My next thought was to have some cloth ties sewn into the cover of the foot end so i could roll it up and tie it out of the way - that would at least split the weight problem between both sides of the foot end cover.

BTW - for those of you who are unfamilar with the clark - it has sleeves on the outside of the cover on the foot end into which you can stuff the weather shield or the weather shield + the bug net when not using them, but the way it is designed, you cannot stuff the bug net into the sleeves and still use the weather shield.

Cannibal
11-07-2007, 08:40
Nice hang!

Is that tarp half as complicated as it looks? These Clarks are starting to grow on me a little, but that tarp looks like a lot of work to set-up.

nogods
11-07-2007, 09:56
Nice hang!

Is that tarp half as complicated as it looks? These Clarks are starting to grow on me a little, but that tarp looks like a lot of work to set-up.

Nope - you can set it up as quickly as any tarp, you just have a few more options if you want to use them. But the same could be said of any tarp with more than 4 corner tie outs available.

If, however, you decide to attach the tarp to the hammock the way it was designed, then you need to be careful about the tension between the foot end and the hammock - lots of broken clips result from that - after breaking my first clip i solved the problem by replacing the attachment supplied attachment cord with a 1/8 bungie cord looped twice and tied with a taut line hitch - that way I can adjust the tension if needed after I'm in the hammock.

mataharihiker
11-08-2007, 06:21
nogods...I didn't even try to zip up the weathershield without the netting...I zipped both up...I might later consider something to trap the netting at the foot end of the hammock but, for now, when it's really cold it will help keep condensation from dripping on me...the zippers operate so smoothly that I didn't find it a problem to unzip both to exit the hammock...

By the way, I did heat up some drinking water at 2am to warm myself up...I had handwarmers I could have used but, I was lazy...I had plenty of insulation on my feet and they should never have got cold...it was obviously poor circulation caused by dehydration...I had Smartwool socks and Nunatak down booties on them...that combo has kept me warm in winter so drinking warm water seemed like a good idea...and, that way I got to see a beautiful, still night...

Mule
11-08-2007, 06:51
I am interested in the Clark also. It seems it is better suited for using it without the bug net. How is the Clark for cold weather? Is the bottom able to hold insulation? How would it do at say 25 F?

nogods
11-08-2007, 09:02
The temperatures around here have not dipped below 40 on any nights that I was testing the clark so I haven't had a chance to give it a good cold weather test.

The Storage pockets will hold a lot of clothing or anything else you might want to stuff in there for insulation. I took some poly insulation i bought at walmart and filled up ziplock bags then stuffed them into the pockets. Although the temps that night got down only into the 40's, they were providing a lot of insulation. But I couldn't find a way to keep them compressed for packing. I'm now thinking that a 2 baffle chamber made of 1.1 breathable sylnylon or ripstop and filled with down might work better because all six of them should stuff into a small compresion sack. You would still need a pad because of the space between the pockets, so a full-blown underquilt might make sense.

cavediver2
11-08-2007, 10:02
I did 19-F last night in a 0-F bag with out anything eles. I had on a lite weight polo pro top and bottom on and smart wool socks and a fleece stocking cap. was toasty most of the time I found that on the left and right of my hip's that they were cool not enough to warrant coming inside or getting something to fix the problem. I used the bug sheild and the outer weather sheild and useing a fluke thermometer I took temp's of 19 degree's at tree and 42 degree in side hammock sealed up and inside the bag was 81 degree's at first check then at first pea break i checked it again before I opened it and it was down 72 inside. If I can find a couple of batteries I am going to take more messurements tonight although it's not suppose to be as cold. I am going to use a space blanket right under sleeping bag tonight.

UPDATE: Well I used space blanket last night layed directly under my sleeping bag and that was not a smart move as it puddled up with what im going to guess was condensation from under my body. sleeping bag was damp in place's and very wet in others. I stayed warm throughout the night and this morning but I found bag getting wet would worrie me if It really got cold out side but at 24-F it did not cause in problems.

Tonight I am going to try a wool blanket under the bag and see where that will take me it does not have any compression at all so I wonder how it will work.

But to answer some questions about the Clark hammock They are and can be used as a four season hammock. There are several people that are useing them in that way.

Mule
11-08-2007, 12:24
Thanks for the information. Sounds like the Clark and the HH are really very much alike when it comes to cold weather. Mule

nogods
11-08-2007, 12:25
I ordered two of these "blankets" - they only cost $10 each but they charge $10 each for shipping from Texas to Buffalo - which I thought is a little unreasonable.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.htm

But I bought them anyway to try it I the hammocks. Supposedly they work like a space blanket but havie "microscopic" perferations for breathability and are "washable". They are trying to promote the material as usable for making clothing. If it doesn't work in the hammock or as a plain warming blanket on my bed, maybe I'll make a tuxedo out of it.

