PDA

View Full Version : Cold climate hamocking question ?

Indy
10-04-2010, 20:57
G'day folks ...

Been reading on the UQ and TQ ...and just wondering if you can use a 3 piece sleeping bag with a pad instead of the UQ and TQ ...I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it in the winter ?

Thanks In advance !
:)

BrianWillan
10-04-2010, 21:13
G'day folks ...

Been reading on the UQ and TQ ...and just wondering if you can use a 3 piece sleeping bag with a pad instead of the UQ and TQ ...I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it in the winter ?

Thanks In advance !
:)

Indy

Are you referring to the Military Modular Sleep system or the Extreme Cold Weather Sleep system? If you are those are like 9 pound monster sleeping bags and the answer to your question, is yes they've been used in cold temperatures. Look for posts from the user "Randy", I believe he has one and tested it out.

Cheers

Brian

Bunk
10-04-2010, 22:06
I can barely get into my U.S. Modular bag on the ground...I think I'd crack my head open if I try to get in the thing while hanging!

That being said I may use the two insulating layers (black and olive) as a top quilt on my next trip.

Just Jeff
10-04-2010, 23:00
My first hammocking night in the 30s, I used the Wiggys version of the modular system. I had three layers of bag under me (two layers of the 0F bag and one layer of the 30F bag) and one layer of the 30F bag over me. I was absolutely frigid on bottom b/c it was windy.

In a sleeping bag, you compress the insulation that you're laying on so it's not very helpful. Add to that the fact that wind is blowing your heat away from below, and bags just don't work very well for winter hammocking. At least not as your bottom insulation...I've used bags in the hammock in addition to pads or UQs.

There's a reason this community has put so much effort into designing UQs when there was already a plethora of sleeping bags to choose from. :jj:

Indy
10-05-2010, 07:53
Thanks guys ....yes I was speaking of the modular sleeping bag ..and Jeff this makes allot of sence ...I will look into the under quilts a bit more .