PDA

View Full Version : Above Tarp Ridgeline

Old River Rat
10-06-2010, 23:25
As I have said . . . I am acquiring my gear slooooowly. So far . . . I have a Speer Winter Tarp. :lol: I want to use an above the tarp ridgeline made from amsteel. My thinking on this: Widow makers. I have heard that term mentioned many times. I was in my yard the other day and heard a noise. I looked around and observed a very large limb fall from a tree onto my roof. The leaves were beginning to brown and I think that I would have spotted it if I had been planning on setting up a tarp under it. But . . . I have seen limbs that appeared healthy fall from trees. I have also wondered how you might know a limb is dead in the winter? Anyway, I think an amsteel above the tarp ridgeline may one day may defend me from a falling limb. Any help would be better than none. Sound good? What do you think? My first defense, of course, is careful selection of a hanging site. Also, I would want to stay away from very large trees.

I have watched Shug's video on the subject, but he did not show how the ridgeline was attached to the tree. Do you attach it like you do a hammock with slings, or simply wrap the line itself around the tree?

One last question . . . Was the prusik in his video made of entirely of shock cord?

My progress? I will be reviewing a hammock that is being sent to me by a good friend. If the trial is thumb's up, I will be ordering my hammock next. I am pretty sure my UQ's will be Stormcrow made. I may attempt my own DIY TQ. IF all goes well, I will be equiped and ready to go by early summer 2011.

dejoha
10-07-2010, 00:54
You can attach ridgelines to trees with tree straps, but I think most people just wrap the line. There isn't much weight being applies from the tarp, so it's pretty safe to tie it off directly.

To avoid "widow makers" and falling limbs, site selection is key. You're in no worse danger than in a tent, and I imagine the g-string ridgeline will offer some protection, but I imagine it's about the same kind of protection you'd find in shorts of the same name. :)

I don't know if Shug's prusik is made of shock cord. Seems odd. I would suspect it was something like Lash-it or Zing-it cord.

Can't Wait
10-07-2010, 00:59
Shug's over the top ridge line is from whoopies.com and I believe it's armsteel he just wraps around tree one end connected with toggle other is with figure nine then attaches to tarp with toggle hanging from prussic out of same armsteel shock cord is for side pull outs on his winter tarp hope that helps shugs out in the piney woods enjoying hammock slumber

Stavros
10-07-2010, 02:38
Here´s a video about how to attach a ridgeline:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo

I think this works really good and the ridgeline gets very thaught.
A Siberian Hinch on one side and a Powercinch on the other side.
Easy to do, easy to take down.

Combine that with prusiks and carabiners to move the tarp on the ridgeline.

mbiraman
10-07-2010, 05:44
550 paracord will do, carabiner at one end and figure nine at the other . Make prussiks out of something a bit smaller and your good to go. Eventually i bought one of Opies RL kits with KNotbone and Soft Shackles ,very nice.

Lonely Raven
10-07-2010, 08:18
ORR, here is all you need to know:

http://www.whoopieslings.com/Tarp_Lines.html

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/994223

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1203637

There might be more sellers, but those are the ones I know of off the top-o-me-head.

I made some of those Soft Shackle Prussiks last night. It was exactly what I've been looking for to hang my tarp. Light Weight, and won't damage the tarp or stuff sack if I pack it all in to the bag at once. And best of all, quick setup!

Shug
10-07-2010, 09:32
I have watched Shug's video on the subject, but he did not show how the ridgeline was attached to the tree. Do you attach it like you do a hammock with slings, or simply wrap the line itself around the tree?

One last question . . . Was the prusik in his video made of entirely of shock cord?

Amsteel may or may not .... falling limbs are dodgy. If it makes you feel more secure I would do it. Always look for how a limb may fall ..... and if any doubt set up elsewhere. Other than that ..... we have no control. The woods are never 100% safe.

I did use shock-cord on my Winter Tarp ..... worked well and easier to grab with my digits in the Minnesota winter.
Shug

Old River Rat
10-07-2010, 17:10
You can attach ridgelines to trees with tree straps, but I think most people just wrap the line. There isn't much weight being applies from the tarp, so it's pretty safe to tie it off directly.

To avoid "widow makers" and falling limbs, site selection is key. You're in no worse danger than in a tent, and I imagine the g-string ridgeline will offer some protection, but I imagine it's about the same kind of protection you'd find in shorts of the same name. :)

I don't know if Shug's prusik is made of shock cord. Seems odd. I would suspect it was something like Lash-it or Zing-it cord.

Here´s a video about how to attach a ridgeline:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo

I think this works really good and the ridgeline gets very thaught.
A Siberian Hinch on one side and a Powercinch on the other side.
Easy to do, easy to take down.

Combine that with prusiks and carabiners to move the tarp on the ridgeline.

Amsteel may or may not .... falling limbs are dodgy. If it makes you feel more secure I would do it. Always look for how a limb may fall ..... and if any doubt set up elsewhere. Other than that ..... we have no control. The woods are never 100% safe.

I did use shock-cord on my Winter Tarp ..... worked well and easier to grab with my digits in the Minnesota winter.
Shug

I like the idea of something strong over my head, even if it only offers the protection suggested by Dejoha. :D

I think I will use the suggestion offered by Peter1969, it eliminates any weak links by using only the amsteel.

And if I understood Shug correctly, his prusiks were made entirely of shock cord. It keeps the top of his tarp taut.

The Top of His Tarp Taut . . . Say that three times fast. :lol: