PDA

View Full Version : No pad just UQ

hikingshoes
10-10-2010, 20:15
I was thinking about doing away with my sleep pad and just use a UQ and my 20deg sleep for winter camping,so how low can i get with this setup?I have a clark jungle hammock for as my hammock goes and id like to make it to Mt.Roger this yr.and like i have stated is this setup ok?Thanks,HS

Pastorus
10-10-2010, 20:28
Is your UQ full length? Cold feet aren't much fun. Many of us only use a pad for our feet, and there are other ways to insulate.

hikingshoes
10-10-2010, 20:30
Is your UQ full length? Cold feet aren't much fun. Many of us only use a pad for our feet, and there are other ways to insulate.

I have a 3/4crowsnest which i like alot.

BillyBob58
10-10-2010, 20:45
Hi hikingshoes,
which crowsnest do you have? Is this Crowsnest a winter model? If it is a winter model I'm sure
it will be adequate. If a 3 season model then you will have
to figure out a way to boost it. I think the Clarks have some
winter capabilities of their own, don't they? But I'm not sure
if that could be used with a snug fit UQ? Adding a space blanket
on top of the quilt might get you 10 or 15*.

Pastorus
10-10-2010, 21:05
My 3/4 UQ was able to get me by all summer. But last month a storm came in and the temp went down to about 38º. I just put my feet in a jacket and laid them on the backpack. When I know it's going to be around 40º or below I definitely bring a pad for the feet. (Unless I'm taking my PeaPod :D)

hangnout
10-10-2010, 21:08
I think one of the advantages to using a shorter quilt in the winter is that you do have a pad. The colder it gets the longer and thicker my foot pad gets. I hope to never go to ground but if I do the pad will help. For this reason I prefer a shorter quilt with a pad over just a full length quilt.

hikingshoes
10-19-2010, 15:50
Hi hikingshoes,
which crowsnest do you have? Is this Crowsnest a winter model? If it is a winter model I'm sure
it will be adequate. If a 3 season model then you will have
to figure out a way to boost it. I think the Clarks have some
winter capabilities of their own, don't they? But I'm not sure
if that could be used with a snug fit UQ? Adding a space blanket
on top of the quilt might get you 10 or 15*.

Hey BillyBob,
Good to hear from you,been along time since AL..I have a 3/4crowsnest summer model and as you have stated i may have to boost it up alittle more.The NA Clarks is setup for winter camping,but i got the ultralight Clarks,I havent checkout the snug fit UQ to see if it would work,but im open for all input.Look forward to the next hang with you and the rest of the gang.Thanks,Charles

Cannibal
10-19-2010, 18:22
I've been below zero many times without a pad. Unless I know it's going to be very cold, I don't even bother bringing a pad. A backpack beneath my legs/feet is all I really need. When car camping in the cold, I do bring a pad simply for convenience. But hiking, no need for me.

BillyBob58
10-19-2010, 20:14
Hey BillyBob,
Good to hear from you,been along time since AL..I have a 3/4crowsnest summer model and as you have stated i may have to boost it up alittle more.The NA Clarks is setup for winter camping,but i got the ultralight Clarks,I havent checkout the snug fit UQ to see if it would work,but im open for all input.Look forward to the next hang with you and the rest of the gang.Thanks,Charles

It has been almost exactly 1 year since that Sipsey trip, right?

Like already said, a simple space blanket between the hammock and your Crowsnest will get you 10 or 15*. But you might want to experiment and make sure you are not prone to some sort of condensation problems. I've never had any trouble using SBs in PeaPods or with HHSSs.

But what about a layer of raw IX or an IX sock or UQ to boost the crowsnest? That might get you 15-20* or more maybe. It would also give you some extra wind proofing and maybe a bit of moisture block. Of course, IX is still being tested by recent purchasers.

wisenber
12-14-2010, 20:06
While it certainly is possible to skip a pad, I like one for:
extra insulation, a sit pad, a kneel pad, a fan for the fire, pack frame booster...lots of things a pad can do. Sitting on a wet log or kneeling on rocks or wet snow is highly overrated.