PDA

View Full Version : Temptrol Fabric

cameronjreed
11-07-2007, 11:01
I have just requested a sample of this fabric (material)...

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.htm

I am seeing all sorts of possibilities with this stuff.
Anyone ever had experience with this stuff? Thoughts?

Cannibal
11-07-2007, 11:22
How does "17.3 lb M/sf" translate? Is that square foot, meter, both, or what? Sounds heavy.

Rapt
11-07-2007, 11:32
i'd read that as 17.3 pounds mass per square foot. In other words heavy! Although this seems too heavy.

Its .010" thick this is quite thick...

kohburn
11-07-2007, 11:35
need a sample to see how flexible it is. could make for a good layer in an underquilt. or heck if its good enough just a hammock liner.

Cannibal
11-07-2007, 11:40
i'd read that as 17.3 pounds mass per square foot. In other words heavy! Although this seems too heavy.

Its .010" thick this is quite thick...

So what's the problem with a 103 lb UQ? :p :D

kohburn
11-07-2007, 11:41
thats heavier than gold. 1 sqft of gold .01 thick would weigh under 12 pounds

so something is wrong with the unit or a typo on the site

Cannibal
11-07-2007, 11:45
My bet is they put the decimal in the wrong spot. Still would mean a UQ of about 7 or 8 pounds; might be good for car camping.

Cannibal
11-07-2007, 11:46
I just crossed the 1000 post barrier; I gotta learn to shut-up.

cameronjreed
11-07-2007, 11:52
I sent them an email and they responded VERY quickly. Here is there response to what 17.3 lbs M/Sq ft. means....

""M" is 1000, so it's about 17lbs per 1000 square feet.
It is very light weight, as you'll notice when you receive the sample."

Let's do some math to figure out the weight per sq. yard...

17 lbs * 16oz (per pound) = 276.8 oz per 1000 square feet.

276.8/1000 = .2768 oz/square feet.

.2768 oz/sq ft. * 9 (# of sq ft in a yard) = 2.4912 oz./sq yard.

NOT BAD!!
Tell me if you see errors in the math.

kohburn
11-07-2007, 11:53
ooh i want a sample

Cannibal
11-07-2007, 11:53
I should have known that from my roofing days; memory sure does fade fast. Sorry. :o

Rapt
11-07-2007, 11:57
Oh ok.... They shoulda had it on the other side of the slash...

Makes more sense... about 2.4 oz per sq yd...

cameronjreed
11-07-2007, 12:06
ooh i want a sample

Here is the email that I received from the sales person at the company....

Thank you for your interest. I will send you a sample of
Temptrol along with one of our Temptrol brochures. Innovative Insulation
is the world's largest manufacturer of radiant barrier products. With a
wholesale price of about 60% compared to the less efficient,
conventional insulated fabrics, and a 95% heat block offered by our
radiant barrier products, we hope you consider its use. I thought, while
your packet is on its way to you, you might like some additional
information. Although Temptrol typically comes in 10 linear yard rolls
(59" widths), we are currently selling Temptrol Bedwarmers which are
large enough to fit a Queen size bed. This would be a terrific sleeping
bag liner that you can buy for just $10 each (not including shipping). I
am attaching a copy of our product data sheet and price list. If you
have any other questions or would like to place an order, feel free to
give us a call at 1-800-825-0123. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Luke Rogers
Innovative Insulation Inc
6200 W Pioneer Pkwy
Arlington, TX 76013
Phone: 817-446-6200
Fax: 817-446-6222

$10.00 for a queen sized sheet of it is NOT bad at all. Might just have to get some.:cool:

kohburn
11-07-2007, 12:10
hell thats what you would pay for one of those space blanket tarps.

nogods
11-07-2007, 12:50
I already missed out on the gossamer 1/4 wide pads and the 12 x 12 neo tarp, so i jumped right on this and ordered 2 - with shipping it comes to $40 total - but I'll use them for my bed if it doesn't work out with the hammocks.

The sales man told me that you still need some space between the heat source and the foil side for the radiate heat blocking properties to work - so we may have to attach them like an underquilt - which raises issues about keeping them dry. However, he said that if you put it in the hammock and have the foil side facing the ground that it would still work because it blocks transfer of heat to cold from either side - I'm no scientist but sounds a little suspect to me.

In any event, I spent the $40 to be the test dummy for the forum so all of you can save your money if it fails - my little contribution back for all the info I've gathered here

kohburn
11-07-2007, 13:10
all radiant barriers need an airspace to block radiation. otherwise they are just blocking conduction. a layer of fleece is usualy used. if you made an underquilt using 2 layers of synthetic with this in the middle it would work correctly.

nogods
11-07-2007, 13:21
lol...you got to watch the "educational" video...uses terms like "space-age technology" - and the guy has a real bad haircut - I think the stuff is just aluminum foil attached to polyethylene.

