PDA

View Full Version : Alternative materials to nylon for a hammock

Coffee
11-14-2006, 16:09
Unfortunatly I had a little problem with my homemade hammock (read I ended up on the ground). But the good news is that I get to make another one. That got me thinking. What alternatives to ripstop nylon are there? I know there is a lot of talk about silk. I want to hold off on that one until I get everything else right. Plus it is about $7 a yard and only comes in white.

I weigh 225 lbs and am 6'3" so I am going to need something comparable in strength to 1.9 oz ripstop.

What are the HH made of?

Coffee
11-14-2006, 16:19
Answered my own question. The HH are 70D nylon, 210D nylon, or 30D high Tenacity nylon.

Arkwater
11-14-2006, 16:22
Try a high thread count taffeta. say 210 or so. Ripstop polyester. Supplex works pretty good and is nice and soft. Most materials suitable for a hammock will be poly or nylon. I think HH mostly uses oxford and taffeta, both from nylon.

Coffee
11-14-2006, 18:04
Do you think 70D nylon taffeta would be enough? On the HH website the hammocks made out of the 70D are rated up to 250 lbs. I am concerned about the weight. 210 is going to add a decent amount of weight. The Supplex on OWF set is 4.4 oz/yard. I little heavy for me.

Arkwater
11-14-2006, 18:08
Most likely if you hem the edges before trying it. Be sure its good quality material.

Arkwater
11-14-2006, 18:09
you also need to take into account the width of the HH using the 70d.

Coffee
11-14-2006, 18:11
What do you think of this one. The one I am looking at is the first one. I learned the whole hem the edges thing the hard way. I'm not going to do that again.

http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/taffeta.asp

BTW how is your homemade Asym working out? I was going to order enough fabric to give it another go around.

Arkwater
11-14-2006, 18:12
don't confuse Denier and thread count. They mean two diffrent things!

Coffee
11-14-2006, 18:14
you also need to take into account the width of the HH using the 70d.

Interesting, wouldn't a wider hammock distrubite the weight better. I was going to to leave it at 5' wide. I like the more width to roll around in.

Coffee
11-14-2006, 18:15
don't confuse Denier and thread count. They mean two diffrent things!

Thanks, I knew I was missing something.

Arkwater
11-14-2006, 18:16
What do you think of this one. The one I am looking at is the first one. I learned the whole hem the edges thing the hard way. I'm not going to do that again.

http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/taffeta.asp

BTW how is your homemade Asym working out? I was going to order enough fabric to give it another go around.

Thats pretty light stuff, like the lining in a windbreaker or running pants.
the asym has been on the back burner for a while. Been working on a new quilt design this week. Need something warm if I make it to the campout.

Arkwater
11-14-2006, 18:17
Interesting, wouldn't a wider hammock distrubite the weight better. I was going to to leave it at 5' wide. I like the more width to roll around in.

Thats what I was getting at. The HH are pretty wide.

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 18:59
Ebay would be a good place to start if you wanna get some fabrics to experiment with. I have bought from this seller (http://stores.ebay.com/Top-Quality-Fabrics-and-More) before and they seem to carry a lot of fabrics that could be used in outdoor activities.

Another (really expensive) fabric that I have thinking about is Cuben fiber. I think someone has some for sale in the backpacking gear swap group on Yahoo for about $17 per yard. It's supposed to be ultralight and ulta-strong.

Arkwater
11-14-2006, 19:06
Ebay would be a good place to start if you wanna get some fabrics to experiment with. I have bought from this seller (http://stores.ebay.com/Top-Quality-Fabrics-and-More) before and they seem to carry a lot of fabrics that could be used in outdoor activities.

Another (really expensive) fabric that I have thinking about is Cuben fiber. I think someone has some for sale in the backpacking gear swap group on Yahoo for about $17 per yard. It's supposed to be ultralight and ulta-strong.
The fabric in the last quilt I made came from them. They have good prices but their not always accurate in their listings. Got a couple things from them that was not what they thought. They sent 5 yds of Epic thinking it was coated nylon.

