PDA

View Full Version : SG tarp trick

Kanguru
11-18-2007, 17:39
I was working with my Sportsmans Guide tarp today. Didn't think this belonged in the DIY section since no special skills are needed. Was stuffing the tarp back into the provided bag (too much trouble to fold it) and had an idea which I'm sure someone has thought of but I had not seen posted here. Took a hot needle and made a small hole in the bottom end of the bag and routed one of the upper cords through. Instant Blackbishop sack for the SG tarp. Got the idea from Just Jeff's web page.

neo
11-18-2007, 18:10
I was working with my Sportsmans Guide tarp today. Didn't think this belonged in the DIY section since no special skills are needed. Was stuffing the tarp back into the provided bag (too much trouble to fold it) and had an idea which I'm sure someone has thought of but I had not seen posted here. Took a hot needle and made a small hole in the bottom end of the bag and routed one of the upper cords through. Instant Blackbishop sack for the SG tarp. Got the idea from Just Jeff's web page.

:) sounds good to me another modification the the tarp bag is shorten it
i can stuff my 9x9 tarp down to half the size of the bag:cool: neo

Cannibal
11-19-2007, 09:20
Throw the bag away, stuff the tarp in an outer pocket of your pack. Quick and easy to access. It is a REALLY big bag; just for fun I shoved my SG 9x9, my HH aysm, AND my BlackCat into that bag. Couldn't quite get it shut, but still!

jscalia
11-19-2007, 10:05
I made a bishop bag from the SG tarp stuff sack for my Clark NA with XL fly. Because the Clark stuffs down bigger than most other hammocks it completely fills the SG stuff sack along with the ENO slap straps and carabiners, but it works nicely. The only problem I have is that a lot more rope is outside the hole end of the bag than I would like.

Old Grouse
11-19-2007, 10:18
I stuff my SG tarp, my webbing and my stakes into it, since those other items are likely to be wet or dirty also. Then it goes on the outside of my pack.

Kanguru
11-19-2007, 11:48
Actually I stuff it while one end is still atached then cram it down in the bottom, fold the top over and put my stakes in and wrap the drawstring around before cinching it. This keeps the stakes away from the tarp.

NCPatrick
11-27-2007, 10:54

I think that's exactly how blackbishop started out as well, except he was stuffing his hammock in there instead of his tarp.

Just Jeff
11-28-2007, 06:33
I usually just stuff myself into it, then put it someone else's outside pack pocket. That way I don't have to walk but still get the views.

The only problem I have is that a lot more rope is outside the hole end of the bag than I would like.

My next version will have a small netting pocket on the outside of the bag to stuff ropes into. Keeps them organized, and away from the hammock in case they're too wet.