PDA

View Full Version : gossamer gear thinlight question

turk
11-12-2007, 22:39
I have been sifting through some posts here about the gossamer gear thinlight pads. I would like to add a 1/4" GG thinlight pad to a 3/8" CCF pad, to hopefully extend the temp range a good ways. Does anyone know if this could be done with an adhesive of some kind? I am not sure what exactly the material is that the thinlights are made out of. It is called Evazote®. that doesn't mean much to me. I guess I am worried that the wrong adhesive product could eat through one of the pads, or not be able to stand up to the constant rolling and unrolling.
Anyone have a reason not to try this?
Anyone suggest a good adhesive?

oh i also forgot to ask. Would it be more beneficial to find a way to attach 1/4" thinlight to a 3/8" thinlight . And would that give me much greater insulation than a 1/4" thinlight on a standard blue 3/8" CCF pad?

warbonnetguy
11-12-2007, 23:39
i would think ccf should be ok as far holding up to the chemicals.

you should try "barge cement", it's what they use to glue rubber tread to ccf footbeds, and it should stay flexible. put the thinnest possible layer on both surfaces, let dry 10 mins or so (til no longer wet, it will still be really tacky) and stick em together and place something heavy on it for a while if possible. i have used it for re-soleing my climbing shoes, but i know shoe resolers use it in conjunction with shoes that have foam footbeds with rubber soles, so it should work good with ccf. i think evazote is actually what they use on top end running shoe footbeds.

bmike
11-13-2007, 07:03
i asked GG about gluing pads together and in an email they recommended 'gorilla tape'. i think its by the same folks who make gorrilla bran wood glue...
have not tried it yet - but my plan was to cut my 1/4" in half and glue it to a 3/8".

Rapt
11-13-2007, 07:55
Evazote is foamed EVA plastic...

But the advice of Warbonnet is right on... Good shoes use the same material for the "cushy" part of the sole.

headchange4u
11-13-2007, 10:55
Barge Cement (sold at shoe repair shops) works great on the GG pads. I made a cozy from some of the scrap material from my GG pad using barge cement and it work wonders. I think JRB uses Barge cement to attach the Omni tape to their pad converters.

turk
11-13-2007, 18:08
great advice. Thank you much everyone.

Ewker
11-13-2007, 20:05
didn't Sgt Rock use Gorilla glue to glue his 2 pads together?

headchange4u
11-13-2007, 21:01
Gorilla Glue kinda foams up and gets thicker as it dries. You gotta be careful with it. I've never glued anything flexible with Gorilla Glue. Isn't it kind of stiff when it dries?

ryndel
11-13-2007, 23:02
Yeah, gorilla glue foams up and expands as it dries. it does get stiff.

the gorilla tape is like old school duct tape. super thick and super sticky.