PDA

View Full Version : Montbell Super Spiral Hugger

LyttleBryan
10-14-2010, 06:44
I'm looking at getting my lady a new sleeping bag for an early Christmas present so we can go winter backpacking together. She's tried the hammock thing, and even went so far as to write a comic about how much she hated it. Anyway, she prefers to have a little bit more roomy sleeping bag, but I know that when you start getting lower and lower in the digits that it's not an option as it's way too hard to heat that much air. I was considering the Montbell Super Spiral sleeping bag because it's mummy, yet you can move around it in. Unfortunately there's no retailers near here that carry a descent selection, so I can't easily go out and look at them at the store.

I trust the forums opinions, so what's yours on this bag?

BreckDown
10-14-2010, 07:03
My buddy has the MB SS UL Down Hugger #3 (30*) and loves it. He said that it's extremely comfortable and rated correctly at 30*. He's raved about it so much that I will most likely be picking one up in the next few months.

tiredhiker
10-14-2010, 07:57
I also have the u l# 3 and love this bag. I have been in alot of bags in my day and the way they sew there bags (on a 45 deg angle) is awesome. you can move around and you don't feel so restricted. I was going to get a 15 or a colder bag but went with a T/Q.

tammons
10-14-2010, 09:40
The huggers are great bags and honestly rated.

wisenber
10-14-2010, 11:30
I'm looking at getting my lady a new sleeping bag for an early Christmas present so we can go winter backpacking together. She's tried the hammock thing, and even went so far as to write a comic about how much she hated it. Anyway, she prefers to have a little bit more roomy sleeping bag, but I know that when you start getting lower and lower in the digits that it's not an option as it's way too hard to heat that much air. I was considering the Montbell Super Spiral sleeping bag because it's mummy, yet you can move around it in. Unfortunately there's no retailers near here that carry a descent selection, so I can't easily go out and look at them at the store.

I trust the forums opinions, so what's yours on this bag?

Have you tried Earth Traverse? I bought my synthetic Montbell there. If they have one that is similar, she could try it for space and order the model with the insulation level she wants.

LyttleBryan
10-14-2010, 12:59
Have you tried Earth Traverse? I bought my synthetic Montbell there. If they have one that is similar, she could try it for space and order the model with the insulation level she wants.

ETO actually has them? I've never seen them with anything more than the sign.

thanks!

Can't Wait
10-14-2010, 17:53
I have the #2 in 650 down in the super stretch and it's now my TQ until I get a designated one won't go wrong with one

wisenber
10-14-2010, 21:08
ETO actually has them? I've never seen them with anything more than the sign.

thanks!

They had them when I bought mine. My guess is that your main concern is that the concept of the elastic works. I have one of the 15° synthetic ones. I can bend my knees in it and it will stretch enough to handle that without losing heat.
I've used it down to its rated temperature while using an SPE underneath.

At any rate, a comfortable bag is like a comfortable shoe. What works for one might not suit another. She'll have to try it to see if it suits her. Again, if they don't have the warmth rating or fill type you're looking for, tha's not going to matter as much as trying the "style" of bag. If the style works, order what you do want. Just cross Sutherland to the Dark Side . :)

LyttleBryan
10-15-2010, 07:22
They had them when I bought mine. My guess is that your main concern is that the concept of the elastic works. I have one of the 15° synthetic ones. I can bend my knees in it and it will stretch enough to handle that without losing heat.
I've used it down to its rated temperature while using an SPE underneath.

At any rate, a comfortable bag is like a comfortable shoe. What works for one might not suit another. She'll have to try it to see if it suits her. Again, if they don't have the warmth rating or fill type you're looking for, tha's not going to matter as much as trying the "style" of bag. If the style works, order what you do want. Just cross Sutherland to the Dark Side . :)

The problem is, you can't surprise someone if you ask them to try it on before you buy it. I'm going to buy it from somewhere online with a good return policy. Let her try it, and if she likes it then hey the surprise worked and all is well. If she didn't like it, well that's what the return policy is for. I consider the return shipping fee worth the risk of surprising her.

Lonely Raven
10-15-2010, 07:58
You can't go wrong with any of those bags, great stuff!

Now, I'd really like to read said comic. You have a link?h

LyttleBryan
10-28-2010, 13:59
The comic, and then a bunch of people getting defensive of hammocks and suggested reasons why she didn't like it.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20087

Skittles
11-16-2010, 13:47
I have the previous version...UL Super stretch #2. Not spiral. But that this is huge. You would have to pry it from my dead fingers before you would get it away from me. I think it is rated 25 degrees. I am a VERY cold sleeper so anything below 30, I bring my reactor liner. The cloth one that ads like 10 degrees to my set up. That says alot for my freezing butt. We volunteer with the boy scouts and sometimes have to tent it, and she always comes with me. Tenting or hanging.

p.s. I'm a big girl too. 5'10 and very curvy. and I have LOTS of movement room.

She's a lucky girl if she gets one for christmas. I'm so jealous. I would have 10 if I could! :boggle::boggle::boggle::boggle:

Redwood Guy
11-16-2010, 13:57
Agreed that the Montbell Super Spiral sleeping bag is one of the top rated bags out there right now - and for a reason.

tammons
11-16-2010, 18:48
An older model super stretch hugger or the new super spiral is the one to get.
I am big and I can actually sit up in a SS hugger and cross my legs a bit.
Never tried the super spiral though.
Also available in left or right zip.

The regular spiral is roomy and lighter but not as roomy as the super stretch or super spiral bags. Also I think they only come in right zip.

Dont worry about the extra room in either as to heat loss.
The SS hugger/super spiral hugs you so its probably warmer than a normal design mummy.

All the different rated MB SS huggers I have used were honestly rated.

The #3 is good but it does not have a neck baffle.

The old #2 had a neck baffle and was rated for 25dF and I think that was the best 3 season IMO for the MB SS for the weight.

Now they only have a #1 and a #3.
The #1 has the neck baffle and is rated for 15dF.
Still none for the #3 and its rated at 30dF.
30dF might not be warm enough depending on if she is a cold sleeper and the weather
you hike in.

You still might be able to find a #2 somewhere.
Here is what they look like.
The collar makes a big difference.
Wish they would have put it in the #3.

http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_ul_super_stretch_down_hugger_2.html