PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlite

River Runner
11-14-2006, 02:49
I just purchased a Hennessy Hammock Hyperlite and have to say it looks fantastic (I haven't had time yet to set it up for a trial run). I was a surprised to see it has a larger (and 1.2 oz heavier) fly than my ultralite. My weight savings will be a little less than the 8 oz advertised over the Ultralite, but still 5.3 oz, or 6.5 if I take my older Ultralite fly.

Peter_pan
11-14-2006, 09:07
I just purchased a Hennessy Hammock Hyperlite and have to say it looks fantastic (I haven't had time yet to set it up for a trial run). I was a surprised to see it has a larger (and 1.2 oz heavier) fly than my ultralite. My weight savings will be a little less than the 8 oz advertised over the Ultralite, but still 5.3 oz, or 6.5 if I take my older Ultralite fly.

Small flys are a false economy in potentially bad and/or prolonged bad weather....IMHO.

Pan

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 09:17
I have to agree with Pan.

A HH stock tarp doesn't give you the coverage you need in heavy/blowing rain. I stopped using my stock tarp not long after buying my HH.

FanaticFringer
11-14-2006, 18:29
I have the Hyperlight as well. The only time I can think of that the stock fly would be o.k would be in warm weather when you know there is close to zero chance of rain. Ouside of that senario, you really need a bigger-nicer tarp. Many enjoy the McCat tarp which is currently not being made. I have the JRB 8X8 and it works great. Check this out.....www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

Just Jeff
11-14-2006, 20:11
Sgt Rock went thru a hurricane with the stock HH tarp...so if you have the skills you don't need a bigger tarp. Sure is convenient, though...gives you room to cook and dress, not to mention a bigger margin of error in staying dry.

titanium_hiker
11-14-2006, 20:37
some of us idiots need that extra margin... :rolleyes:

Coffee
11-14-2006, 20:43
TH

Don't worry, I don't have any skills either.:D

Just Jeff
11-14-2006, 20:46
Hehe - I carry either the JRB or the MacCat...I'm with ya.

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 20:53
Poor neo has that 12x12 tarp...... ;) :D

River Runner
11-14-2006, 22:46
I'll have to measure the fly provided with the Hyperlite - it is quite a bit larger than the one with my older Ultralite. It's also more squared on the diagonals.

I've had the stock Ultralite fly out in heavy rain several times, and haven't had a problem at all - but I will admit I haven't experienced severe wind along with rain. That could be a different story I know.

I do have one of the silnylon hex flys and if I expect a lot of rain I usually switch from the stock fly to the hex fly. For good weather I much prefer the more open views and breezes of the stock fly. It's good to have choices. :D

River Runner

jlb2012
11-15-2006, 07:20
I found the JRB 8x8 to be good but a touch short for my Explorer Deluxe so I almost always use my MacCat Titan

Peter_pan
11-15-2006, 09:28
I found the JRB 8x8 to be good but a touch short for my Explorer Deluxe so I almost always use my MacCat Titan

HOI is right on the small fit on the HH Explorer.... The JRB 8x8 is not recommended for the HH Explorer and any other 10 foot or larger models, such as the TC JH ....

The JRB 8x8 tarp was designed to fit the HH BUL, HH ELR, HH AR, HH Exped, HH HL, HH Scout, TC Mosquito, TC Exped, Beyer Traveller, Beyer moskito, M1965 JH and civilian Knock offs, Eagles nest singles and doubles, Travel pod and most all other top loading hammocks.

It is limited to this size by the available width of quality silnyl, due to its unique triangle panels and center ridgeline joining seam....

FWIW, this is the lightest two panel, reasonable coverage aftermarket hammock tarp, and least expensive ( currently 20 percent off of even that)....good comparision chart link in earlier post.

As Co Owner JRB I may be biased.

Pan

Arkwater
11-15-2006, 09:36
It is limited to this size by the available width of quality silnyl, due to its unique triangle panels and center ridgeline joining seam....

Pan

Pan, you should find out where this (http://www.owareusa.com/) comes from (check their fabrics section for 72") and check into making a larger version.

Peter_pan
11-15-2006, 09:48
Pan, you should find out where this (http://www.owareusa.com/) comes from (check their fabrics section for 72") and check into making a larger version.

Arkwater,

We use the Cordura Silnyl at its current max width.

We do keep an eye out.... and not all silnyls are equal....

Cuben is a whole other world... light, non woven, expensive... some cutting edge stuff done by a few on backpackinglight...

Pan

Arkwater
11-15-2006, 09:55
Have you had any exp with their 72" sil? I was thinking about getting some, but if its sub-par I'll skip it.

headchange4u
11-15-2006, 11:21
Peter,

I have been interested in Cuben fiber ever since redaing about it. It looks very "plasticy" in the pics I have seen. Does it have more of a cloth feel or more like plastic?

Peter_pan
11-15-2006, 13:04
Arkwater.... Have a silnyl Oware tarp, circa 2002... fine tarp, no issues, excellent construction... infact, Oware has a great reputation for tarps...

Headchange4u... don't have any experiance, at this time, with cuben... have read that some think it is hard to sew... biggest issue, I believe, is that it should be carefully used due to thinness and being a laminated material vs woven.... some of it is quite light... very pricey.

Pan