PDA

View Full Version : Testing out my IX UQ

Strapped-4-Cache
10-02-2010, 20:05
Cooler weather has allowe me to finally test out the IXUQ that I purchased from MacEntyre several months ago. I've read loads of good reports about them on this forum and have looked forward to using mine.

I've used an SPE until now, so I've never mounted an UQ on my hammock. After a bit of trial and error, and looking over some threads on here, I got it strung up and began to get it adjusted. I was amazed at the difference it made!

Based on what I had read I knew that the IX needed some space between the hammock and the UQ in order to insulate properly, and it needs to seal along the edges while sagging enough to provide the insulating dead air space.

Since my wife wasn't busy this afternoon I asked her if she'd mind coming outside and checking the UQ for the proper fit. We talked a bit and she convinced me that I shoujld be the one to test the fit since I'd know what to look for while she was in the hammock.

Long story short, my wife ended up in my WBBB while I adjusted the UQ suspension to get the fit just right. She then spent the next few hours enjoying the afternoon napping in MY very cozy hammock, thanks to the UQ. I'm glad to have an option other than the SPE now, though I can still use it in conjunction with the UQ when I expect a really cold night.

I'll be taking the Mac's UQ with me to Tallulah Gorge in a couple of weeks for a group camping trip, and I'm looking forward to spreading the hammock gospel again to my friends who still insist on sleeping on the hard, uneven ground. They admit they're impressed that I can get my tarp and hammock up in less time than they can manage to get halfway done with their tents and bivys. I like that I don't wake up grunting and groaning, and don't wake up in a puddle on a rainy night. Now I get to stay toasty warm on the upcoming fall nights as well, without having the rigid pad under me that I used to place between the layers.

Thanks, Mac!

- Mark (S-4-C)

Bunk
10-02-2010, 20:15
Cool, I've yet to try mine out...fingers crossed for an overnighter this monday/tuesday.

Do you have any IX inserts or are you simply using the IXUQ?

Would love to see some pictures!

Strapped-4-Cache
10-02-2010, 20:22
Pictures! Crud, I completely forgot. Since the hammock pirate had taken the BB hostage I busied myself comparing the boil and burn times of a military Trangia and a military SVEA with both aluminum and stainless pots.

Interesting results, BTW, but not pertinent to this thread.

Refocusing on hammocks...

Bunk
10-02-2010, 20:35
:laugh:

I keep mine hidden in my home, lol!

SteelerNation
10-02-2010, 21:38
Just tested my new Shamu IX UQ last night and was very pleased with it. I added a small S-Biner to keep the UQ secured to the left-side tie-out on my WBBB, which kept everything perfectly positioned on my shoulders. I'm still playing with making sure that the UQ is properly positioned around the footbox as I get in and out.

Not that cold - only got down to around 58, but I'm in GA, so that's about as cold as it will get for a while :cool:

I did the same routine with getting my wife to help me position everything and there were amazing cold drafts everytime she moved the UQ. I must say, so far, so good!

Thanks MacEntyre!

Strapped-4-Cache
10-04-2010, 18:23
Pics as promised.

I messaged MacEntyre to get some information about the Shamu/Orca construction since I wanted to add an undercover. After tacking the two IX layers together, darting the shell and running a seam around the edge, I now have a digital camo IXUQ!

Forgive the poor yardwork in the pictures. I haven't made the time to rake the grass and clear the island. Spending time with the thread injector instead of the yard maintenance tools tends to do that. I don't think I can convince my wife to allow me to let the yard go back to a "natural" state to make the hanging experience more like camping, but I can dream. :)

Here's a shot of it on the table after adding the shell:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/Strapped-4-Cache/Camping%20Stuff/BBIXUQ7.jpg

Here's a pic of the entry side of my BB with the UQ attached:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/Strapped-4-Cache/Camping%20Stuff/BBIXUQ3.jpg

And here's a pic of the shelf side of the BB with the UQ attached:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/Strapped-4-Cache/Camping%20Stuff/BBIXUQ4.jpg

- Mark (S-4-C)

Buffalo Skipper
10-05-2010, 11:55
Prehaps I am stating the obvious here, but should IX be considered a vapor barrier?

Lonely Raven
10-05-2010, 12:02
Prehaps I am stating the obvious here, but should IX be considered a vapor barrier?

There are several threads about this already. Supposedly it breathes.

chickenwing
10-05-2010, 12:08
There are several threads about this already. Supposedly it breathes.

I even heard stories about it generating an area of negative gravity immediately around the hammocker:scared:
...but I'm just gonna chalk that up to rumor:rolleyes:. i do know that you don't want to forget that you have a layer of IX in a UQ when you put you gear in the dryer:( even on LOW heat not good things happen

Lonely Raven
10-05-2010, 12:11
I even heard stories about it generating an area of negative gravity immediately around the hammocker:scared:

That would certainly help me sleep better. :laugh:

MacEntyre
10-05-2010, 12:46
Per the manufacturer, "Insultex™ has a melting point of 194°F"

chickenwing
10-05-2010, 13:00

and a sticking together point of "the low setting" on my dryer:( Still works tho. I hung comfortably last night down to 45* with one layer of Climashield xp (2.5oz) and one layer of "dryer" IX. I was comfortable the entire night. I used a 30* Alps Mtneering mummy bag converted to TQ and 15# mini-dachshund as a foot warmer.

Strapped-4-Cache
10-05-2010, 14:12

Note to self:

DO NOT put your new UQ in the dryer! Hand wash and line dry!

mbaker
10-11-2010, 11:37
I have also been experimenting with an IX underquilt. I took DWR ripstop and sewed in a heat sheet, then have one layer of Insultex over the heat sheet. Note in my picture that I have installed a draw string to close up the ends of the underquilt.
So far I have been toasty at 45 degrees. I am waiting on colder weather for further testing.

sir_n0thing
10-11-2010, 22:56
I got to see Canoeski's "baby orca" insultex/nylon UQ this past weekend. The thing is tiny and light! Nifty little piece of gear.