PDA

View Full Version : What is that on the edge of the Stormcrow underquilt?

Lando
09-23-2010, 14:56
I was looking around at some of the underquilts from Stormcrow...etc and noticed a black edging on the edge of the UQ.
What is that material? Grosgrain? Double fold bias tape?
I am trying to plan out some of my own diy gear andlooking for ideas.
Here is the link:
http://hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_6_12&products_id=7

Shug
09-23-2010, 15:01
It is the channel for the suspension.......
Shug

Dblcorona
09-23-2010, 15:05
Not sure if his is grosgrain, but that's what I used for my channel. Worked great after you iron it in half.

JerryW
09-23-2010, 16:01
If he doesn't see this thread, send stormcrow a PM. I'm sure he would be happy to help you out. That's the kind of guy he is. :)

Jerry

Lando
09-23-2010, 16:18
I was thinking it was grosgrain.
So you can iron the stuff in half prior to sewing it onto a finished/hemmed seam?

stormcrow
09-23-2010, 16:32
Hi everyone. That stuff on the edges is in fact grosgrain. I am currently using 1.5" grosgrain for the channels to allow for easy movement of the quilt along the shock cord. Of course it is doubled over and becomes a 3/4" width edge. I might get away with using a smaller grosgrain but I have worked with the 1.5" for a while and really like it. It might add a fraction of an oz to the quilt but, oh well. FYI the corners of the quilts use 1" grosgrain.

I AM looking to get away from the grosgrain altogether but I am still tweaking the new design. It may lighten things up a little. The new, lighter, 20 Denier fabric I will be offering very soon might help a little as well...:D sshhh

As far as working with the grosgrain. I am still doing it old school. I just bury the needle in the work, hold the grosgrain about 12" or so away from the needle, and feed it in. No ironing or pinning. Takes too long. Back when i started, I could not fathom how anyone could stitch the top and it not be all over the place on the part of the ribbon that was folded underneath. Now, it just works right every time.

I plan to get some attachments for my Juki that can handle the Grosgrain ribbon soon. This will speed things up a little. I have tried a couple but they not made well and were not really up to the job. I have to send some materials to a place where they will actually build the attachment.

Sorry if my rambling got too far away from the OP question....I am a little loopy right now from lack of sleep :lol: There are some hangs coming up in the next month or so that I really want to get to (read" NEED TO ESCAPE). :lol::lol:

~Stormcrow

Hawk-eye
09-23-2010, 18:07
Well Adam ... I know one hang that would be happy to see you able to make it! ;)

Jsaults
09-23-2010, 18:50
If you make the tunnels too small you risk binding as they compress. REI sells some handy net stuffsacks, but they make the tunnels too tight and it is sometimes near impossible to cinch things up.

Jim

G.L.P.
09-25-2010, 16:30
Hi everyone. That stuff on the edges is in fact grosgrain. I am currently using 1.5" grosgrain for the channels to allow for easy movement of the quilt along the shock cord. Of course it is doubled over and becomes a 3/4" width edge. I might get away with using a smaller grosgrain but I have worked with the 1.5" for a while and really like it. It might add a fraction of an oz to the quilt but, oh well. FYI the corners of the quilts use 1" grosgrain.

I AM looking to get away from the grosgrain altogether but I am still tweaking the new design. It may lighten things up a little. The new, lighter, 20 Denier fabric I will be offering very soon might help a little as well...:D sshhh

As far as working with the grosgrain. I am still doing it old school. I just bury the needle in the work, hold the grosgrain about 12" or so away from the needle, and feed it in. No ironing or pinning. Takes too long. Back when i started, I could not fathom how anyone could stitch the top and it not be all over the place on the part of the ribbon that was folded underneath. Now, it just works right every time.

I plan to get some attachments for my Juki that can handle the Grosgrain ribbon soon. This will speed things up a little. I have tried a couple but they not made well and were not really up to the job. I have to send some materials to a place where they will actually build the attachment.

Sorry if my rambling got too far away from the OP question....I am a little loopy right now from lack of sleep :lol: There are some hangs coming up in the next month or so that I really want to get to (read" NEED TO ESCAPE). :lol::lol:

~Stormcrow

i do the same thing adam...just fold and feed :D