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 19:08
I bought some red 1.1oz DWR ripstop nylon from them after seeing your underquilt. :)

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 19:11
What about Supplex (http://cgi.ebay.com/Eggplant-DWR-Supplex_W0QQitemZ280030748914QQihZ018QQcategoryZ28 162QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280030748914) ?

DWR Supplex
100% nylon tightly woven fabric made from a very fine filament. It has a durable water-resistant (DWR) finish to repel rain. It has wicking capabilities to keep you cool in the summer. This fabric travels well and is excellent for all outerwear projects. This state of the art fabric is wind and water resistant. The stout weave of this versatile fabric makes it useful for anything from skiwear and wind shirts to hiking and surfing shorts.

This is 57" wide.

Arkwater
11-14-2006, 19:15
Is that the green stuff they have for a $1.50?

ps didn't see the link you posted!

Look at this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Forest-Green-Nylon-Taffeta_W0QQitemZ280021904646QQihZ018QQcategoryZ28 162QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)
It makes a sweet hammock.

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 19:24
They have green, but the link I provided is for the Eggplant(purple). It's 2.50 a yard. They have several colors of the Utrex Supplex. I have heard of Supplex but I have not seen very much technical info on it.

BTW, Denier refers to how large in diameter the stands in a fabric are. The larger the number, the larger the thread. Thread count is the number of thread strands per inch. I think.

Arkwater
11-14-2006, 19:34
They have green, but the link I provided is for the Eggplant(purple). It's 2.50 a yard. They have several colors of the Utrex Supplex. I have heard of Supplex but I have not seen very much technical info on it.

BTW, Denier refers to how large in diameter the stands in a fabric are. The larger the number, the larger the thread. Thread count is the number of thread strands per inch. I think.

Your definitions are correct. Not sure you want the ultrex. Its like Gortex. 3 or 4 oz/yd.

Coffee
11-14-2006, 19:44
I saw that link from WB. Those prices are hard to beat. Now I have to choose from nylon taffeta at $1.50 and Supplex at $2.50

Handchange, have you used that Supplex before?

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 19:55
No I have never used it, but I have heard good things about it. I tried a quick Google and Wikipedia search and didn't turn up much. It is made by Dupont.

If I am not mistaken Western Mountaineering used Supplex in making their bags for a while. I could be wrong though. I don't think it's made anymore.

Coffee
11-14-2006, 19:55
This stuff looks interesting for a travel pod.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WPB-DWR-Cobalt-Subzero-Supplex-Coating-Streak-Error_W0QQitemZ280030337084QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2816 2QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 19:58
OWF (http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/Misc.Woven.asp#Taslan/Supplex) sells Supplex for $5.25 per yard with the DWR coating, so the Ebay store is a really good deal. At those prices you should get some Supplex AND Taffeta and try them both.:)

Coffee
11-14-2006, 20:01
Here is some good supplex seconds.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WPB-DWR-Cobalt-Subzero-Supplex-Coating-Streak-Error_W0QQitemZ280030337084QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2816 2QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Arkwater
11-14-2006, 20:02
FYI
Ballistics Cloth: refers to a weave; (2x2). This is a very abrasion resistant fabric, typically made with Cordura® fibers. Typically around 2000 denier.
# Coated: Fabrics that are coated with urethane for water resistance or water proofness.
# Cordura®: is a high tenacity air-textured nylon manufactured exclusively by Dupont. Cordura actually refers to the fiber,and not the fabric. It is typically found as a plain weave, in deniers 300-2000, and is used where strength and abrasion resistance is important. Visit Dupont for more fibers information.
# DWR: stands for Durable Water Repellent, typically refers to water repellent coatings that force the water to bead up on fabrics, preventing saturation.
# Denier: A unit of yarn number equal to the weight in grams of 9000m of yarn. The thicker the thread, the higher the denier, the heavier the fabric.
# Fleece
# Laminate: fabric constructed of layers laminated together, as in a waterproof-breathable laminate, or windblock fleece.
# Microfiber: refers to fabric made of synthetic yarns of less than one denier per filament
# Oxford: has a small basket weave(2 x 1); fine warp and and coarse fill.
# Polyester: is a man made fiber, made of synthetic polymers.
# Polypropelene: is a synthetic Olefin fiber; made from propylene
# Ply: typically refers to how many yarns make up a thread; a fabric made of 3-ply thread will be stronger than one made of 2-ply thread. Ply is sometimes used to refer to how many layers are in laminated or waterproof/breathable fabrics.
# Supplex: is a Dupont trademark for one of several textured nylons; not Taslan though. It is a very high filament yarn (66 filaments per yarn) that is "air-dried" to give it a very soft texture.
# Taffeta: is a plain weave (1 x 1) that is smooth on both sides. Nylon taffeta commonly used for linings and windbreakers.
# Taslan: is a fiber process, used generically to describe a type of texture. The Taslan process of "air-drying" nylon filaments is applied to heavier yarns to create a soft fabric.
# Waterproof/Breathable Fabrics