I just had this thought - this stuff should work as a liner for the Clark storage pockets - they are designed to sag away from the hammock. But then - why couldn't I just stick aluminum foil in the storage pockets?

kohburn
11-07-2007, 13:45
lol...you got to watch the "educational" video...uses terms like "space-age technology" - and the guy has a real bad haircut - I think the stuff is just aluminum foil attached to polyethylene.

I just had this thought - this stuff should work as a liner for the Clark storage pockets - they are designed to sag away from the hammock. But then - why couldn't I just stick aluminum foil in the storage pockets?

you can. but its crinkly

JoeHiker
11-07-2007, 15:18
How does that weight compare to other fabrics like Spinnaker and the like?

kohburn
11-07-2007, 15:49
its only about half an oz heavier than uncoated 1.9oz ripstop..
so its quite resonable.

seems farely strong though not tear resistant

TENSILE STRENGTH: 47.0 lb/in width
TEAR STRENGTH: 6.0 lb/in width

so a hammock 40" wide it could theoretically hold 1880lb.. but any stress risers (knots, pinches, creases, uneven loading, etc) and it would tear easily.

nogods
11-14-2007, 14:14
I just got the two blankets I ordered. First, they could have been shipped by USPS for about $2 each instead of the $10 each they charged me. Second, the aluminum coating comes off at all the creases when you fold it and wherever you touch it. It will shortly be a white poly sheet with no reflective properties whatsoever.

Here's a picture of the backside (the non-silver side) of the sheet up against my sliding glass door - the light spots are where the aluminum coating on the silver side has worn off just from my handeling of the sheet. I can't imagine how it would hold up in a washihng machine.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/8/2/8/temptrolsheet.JPG

I called the company and told them about my dissatisfaction. The said I could return the bed sheets for a refund less "a restocking fee"...why would someone restock a defective product? are they going to try to pawn this off on someone else?

Instead I'll just warn others not to buy the product.

kohburn
11-14-2007, 14:55
i still want to experiment with this stuff a little. feel like pawning off one of them on me?

Cannibal
11-14-2007, 14:57
Bummer; I was looking forward to some good news about this stuff.

nickelanddime
11-14-2007, 16:27
cameronjreed - have you seen the adventure medical "heat sheet" at rei? it's made with polyetheline instead of polypropolene, I was wondering if you thought they were comprable?

nogods
11-14-2007, 17:11
I sent an email complaint and pics of the sheet to innovative and they just sent back and email stating they will make an exception and refund cost and shipping if I return the sheets to them - so back they go

Rapt
11-15-2007, 08:15
This is a fairly common issue with aluminized plastics.

kohburn
11-15-2007, 08:23
i wonder if a DWR coatign would help protect the aluminum without affecting the heat reflictiveness too much.

nickelanddime
11-16-2007, 08:33
the aluminum is put on there by vapor deposition... putting a layer of anything on top of the layer of aluminum that isn't really stuck to the mylar will just make it look like the mylar is molting

cameronjreed
11-16-2007, 11:49
cameronjreed - have you seen the adventure medical "heat sheet" at rei? it's made with polyetheline instead of polypropolene, I was wondering if you thought they were comprable?

I have read about the Heet Sheets, but I have no expereince with them.
A quick google turned up the following...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Heet-Sheet-King-Size-Thermal-Bed-Cover-NEW_W0QQitemZ250186777392QQihZ015QQcategoryZ66735Q QcmdZViewItem

I am disappointed to hear about this materials extraordinary shortcomings (ESPECIALLY the bad customer service)
Thanks for warning us.

kohburn
11-16-2007, 11:54
don't know any details about it. it may still be a vapor barrier just like the plain mylar space blanket.

hrose77
05-31-2013, 20:30
Any thoughts on using this material to make a cocoon around a hammock for winter camping? I'm still trying to work out a solution for the canadian winters! I would put a spot in the bottom to put a foam pad for extra insulation (dead air space). The weigh would be good and I'm sure it would roll up tight, keeping the pack size ok. I checked out the material and it is water resistant, but regardless I don't think it would have to be wind/waterproof! Any thoughts? Breath ability?

hrose77
05-31-2013, 20:38
I just read back! That really is to bad about that product! I have a jacket that has a tinfoil like lining in it. Thing is super hot and the material is sturdy. I'm going to look into what the material they us.