Mule
11-08-2007, 12:28
I bought one from Backpacking Light. Haven't tried it yet. I am assuming one is enough for underneath. Mule

cavediver2
11-08-2007, 12:51
I ordered two of these "blankets" - they only cost $10 each but they charge $10 each for shipping from Texas to Buffalo - which I thought is a little unreasonable.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.htm

But I bought them anyway to try it I the hammocks. Supposedly they work like a space blanket but havie "microscopic" perferations for breathability and are "washable". They are trying to promote the material as usable for making clothing. If it doesn't work in the hammock or as a plain warming blanket on my bed, maybe I'll make a tuxedo out of it.

Yea at that cost you could my a tuxedo out of it although evertime I have been in one of those a was so blasted hot not sure I would want one.

But this might be the ticket to the pooling effect I had. Let me know how it goes

Rapt
11-08-2007, 13:04
Cavediver,

Your pooling was because you put it on the cold side of the insulation. A space blanket needs to be on the WARM side. This will be most effective for heat retention AND limit condensation.

neo
11-08-2007, 18:19
I went out for an over-nighter along the St Croix River in Wisconsin...just a walk-in campsite but I was alone so it was lovely...temps got down below freezing. There was a little drizzle just as I went to bed and a little snow just as I got up...frost on the tarp. I, unfortunately, went to bed dehydrated and woke up at 2am with frozen feet. I used a full length Exped Downmat 7, GoLite Fur quilt..maybe rated at 32F...I don't remember....I slept in silk longjohns and Montbell down pants and vest with extra clothing stuffed in the pockets...I sleep cold, only weigh 110, have pneumonia all the time due to past health issues so try to not get cold...didn't work but it wasn't the fault of the Clark...

I love that hammock! I disconnected the tarp from the hammock and added lines to the foot end of the tarp. I had 3 lines running to the tree...one for the tarp, one for the netting and one for the hammock body...this gave me what I wanted...the tarp was well above the netting, the netting (I used the supplied bungee cords...added separate lines to each to attach them to their respective tree) well above the body and the body a comfortable sitting distance from the ground.

I tied one side of the tarp closer to the ground to block the wind and used sticks to create a nice porch on the other side like I always do...no problems finding sticks on the ground in the Great Northwoods. I tied the foot ends of the tarp out using reflective lines so it was easy to find in the dark.

I closed up the Weathershield around 3am and that really worked well against the cold...it was 10 degrees warmer in the hammock than it was outside according to my thermometer...I left it open a tad to vent...

I added a mesh pocket on elastic lines to an inside ridgeline...this worked very nicely to hold my glasses and gave me something to attach my ever-present water bottle (I have no saliva glands so much always have water with me)..

This was my first night in the Clark so I expect to fine tune things as I go but I must say the Clark more than met my expectations...

Pictures are on Webshots:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/561328750gZWcWO

:) great hammock pics thanks:cool: neo

peanuts
11-12-2007, 11:21
awsome pics mataharihiker, it brings a lot of memories....
i do miss the midwest so much.....

Perkolady
11-12-2007, 16:23
mataharihiker, your photos and review helped answer the questions I was curious about with the Clark. THANKS ! :)

Perkolady

Mule
01-16-2008, 14:19
:) great hammock pics thanks:cool: neo
Neo!!!!!!! Did you used to have a Clark? Mule

JungleTrekker
01-16-2008, 19:47
Hey, thanks much for posting the pictures and doing the write-up. I'm waiting on some friends to bring my first Clark Camo Tropical to me when they come down next month. Mexico is not known for it' shipping services, not to mention the high import taxes, so I opted to have it hand delivered. Your photos show me more detail and design of the hammock than I can find elsewhere, even on the Clark web site. Sorry to hear you got cold feet. I suggest you get a small plastic trash bag and stick your feet it in when the temp drops too much. It can add 15 degrees to your lower body temperature. Moisture build up won't be a problem in the bag if you keep a top corner lifted just a bit. Best to you, JungleTrekker

slowhike
01-16-2008, 23:05
welcome to HF JungleTrekker. and thanks for writing the new article.
your web site looks great! i'll check it out better later. ..tim

moski
02-02-2008, 13:02
First post!
No lurking, just found this forum :)
I had my clark hammock since 2002.
I live in Sweden by the way :)

And recently i been thinking about installing small windows in the weathershield.

Last time i slept in the hammock, i was testing some winter gear in the back yard, it was about 10 F (-12C) so the grass was frozen and i could hear
animals walking in the grass ,around and under the hammock.

Probably just cats , but **** annoying.
Of course, they where gone by the time i have unzipped the hammock.

After that i started thinking about a window in the weathershield.

Then i looked through mataharihiker´s pictures and saw picture 15,
called "2ply's weathershield window".

