PDA

View Full Version : where to buy climashield

benjamman
10-11-2010, 06:48
i grew up with eczema an iv got all kinds of allergy's that bring me out in rashes and hives, and down is a no-no for me its a pain in the *** but as much as i want down quilts is just not worth living on antihistamines and cortisone cream.
so i gotta go synthetic .

after reading a bit on here iv heard a lot of good reviews on climashield
is that right is it good stuff ?
have you used it your self ?
just wonder where to buy climashield of the roll ?
i dont know anything about it dose it come in different thickness's or just the one
i was after making myself a 3-4 season TQ & UQ so would i just layer it ontop of its self to make the loft up ?

if this has allready been discust in other threds that iv missed can you give me the links please
and any tutorials/how to's using synthetic that would be much appreciated, i found the kickass quilts pdf

cheers

Ben

WV
10-11-2010, 07:13
I've used Climashield Green from OWF (http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/insulation.asp). It's a bit cheaper. There is some variation in thickness, but it's not hard to compensate for because you'd probably use several layers.

I just looked at the OWF page I linked to, and they don't show Climashield Green any more. Still a good source for the other types. You can call them with questions; they're very helpful.

MarshLaw303
10-11-2010, 07:35
you can get the HL(high loft) at OWFINC or the XP and COMBAT from thru-hiker. Cost is pretty similar and the combat and XP perform a little better than the HL (warmer for weight)

I have used both and the HL is much more puffy (read bulky) the XP feels more flat after a few uses but still works very well, its just never as puffy.

-Tim

chickenwing
10-11-2010, 08:33
This link will take you to the Climashield HL (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1253382) that Paul sells over at Arrowhead Equipment.

Lots of luck. I have successfully taken a single layer of the XP 2.5 oz and 1 layer of Insuletx down to 40*F with no supplemental clothing for insulation. I will soon be working on a double layer 2.5 oz XP quilt in hopes of reaching 30*. I don't think I will be adding a layer of IX to this project, but I might make some 'inserts' out of the stuff to suppliment.

bigbamaguy
10-11-2010, 09:24
benjamman:
Here is a link to the AHE DIY underquilt/topquilt page. You can get everything that you need in one package, the kit is available in two different weights (summer, 3 or 4 Season). I have two of these kits waiting for me to borrow the thread injector from Mom. Good luck in your search and I hope this helps you find what you are looking for.

Link: http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1488095 somehow I lost this, sorry!!!!!!!

benjamman
10-11-2010, 09:41
benjamman:
Here is a link to the AHE DIY underquilt/topquilt page. You can get everything that you need in one package, the kit is available in two different weights (summer, 3 or 4 Season). I have two of these kits waiting for me to borrow the thread injector from Mom. Good luck in your search and I hope this helps you find what you are looking for.

bigbamaguy you didnt post your link mate , thanks though

ben

BrianWillan
10-11-2010, 10:08
i grew up with eczema an iv got all kinds of allergy's that bring me out in rashes and hives, and down is a no-no for me its a pain in the *** but as much as i want down quilts is just not worth living on antihistamines and cortisone cream.
so i gotta go synthetic .

Ben

There is also the Insultex quilts that Macentyre and Tree To Trail Gear sell. They are synthetic, light weight and compress as well as down made items.

When I did my Climashield top and under quilts, I got my materials from Ray Jardine (http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/php/order-form.php). He sells his quilt materials by the foot.

Cheers

Brian

hiker_DC
10-12-2010, 11:57
One other source is Thru-Hiker. That is were I usually get my Climashield. My underquilt is the 5 oz. XP and my topquilt is in the combat. I went down to freezing a few weeks ago.

benjamman
10-12-2010, 13:42
thanks guys

ben