PDA

View Full Version : Crowsnest with Asym hammock?

amac
10-14-2010, 04:43
Is the Crowsnest asymmetrical? I'm looking at UQs and the Crowsnest is on the list. My hammock is a custom WBBB "lefty", instead of the standard "righty".

Muskrat
10-14-2010, 07:09
Just received my Winter CrowsNest and it works great on the WBBB. . . as well as the HH Exped (as my wife tells me!). The CrowsNest is fairly wide so its very forgiving and allows for ASYM laying while still providing the needed insulation. Can't go wrong with this choice. Let it also be noted that I have the 3-Season Yetti (made by WB) which works great too but its not as wide as the CN.

Knotty
10-14-2010, 08:50
No experience with the Crowsnest but most UQs are rectangular and work fine with asymmetric hammocks. Most all hammocks become asymmetric once one lays on the diagonal.

amac
10-14-2010, 13:03
Thanks....

warbonnetguy
10-14-2010, 13:16
the yeti is the ONLY asym shaped uq on the market i believe. it basically allows for more coverage than you'd get with a similar-sized symmetric quilt, allowing me to go smaller on the dimensions while keeping a certain amount of coverage. so basically it reduces weight while maximizing coverage for it's size by being asym.

Knotty
10-14-2010, 15:15
KAQ is asym as well.

warbonnetguy
10-14-2010, 17:21
KAQ is asym as well.

you sure about that? i thought it was just bathtub shaped

Hawk-eye
10-14-2010, 17:24
you sure about that? i thought it was just bathtub shaped

The one (KAQ) I have is ... fits the HHEX perfectly

pgibson
10-15-2010, 12:47
The KAQ Potomac has been Asym, in that there has been a "head" end and "foot" end an inside and an out side. The pleats cut into the quilt to give it the bathtub effect had to line up with the tie outs on the HH's and to do that correspondingly the inside and outside had to have the quilt assembled just so to match up and position everything correctly. Recently to simplify and ease production time on the Potomac I decided that by using the same color fabric on both sides of the quilt we would be able to not have "inside v. outside" of the quilt. This makes the quilt functionally symmetric, either end can be the head end just by flipping the quilt one way or the other until the pleats of the corer tie outs are aligned on the hammock. Set up in this manor is faster and we can be more productive in making the Potomac.

So the short anwser is kind of, While the pattern has always been a symmetric cut the assembly made it only work when correctly aligned one way making it appear asym. But cut any of them exactly in half, flip end for end one and they should lay together and match up very close to each other (symmetry.)

Brandon is still in a class of his own, you can breath again bud. :D :lol:

stormcrow
10-15-2010, 13:19
Is the Crowsnest asymmetrical? I'm looking at UQs and the Crowsnest is on the list. My hammock is a custom WBBB "lefty", instead of the standard "righty".

The Crowsnest is not asymetrical. It is built to accommodate a wide range of hammocks and users that might sleep to the right or left side.

G.L.P.
10-15-2010, 19:07
The crowsnest works fine with my WBBB.....works just like any other UQ i have or used
I really don't see any problems using a crowsnest with a HH...
should work just as good as an other UQ out there ;)

Hawk-eye
10-15-2010, 19:42
Plus one on using a Crowsnest with a HH ... works like a charm.

Muskrat
10-17-2010, 17:55
+2 on using the CN with the HH Exped ;)

exup
11-04-2010, 16:56
+3 on the Crowsnest with a hennessy expedition. One night used the tie outs and it worked fine and another night without. Worked great both ways.

BLUEFIN 774
11-04-2010, 20:07
Crowsnest works excellent with my Hennnessy Ultralight Backpacker Assym.

te-wa
11-04-2010, 20:22
what my customer's complained about was uq's that slipped off the shoulder. my uq has a tie out that matches a-sym hammock guylines and clips to them, so shoulder slippage does not happen.

dragon360
06-15-2011, 15:52
Are the tie out tabs on the Phoenix/crowsnest the grosgrain at each corner?