PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary test of Universal IX UQ…

Kokak
10-05-2010, 12:08
Received my Uni-IX-UQ last week from MacEntyre (actually these were made and shipped from TTTG), got to say; he was a pleasure to talk with and do business with. I finally got to perform a preliminary test before I take it up to the Sierras this weekend (lows expected to be in the upper 29*+.
So here are my initial results:

Product: Universal Full Length IX UnderQuilt
Additional IX Layer
TopQuilt: None
Pillow: Therm-a-Rest Compressible pillow
Temp: 60*+
Raining
Clothing: Sweats and a T-Shirt

Played around with the suspension, 2 pieces of shock cord attached to tabs on the underquilt, to try and get a good seal on the foot and shoulder sections of the underquilt. Managed to get the foot section to seal easily, then played around with the shoulder section, but never was able to get it to seal as good as the foot section. There was a little bit of a gap I could see between my shoulders. After about 10 minutes I decided that it was as good as it would get tonight and I just climbed into the hammock and slid my pillow into place and began my test.

Right off the bat I could feel the warmth bellow me. After a few minutes my feet (without socks) and my back was nice and warm. After another couple of minutes, or at least what I thought was a couple of minutes, my wife woke me up by yelling I was crazy to be lying in the backyard while it was raining. As it turns out I was out for about an hour. Now my upper body was a little cold, because I had no top cover and was just wearing a T-Shirt. At no time did my back get cold.

This was a mild test and the temps were at least 30* higher than what I am expecting this weekend… But I am very happy with my results.

Buffalo Skipper
10-05-2010, 12:50
I am very eager to hear more on this. I am considering this as an option of a layered UQ.

MacEntyre
10-05-2010, 15:00
You should judge the fit with a person in the hammock.

Eagerly awaiting another report!

- MacEntyre

Kokak
10-05-2010, 15:20
I was in the hammock looking at the gap in a reflection and able to see the gap.

But so far I'm in love with both the warmth and the weight...

MacEntyre
10-05-2010, 15:26
I was in the hammock looking at the gap in a reflection and able to see the gap.
Oh! Clever!

If you have gaps, tighten the suspension. Also, make sure your head and neck are out of the IX UQ, so that your shoulders push down on the head end and seal up any gaps.