Wow, all of the sudden i realized i been thinking to small.

That, just have to be custom made, or?

How do you do it?

Anyone got some tips?

Ps, sorry for any spelling or grammar faults, im Swedish after all :p

*EDIT*added a comma

slowhike
02-02-2008, 13:51
welcome to HF moski. i thought that was a pretty cool modification on 2ply's clark too.

i looked but didn't find anything about how he went about it, but as best i can remember, i believe he just marked where he wanted the window (probably w/ the clark suspended?) & cut out the section.
i don't remember if he folded & hemmed the edges of the weather shield, but i would think that to be a good idea.

so if it were me, i think i would cut & hem the window hole first, then cut the plastic over size, pin & sew it.
then trim away the extra plastic.

a good question would be were to find a good sheet plastic that would preform well in the temps you plan to use it.

TDunc
02-02-2008, 14:42
Look at some old automobile trim shops... Plyable plastic used to be used in rear windows of convertible tops. Hope this gets you headed in the right direction.

moski
02-02-2008, 16:23
welcome to HF moski. i thought that was a pretty cool modification on 2ply's clark too.

i looked but didn't find anything about how he went about it, but as best i can remember, i believe he just marked where he wanted the window (probably w/ the clark suspended?) & cut out the section.
i don't remember if he folded & hemmed the edges of the weather shield, but i would think that to be a good idea.

so if it were me, i think i would cut & hem the window hole first, then cut the plastic over size, pin & sew it.
then trim away the extra plastic.

a good question would be were to find a good sheet plastic that would preform well in the temps you plan to use it.

Thanks!

I think I'm okej with the window plastic
I bought this recently for my small windows:

Clear plastic sheeting perfect for outdoor and utility uses such as windows, protective covers, map cases, bags etc. With a thickness of 0,2 mm it is completely see-through and durable, yet quite flexible and easy to sew through. Stays flexible in the cold.
width: 137 cm
Weight: about 290g/m²

I hope it works!

I'm mostly concerned about the tension on PVC plastic and the seems!
And then i would like it to be neat as well :)
(Hey, i´m a middle age male and not that super handy with stiches and needles, but i´m learning)

I think the technic they use when they but in windows in boat covers,
are that they actually put the see through plastic where it should be, sew it on and then cut out the hole.

Its gonna be scary stuff though: eek:

Ps, sounds like you have seen it in real life, have you?

4D's said

Look at some old automobile trim shops... Plyable plastic used to be used in rear windows of convertible tops. Hope this gets you headed in the right direction.
I think i´m cool, but thanks!

slowhike
02-02-2008, 17:29
Thanks!

I think I'm okej with the window plastic
I bought this recently for my small windows:

Clear plastic sheeting perfect for outdoor and utility uses such as windows, protective covers, map cases, bags etc. With a thickness of 0,2 mm it is completely see-through and durable, yet quite flexible and easy to sew through. Stays flexible in the cold.
width: 137 cm
Weight: about 290g/m²

I hope it works!

I'm mostly concerned about the PVC plastic and the seems!
And then i would like it to be neat as well :)
(Hey, i´m a middle age male and not that super handy with stiches and needles, but i´m learning)

I think the technic they use when they but in windows in boat covers,
are that they actually put the see through plastic where it should be, sew it on and then cut out the hole.

Its gonna be scary stuff though: eek:

Ps, sounds like you have seen it in real life, have you?

4D's said

I think i´m cool, but thanks!

that sounds like it should work perfectly.
i don't think there should be much tension on the seams. i wouldn't think the weather shield would be stretched all that tight like a tarp would.
i've never seen it in person... just in that one picture... but the picture left an impression on me<g>.
i think it would be neat to see around on a cold, windy day while laying in the hammock!

moski
02-03-2008, 04:02
And you could see all those Wolfs / Lynx / (Hmm cats) , lurking around you
in the dark :)

Thank´s again Slowhike.

Annie
03-19-2008, 21:43
What about weight?

And can you use snakeskins on the Clark to pack it up?

Miguel
03-19-2008, 22:02
Nice hang!

My daughter has a Clark which she really likes but she did replace the tarp with one from the Sportsman's Guide. Too many bells and whistles according to her...especially in the dark.

At 6'2" I found it too short for my tastes although there are some features about it that I really like....such as the weather shield and the netting design. I'm not sure how the pockets stuffed with gear would work in conjunction with an underquilt. It's definitely a high quality item.

Miguel

cavediver2
03-20-2008, 08:51
My daughter has a Clark which she really likes but she did replace the tarp with one from the Sportsman's Guide. Too many bells and whistles according to her...especially in the dark.

At 6'2" I found it too short for my tastes although there are some features about it that I really like....such as the weather shield and the netting design. I'm not sure how the pockets stuffed with gear would work in conjunction with an underquilt. It's definitely a high quality item.

