PDA

View Full Version : TheClymb GoLite Quilt Updates?

Triptease
10-11-2010, 02:12
Hey everyone. I know it's been a couple of weeks since the GoLite quilt sale over on TheClymb.com that I posted. I was just wondering if anyone had gotten them and if they had any reviews to post?

I'm interested to see how ya'll think they fare against the older GoLite Ultra 20 that I have or other TQs currently on the market. Thanks!

PS - Those who have the GoLite 3S and 1S quilts are obviously welcome to chime in as well.

lyodom
10-21-2010, 11:23
Plan to use it this weekend. Since I don't have the old one, not sure how to compare?

Lonely Raven
10-21-2010, 11:25
They had a quilt sale? Crumbs, I totally missed that!

jloden
10-21-2010, 12:52
I got mine, but I sold it back off before it had even arrived, ended up buying a gently used JRB quilt for the same price instead :D

I did take it out of the box long enough to check it over and it seemed really nice, but on the heavy side... I had the long version (they sold out of the reg) and it was 32oz in the stuff sack IIRC. If the weight doesn't bother you then it seemed like a nicely made quilt. On par with my JRB Sierra Sniveller/Hudson River as far as loft, so I'd expect it to be similarly warm.

I've heard from a couple people that the Ultra 20 was a better piece of gear - and lighter - but I've not had one myself to comment.

Triptease
10-21-2010, 13:21
I got mine, but I sold it back off before it had even arrived, ended up buying a gently used JRB quilt for the same price instead :D

I did take it out of the box long enough to check it over and it seemed really nice, but on the heavy side... I had the long version (they sold out of the reg) and it was 32oz in the stuff sack IIRC. If the weight doesn't bother you then it seemed like a nicely made quilt. On par with my JRB Sierra Sniveller/Hudson River as far as loft, so I'd expect it to be similarly warm.

I've heard from a couple people that the Ultra 20 was a better piece of gear - and lighter - but I've not had one myself to comment.

Wow!! That is really surprising. I have the older Ultra 20 and the Long is only 21 oz. I had it at the MAHHA hang and it was more than adequate.

jloden
10-21-2010, 13:48
FWIW, manufacturer weight is 27oz for the long, which did not include the stuff sack. Even if you go by that, 27oz is still appreciably heavier than the 21oz for your Ultra 20.

Knotty
10-21-2010, 19:59
I had mine at MAHHA this weekend and absolutely love it. As a TQ I much prefer it to my JRB quilts. Of course with the JRBs you can use them as TQ or UQ.

I like the way it lays fairly flat across the chest yet still wraps around the shoulders. They accomplish this by having a dart about 8-10" in from the edge on each side. I don't know if it was this or the Pertex fabric along the top edge (and footbox) that helped it avoid breath condensation near my mouth. In general the quilt stayed closer to my body and was easier to keep from gapping and letting in cold air.

Thanks for letting us know about The Clymb sale. Would have thanked you in person but didn't make the connection at the time.

New screen name?

Kokak
10-21-2010, 20:21
Used mine 2 weeks ago in Sequoia and I loved it. It weighed in right at about 27 ounces, so not sure if the 32 ounces you measured it at was right.

The temp went below 39*, I'm guessing about 34* to 35* and I was more than toasty warm in it. I loved t so much; I sold my new Mountain Hardware 35* Lumina without so much as a second thought.

Thanks for the info about Clymb and the GoLite sale!

Triptease
10-22-2010, 00:52
New screen name?

Ha, yes, I didn't realize it had been changed. My wife, had annointed me Triptease as my new trail name due to my uncanny ability to put it on just about anything I can. It was seconded by VegaMike and Velcro at the MAHHA.

Plus, it's a little easier to remember than mak52580. :)

Big Jim Mac
10-22-2010, 06:29
I get catalogs from Eddie Bauer (way too many) and their latest has a down and fleece throw that is 52"x60" for $39 if you make a purchase. Light top quilt maybe? Comes in a stuff sack. No idea on the weight. They are also having a down coat sale, pretty good deals on these. Down vest is $30.

Lonely Raven
10-22-2010, 07:42
I get catalogs from Eddie Bauer (way too many) and their latest has a down and fleece throw that is 52"x60" for $39 if you make a purchase. Light top quilt maybe? Comes in a stuff sack. No idea on the weight. They are also having a down coat sale, pretty good deals on these. Down vest is $30.

The fiance and I saw that last night. We are probably putting an order in this paycheck. She's already arguing with me over who will get the two toned blue one. :rolleyes: Seriously, once I get more skill with Ye Old Thread Injector, I'll be making some quilts myself!