thanks to Wayne Shufelt and the Cordura Team at Dupont for all their assistance

Coffee
11-14-2006, 20:03
OWF (http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/Misc.Woven.asp#Taslan/Supplex) sells Supplex for $5.25 per yard with the DWR coating, so the Ebay store is a really good deal. At those prices you should get some Supplex AND Taffeta and try them both.:)

That's actually what I am planning on doing. I am going to order 5 yds of both and try the asym homemade. I wanted to have a backup made for my hike anyways.

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 20:03
This stuff looks interesting for a travel pod.

Great idea. I'm try that out for $1.25 per yard. Wonder what they mean by "streak error"?

Just Jeff
11-14-2006, 20:08
I was going to order from Top Quality, but she wrote back that she had no idea what I was talking about when I asked some basic questions - like what the material's weight was. Said she gets it from a brick-and-mortar down the street.

Still probably get something from her when I get time for another project - those prices are the lowest I've seen anywhere.

Coffee
11-14-2006, 20:08
Great idea. I'm try that out for $1.25 per yard. Wonder what they mean by "streak error"?

I'll let you know when I get it.:eek:

Coffee
11-14-2006, 20:11
I figure I'll only have about $20-30 wrapped up in this, so if it doesn't completly work out I won't be out that much.

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 20:13
I was going to order from Top Quality, but she wrote back that she had no idea what I was talking about when I asked some basic questions - like what the material's weight was. Said she gets it from a brick-and-mortar down the street.

Still probably get something from her when I get time for another project - those prices are the lowest I've seen anywhere.

It's kinda a weird setup. She is selling off the stock from a store that has closed. When I bought my ripstop I had to wait a couple of days before I she gave me the cost of shipping and I could finish payment. It could be that she isn't really that familar with fabrics to begin with. That's one of the draw backs of buying from Ebay

The ripstop I ordered was exactly what it said it was. I bought 4 yard @ 2.50 per yard and I was charged 2.25 for shipping. Pretty cheap hammock.

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 20:17
Hey they got DWR & WPB Official USDA Forest Service Green Supplex! (http://cgi.ebay.com/DWR-WPB-Official-USDA-Forest-Service-Green-Supplex_W0QQitemZ280028741965QQihZ018QQcategoryZ28 162QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280028741965)

Arkwater
11-14-2006, 20:19
Hey they got DWR & WPB Official USDA Forest Service Green Supplex! (http://cgi.ebay.com/DWR-WPB-Official-USDA-Forest-Service-Green-Supplex_W0QQitemZ280028741965QQihZ018QQcategoryZ28 162QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280028741965)

Got some of that, Its like a coated canvas material. Very heavy:eek:

redbeard
11-14-2006, 20:20
I had a bad experience with this woman over the weekend. She listed 4 yards of 330 cordoba and I used the buy it now option. I requested a total price with shipping . She sent me a message yesterday and said she only had 3 yards of the material. Said she was sorry . I will never try to deal with her again no matter how good the prices. I hate it when people list stuff on ebay and don't even have it to sell.

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 20:25
I had a bad experience with this woman over the weekend. She listed 4 yards of 330 cordoba and I used the buy it now option. I requested a total price with shipping . She sent me a message yesterday and said she only had 3 yards of the material. Said she was sorry . I will never try to deal with her again no matter how good the prices. I hate it when people list stuff on ebay and don't even have it to sell.