Miguel

So many people have asked for this so They are putting togeather a longer and wider version of the North America should be out very soon it will be nice to have some of my taller friend be able to get off the ground.

cavediver2
03-20-2008, 08:53
What about weight?

And can you use snakeskins on the Clark to pack it up?

I am not sure about snake skins for packing but you can pack it as small as a football in it's own pouch

mataharihiker
03-22-2008, 13:52
I tried my snakeskins on the NA before I sent them onto the friend who bought my Hennessy...I had the largest size snakeskins and they were too small for the NA...I don't remember if I tried it without the tarp or not...I love the ease of snakeskins...

JDHiker
04-23-2008, 15:07
Anybody dislike the inside pockets on the NA? I wish they were easier to get to like along the sides a little closer instead of at your head.

But love the hammock, still working on a pad or quilt.

jscalia
04-23-2008, 17:32
Yes, the inside pockets are definitely awkward. One of the pockets has an opening on two ends because it is meant to hold a pistol. Isnt that funny? I guess in Utah pistols are standard camping items.

Only in America!

photomankc
04-23-2008, 21:18
In Missouri too! Mine gets used. ;)

mataharihiker
05-01-2008, 11:13
I'm still learning to deal with them (inside pockets)...not sure what I'm going to use them for...I don't carry a gun...:D and, they're kinda weirdly placed...still, I'm inventive, I'll think of something...

cavediver2
05-01-2008, 12:10
I'm still learning to deal with them (inside pockets)...not sure what I'm going to use them for...I don't carry a gun...:D and, they're kinda weirdly placed...still, I'm inventive, I'll think of something...

great place to put your IPOD,Glasses ifin you dont have a ridgeline running through your home :D

cavediver2

mataharihiker
05-01-2008, 12:22
I'm one of the original ridgeline hangers...the first time I hung my Clark I added a ridgeline...I remember I DID put my iPod in one of the the head pockets...
http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/7244/2377769320046140551S425x425Q85.jpg

photomankc
05-01-2008, 12:44
That's what my other pocket got used for. Headlamp and MP3 player full of audio book goodness!

6 feet over
05-03-2008, 01:41
I used the pocket for a pistol as well. I'll have to think about an inside ridgeline to hang stuff. (light, gps, etc.)

bear bag hanger
05-03-2008, 10:08
Enjoyed the pictures. I've always had a question about Clark hammocks. I'm sure I'm wrong about this, but it looks like if you zipped up both sides of the weather shield, you could wind up with no air exchange and possibly suffocate?

mataharihiker
05-03-2008, 10:18
I would NEVER zip up the Weathershield completely but that's not because there would be any risk of suffocation...you don't risk suffocation in a tent, do you? Think of the Weathershield as a rainfly...it simply is not airtight...condensation would be the issue...

6 feet over
05-04-2008, 00:27
I just left one side open with a 27 degree overnight low. I don't see the need to close both sides of the shield.

bear bag hanger
05-04-2008, 08:57
I would NEVER zip up the Weathershield completely but that's not because there would be any risk of suffocation...you don't risk suffocation in a tent, do you?

Well, yes it's possible. Modern tents all have holes, etc. for ventilation. I've gotten some pretty good headaches from closing up a tent too much when I first started hiking about forty years ago.

mataharihiker
05-04-2008, 10:12
How do you know it was carbon monoxide poisoning? I'm sorry, I've never heard of such a thing except winter camping with an inside stove and I began solo camping in 1966...

RAW
05-04-2008, 11:17
The few nights I've spent with the weathershield zipped up . . . . I just left about a 3-4 inch gap near the "ridgeline." And I could definitely feel the fresh air coming through that gap. No problems with air coming in.

In colder conditions, I could see how condensation might be an issue. But I'll have to test that next year I guess.:D

JDHiker
05-06-2008, 14:04
Hmmm carbon dioxide... suffocation.. no wonder I sleep so well when I zip up :P

Haven't had a problem yet with condensation when zipped tight... My ground tent was a single wall and it would be dripping by morn if I zipped everything up.

As for the pockets, I would like to see them a little closer.. although if they were they would get in the way of your head or shoulders..... I see their point now... now I have to get a pistol just so I can use the pocket correctly :)

dufus934
05-06-2008, 16:52
Just throwing this out there, but I think I see a Rapala fillet knift that I see hanging in a bag in your hammock? I only ask cause I've had one for years that looks a lot like the one you're got in your pic.

mataharihiker
05-07-2008, 11:42
Just throwing this out there, but I think I see a Rapala fillet knift that I see hanging in a bag in your hammock? I only ask cause I've had one for years that looks a lot like the one you're got in your pic.

yep...Rapala fillet knife...