PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Spike on ENO DN

FontanaHorseman
10-15-2010, 11:47
This may be a dumb question but I have never camped a hammock.

Have read many threads here so am learning.

Have a DN w/Slap Strap Pros and wondered if instead of the caribiner could you take the rope that is on the DN, put it thru the Slap Strap loop and then put a spike thru that? I feel like that is the same principle as the Marlin Spike but I might be missing something & don't want a rude awakening in the middle of the night.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I have a DN for me and am looking at two SN for my two sons, 12 & 11 to use on hikes and BSA campouts.

Thanks, FH

ETA: Oh, HI everyone! Didn't realize this was first post!

weedeater64
10-15-2010, 15:26
Should work, and should increase the life span of the rope on the hammock, if using a toggle larger in diameter than that of the carabiner.

Personally I wouldn't use a toggle in my suspension system. When your in the hammock it would be locked tight, but when you get out and release the tension and move things about there is a chance, slim maybe, but nontheless a chance of it moving.

If it worked its way over to where one end was just barely inserted, you could get an unpleasant suprise.

I didn't care for the small biners on my DN, and replaced them with standard non locking biners. This gave me more room for tying in my ridgeline, and whatever else I might want to do there. Setting up I start with the spike hitch on one end, then on the other end I insert the webbing, pull it taught, and do what speer calls the 4 wrap (2 or 3 in my use) on the biner.

sunstrike
10-15-2010, 15:54
i dont use the slap straps but i use straps from strapworks and use a marlin spike hitch and take my biner around the spike has worked fine for over 10 hangs and no slipping of spike or the biner

eflat7
10-20-2010, 11:53
I have a 7' long piece of amsteel with a locked brummel on each end that I replaced my suspension with. I just run that through my treehuggers and put in a MSH and I'm good to go. Spent over 20 nights in my hammock this year with no slippage. I used aluminum tubes used in tent repair kits for my toggles.

Basically my DN has a long piece of amsteel out of each end I run through a tree hugger and spike hitch it. Fast, easy, and adjustable.

coolkayaker1
10-20-2010, 21:53
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21407

slowwalk
02-22-2011, 20:43
I did away with the slap straps and ordered 7' polyester straps and cinch buckles from Arrowhead Equipement. The cinch buckles come with a length of Chain Link. Marlin Hitched the chain link to existing rope of DN. Has worked well so far.