PDA

View Full Version : New Member and Hammock Convert

spaceweaseal
11-09-2007, 15:04
Hello all
Im new to the site and new to hammock camping. Two weeks ago i was on a short 2 day hike with a friend, and was introduced to the Heenessy Expidition ASYM hammock and had to try it..I ended up having to bribe my friend, to use his hammock the second night, and had the best sleep i have ever had out in the bush..So when i got home i got on the net and started shopping for me one, and found the Heenessy site. I got in on the holiday sail and ordered me the Expidition ASYM, and got the free hex fly and t-shirt with it, and ordered the snake skins.
I absolutly love this hammock, and after reading this forum for the past week i found out about the Odds and ends sale that hennessy has, so i just ordered me a Explorer Deluxe A-sym lounger today for $69.."Great deal". It is just like the Deluxe Hammock minus the netting. (it comes with everything elese)
I will never go back to the ground.:D

A side note: I am very impressed with there customer service. They have been very quick to respond to every e-male i have sent and very helpful over the phone.

Iafte
11-09-2007, 15:28
Welcome to the site. :)

Just Jeff
11-09-2007, 15:32
Yep - welcome. Hammocking has a learning curve so if you can't figure out why you were cold one night or why you wake up with some ache or pain you never had before, be sure to come here and ask before you get frustrated!

spaceweaseal
11-09-2007, 15:45
Yep - welcome. Hammocking has a learning curve so if you can't figure out why you were cold one night or why you wake up with some ache or pain you never had before, be sure to come here and ask before you get frustrated!

Lol
Thank you, and for now i have not had any problems setting up or sleeping in it yet..I Have used it in the back yard the last three nights with my Military sleep system, "Just the gortex bivy and the cold weather bag. Not the patrol bag" and have been tosty. It did take alittle getting used to getting in my bag, but i think i have the "Hammock Shuffle" down now...Here in Az the night temps have gotten down in the mid 40's and get's very windy, and with my sleep system i have not been even chilled, i still have the outher bag to add for cooler weather..

spaceweaseal
11-09-2007, 15:48
By the way Jeff your reviews and tips along with Sgtt Rocks helped alot..
Thank You for so much valuable information.

FanaticFringer
11-09-2007, 16:03
Welcome Spaceweaseal.

headchange4u
11-09-2007, 16:24
Welcome to the forums.

slowhike
11-09-2007, 21:28
welcome to HF spaceweaseal.
i'm guessing that you'll sometimes be quite a bit more challenged to find two strong supports to hang your hammock from in AZ.?
one or two anchors of some kind used by rock climbers might come in handy, as well a a little extra length on your rope or webbing supports.

spaceweaseal
11-09-2007, 22:16
welcome to HF spaceweaseal.
i'm guessing that you'll sometimes be quite a bit more challenged to find two strong supports to hang your hammock from in AZ.?
one or two anchors of some kind used by rock climbers might come in handy, as well a a little extra length on your rope or webbing supports.

Very true but i go up around flagstaff and Kingman, and there are plenty of trees there to hang from, but here around the Phoenix area it can be a issue, but im Very close to the Tonto National forest, "About 45min from my house" and there are plenty of places to hang there as well. If i was not moving back to TX, "If my house ever sells here" i prob would of not gotten the hammock, but then again im one of the only house's in my neiborhood that has trees in my back yard....I had two big ficus trees planted as soon as the house was built and they are aprox 18' apart so atleast i have the back yard....lol

nogods
11-09-2007, 22:31
I had two big ficus trees planted as soon as the house was built and they are aprox 18' apart so atleast i have the back yard....lol

are ficus trees the ones that grow multipe trunks that wrap around each other?

spaceweaseal
11-09-2007, 22:46
are ficus trees the ones that grow multipe trunks that wrap around each other?

No they are like fig trees or ash trees They have a small to med trunks, but grow very quick and can get quit large and provide excelent shade. I do know what you mean there are some ficus that develope the braided roots or trunks but the ones we have, (ill have to ask the wife what kind they are) look more like white ash trees....

Mule
11-10-2007, 15:26
Welcome SpaceWeisel. I too am new on the site. Are you coming to the Hangout next weekend? Live long and prosper.

spaceweaseal
11-10-2007, 16:56
Welcome SpaceWeisel. I too am new on the site. Are you coming to the Hangout next weekend? Live long and prosper.

Im in az and dont think there are any around here.

buckowens
11-11-2007, 08:39
Welcome! I am also trying to figure it all out and have found that all the people here are invaluable. I am working on a quicker and easier suspension system for my Backpacker Ultralight and Expedition Asym and have found tons of information.

Rock posted some good info on putting a military poncho liner into use with the hammock, although I have not had a chance to make one.

Good luck and enjoy!

OldnSlow
11-11-2007, 10:51
It would be hard to find a more knowledgeable, more polite group of hangers! Good on ya for joining. Welcome, and enjoy.

John

Cannibal
11-13-2007, 09:00
spaceweasel- Welcome to the forum! Cool username. :cool:

spaceweaseal
11-13-2007, 14:48
Thanks for all the warm welcomes.
"The bug has bitten me!"
I got in on the Odds and Ends sale, and now i have the EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM lounger without the netting on the way. "It was a pretty good deal at $69". It comes with every thing the Deluxe model comes with minus the netting, and i got the extra long tree huggers with it..
Now i will have two HH's..