She does say:

*Please understand that the yardage listed in an estimated guess, last buyer may be shorted*

When I ordered my ripstop she only had 6 yards. I bought 4 because I was afraid that I would get shorted if I ordered it all. She seems to have large quantities of the Supplex and other materials. I would feel safer ordering 5 yards if she had a total of 85 yard to sell.

Coffee
11-14-2006, 20:27
Well I just ordered the nylone taffeta that Arkwater used and the $1.25 a yard supplex I linked. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

headchange4u
11-14-2006, 21:01
I see me working on a "materials and fabrics" thread for the Articles section...

titanium_hiker
11-14-2006, 21:37
yep- stock up that articles section when you can!

titanium_hiker

Porkbutter
11-14-2006, 21:40
I know there is a lot of talk about silk. I want to hold off on that one until I get everything else right. Plus it is about $7 a yard and only comes in white.

hammock engineer,
If the color of silk ultimately puts you off, you can get dye ( & silk) pretty cheaply here http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1344-AA.shtml?lnav=dyes.html

Coffee
11-14-2006, 21:50
Thanks for the link. I'll keep that in mind for the 4th hammock. I already ordered enough of the other fabric to make 2, probibly 3 hammocks, and a travel pod. I figured for that price I may as well get enough for when I mess up.

The silk I saw on that site was still about $7 a yard. The other fabric I ordered is $1.50 a yard. If it works out, I should save a little on the price.

Coffee
11-18-2006, 16:07
My material just came in. I got the nylon taffeta (http://cgi.ebay.com/Forest-Green-Nylon-Taffeta_W0QQitemZ280021904646QQihZ018QQcategoryZ28 162QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)and nylon supplex (http://cgi.ebay.com/WPB-DWR-Cobalt-Subzero-Supplex-Coating-Streak-Error_W0QQitemZ280030337084QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2816 2QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem). The taffeta has a DWR finsh and the supplex is supposed to be WPB. It looks like it would be waterproof. I'll test it out later. The supplex was labeled as seconds with a streak, but I can not see anything wrong with it. I have not weighed them yet. The supplex looks to be a little heavier or at least stiffer than ripstop. For $1.50 and $1.25 a yard, it was hard to go wrong. The only down side to the supplex is the dark purple to plum color.

I am going to put aside my current tarp project and make a hammock and travel pod. I'll post pics when done.

headchange4u
11-20-2006, 09:02
Is the fabric marked "steak error" really heavy or something?. My first order with the same lady was for 4 yards of ripstop nylon (1.1oz DWR) and shipping was 2.25. I also ordered 8 yards of the "steak error" supplex and shipping was $8.10 which makes me think that the fabric may be to heavy.

Coffee
11-20-2006, 09:45
Yep It is very, very heavy. Since I have it anyways I made a hammock sock that is uses 9'x85" of fabric. And it weighs a wopping 2 lbs. I am going to try it on a canoe trip Tuesday night and see if I like it and if its worth remakes with lighter material.

If anyone can come up with a use, I could part with some. The taffeta makes a really nice hammock. I am going to spend a couple nights in it to make sure that it holds up and I like it, then order enough to make a couple more hammocks.

headchange4u
11-20-2006, 10:32
So the taffeta is a lot lighter weight fabric?

Coffee
11-20-2006, 10:41
My hammock out of taffeta came to 12 oz, minus the webbing. I am going to make it a little shorter when I figure out just how I want it. It is 5' wide and about 12' long. I am trying out the asym cut and whip it the way Arkwater suggested. You could make one for under 10 oz if you make a standard Speer style 4' wide.

It looks like it will hold up. I set and laid in it and swung around. I didn't notice any problems. I am going to spend a couple nights in it this week. I should be able to tell by then. Arkwater said he made a hammock out of it and likes it. It doesn't have the plastic feel of ripstop. It feels closer to cotton then anything else. It is also going to be a lot more breathable than ripstop. I was thinking that I wouldn't like that in colder weather. But I am going to have my underquilt, pad, and travel pod so I do not think that will be a problem. I'll try to post some pics today.